Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why I can't stand Bubba!

gkatshoots69

-LMAO!!! "Just showing off"?!?!?!? It's called winning and carding top 10's every other week he tees it up. Please.

-Bottom line: Mr. gkatshoots69, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. Gunmetal, seriously? I wasn't trying to score any points so I don't know why you would award me any in the first place.

Top 10's every other week? Must be I'm watching different tournaments.

Lastly, I feel dumber for reading your response and then wasting my time responding. If you have read every single post people have made you would see that there is a lot of good conversation about what I posted, it's not dumb stuff.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wish I recieved the news letter so see what MGS had to say. Thanks again!

That can be fixed, just subscribe B)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thanks R.P. I really appreciate it. I've noticed you've put a lot of time in to your responses to all sorts of comments and it's good to have someone in my corner. I knew when I posted this I would get a couple people who disagree and may say some spiteful things (Gunmetal) but I never expected this kind of action! I'm glad I could contribute to the forum and create some buzz, I just wish I recieved the news letter so see what MGS had to say. Thanks again!

It's all archived:

http://archive.aweber.com/mygolfspyrss/

You should still subscribe though, always fun tidbits of information and it's nice to not have to remember to check the archive site.

edit: I should proofread what I write more. It seems like that particular newsletter is the only one not in the archive...

LOL...+1...Sorry for goin OT, though I gotta ask..Does it bother you when someone uses first name initial & middle name?ex: R. Patrick Jacobs II....That bugs the living sh*t outa me...LOL...Just drop the initial and go by your middle name....BTW, I go by Richard, not R.P...I just use that on the computer, though when I was little, when my dad was pissed at me, he'd call me RP....

Fairways & Greens 4ever..........

Before I go slightly, well, way off target and write what I want, I want to say that when I first read this topic, I was the second viewer, I decided it was not worthy of comment. This is now the third time I have commented, but have not read it since the second day. I spent the last bit reading all the posts and Wow. Who would have thought. I thought GKA s initial reasoning was, well, stupid but he is certainly entitled to his opinion. Obviously it is something that generates interest.

Now, for the off topic. The first initials. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, the H. stood for nothing. His father, Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf, who ran the investigation into the Linberg Kidnapping, and later was a Colonel in WWII startioned in Iran and ran the Lend Lease program to Russia, was a West Point Graduate. He was hated the name Herbert and he scoffed at the Army's in ability to accept that someone could have just initials. Because the upper classmen called him Herbert, and the administration would not let him just go by H. he named his son H. Norman so that when he went to West Point or joined the army it would screw with the administrators. so in Army speak, he became, H (FIO) Norman. FIO means first initial only. The military can also not deal with no middle name. So if you name is Joe Smith, than the army would officially list you as Joe (NMI) Smith.

This of course has nothing to do with Gerry Lester (Bubba) Watson, but one of the many useless facts that cloud my mind.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Let's not forget J. Fred Muggs and FAO Schwartz...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

350? You have to enjoy that regardless - 350 avg. That's incredible - chicks dig the long ball you know.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

350? You have to enjoy that regardless - 350 avg. That's incredible - chicks dig the long ball you know.

Even if it is downhill on a baked fairway....350 is unreal.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I have a former member who's the assistant soccer coach at St. John's, where Keegan went to college - he's played with Keegan a number of times including at Bethpage Black - he said it's unreal - big shocker there.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Daley and then the first time I saw Tiger and then the first time I saw Robert Garrigus - each reprresented a huge uptick in distance from anything I had ever seen before. With the presimmon clubs the thing about the pros wasnt' their length - they were long for sure but not outrageously so - it was their consistency and ability to work the ball - Daley was really the start of the bomb and gauge style of play - I saw him at Bayhill and they had to send security to move some kids who were playing in their back yard just in case - they were well over 300 yards away. I saw Tiger as an amateur at Oakland Hills hit one on 18 on a line that had to be in the trees on the right only it was in the middle of the fairway on the other side of the trees 120 from the green on a 450 yard hole (doesn't sound like much but it was then) The first time I saw Garrigus he was on a 225 yard par 3 - everyone was hitting 5 - after a lengthy discussion he hit 7 - to the back. On the next hole he blew his hybrid past where Billy Andrea had just hit his driver - I thought, "That's the difference between the players of today and yesterday - right there."

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Up close and personal is always so much more impressive than intellectual appreciation, for me in any case. Every time I see a pro play my home course and see where his ball ends up off the tips and on the green, I'm disgusted by how far behind I truly am. It's so much more emotionally comfortable to settle for a TV announcement and a screen that poorly represents the actual fairways.

Shambles

ok, it might be a mistake posting this here. but i'm going to do it anyway.

earlier on this post, i admitted that i do not care much for bubba. i can't really pinpoint why, but he just rubs me the wrong way. when i say i am not a fan of him, i am certainly not commenting on his integrity, or anything like that. i simply don't like him much. it sounds like he is a pretty decent guy, and he does some great work for charities, which i really respect.

i came across the below tidbit on geoffshackleford.com, and while i am open minded enough not to take it as gospel, i feel that IF, and only IF, bubba did in fact respond in this way, he won't be making too many friends.

=============================================================

Grace, who opened with a 2-over-par 72, was just the 11th longest driver in Thursday's field, averaging 334 yards per drive. Bubba Watson led the way, averaging 351.5 yards per drive.

Watson hit his driver 11 times in the first round.

How many fairways did he hit?

“I don't know,” Watson said. “I shot 4 under. That's all I know.”

=============================================================

i just want to stress that i am not sure how these events played out, and if the above is taken out of context, don't crucify me for posting. it is also hard to guess the tone it was said in.

make up your own minds...

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

thanks, RP.

like i said, my dislike of bubba has got nothing to do with his integrity and values. he just irks me. but as i said before, he must be good for the game of golf, and that is good for all of us!

i actually saw an interview with tiger over the weekend, and i thought he was pretty amicable(for tiger, that is). maybe he is getting better?

i also read that when he played with branden grace (from south africa), that he picked up grace's divots and carried it back to him on one or two occassions. although again, i can't confirm whether this really happened. i think i also saw this on geoffshackleford.com. it does sound improbable...

anyway, don't want to go OT.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I have seen him on Faherty and he was on some other show tonight that I caught part of. Bubba appears to be odd about some things. He also appears to be a great guy who likes to have a fun time in a goofy way. He is very religious and abhors alcohol. These last two facts may rub people the wrong way.

As far as using his driver, hitting fairways, and his course management he says that the driver and the wedge are the two clubs he is most comfortable with. That this is how he chooses to make his living and as long as he can do it this way that is the way he will do it. He feels the stats are useless and pays no attention to them. So when asked about them he honestly does not know or care. He wants to hit it as far as he can, find his ball, hit it as close as he can to hole and make a putt.

While I am not a fan of this mentality, as I have stated in many posts, that is because I do not have his driver and wedge skills.

I watched a Ping commercial today where he stood in front of the mirror and gave himself a peptalk and he came across as an arrogant ahole. He does not come across that way in these two shows I have seen.

I think everyone's bad opinion of him is wrong because it is reported wrong. I do not think he likes reporters much because they question his golfing philosophy. I think he gets very tired of them questioning how he plays golf. Because the only time they question it is when he is really good oro really bad. When he plays well, they are stupid questions because it is working. When he play poorly, well, how would you like to defend what is obviously a stupid decision because the ball is at the bottom of the lake. I think that pisses him off and therefore he comes across wrong in interviews.

The funny thing is we do not hear bad things about Fowler, Mahan, and Crane and they are all supposed to be buddies. Seems like if he were really such a p rick they would not hang out with him.

RR, i don't know bubba. i don't even know all that much about him. i've only really gotten to know bits of him since his masters win.

and while i will agree that it sounds like he could be a nice guy in real life, he still just rubs me the wrong way.

as for his religion, i very much respect him for that, being a christian myself.

i hope that you do not feel that i am indirectly calling bubba a pr*ck through my postings. that is certainly not what i am trying to bring across.

maybe bubba needs a good PR guy, to help him with the way he comes across. he sounds like the type of guy that might think of something like PR as a bit of nonsense. but he is in the public eye, and if he can improve in some ways, he might be less polarising.

but again, as i have said a few times on this post, he is good for the game. and even though i might not root for him during tournaments, its not like i want him off of the tour, or wish anything bad on him.

there is just other golfers i would rather prefer to do well.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I watched a Ping commercial today where he stood in front of the mirror and gave himself a peptalk and he came across as an arrogant ahole. He does not come across that way in these two shows I have seen.

I'm not sure how anyone can take those commercials as anything but a joke. I laugh when I hear that one or the one where he has to caddy for Hunter. Along with Wilson they have the best commercials imo.

FWIW, l tell ya someone who annoys the hell outa me, and that's Brandt Snedeker....And ya know he's a good guy...Probably even a great guy if you were ranking guys...

However, it REALLY annoys me when someone gives their performance, life and first frickin born over to God after a victory, regardless of sport, as though God were just smiling down on them that day.......

Well, now that I got that out, I feel better!.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.......

Zack Johnson does the same thing.

Yea, you're right, though I've never seen Johnson point to the sky and nod, as though he's literally lookin the Big Guy in the eyes.....

The other thing, and to be fair, I've gotta put this on the table and that is my girl has a major crush in Snedeker...Thinks he's the cutest guy and sooooo sweet...

It sickens me..lol...So in all fairness, ego and insecurity are a factor in my rant however I still didn't like his antics even before I "lost" her to him.....lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Let your hair grow, dye it blonde and get yourself a goofy Bridgestone visor. I wear a visor rather than a hat most of the time, to show off that I still have hair,:D actually because I find full caps hotter, but the ones with a proper cap type bill not those actually feminine type visors like he and some others wear.

LOL....OT, but what the hell, I've driven us through the ditch & into the trees...LOL...I too wear a visor(mostly Mizzys & Titleist) and I'm bald on top...Thank goodness I'm 6'2" tall so most people are not looking down on my dome...lol.....

DItto on the Titleist & Mizzy visors but I also wear an old Ben Hogan and of course I have a Range Rover visor.

Bubba was featured on Inside the PGA this week, and while I have issues with his style of golf I still like him. He does not appear to care if he wins or not. I mean he wants to win but he would rather come in second than change the way he plays the game. Hit driver every hole and fire at every flag. If he loses because of it so be it. He is still going to get a check.

Buuba Golf is sort of a one man-one ball scramble. I may try that this week when I get my new driver shaft, since I will want to hit it a lot to get used to it, and report back how my round went.

It's funny, and RR, I don't know if you fall into this category, because I did prior to looking at Bubba's stats which is why I posted them on page 5 of this thread, however I thought that since all I see on TV are shots of Bubba going over, around and occasionally attempting to go through trees, that "Bubba Golf" was costing him strokes and tournaments, however the tour stats say different....

Before the week of the Master's I did not think much of Bubba, and I did not think often of Bubba. I thought that he was one of the four guys that made the music video and he could hit the ball a long way but was never going to amount to a great golfer because he had no course management. He went to play some Euro event and caused all kinds of problems.

Then the Monday of the Master's he was on Feherty. I got to see him in a different light and found out that he almost won a major last year, and ended up winning a tournament. I also looked up his stats and well he was not as bad as I thought. I was not as shocked that he won as I would have been had I not watched the show and looked him up.

I found out during Feherty that he was not a trouble maker, and in high school, he was not out late on Friday and Saturday nights because he was up early on Saturday and Sunday mornings playing golf. He said while all his peers were asking daddy for money, he was taking their daddy's money on the course every week. I thought that was pretty cool. We have a three of kids like that at my club and it has been fun to watch them develop over the years. Two of them are actually Orville Moody's grandsons. They have a lot of game.

Also, the incidents that were reported in France were totally blown out of proportion. His biggest sin was to call the Palace of Versailles and the Louve, a castle and a museum. How much culture do you expect from someone named Bubba who can afford any car in the world and he buys the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard show. I love the fact that he drives it to tournaments and around town. Cool yes, culture no.

As I said I am not a fan of Bubba golf, but I was wrong about his game. I would not be shocked if he won this week, but I would not put the house payment on it.

One other Bubba moment that I believe bares mentioning...If you want to diss him or not like him, that's cool...Seriously, no problem, just try to look at the whole picture and not just those snapshots that reinforce your opinion & belief...If for no other reason than to do so will sift into other areas of your life and you'll be a better, more successful person....So here's the deal.....

A lot of you probably saw or heard about this yet it hasn't been mentioned and along with his buddies coming out onto the green following his Masters win I believe it says a lot about Bubba Watson....Tuesday mornings on the Golf Channel are called "Champions' Tuesday" and they usually get at least one or more of the previous week-end's tournament winners from the the various pro tour(s) on the phone for a brief interview...

Well, after a break they were expecting to get Bubba on the phone, he, decked in his green jacket, walked around the production people, past the cameras & onto the set, much to the surprise & shock of the hosts.

You could see the shock, surprise & happiness on their faces as they all hugged and he sat down with them..He has been a frequent telephone guest over past couple of years and he told them that he felt that he owed them since they had always been "in his corner" and treated him fairly...

It was great TV and you could plainly see how much that it meant to the Golf channel guys...Think of the previous 48 hours..Even though Bubba doesn't drink and carrouse, I'll bet he hadn't gotten a lot of sleep...

And he did something totally unasked, unexpected and on his dime....What he did was big...Real big...And think about it...How many other guys would have done that?...Well, based on the 2+ years the show''s been on the air, no others have done it....

No, I started out on this thread thinking that he was an arrogant, self-centered, elitist pr*ck....I was wrong....

If my son turned out like Bubba, I'd be damn proud...He is a gentleman and a loving husband, father & friend...Like him or not, ya gotta give it to him...He's got his sh*t together, when so many around him are clueless....You know that his father is looking down and smiling...His legacy's in good hands...

And to top it all off, he hits the piss outa the ball...

He is who he is - unapologetically. KInd of surprised he's considered a polarizing figure - he always seemed like a pretty good guy when he wasn't winning anything, and it doesn't appear as though winning a major has changed that very much.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If my son turned out like Bubba, I'd be damn proud...He is a gentleman and a loving husband, father & friend...Like him or not, ya gotta give it to him...He's got his sh*t together, when so many around him are clueless....You know that his father is looking down and smiling...His legacy's in good hands...

And to top it all off, he hits the piss outta the ball...

VERY well said. Good post.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

What the hell???........

Fairways & Greens 4ever........

I thought the same... And he didn't come up with that himself. I love when people take someone else's quote and use it.

I dislike Bubba. A lot. I'm not gonna ramble on about his clothes or his driver tendencies though. I just think he's a d-bag.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• 6 months later...

What the hell???........

Fairways & Greens 4ever........

Funny RP I was thinking the same thing myself when I read that!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well, according to Team Stream(a great, great app BTA), the top five most popular guys on Tour are:

1) Bubba

2) Rickie

3) Rory

4) David Duval(I love the guy, though can you believe that he made it, much less at #4)

5) Ernie Els

WHAT???? That's crazy! :D

I guess if the formula is "like - dislike = popularity" I could see it. Otherwise wouldn't Tiger be the runaway winner?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

That list is hard to believe. All likable guys, but top 5? Phil is hugely popular. Seems like he would end up higher than a couple of those at least. Tiger? Hard to say what most people think of him anymore. But he still has got to be near the top. Nobody draws crowds like he still does. I wonder how they came up with that list. Is it the most popular among the tour players themselves, or who the public likes the most? I could see that making sense if the players were asked since they know each others personalities compared to what the public sees on TV.

Archived