RoverRick

Tip Trim or Butt Trim

Our Sponsors

I now have two drivers, the Callaway Razr Fit with a GD Tour ADDI 7 shaft that plays 46 inches. I loved this driver and was hitting it further than I have consistantly hit a driver in many years. When I started putting together another complete set I put together a different driver. I reshafted my Titleist 909D3 with a Motore F1 that had been tip trimmed a couple of inches to a 44 inch playing length.

Because it is tipped it has much less spin than it did before, and all of a sudden I am averaging 10 more yards with the shorter shaft. So this weekend I played the Callaway again, and I hated it. I played it again today and it was horrible. I was all over the place and while I did hit a couple of great drives with it, my competiitors even remarked that they have never seen me make shots like that. They strike the ball like that but I typically do not. Part of the problem is that I am overswinging with this driver trying to replicate the results I get with the other driver.

So I am considering cutting down the shaft of the Callaway, but do not know if I should butt trim it or tip trim it. I will admit that I am not too crazy about putting heat to the end of the Callaway removable hosel.

But does butt trimming have much effect on the flex or the spin? I know tip trimming does. Does butt trimming have more effect than just choking down on it?

Please enlighten me on the way to go.

OK butt trimming does not effect the flex or spin on a shaft. Once you begin to tip trim a shaft more than 1/2" you start to make it stiffer(which is why you are getting less spin) Ex. If you take a R shaft and look at the flex points of the shaft, most of the time you can tip trim it one inch and it will be closer to a true S flex.

The best thing I can say for you to do is get another Motore F1 and get it set up the same way as your 909 and put it in your cally.

Hope this helps!!!

I like the higher flight of the ADDI and I willl have a complete set of clubs in two different locations.

And does butt trimming cause it to feel any different than choking down on it?

If you start to tip trim the AD DI you will significantly start dropping the flight because it will be stiffer with less spin. I would suggest to just watch you tempo, you have probably been able to really get after the ball with the 909 with the shaft stiffened up, just ease up your swing and let the AD DI do the work and you should start hitting it just as well again.

Tip trimming will make it play stiffer and will lower the spin rates and launch angle. You're lowering the flex point of the shaft (kick point if you want to use the antiquated term).

Butt trimming, unless cutting a ton off the butt, won't effect stiffness, and at the point it does, it's not enough to make a difference.

I'm guessing that the shorter, 44 inch playing length fits you better than the 46 inch length. Have you done a wrist to floor measurement and height measurement to get your optimal driver length? FWIW, the average driver length on the PGA Tour is 44.5". They do it for accuracy, as a 44.5" club is much easier to control than a 46" driver length.

I think with your D3/44.5" driver, you are probably hitting the sweet spot more than you Cally/46" driver. Even missing the sweet spot by 1/4", you will lose distance, when given a same swing.

Now, knowing you get 10 yards more with "shorter" driver, it sounds like you are trying to compensate that with harder swing with 46" driver...which is making you lose control with the driver.

I would butt trim (and it will have impact on swing weight) to 45", and choke down 1/2". And make same swing as D3, not any harder.

If you have 2 different shaft with 2 different heads, it will be very hard to match the 2 to play the exactly the same.

Tip trimming will make it play stiffer and will lower the spin rates and launch angle. You're lowering the flex point of the shaft (kick point if you want to use the antiquated term).

Butt trimming, unless cutting a ton off the butt, won't effect stiffness, and at the point it does, it's not enough to make a difference.

I'm guessing that the shorter, 44 inch playing length fits you better than the 46 inch length. Have you done a wrist to floor measurement and height measurement to get your optimal driver length? FWIW, the average driver length on the PGA Tour is 44.5". They do it for accuracy, as a 44.5" club is much easier to control than a 46" driver length.

yup good post here, the only thing that I noticed when i cut mine down from 45.00 to 44.50" is that I had to add 4g of weight to get the same swing weight or feel of a swing weight that I had at 45.00". I added two weights to the button of the sole, one on the toe one on the heel making sure they sat an equal distance from the face.

Here is a link of what I used, one square on each side of the head --> http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0054

A few things come to mind.

One the shorter length is probably putting you into the best part of the club resulting in better flight.

Two, the two shafts are of different profiles and the Motore most likely is a better fit than the other shaft.

Also the lofts might also be a better fit even if they say te same loft they may NOT be.

I think choke down an 1.5 inches and see if it works