Testers Announced! Evnroll and Precision Pro ×

Seeking Advice on Ideal Club Setup for a 10-Handicapper

AlexRavn92

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling a lot lately trying to find the perfect setup for me.

I've been struggling lately to find the perfect setup for my game. My current setup is as follows:

• Driver: Ping G425 (270-250 yards)
  • 2 Hybrid: Ping G425, set to 16 degrees (230-240 yards)
  • 4 Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max, 22 degrees (195-210 yards)
  • 2 Driving Iron: Titleist U505, 18 degrees (220-235 yards)
  • 4 Iron: Taylormade M2, 19 degrees (190-200 yards)

As some of you might notice, this setup is quite redundant.

About a year ago, my 3 wood broke, and I replaced it with a 2 hybrid after watching many YouTube reviews that praised its ease of use and forgiveness. Initially, it worked okay, but I have now lost all confidence in my hybrids. My mishits range from hooks to fades/slices, and despite spending time on the range, I find these clubs unreliable. I feel uncomfortable standing over the ball and looking at the hybrid's head.

Nowadays, on short par 4s, I prefer using my driving iron because I'm SO confident with it and my miss is usually just a fade. I also rarely go for the green on par 5s, opting instead for better course management and laying up to a preferred distance. However, if I had a club I trusted, I'd like to occasionally attempt reaching the green in two.

• Should I go the traditional route and bring in a 3 wood and get rid of the hybrids? (3 wood, driving iron, 4 iron)
  • Would a 5 wood be better since they are easier to hit and becoming more popular? (5 wood, driving iron, 4 iron)
  • Do I even need a fairway wood given how well my driving iron is performing?

Thanks for your advice!

Driver - Ping G425 - stiff

Woods - Ping G425 2 hybrid - TaylorMade Sim2 Max 4 Hybrid - both stiff

Driving Iron: Titleist U505 2 iron - stiff

Irons - TaylorMade M2 - 4-P - stiff

Wedges - 56 & 50 Titlest SM9 Vokey

Putter - LAB Golf Link 1

Backup Putters: Odyssey O-Works #1

Ball - Srixon Q star tour

Bag - Vessel Player 3

Current handicap: 9.5

13 minutes ago, AlexRavn92 said:

I also rarely go for the green on par 5s, opting instead for better course management and laying up to a preferred distance.

• Should I go the traditional route and bring in a 3 wood and get rid of the hybrids? (3 wood, driving iron, 4 iron)
  • Would a 5 wood be better since they are easier to hit and becoming more popular? (5 wood, driving iron, 4 iron)
  • Do I even need a fairway wood given how well my driving iron is performing?

Thanks for your advice!

My opinion: 

playing to a preferred distance is outdated course management.  

as for the clubs to put in your bag, you need to figure out what works.  You don’t like hybrids so I would remove them.   Don’t know how you hit fairway woods, but that is the direction many people are going.  I’d probably do 4 wood over 3 wood.   What I would suggest is that you hit the various options and see what covers the gaps you need filled.  

there is no might or wrong answer, figure out what works.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@AlexRavn92 if you don’t like hitting hybrids, then take them out. Why don’t you try adding 3W and 5W to the mix, and see what makes you most comfortable.

Or what about a mini-driver?

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

My opinion: 

as for the clubs to put in your bag, you need to figure out what works.  You don’t like hybrids so I would remove them.   Don’t know how you hit fairway woods, but that is the direction many people are going.  I’d probably do 4 wood over 3 wood.   What I would suggest is that you hit the various options and see what covers the gaps you need filled.  

there is no might or wrong answer, figure out what works.  

This here sums it all up.

I would suggest diving into strokes gained and course management approaches like decade and others out there

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would suggest diving into strokes gained and course management approaches like decade and others out there

^This right here.  The closer to the hole you are the less strokes it'll take you to hole out OP. 

I'm right in line with you index wise and I've got a setup at the top of the bag that I tinker with constantly.  I prioritize forgiveness and general accuracy.  I want consistent distance I can rely on and enough accuracy that I can rely in hitting into a large zone (larger than a green).  The aim is to get as far down the fairway as possible on my second shot into Par 5's (closer to the hole = better) or in the general area of the green on longer shots.   So long as I stay out of trouble and end up somewhere inside 115 yards I consider it a win.  It's taken a lot of pressure off the use of my longer clubs.   

Additionally, I've read that most pros are just aiming to hit the green with their woods and hybrids and have developed realistic expectations of proximity to the hole when I have one of those clubs in hand.  It's changed how I aim with them.  I know my dispersion pattern (It's right biased from my aim point) and I've sold out on the DECADE system by aiming those longer clubs by trying to center that dispersion circle on the green. 

So in answer to your top end setup.  I'd go with whatever gives you consistent distance, reasonable accuracy, and flexibility.  I'm going to be playing Thursday with a 3 wood and 2 hybrid.  The 3 wood to grab chunks of yardage and the 2-hybrid because I find it silly flexible for distance.  It can cover everything I need between my 4 iron and the 3 wood.   It may look silly on paper but I've played it before with good results.  Last, after you've settled the top end, you'll likely have some space in the bag for another club, I'd fill that with something on the bottom end that'll help you score.

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

I'm no where near your handicap level but here's my 2 cents...

Hit whatever you have confidence in. I had a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid that I basically knew I was going to mishit every time I grabbed them and they essentially took up a spot in my bag. I tried a 5 wood and loved it so I traded the other 2 in. I then discovered an 11 wood (which I didn't even know that they were made) and it was so easy to hit, I went and bought a matching 7 wood. Now I carry a driver, 5 wood, 7 wood & 11 wood. I still carry a 4 hybrid because I can't hit my woods out of the rough but if I ever figure out how, the hybrid will come out of the bag too.

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

It's been helping me lose a lot fewer balls, because I don't try to hit those hybrids or woods from the fairway and risk hitting it OB or it landing in the rough or under a tree with a tough shot to the green.
But sounds like a trip to the local golf store is needed, to try the various options.

1 hour ago, Hacker60521 said:

@AlexRavn92 if you don’t like hitting hybrids, then take them out. Why don’t you try adding 3W and 5W to the mix, and see what makes you most comfortable.

Or what about a mini-driver?

Yeah that is the conclusion I've come to as well. I guess I was to stuck on everybody saying they are 'easier" to hit, and was trying to make them work.

I think a trip to the local store to try the 3 and 5 wood, I do like the idea of a 5 wood as I think it would be easier to hit of the fairway.
I thought about the mini driver, but I don't think personally I would be able to use it off the fairway. I tried a buddy of mines new TaylorMade mini driver, and at first impression had trouble figuring out how to hit it.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This here sums it all up.

I actually recently got the ShotScope watch to help with statistics like this, so hopefully I can have some data soon to help me out.

Driver - Ping G425 - stiff

Woods - Ping G425 2 hybrid - TaylorMade Sim2 Max 4 Hybrid - both stiff

Driving Iron: Titleist U505 2 iron - stiff

Irons - TaylorMade M2 - 4-P - stiff

Wedges - 56 & 50 Titlest SM9 Vokey

Putter - LAB Golf Link 1

Backup Putters: Odyssey O-Works #1

Ball - Srixon Q star tour

Bag - Vessel Player 3

Current handicap: 9.5

1 hour ago, Syks7 said:

Additionally, I've read that most pros are just aiming to hit the green with their woods and hybrids and have developed realistic expectations of proximity to the hole when I have one of those clubs in hand.  It's changed how I aim with them.  I know my dispersion pattern (It's right biased from my aim point) and I've sold out on the DECADE system by aiming those longer clubs by trying to center that dispersion circle on the green. 

I think this is where a large number of amateurs hurt themselves followed by putting. They are fooled by the tv with images of greens being hit and almost all 5-15’ (for the most part) putts made by pro. And old golf buddy was frustrated by his putting based on what he saw on tv then realized tv only shows the made putts.

Many are fooled into thinking that pros are sticking shots close to the pin with wedges when in reality they aren’t as close as perceived.

Understanding the data allows for better expectations and dealing with missed shots or even not being disappointed when a good shot isn’t as close as they think it should be

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you don't have any data from your Shot Scope yet, then take some time to review recent rounds. Think through how you played them and what clubs you used most in that top end of the bag. How did those shots go? Could you have used a different club than what you did, but didn't have? What's your confidence level with what you have, when those shots came up in the rounds? Were you dreading the shot with that club?

The answer may take a little time to determine, and a few trips to the golf shop. If possible, find a quality fitter in your area and set up a fitting for the top end of your bag. Go in without any biases and be open to whatever turns the fitting takes. Have an idea of what you think will be a proper makeup, but have that open dialog with the fitter about your game and what has and has not worked for you. Your issue with the hybrids may just be those particular ones or possibly the shafts in them. The fitting will help work that out.

Trying to figure out certain parts of our bag can be stressful and sometimes daunting. But it can also be a lot of fun to test out other equipment at the shop and research stuff (Lord knows I love my golf spreadsheets).

But it's worth taking some time to sit down and really review how you play on the course with the top end of your bag. What you like to look down on at address, what you feel most confident with, and what you don't are all factors in these decisions. I'm a bit of a traditionalist in my make up today - 3w/5w/5h, but I'll be exploring it more over the coming months with replacing my 5-iron and switching in/out the 5h with a 7w. It's all personal preference since all of our games are different.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

On 6/10/2024 at 9:06 AM, AlexRavn92 said:

I've been struggling lately to find the perfect setup for my game. My current setup is as follows:

• Driver: Ping G425 (270-250 yards)
  • 2 Hybrid: Ping G425, set to 16 degrees (230-240 yards)
  • 4 Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max, 22 degrees (195-210 yards)
  • 2 Driving Iron: Titleist U505, 18 degrees (220-235 yards)
  • 4 Iron: Taylormade M2, 19 degrees (190-200 yards)

Its the age old problem at the top of the bag.  

The short answer is that there is no correct answer. 

Your yardages with the long clubs are very close to mine. My Top of Bag setup is currently Driver (265 carry), 16° hybrid (230 carry), 17° 2 iron (220 carry)  21° 4 iron (205 carry).  I do also own a 15° 3 wood and an 18° 5 wood that can make it into rotation if the course setup demands it. I rarely change from my stock setup, but it is nice to have options.

As far as usage and course management go, I will hit Driver everywhere, unless there is a dogleg or trouble in the landing zone, then 2 iron is my club of choice from the tee. I will almost never hit 2 iron from the fairway or rough. I get much better results from 16° hybrid or 4 iron.  I'm not getting to many 525 yard +par 5's in two anymore, so the need for a 3 wood that travels 250 is reduced.  On a typical 500 yard hole, I'd hit driver (265) and leave myself 235. This is a stretch for the hybrid, but I can maybe get a forward bounce.  525+? no chance..  

I really think that in your situation, I would try and find a club that carries that 230 number off of the deck. I don't care what its called, but I think that is the key number for you.   Try different lofted woods, even up to a 20° or 21° fairway. I used to have a 24° 9 wood that I could carry 220 yards but miles high.  It was a great club for me when I was younger and hit it a bit farther..

Cant wait to hear what you decide on...  Good Luck!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip