Launch Lab? Nah... Just a murdered Fast12 LS

Our Sponsors

Etch the chrome with mutation acid if you have to DIY (I wouldn't, it creates hexavalent chromium) or take them and have the chrome stripped then do either a black ox or flame finish on them. They look good that way.

They look good only for a while. I've never found a way of coating forged irons that were worth the trouble, except having them plated again. The alternative is to leave them raw until they develop an even dark patina and use them that way. The most difficult part of this is leaving them alone during the transition period. They look disgusting and there is a strong temptation to treat the splotches that develop that must be resisted. Once you get past that the clubs maintain their looks so well you need to think a bit to remember how old they actually are. At that point maintenance is just a matter of keeping them clean with water and a stiff nylon brush to avoid developing pits.

The alternative is to use rust converter which gives it a color. Mine became a dirty grey/white. That also comes off with use but can be reapplied with just a brush and let dry. This becomes old after a while for me, but some people enjoy the time usage.

Shambles

I like it, I don't mind the gray crown on mine but that black crown looks slick, The paint fill I would have gone blood red personally. But the blue doesn't look bad either.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I like it, I don't mind the gray crown on mine but that black crown looks slick, The paint fill I would have gone blood red personally. But the blue doesn't look bad either.

I'm about to redo it again. I'm going ultra flat matte black on the crown and smoke grey paintfill.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Well, the ultra matte black is on now. Curing as I type. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Here it is with the matte black polymer. I actually had to do the polymer twice because the first time I screwed up and bumped into it before I got it into the baking apparatus.

Oh, and the paintfill is in now and drying. It's white.

She's shipping out tomorrow in a trade.

DSC04672.jpg

DSC04666.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04669.jpg

DSC04671.jpg

In The Bag

Dayum that's sharp. Makes me want to paint my R11 :unsure:

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE OF GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.6 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, JULY 2020
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B RXS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

They look good only for a while. I've never found a way of coating forged irons that were worth the trouble, except having them plated again. The alternative is to leave them raw until they develop an even dark patina and use them that way. The most difficult part of this is leaving them alone during the transition period. They look disgusting and there is a strong temptation to treat the splotches that develop that must be resisted. Once you get past that the clubs maintain their looks so well you need to think a bit to remember how old they actually are. At that point maintenance is just a matter of keeping them clean with water and a stiff nylon brush to avoid developing pits.

The alternative is to use rust converter which gives it a color. Mine became a dirty grey/white. That also comes off with use but can be reapplied with just a brush and let dry. This becomes old after a while for me, but some people enjoy the time usage.

Shambles

I'm a patina guy myself. But I'm also impatient, so as an alternative, I use Plum Brown and reapply until the natural method takes hold. This gives me the dark finish I want until it naturally develops on it's own.

In The Bag

Shambles

You can also use gun blue on them. It wears off but you can reapply it as needed and it is really simple and not a messy job. Just put some on a cloth and wipe them down they look good as new. I have done this on some wedges and reapply it in the kitchen and my wife has never complained. so if is has a wife seal of approval in the kitchen, you know it is not messy or stinky.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

You can also use gun blue on them. It wears off but you can reapply it as needed and it is really simple and not a messy job. Just put some on a cloth and wipe them down they look good as new. I have done this on some wedges and reapply it in the kitchen and my wife has never complained. so if is has a wife seal of approval in the kitchen, you know it is not messy or stinky.

That's what Plum Brown is. Another rust color control method (that's all black ox is in the cold form, controlling the color of rapidly rusting). Thing that sucks is if you have a sandy range or hit a bunker shot, it's gone after 1 ball. That's why I use plum brown because I like dark patina (see rust). The plum brown lasts a little longer and you don't notice when the rust starts forming on its own. Close to the same application method as cold black ox.

Here's one I recently did in plum brown:

DSC04591.jpg

In The Bag

Is there an easy DIY way to strip off the chrome?

In my bag, JULY 2020

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Is there an easy DIY way to strip off the chrome?

You can try it, but that club was a raw wedge off the tour van. The only way I know to etch chrome at home, and people have had success with it, is to use muratic acid to etch it. I'm not going to try it, ever. Why? You have to have a hazmat license to get rid of the waste (or are suppose to). When stripping chrome with muratic acid, you are creating hexavalent chromium. Sounds like a funny name? Sound familiar? Ever heard of Erin Brockavich? Hexavalent Chromium is what made her famous.

In The Bag

You can try it, but that club was a raw wedge off the tour van. The only way I know to etch chrome at home, and people have had success with it, is to use muratic acid to etch it. I'm not going to try it, ever. Why? You have to have a hazmat license to get rid of the waste (or are suppose to). When stripping chrome with muratic acid, you are creating hexavalent chromium. Sounds like a funny name? Sound familiar? Ever heard of Erin Brockavich? Hexavalent Chromium is what made her famous.

So I can't dump the waste can in the back 40 eh? ;)

I'm pretty rural, so it's unlikely I'll find one, but I'll look for a shop that will do it without raping me on price.

In my bag, JULY 2020

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

So I can't dump the waste can in the back 40 eh? ;)

I'm pretty rural, so it's unlikely I'll find one, but I'll look for a shop that will do it without raping me on price.

Find a chrome shop that does automotive parts. If they can apply chrome, they can strip chrome. Most should be under $10 to just add it to their next dip.

In The Bag

• 2 months later...

I'm getting a Z-Star 5 wood that's in pretty rough shape this week. I want to do something like this to it myself. Where do I get the polymer coating? How do I apply it? If I did cook it in the food oven would there be any consequences? Any way you can write some detailed instructions RB7?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue