Titleist T200 or Mizuno Pro 245

Morning Everyone, 

I'm in the very early stages of shopping for a new set of irons and would love some help on it. I'm currently a 15.1 HCP but my Arccos tells me my irons compare to that of a 9.8 HCP.

I currently am playing the Titleist 718 AP3 with the AMT Black Shaft S300. I didn't get fitted when I purchased these but have loved these irons since I bought them in 2019. My game is on the up and up recently and trying to figure out what's next. After my little bit of research, I'm narrowing it down to either the new Titleist T200's or the Mizuno Pro 245's. Even though I haven't hit either yet, I'm leaning towards the 245's. They look incredible, seem to be rated pretty highly, and my friends that have Mizuno's wont shut up about them. I know the T200's will probably be more or less the same thing as what I have now, so I know its a safe bet - especially when considering they have the same shafts. So deciding between the two will be all about how I hit both when I do go in for a fitting. 

What's bringing me trouble is shaft selection. I love how my current Titleist's feel and I know a major part of that is these AMT Black shafts. When I went and got fitted for my wedges, the Titleist fitter put me in the same shafts because the taper in the shafts helped my tempo and gave me consistency across the bag. 

My question is: Does Mizuno have any standard shafts that are pretty similar to the AMT Black S300? 

I'm obviously eventually going to get fitted and all that but would like to know if they have a standard option that'll work or if I'll need to save my pennies and have to upgrade. 

Thanks in advance. 

WITB: 

D - TaylorMade SIM2

5W - PXG 0341

3HY - Callaway Apex

4-P - Titleist 718 AP3

48, 54, 60 - Vokey SM9

P - PXG Gunboat II

AMT is pretty unique. I haven't looked at their stock list, but could see them having it. Mizuno is pretty good at having a broad stock options list.

I have to the T200 and like, not love them. No question they are good, just not my favorite...I think I do prefer it to the 245 on shape alone, but that's definitely personal preference. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I cat speak for the T200 but once I switched to Mizuno's (919 Forged) its going to take a special iron for me to leave them. Great feeling and amazing feedback on mishits

As far as shafts Mizuno has lots of shaft options and honestly getting fit is the key. In my opinion don't even worry about shaft selection, just go to some place like Golf Headquarters in Chesapeake(Greenbriar area/Family owned) and they will get you what you need but also what you like the feel of.

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 5i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105-S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Check out my Tests...

Short answer, yes.  Mizuno has 50 custom shaft options at no up charge.  I am not a shaft expert and will reserve comment however within this offering there has to be something that’ll match up.

The T200 line is pretty awesome.  Last year I was between the 223 and T100 and it wasn’t really close…the T100 was far superior for accuracy and forgiveness.  Yes, the Titleist felt as good as a Mizuno but for me, it was more forgiving on mis-hits and is incredibly precise.

If I were to offer a suggestion, I would give the T150 a shot, just to say you did.  You may surprise yourself.  @GolfSpy_APH and @GolfSpy_BEN each played the T150 and T200 during the 2023 Titleist testing and you can read their thoughts in the testing thread.

Good luck in the search!  You’re in the market for some awesome clubs no matter the outcome.

IMG_4942.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I just did a quick check on Golf Galaxy's customizer for the Pro 245. I did not see the AMT shafts in the list. That's not to say you can't get them, but until you see a fitter about it you won't know for sure if they're a free or charged upgrade, or if they're available at all.

Your ultimate answer is to get fit at the most reputable place possible (or find your local Mizuno rep and Titleist rep and see them separately). You might also want to ensure they include the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer as part of the fitting (https://mizunogolf.com/us/custom-fit/). It's not 100%, but it's pretty darn close to showing you exactly what shafts to look at for your swing that day. Needless to say I was shocked at my results last month when I had it done.

You can't go wrong with either brand and/or irons. They're both well reviewed, both here and outside of MGS. It's a matter of what you hit better and like more at your fitting. It's ok to go into your fitting with these 2 options on your mind, but also mention you're open to a mixed set or that you might want to hit the CB's of each group as well to see if that mixed set would be an option. If you hit your irons well like you say, a 243/245 or 150/200 mixed set might be a better option. Just be open to options like this as well as the shafts.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
or
Driver: :callaway-small: Ai Smoke Ti 340 Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter: Maltby Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder & Testing the Vortex Anarch Rangefinder.

Very interested in this topic as I'm in the exact situation you are. I was fitted into Mizuno JPX HM 923 and 1.25 years later looking at the more at the Players Distance category.

as of May 7, 2024

Driver:    Titleist TSR2 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI 6-SR

Wood:    Taylormade SIM2 Steel 3 wood 15.5° w/ Fuji Ventus Blue 6-S VeloC

Hybrid:   Ping 425 3 19° 

Irons:      Mizuno JPX 923 4-GW w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460 F3

Wedge:  Mizuno T22 54°/58° degree w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460 F3

Putter:   Scotty Newport 2.5+/Odessey White Hot OG1 SL (alternate  

Balls:      Maxfi Tour X / Bridgestone B-RX / Titleist Pro V1x (depends how I feel that day)

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

Your ultimate answer is to get fit at the most reputable place possible (or find your local Mizuno rep and Titleist rep and see them separately). You might also want to ensure they include the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer as part of the fitting (https://mizunogolf.com/us/custom-fit/). It's not 100%, but it's pretty darn close to showing you exactly what shafts to look at for your swing that day. Needless to say I was shocked at my results last month when I had it done.

Great advice right here.

You may find that another option outperforms and feels better than the AMT.  Regardless, you’re setting yourself up for an awesome set of irons! 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 hours ago, JAYER38 said:

I cat speak for the T200 but once I switched to Mizuno's (919 Forged) its going to take a special iron for me to leave them. Great feeling and amazing feedback on mishits

As far as shafts Mizuno has lots of shaft options and honestly getting fit is the key. In my opinion don't even worry about shaft selection, just go to some place like Golf Headquarters in Chesapeake(Greenbriar area/Family owned) and they will get you what you need but also what you like the feel of.

Already planning to get fitted at Golf Headquarters! 

WITB: 

D - TaylorMade SIM2

5W - PXG 0341

3HY - Callaway Apex

4-P - Titleist 718 AP3

48, 54, 60 - Vokey SM9

P - PXG Gunboat II