Testers Announced! Evnroll and Precision Pro ×

Official ruling on 3 minute rule?

Posted (edited)

Please tell me the official ruling on this situation if it occurred in a match play setting... 

Player hit ball into the trees, begins looking and takes around 5 minutes before finally finding the ball. He then finishes the hole with that ball. He did not take a lost ball. 

I could not find any official ruling on what happens when you play a ball that should be considered a "lost ball" according to time rule 18.2. What would happen in this case?

Thanks

Edited by JJBarea

15 minutes ago, JJBarea said:

Please tell me the official ruling on this situation if it occurred in a match play setting... 

Player hit ball into the trees, begins looking and takes around 5 minutes before finally finding the ball. He then finishes the hole with that ball. He did not take a lost ball. 

I could not find any official ruling on what happens when you play a ball that should be considered a "lost ball" according to time rule 18.2. What would happen in this case?

Thanks

My path would be: If the player knew the rule but didn't follow the rule then the committee could apply Rule 1.2a.

https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-of-golf/rule-1.html

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think this is fairly simple. The ball is lost after 3 minutes, based on 18.2.a (1): 

18.2  Ball Lost or Out of Bounds: Stroke-and-Distance Relief Must Be Taken

a. When Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds

(1) When Ball Is Lost. A ball is lost if not found in three minutes after the player or their caddie begins to search for it.

Once the player's ball is deemed lost, he MUST take relief under stroke and distance (or using Model Local Rule E-5, if in effect). 

In this case, since the player did not proceed under stroke and distance, he has played from a wrong place and incurs the General Penalty:
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Rule 18.2: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a.

In match play, the  general penalty is loss of hole.

However, the claim for the penalty / loss of hole must be made before a tee shot is struck on the following hole. If such a claim is not made, then the agreed result of the prior hole stands.

18.2b says:

"If a ball is lost or out of bounds, the player must take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke and playing the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6)."

The Definition of a Wrong Ball includes "The player’s own ball that is out of bounds, has become lost or has been lifted and not yet put back in play."  

So the Player has played a Wrong Ball when he plays his Original ball after the search time has expired.  Rule 6.3c says that playing a Wrong Ball gets the Player the General Penalty, which in Match Play is loss of hole.  That's it, he's lost the hole when he makes a Stroke at the Original (now Wrong) Ball. 

In Stroke Play its a little different, the player MUST abandon the Wrong Ball and continue play with the correct ball.  In this situation, that means he must go back to the location from which he hit the ball into the woods.  The stroke at the Wrong Ball doesn't count, but he does get 2 Penalty Strokes for playing the Wrong Ball, plus 1 PS for the Lost Ball..  If it was his tee shot that went into the woods, he'd be lying 4.  If the player doesn't correct the mistake and begins the next hole, he is DQ.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

In this case, since the player did not proceed under stroke and distance, he has played from a wrong place and incurs the General Penalty:
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Rule 18.2: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a.

While the result is the same, Loss of Hole, he's actually played a Wrong Ball.  Wrong Place is generally used when a Player has dropped a ball.  If he plays a ball where he finds it, whether its his own ball that has become Lost, or another ball that's not his ball in play, its a Wrong Ball.

Edit to add, there's a significant difference between Wrong Ball and Wrong Place.  In many cases, a Wrong Ball isn't a Serious Breach, and so does not have to be corrected (in Stroke Play).  A Wrong Ball MUST be corrected before beginning the next hole in order to avoid DQ.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia