Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tip Trim or Butt Trim

I now have two drivers, the Callaway Razr Fit with a GD Tour ADDI 7 shaft that plays 46 inches. I loved this driver and was hitting it further than I have consistantly hit a driver in many years. When I started putting together another complete set I put together a different driver. I reshafted my Titleist 909D3 with a Motore F1 that had been tip trimmed a couple of inches to a 44 inch playing length.

Because it is tipped it has much less spin than it did before, and all of a sudden I am averaging 10 more yards with the shorter shaft. So this weekend I played the Callaway again, and I hated it. I played it again today and it was horrible. I was all over the place and while I did hit a couple of great drives with it, my competiitors even remarked that they have never seen me make shots like that. They strike the ball like that but I typically do not. Part of the problem is that I am overswinging with this driver trying to replicate the results I get with the other driver.

So I am considering cutting down the shaft of the Callaway, but do not know if I should butt trim it or tip trim it. I will admit that I am not too crazy about putting heat to the end of the Callaway removable hosel.

But does butt trimming have much effect on the flex or the spin? I know tip trimming does. Does butt trimming have more effect than just choking down on it?

Please enlighten me on the way to go.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

errrrrrrr........why not just sell it and play the D3?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

OK butt trimming does not effect the flex or spin on a shaft. Once you begin to tip trim a shaft more than 1/2" you start to make it stiffer(which is why you are getting less spin) Ex. If you take a R shaft and look at the flex points of the shaft, most of the time you can tip trim it one inch and it will be closer to a true S flex.

The best thing I can say for you to do is get another Motore F1 and get it set up the same way as your 909 and put it in your cally.

Hope this helps!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I like the higher flight of the ADDI and I willl have a complete set of clubs in two different locations.

And does butt trimming cause it to feel any different than choking down on it?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If you start to tip trim the AD DI you will significantly start dropping the flight because it will be stiffer with less spin. I would suggest to just watch you tempo, you have probably been able to really get after the ball with the 909 with the shaft stiffened up, just ease up your swing and let the AD DI do the work and you should start hitting it just as well again.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Tip trimming will make it play stiffer and will lower the spin rates and launch angle. You're lowering the flex point of the shaft (kick point if you want to use the antiquated term).

Butt trimming, unless cutting a ton off the butt, won't effect stiffness, and at the point it does, it's not enough to make a difference.

I'm guessing that the shorter, 44 inch playing length fits you better than the 46 inch length. Have you done a wrist to floor measurement and height measurement to get your optimal driver length? FWIW, the average driver length on the PGA Tour is 44.5". They do it for accuracy, as a 44.5" club is much easier to control than a 46" driver length.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I think with your D3/44.5" driver, you are probably hitting the sweet spot more than you Cally/46" driver. Even missing the sweet spot by 1/4", you will lose distance, when given a same swing.

Now, knowing you get 10 yards more with "shorter" driver, it sounds like you are trying to compensate that with harder swing with 46" driver...which is making you lose control with the driver.

I would butt trim (and it will have impact on swing weight) to 45", and choke down 1/2". And make same swing as D3, not any harder.

If you have 2 different shaft with 2 different heads, it will be very hard to match the 2 to play the exactly the same.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Tip trimming will make it play stiffer and will lower the spin rates and launch angle. You're lowering the flex point of the shaft (kick point if you want to use the antiquated term).

Butt trimming, unless cutting a ton off the butt, won't effect stiffness, and at the point it does, it's not enough to make a difference.

I'm guessing that the shorter, 44 inch playing length fits you better than the 46 inch length. Have you done a wrist to floor measurement and height measurement to get your optimal driver length? FWIW, the average driver length on the PGA Tour is 44.5". They do it for accuracy, as a 44.5" club is much easier to control than a 46" driver length.

yup good post here, the only thing that I noticed when i cut mine down from 45.00 to 44.50" is that I had to add 4g of weight to get the same swing weight or feel of a swing weight that I had at 45.00". I added two weights to the button of the sole, one on the toe one on the heel making sure they sat an equal distance from the face.

Here is a link of what I used, one square on each side of the head --> http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0054

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

A few things come to mind.

One the shorter length is probably putting you into the best part of the club resulting in better flight.

Two, the two shafts are of different profiles and the Motore most likely is a better fit than the other shaft.

Also the lofts might also be a better fit even if they say te same loft they may NOT be.

I think choke down an 1.5 inches and see if it works

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived