Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why I can't stand Bubba!

gkatshoots69

Everyone is in love with Bubba right now but whenever I see him on TV I'm reminded how much I don't care for him. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way...

•Learn to hit a straight ball, maybe if you didn't try to always bend it so much you'd stay out of trouble and make a run at winning more tournaments. Right now you're just showing off and soon people will realize that's not the best way to play the game.

•Lose the watch or get others. You wear the same plain boring white watch every week and do you even pay attention to what time it is when you're playing? Switch it up, wear different colors or you know what, you're a guy, you don't need to accessorize on the golf course! It actually probably comes in handy though for the 5 minute rule while searching for your ball in the woods.

•When you hit a bad shot, own up to it, don't look up into the sky like the wind changed the ball flight, or the ground caused the major hook that landed you in the sand trap. You're not a perfect ball striker so just deal with it.

•During the majors, change your clothes! Masters was all white, US Open I couldn't tell you because you weren't around long enough to see on tv, and @ The Open, all black. What's the deal? your clother is Travis Matthew and you can't tell me he doesn't have a million different designs for you?

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, those are some pretty dumb reasons, but to each his own.

X2.....and pretty superficial at that.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Pretty ridiculous post here. Thoughts such as these are probably best kept to yourself. Bubba is a standup guy, theres no need for this.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

I knew posting this no one would be on my side but thats what a forum is for, to post things on my mind. Bubba just isn't my kind of guy and those are a few reasons and not dumb ones, why I can't stand watching him. Thanks R.P.!

•Learn to hit a straight ball, maybe if you didn't try to always bend it so much you'd stay out of trouble and make a run at winning more tournaments. Right now you're just showing off and soon people will realize that's not the best way to play the game.

Interesting comment from someone that says they are a 3.2 handicap. I have never seen a good player ever hit a perfectly straight ball consistently. Just the way that golf is played makes a perfectly straight shot almost impossible. By perfectly straight I mean 0 amount of sidespin when sitting on a Launch Monitor. 1 - 5 yards of draw or fade is still not straight it has curve to it, so when people say that is "straight" they are wrong in their terminology, It is a very small amount of curve or a BABY curve. a 1 yard curve is about as close to "straight" as most golfer get. It is always easier to control the amount of curve on a ball then force the issue of hitting a ball as straight as possible.

As far as I know 99% of very good players attempt to control the amount of curve they put on the golf ball, To hit a straight shot for a lot of players that takes holding off the release a touch to keep from hitting a hook, holding it off even more to produce a fade. You are manipulating the face for control regardless of if you are hitting a 30 yard curve or a 1 yard curve.

This sort of goes against the theory of learning to hit the straight ball does it, given it is 100 times harder to hit one perfectly straight then to control the curve.

•When you hit a bad shot, own up to it, don't look up into the sky like the wind changed the ball flight, or the ground caused the major hook that landed you in the sand trap. You're not a perfect ball striker so just deal with it.

Who is to say that he is not looking at the sky for other reasons as a reaction to seeing his lie? A lot of players look at the sky like "oh s*** I'm in trouble now". I know a lot of players look for clouds and the top of trees to get the wind calculation for their next shot. It could be 100 other reasons then what you just stated here.

•Lose the watch or get others. You wear the same plain boring white watch every week and do you even pay attention to what time it is when you're playing? Switch it up, wear different colors or you know what, you're a guy, you don't need to accessorize on the golf course! It actually probably comes in handy though for the 5 minute rule while searching for your ball in the woods.

•During the majors, change your clothes! Masters was all white, US Open I couldn't tell you because you weren't around long enough to see on tv, and @ The Open, all black. What's the deal? your clother is Travis Matthew and you can't tell me he doesn't have a million different designs for you?

•Get a haircut; you're a professional. Would you have that mop if you worked in an office setting?

•Seriously, a pink driver? Once again, you're a guy, you don't need to accessorize on the golf course.

Hmm interesting comments this is not meant to be offensive but a serious question not a personal attack... Are you a women, homosexual or metrosexual?

The style of his watch, the fact he didn't change his clothing, hair style, Travis Matthew? I don't even know who the hell Travis Mathew even is. It is interesting you made a comment about the pink driver being a bad thing. I figured that with the comments you made about his clothing style and watch you would have been all for the pink driver as most people that fall into the three categories I listed would also think Pink is in for men.

I will notice some things about clothing styles, but don't know designers names and as long as my women is happy with how I look that's what I care about. If she wanted me to wear something that was gawd awful ugly I wouldn't do it, I still have a since of style on my own. I guess you could classify myself as a semi metrosexual not full blown one however. I think pink can look good on some men depending on their skin color, I'm conferable with my sexuality to admit that. I think some guys on tour dress with more style then others, Bubba happens to be one that doesn't oh well he can still play golf who cares.

I don't see how someone dresses reflects on them as a person unless you don't care to get past their appearance to get to know their personality. I don't pass judgement on anyone for the ethnic background, clothing styles, sexual orientation, the way they sound / talk, or anything else that is just the tip of the ice berg. I wait until I actually know that person to pass a judgement on them.

As for Bubba's Golf game in general, I am not going to sit here and say it is a bad way to play golf, he is on tour and has won a major. Who am I as a 4.8 handicap to judge him for how he wants to get the ball from point A to Point B in the fewest strokes possible. I know dang well he would smoke me straight up in a match. Only thing that I can offer is that I would not TEACH that golf swing to anyone, just like I would not TEACH Rickie Fowler's or Jim Furyk's golf swings to someone.

None of these points you have matter in the over all scheme of things called life and really dictate Bubba as a PERSON, they only grip about how he plays a silly game that really doesn't matter that much.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I read this earlier this morning, and gave some thought as to weather I needed to comment on it. I have decided that I have not had enough to drink to argue these points. Of course, it is just 10:35 am on a Monday so I may come back to it.:P

Nice to hear your opinion, but I do not share it.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I read this earlier this morning, and gave some thought as to weather I needed to comment on it. I have decided that I have not had enough to drink to argue these points. Of course, it is just 10:35 am on a Monday so I may come back to it.:P

Nice to hear your opinion, but I do not share it.

well I think I made it clear where I stand on it and that is all I am offering on the subject take it or leave it :)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

well I think I made it clear where I stand on it and that is all I am offering on the subject take it or leave it :)

JM, I was referring to the original post and had not read your's when I wrote mine. My original reaction was WTF and then I remember what my lawyer friend told me one day while we were in the bar after a round of golf and I got into an arguement with a guy on his 7th Crown and Coke. "Only a fool will argue with a drunk." So I thought of the reverse of that is true, and if I have enough to drink I will argue these points. :P

I'm even in the greater minority - I'm neutral on Bubba - don't know him well enough yet to have a strong opinion. In another golf forum that I'm on we have a poll question of the week and a few weeks back the question was - who will be the first to win a second major championship Bubba or Web Simpson - I wanted a third choice - neither. I think that's the greater possibility.

At any rate a forum should be a place where all opinions are shared and then that they can be disagreed with. I do think that most significant point of disgreement is the straight shot one - I've always been taught that you should try to curve every shot a bit, for anyone my age that was the prevailing thought because it's what Nicklaus said and he said it because it's what Hogan said. Has that thought process changed?

That to me would be the biggest take away here to discuss. The other things are a personal preference matter and no amount of talk is going to change that - we all have our personal preferences and they should remain just that.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm even in the greater minority - I'm neutral on Bubba

I'm the same. I enjoy watching him play, because of the way he plays, much like I used to watch Corey Pavin play, because of his style. I couldn't say that I like or dislike him though. I do agree that he needs a haircut, but Charlie Hoffman needs one much more.

In another golf forum that I'm on .....

2 timer. We thought you loved only us.:angry:

I'm with the OP on this one in that I don't care for Bubba. First, his name is stupid. Sure it's a childish reason, but he doesn't look like a Bubba to me, he look like a Chris. I don't really have any REAL quantifiable or quality reasons other than I don't like the way he plays golf, his swing (sometimes looks like a dog trying to _uck a football), the way he dresses, his personality, his wife, the way he cries, etc. My opinion will not change until I meet him and get to know him as a person. As those are the only true reasons why you would like someone (like really really like someone) HOWEVER due to his celebrity status I will NEVER know him as a person nor will I ever be able to get to know him that way. So you can guess that I will never be a fan of his. You can't be a fan of everyone. If you are fan of Phil you won't like Tiger. If you like Tiger, you'll hate Phil. It's just the way it is.

Don't tell the OP he isn't allowed to speak his mind. I'm sure Bubba could give a $hit whether or not the OP likes him or not. So, get off your soap box and don't tell him why he's wrong or should/should not like him. I'll get off mine now.

You can't be a fan of everyone. If you are fan of Phil you won't like Tiger. If you like Tiger, you'll hate Phil. It's just the way it is.

I happen to like Phil and Tiger and many others. Why can I not like both? There have always been some guys I like more than others and some I just do not care one way or the other. Sometimes I may not like the way one guy dresses or he wears his hair but these are really stupid reasons to admit admiration or lack there of for a person so I say nothing.

Wow I guess I created a fire storm, ha! Sorry people, didn't realize so many people would attack me for my thoughts. Bubba's a hell of a golfer, I just don't care for him. Glad I could strike up some good conversation though!

MP, whether you agree with GKA or not, I think to say "Thoughts such as these are best kept to yourself" & "there's no need for this" is a tad harsh...As I said, I too dissagree with him(especially on the pink driver, though mine only has pink fill, as do my putters...lol), though he was respectful and by no means slandered Bubba...And let's face it, Bubba marches to his own drummer, which is fine, however that's not everybody's cup of tea...

To each his own, and that's the reason that I like MGS so much, because as long as you maintain some decorum, you can post your opinions, and they are not censored just because they are not politically correct or popular....

Just because someone's thoughts are not the popular, the majority or you & I happen to dissagree, they are best kept to themselves?...I don't think so...If you PM me, I'll give ya a site that you'll love...........

Fairways & Greens 4ever...........

I may have gone too far by saying his post was ridiculous and for that I apologize. I love MGS for the same reasons you do, the ability to speak your mind, which is exactly what I did in response. Had no inclination that my post would get a reaction like this. Again, sorry for upsetting you R.P.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Wow I guess I created a fire storm, ha! ....

Which is what I'm guessing you intended in the first place......but anyway.....what's cool about this forum is that you are allowed to speak your mind

(even if you're wrong ;) )

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Which is what I'm guessing you intended in the first place......but anyway.....what's cool about this forum is that you are allowed to speak your mind

(even if you're wrong ;) )

Thanks BK! haha.

I may have gone too far by saying his post was ridiculous and for that I apologize. I love MGS for the same reasons you do, the ability to speak your mind, which is exactly what I did in response. Had no inclination that my post would get a reaction like this. Again, sorry for upsetting you R.P.

M.P., I agree my post is a bit ridiculous but it got people talking. I'm not a fan of Bubba and I wanted to see what others thought of him, granted my reasons aren't the greatest but those are few things that bug me about him.

2 timer. We thought you loved only us.:angry:

:)

But I wouldn't be here if I weren't there - Rookie and Dogpro brought me over. I've been on that one for about five years and have made lots of friends whom I have played with on a number of occasions. There's just too few of them and some of us have so much history together that once one of us says white, the others say black. Not good for discussion purposes. I told them I was leaving except for the occasional check in to make sure that everyone was okay. I like the poll questions - I do those and the how was your round thread - the other threads are dangerous and usually I'm the trouble maker because as you can tell I think a bit differently than most people.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

While I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning, I'm also not a Bubba fan.

I don't care about the watch (although I'd recommend he stop mentioning how much it costs - even if he didn't pay for it). I actually like the pink driver, and I don't care about his hair.

He probably could change his clothes a bit more.

Here's the thing...he comes off as arrogant, and cocky. While he's not as evasive as Tiger, a couple of tour wins (even if one was a major - I'll save the rant about how major victories is the most overblown stat in all of sports for another day) isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things. If it's possible to earn the right to be arrogant, Tiger has done it. Bubba...um not so much.

When it comes to the numbers well...Bubba is no Zach Johson, and we talk about him like he's almost Tiger Woods. The books are filled with the names of guys who won a single major and not a whole lot more...and right now, those guys are in the same chapter as Bubba.

What irks me most..he plays stupid golf. Seriously. Sure...he's fun to watch, but his course management skills are beneath my own, and really...I can't think of something more insulting to say about a professional golfer. He hit "the shot", but only because he hit an unbelievably bad (and unnecessary) shot one swing prior. NOBODY (not even Tiger in his prime) could have won with regularity playing Bubba golf.

Yeah...pros need to work the ball...hold it against the wind, come into greens at the right angle, play around dog legs. Bubba doesn't work the ball. He curves it to excessive degrees regardless of whether or not he actually needs to (or should). He does it because he can, and to the determent of his own score card.

I'm on record as being anything but a Tiger fan, but given everything Tiger can do with a golf ball, does anyone really believe he can't move a ball like Bubba can? I'm fairly certain he can (and we've all seen him hit those sort of shots). The reason more guys don't move it like Bubba isn't because they can't (as if Bubba possess some insane ability that the best golfers in the world are unable to replicate - though certainly some can't), it's that flighting the ball to that degree serves almost zero practical purpose on a golf course.

4 PGA Tour wins is by no means an astounding number...and if not for that relatively small count, Bubba would basically be the Harlem Globetrotter(s) of the PGA.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Might not be the feeling of many others or any for that matter, but you are exactly right...that is what this forum is for. Don't feel bad for saying how you feel about something. I am in full support of it.

Once you get to the point where you are moderating yourself due to the fact you think other moderators or other members are going to want to delete your opinion you have just become like all the other golf forums out there.

#TruthDigest

The Harlem Globetrotters of the PGA - I like it!!!!!

We do annoint way too quickly in my opinion. Rory's the next Tiger? Really? Is Rory better than Luke Donald because he won a major. Time will tell obviously so let's hold on for a bit. I think majors are huge for sorting out the top of the pack but at 1 or 2 there are lots of pretenders lurking - guys that haven't done much else. Four seems to be the point where you start to seperate the wheat from the chaff - certainly three at least.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

While Bubba isn't my cup of tea, the reasons above just seem judgmental and silly. Applying the same logic, Rory and Fowler should both be ousted for the hair alone. I disagree.

In some ways, Bubba is a real life Billy Madison. Long hitter, bucking the tradition of the game, with his own flair. It has an appeal to some, it will offend others. Personally I respect he dare to be different aspects of what he does. What I don't particularly enjoy is the erratic nature of how he plays. I like watching the deliberate controlled approach to the game by an older generation. Some of the young guys are just out there propagating the longer is better myth, and that takes much of the joy out of the game. Making matters worse is that these guys hitting so long is stretching the legnth of courses making it much more about going long, and not shaping the shots to the course.

So while Bubba's game annoys me a bit, I don't find fault with any of the things the OP does.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I agree that Bubba's style of golf is not my style of golf at all. I do not care for the driver off every tee no mater what, hit is as far as you can, and then wedge it out. I was especially disappointed when he said that Olympic was just too hard for him. He obviously lacks the ablility to alter his game, which was a huge disappointment to me.

It makes me wonder if being is major winner is really that big of a deal. So he got hot that one week and won the tournament. He is a major champion and Luke Donald who has three times the wins he does is considered inferior because he has not gotten lucky during one of the four weeks per year that makes him a major champion.

Yes, the pressure at a major is greater than the Smith County Open but only for the front runners. Having a 54 hole lead and winning a major is impressive, but coming from four or five groups back and having the leader colapse is not the same. Yes, I am saying that Adam Scott winning with a lead is a bigger deal than Ernie Els posting a number and waiting for Scott to come back to him.

Yeah, Bubba won in a playoff, which was great pressure, and he pulled of a great shot, but he did not need to be there in the first place.

I wish I saw this earlier so I could have written a long rant about Bubba, but I will make it quick. I do not like Bubba. I do not like his attitude and I do not like the way he talks to the media. As T said, he comes off as arrogant and cocky and I hate it. Plus I love Louis Oosthuizen, so you can only imagine how I feel :angry: Its a shame because I do not hate many golfers. I, like RR, like many golfers, Tiger and Phil included. If they are playing together, I will root for Phil, but you better believe that when I woke up Sunday morning I was rooting for Tiger. I just wanted to get my two cents in real quick haha

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

hi guys

i am not a bubba fan.

before his masters win, i didn't really know anything about him. being from south africa, i was obviously backing louis in the masters, and was up till 3am in the morning to watch louis get beat, which wasn't fun.

bubba is just one of those guys that rub me the wrong way. how or why, i can't really explain. although i will admit that it started at the masters.

it feels like bubba tries too hard to be different. i have no issue with people who do not conform to 'standards', but it feels like bubba might be trying too hard at times.

another golfer i don't like much, is phil mickelson. at times he have seemed very cocky too me.

i do like louis oosthuizen alot, and most of the south africans on tour (ernie, goose, tim clark, trevor immelman). but i do not care for rory sabbatini one little bit, seems like he has a chip on his shoulder.

i will say though, that bubba is most probably good for the game of golf and that is always great.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• SPY VIP

Never really understood why so many people dislike Phil. A couple tour players mention he's arrogant and the whole FIGJAM thing starts. He's never been anything but gracious with the media and friendly and courteous with fans. Why that comes across as disingenuous, I can't quite figure out. I mean part of the guy's prep work for the US Open at Bethpage was to learn all he could about NY sports teams (Yankees, Giants, etc.), so he'd be able to talk about it with the fans. We're talking about a guy who wore his green jacket through a Krispy Kreme drive-through. How is that not awesome?

If anything, I think Phil's a genuine guy who comes of like a phony trying to be genuine. Here's my wager...and one none of us will likely have the chance to test...

Sit down for a nice long dinner with Phil, Bubba, and Tiger, and I'd venture to say Phil's the one who will show the most interest in you, and would almost certainly be the one you'd walk away from the table thinking you'd enjoy having dinner with again.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived