Pinehurst: Booking without staying at the resort

I know it technically is possible to get a tee time without staying. I know its limited to only a few of the courses. But realistically how likely is it? Trying to plan out my time I know I basically have to call and hope for the best the day before are some days more likely than others? Just curious if anyone has experience specially this year with the open adding some extra incentive.  

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

I actually just watched a video on Pinehurst by Mr ShortGame on youtube.  There was a rep from the course who said non members can book 24 hours before the day they want to go but tee times may be limited and there is only 3 of the courses available too you.  The place looks amazing though!!

SCUBA and Golf!! I love to golf during my surface intervals!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I play at Pinehurst with some degree of regularity and have never stayed there. Which means I haven't played #2, #4, #6, #7, #8 or #10. The ones I have played, and you can book each of them by phone the day before you want to play, are #1, #3 and The Cradle. Don't sleep on The Cradle. Yes it's a par 3 loop, but it's a heckuva lot of fun and you can play all day for $50 if it's not too busy. #5 is also bookable by phone for non-guests but I haven't played it yet; that may be my next Pinehurst adventure.

Notice what I said about the day before. That's the only time. Don't try to book them three weeks in advance. Now day of play, if they have openings, they can squeeze you in, but basically if you wanna play Thursday, call Wednesday morning. I've never tried to play on a weekend and they always seem to be very busy on the weekdays I'm there. Also, if you book by phone, they'll take your credit card number and charge you if you don't show up, and there are no refunds for inclement weather.

Also should be noted that when I played #1, they were putting up stuff on the 1st and 18th fairways for the Open and I'm not sure if they're open to the public now or not. But the Open will be gone in two weeks and they'll take that temporary stuff down. EDIT: Just checked the website; #1 is completely closed until June 23 and will be a 16-hole loop until July 23 when they get the temporary stuff taken down.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

17 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I play at Pinehurst with some degree of regularity and have never stayed there. Which means I haven't played #2, #4, #6, #7, #8 or #10. The ones I have played, and you can book each of them by phone the day before you want to play, are #1, #3 and The Cradle. Don't sleep on The Cradle. Yes it's a par 3 loop, but it's a heckuva lot of fun and you can play all day for $50 if it's not too busy. #5 is also bookable by phone for non-guests but I haven't played it yet; that may be my next Pinehurst adventure.

Notice what I said about the day before. That's the only time. Don't try to book them three weeks in advance. Now day of play, if they have openings, they can squeeze you in, but basically if you wanna play Thursday, call Wednesday morning. I've never tried to play on a weekend and they always seem to be very busy on the weekdays I'm there. Also, if you book by phone, they'll take your credit card number and charge you if you don't show up, and there are no refunds for inclement weather.

Also should be noted that when I played #1, they were putting up stuff on the 1st and 18th fairways for the Open and I'm not sure if they're open to the public now or not. But the Open will be gone in two weeks and they'll take that temporary stuff down. EDIT: Just checked the website; #1 is completely closed until June 23 and will be a 16-hole loop until July 23 when they get the temporary stuff taken down.

That's awesome you can get in to play as much as you do!  I love par 3 courses , and will move on different tee boxes to make them play like par 4 or 5s.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

That's all really helpful info thanks! yeah at this point just to have the opportunity to see the resort while I'm there I would 100% play the cradle if that's the only option. Hopefully they aren't terribly busy post open and I am able to make it on.  I did book a tee time at tobacco road. So excited to get at least two rounds in while I'm down there. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven