GolfSpy WD

Anchored Putters

Our Sponsors

The thing that has always bugged me about this discussion is the statement that the anchored putter gives someone an "advantage". This is inaccurate. An anchored putter is available to everyone, therefore, there is no advantage. If someone thinks it is superior, why on earth would they choose not to use it.

The other thing is that the broomsticks are not "anchored" in the sense that belly putters are anchored. The broomstick rests in the hands only. The arms might be pressed to the chest, but the putter itself is not anchored in any way to the body.

Exactly, when I use a broomstick, my arms are no more supported than when I use the short putter and press my arms to my sides.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I think that ultimately this is much ado about nothing. The reason that more players are winning with long putters is because more people are playing with long putters. I believe that there is no statistical advantage for long putters over short putters. However, some people simply prefer them for whatever reason.

Exactly. I'd be interested in the percent of pros using belly/long putters to the percent of pro's winning with them.

I don't have a problem with belly putters, it's the long putters (like Adam Scott's) that I think are an aberration and should be banned.

In my bag, August 2019
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Driver Kuro Kage Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Fairway  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS Tour (Stiff Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:nike-small: Method Core

:titelist-small:  ProV1X Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 8.9

Does Adam Scott "anchor" the top of his grip in his chest, or is there a slight(1-3") gap between his grip/hands and his chest?.....

I've never really paid that close attention...I ask because there are two "long" putters in my swat who have a slight gap(2-3"), so technically they are not "anchoring" the putter...

Fairways & Greens 4ever...…

Adam Scott does not anchor his putter.And for the most part broomstick putter are not anchored. At least when I used one it was not anchored.

Adam Scott does not anchor his putter.And for the most part broomstick putter are not anchored. At least when I used one it was not anchored.

I'd love to see it remain legal as a loophole and hear the traditionalists cry :)

What's frightening is you read articles and it almost sounds like a done deal that the anchored putters will be banned.

Yes, and at one tiime Tiger was portrayed in articles by the same "people in the know" as a loving caring husband and father who took his darling wife to basketball games and she waited for him to win the tournament with the young ones by her side.

I'd love to see it remain legal as a loophole and hear the traditionalists cry :)

Easy to close the loophole though: "putter must be the shortest club in the bag"

In my bag, August 2019
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Driver Kuro Kage Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Fairway  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS Tour (Stiff Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:nike-small: Method Core

:titelist-small:  ProV1X Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 8.9

Wait a minute, you should not be allowed to putt one handed, according to the logic put forth by the "purist". Just as no other club is anchored to your body, no other clubs are swung one handed. If you eliminate the anchored putter on the basis that the golf swing is intended to be swung with both hands only, than you must also make putting one handed illegal. That means if you have a two inch tap in and would walk up and tap it in while holding the putter in just one hand, since that is not the way golf was "intended" it should be illegal.

Lets get something clear, I am far from a "true purest"... If I were that kind of a person then you are dang right everthing should be illegal besides blades and a blade putter and you most grip othe putter only one way... I am not like that at all, I helped a guy out in getting used to his belly putter before on how to use it. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I am all the way a purest, I will use the quote from the R&A. "The rules are the rules at the moment".

I personally have putted left hand low, tried belly and broom sticks for the heck of it, tried side saddle one time, Tried a number of different super stroke putter grips in various sizes on short putters. I have just come to the conclusion that I can practice and work out what ever issues any of those things try to help fix.

The only reason I brought up Unless you are putting one handed is to get a number count of joints that influence the stroke nothing more. I support golf of Amputees, obviously if the players i missing an arm and swinging or putting one handed then it cuts the number of break down points in half. Heck I find it harder to control the face of even a putt one handed consistently in my practice if you want to putt that way go for it.

Here is a list of things that I am perfectly okay with staying

--> Any kind of grip that you want to place on the shaft

--> Any position in which you want to place your hands on such grip

--> I Think one company came out with a putter named "almost belly" putter, it is long but doesn't anchor to your body, I think that is a neat idea and a good one.

The minute you build a stance and anchor the butt end of a shaft to your body for leverage it is pretty obvious that it becomes and advantage to stabilize or smooth out the stroke and eliminate possible points that would break down causing missed putts. I think it is pretty clear that with the popularity growing on the long putter it is really now or never if they are going to grandfather it out like the grooves.

What the hell does King James have to do with what I wrote in my post man? I most of hit a nerve or something, I sort of started laughing about that when I read it. Maybe I didn't make my points and post clear to my intentions, seems to be a common theme when it comes to putting topics around here.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Does Adam Scott "anchor" the top of his grip in his chest, or is there a slight(1-3") gap between his grip/hands and his chest?.....

I've never really paid that close attention...I ask because there are two "long" putters in my swat who have a slight gap(2-3"), so technically they are not "anchoring" the putter...

Fairways & Greens 4ever...…

It is anchored to his chest, I wouldn't use him as an example if it were not, the 1 to 3" gap I am completely okay with if that' how someone want to putt, it brings back into play the need to stabilizing more joints / muscles to work together to consistently make a stroke.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Adam Scott is anchoring the club to his chest, in a way that looks downright uncomfortable! None of the guys I play with that use the broomstick do this, they all brace their arm across their chest but the putter end does not touch their body in any way.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

The long putter issue is a challenge thats for sure; the UK media talked about pretty much nothing else (well apart from the weather - but thats what we do in the UK) throughout the Open and it took away from an enthralling event.

However is it as big an issue as is being suggested? Not sure. But whatever, USGA and R&A need to agree a position and quick because frankly equipment discussions shouldn't be how we remember major tournaments.

Myself, I've putted with a belly putter for some time, but if the powers that be decide to ban them I'll buy into it. Frankly my putting is a bit dodgy fullstop; short or long putter - I hole more short putts with the belly but distance putting is better with the short stick. I wonder what looks I'd get if I carried two putters?

By the way, anyone seen some players 'belly' chipping? Do you ban anchoring any club, or just putters over certain lengths....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I have been looking for statistics on those players using longer putter and honestly they are not availible. You have to look up each individual player and see who is using what. But there are some big names I know are using long putters. Now for the first time that I know of 5 of the top 20 in the WGR are using long putters.

This would include Matt Kuchar who, does not use an anchored putter but uses a putter that is longer than the shortest other club in his bag. Since many PGA Players carry a 64* wedge and they are typically 35.5 inches, the shortest club rule would render all of them outside the rules. Wouldn't that be funny?

Of course statistics are for the most part useless. Web Simpson leads the tour in birdies and second in breaking par, but he does not break the top 40 any other category. He is a mediocre player except for the fact that he scores well. Which is why he is 5th in the WGR. He has used a belly putter since college. And is 44th in over all putting.

We can not use Kuchar as an example because while he may using a putter that may someday be dubbed as illegal, he does not anchor it. He simply had a 36" putter that he added 3 inches to and then like it so added 2 more inches. A 41" putter. He is 9th in WGR and 29th in putting. He and Ernie are the only users of long putter to break the top 40 in total putting stats. Els is 15th WGR and 39th in putting.

Adam Scott is 6th in WGR and 148th in putting.

Dustin Johnson is 16th WGR and 81st in putting.

Top 4 WGR and putting totals are:(short putter)

Luke Donald 1st

Tiger Woods 12th

Rory Mclroy 66th

Lee Westwood 122th

So the fascinating thing is not only can good putting not be linked to a long putter, good putting can not even be linked to being in the top 20 in the world. Tiger and Luke are the only ones who even break the top 20 stats in putting. And if it is putt for dough Westwood and Scott must be taking in other players laundry to pay the bills because they are at the bottom of the putting stats.

Welcome Westy....Believe me, the weather's not much better here, rainy, humid and probably hotter.....Nothin like sweatin in the rain!....

Pelz actually suggested this in one of his Golf Magazine articles...He said that instead of carrying 4 wedges, cut one out and insert a long putter and traditional length putter...

I tried this once and it was like going out with your wife and your mistress. You never know which one to pay the most attentions too.:P

That was actually someone else's line I have never been stupid enough to have a wife and a girlfriend at the same time. As an aside, I do not know if being married satisfies my needs or just proves two of them are too much hassel.:rolleyes: Back to putters.

To me I do not think it is a question of distance as much as a question of break. Putts requiring more speed control are easier with a short putter and straighter are easier with a long putter, but if you are switching back and forth then you may lose some of the feel with the short putter thus giving up any value you may have with it. Not only that it adds an additional question to how hard to hit it and how much it breaks, you now have which club do you use.

I haven't gotten involved in this topic but it's time I think. I'm really wondering why now? The anchored long putter has been around for nearly 30 years so why now? I could understand then but why now? Why not when Orville Moody was using it on the Champions (then Senior) tour or when VJ and Bernard Langer were using it on the regular tour? Why now? All of the sudden?

I get the concern but it seems to me the horse is way out of the barn. You have a generation of younger players that have grown up using some sort of anchored putter and style. They did it because it was legal.

So why now?

I have no real horse in this race, dont' use one, never have and really thought it should have been illegalized a long time ago - but now? It's too late and it's unfair to make it illegal.

That's my take

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I haven't gotten involved in this topic but it's time I think. I'm really wondering why now? The anchored long putter has been around for nearly 30 years so why now? I could understand then but why now? Why not when Orville Moody was using it on the Champions (then Senior) tour or when VJ and Bernard Langer were using it on the regular tour? Why now? All of the sudden?

I get the concern but it seems to me the horse is way out of the barn. You have a generation of younger players that have grown up using some sort of anchored putter and style. They did it because it was legal.

So why now?

I have no real horse in this race, dont' use one, never have and really thought it should have been illegalized a long time ago - but now? It's too late and it's unfair to make it illegal.

That's my take

I agree that they have waited 30 years too late to rule against this. I can understand them ruling in favor of them, saying that there is no statistical evidence that the long putters offer any advantage over the short putter, and thus putting the issue to rest. Any other decision is too late.

I read that Jim Furyk said the other day that if the USGA came out against the long putter, the PGA Tour Rules committee of which he is a member could rule to allow long putters if the USGA ruled against them. I thought that was a shot fired across the bow of the USGA and R&A that said do not mess with this rule. Furyk went on to say that he does not use one but a lot of guys do and they have a say in the rules and he is their representative.

I read that 20 to 30 percent of pros are using the long putter. A lot of anal-ists (intentional misspelling) say that the pros will just pick up short putters and go about their business, and some like Ernie Els might, but I do not see them just rolling over and giving them up without a fight.

If you feel that you putt the best with this type of putter, and have been doing this for many years in some cases, changing it now would be huge.

I agree that they have waited 30 years too late to rule against this. I can understand them ruling in favor of them, saying that there is no statistical evidence that the long putters offer any advantage over the short putter, and thus putting the issue to rest. Any other decision is too late.

I read that Jim Furyk said the other day that if the USGA came out against the long putter, the PGA Tour Rules committee of which he is a member could rule to allow long putters if the USGA ruled against them. I thought that was a shot fired across the bow of the USGA and R&A that said do not mess with this rule. Furyk went on to say that he does not use one but a lot of guys do and they have a say in the rules and he is their representative.

I read that 20 to 30 percent of pros are using the long putter. A lot of anal-ists (intentional misspelling) say that the pros will just pick up short putters and go about their business, and some like Ernie Els might, but I do not see them just rolling over and giving them up without a fight.

If you feel that you putt the best with this type of putter, and have been doing this for many years in some cases, changing it now would be huge.

I've always liked Furyk, but if he stands up for the players and makes sure they get a say in all of this, then he's moved up a huge notch in my book.

To me it's simply a matter of fairness - you've allowed it for 30 years - no surprise that Jim Furyk would want to protect his piers and better that he doesn't use one of those putters.

Typically there is no real evidence of an issue here beyond anyway as RR points out.

You can't roll back the ball either by the way - you've allowed the modern ball for 12 years - kids are taught to launch it assuming they will be allowed to play with modern equipment - that horse is out of the barn, too.

The USGA has to learn that this is the real world - people learn the game based upon being able to play a certain way - If you don't want a style of play you best legislate for it before it happens rather than allowing it to go on for long enough that you have an entire generation of players doing it.

Anyway the game isn't quite so easy as they make it sound and there's a simple solution to the matter of distance - just narrow the fairways and let the rough grow to the point that it's unplayable at a certain distance off the tee -

That takes care of that one.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the indirect snow ball that would happen from banning anchored putters only from the professional levels. If we ban JUST for "professionals" in the sport then you have a lot of things that would change.

Golf Professionals (Club Pros) all would have to play non-anchored putter as they are technically a classification of a "professional" and have tournaments to qualify for the PGA Championship every year.

Don't think most of you really care about that point, some might. However, I have thought of some interesting things that COULD snow ball from "professionals" having anchored putters banned from their tools. I think it effects AMs indirectly, mostly top amateurs and in the future 10 years from now.

UP Open / Open qualification tournaments would be non-anchored. The US AM, Us Mid-AM or other am tournaments that qualify for places to play in professional tournaments as an amateur would probably need to change their rules as well.

When you have all the very top level tournament for AMs as non-anchored putters I would be willing to bet college might even adapt the rule, or at least the top players in college will use non-anchored, sort of like some college players use wood bats in baseball when they can still play metal.

Now, if a young person wants to have a dream of making the tour or playing college golf and in big AM tournaments they are going to want to use the non-anchored putter because it would be silly to spend 10,000 hours using something a professional can not. They might fall on their face when deciding to turn pro if they are using anchored growing up then can't use it at the professional level.

Some people playing for money might feel that they will not play anyone that is using a anchored putter against their short putter, pretty obvious that the professionals find it as an advantage, people might not want to piss away money on that slight edge. I know I sort of feel that way already but deal with it more then I would if it gets banned for professionals.

WEll, one last thing. We have seen a change already put into the rules to grandfather equipment out directly, the groove rule. Professionals = 2010, Top Amateur Tournaments = 2014, Everyone else 2024 by time 2024 rolls around everything that is not confirming will have no grooves in the first place and have lass spin then conforming do.

Shall we see something like that with the anchored putter. Maybe because I feel it happens indirectly anyways assuming it does ever get banned in the first place for professionals.

Srixon Z-Star

I ran across an article by Bob Verdi about the WGC-Bridgestone and Furyk leading and how great he was putting which of course lead the article into the putter issue. I decided I would save some of the quotes if this subject raised its ugly head again. So here is what some of the people said about this issue.

Jim Furyk says in response to a message to him as player rep. from Mike Davis, the executive director of the United States Golf Association.

"He wants to talk, which is great. I have a lot of respect for Mike. I suspect it's about my feelings on the long and belly putters. There are all sorts of rumors about them being banned. I'm against that. They've been around for 30 years. It's a knee-jerk reaction to guys winning majors with them lately. Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, Ernie Els. I also have no problem with bifurcation of rules. If pros play different golf than amateurs, I have no issue with that. I might be wrong, but those are my opinions."

Steve Williams says:

"I can understand the argument against anchoring. But the two most important aspects of putting are reading the green and hitting the ball on line with the proper speed. The long putter helps you at neither."

Carl Pettersson says:

"I started with the long putter in 1997, right after my sophomore year at North Carolina State," he said. "Tim Clark, same school, maybe a few months apart from me. Now I hear chatter, a lot of chatter, about it being outlawed and it's a big concern for me. Even if there's a four-year window before a ban goes into effect, I'm still 15 years behind. If you're going to ban things, what about hybrids? They're easier to hit than a 2- or 3-iron. What about these drivers with giant heads?

"Besides, if the long putter is so easy to use, why isn't everybody doing it? Believe me, it's not like you can't still twitch with the long putter. Or pull it or push it. You still have to make a proper stroke. And I believe, whereas with the belly putter your grip is in touch with the body, with the long putter it's your hand. The case against that is that the hand is an extension of the grip. I don't agree. And I don't think a ban would be fair. There are other issues for golf, I would think. Pace of play, the fact that growth is flat. This is still a rich man's game. Make it more affordable. Get more juniors involved. If they ban the long putter, does that really help grow the sport?"

Butch Harmon says:

"I agree on that one point," he said. "If it's so easy to use the long putters, why isn't everybody using them? I'm not a big fan on them because it requires anchoring them. But there are a lot of strange parts to golf. We are the only professional sport governed by an amateur body. We bring our own ball to the arena. I think we could have two sets of rules, like every other sport, for the pros and the amateurs. If you are a recreational golfer who's got the yips and wants to use the long putter, so what? I don't know what's going to happen. It will be interesting. I like what Jose Maria Olazabal said. Instead of banning this and banning that, limit the number of clubs in the bag to 10 and we'll see who can really hit shots and who can really play."

Good quotes RR.

I just kind of wanted to think and talk about what MIGHT happen if there were a split in the rules between Amateurs and Professionals. I was just using the anchored putter debate as a platform to spring board it.

I feel that if the long putter were to get banned in the Professional ranks it indirectly snow balls down to the highest level of AM play at the very least. Take college baseball, professional have to use wood bats, some college players elect to use the wood bat even though they are entitled to use the metal bat at that level as a preparation to possibly turn professional after college.

Jim Furyk says in response to a message to him as player rep. from Mike Davis, the executive director of the United States Golf Association.

"He wants to talk, which is great. I have a lot of respect for Mike. I suspect it's about my feelings on the long and belly putters. There are all sorts of rumors about them being banned. I'm against that. They've been around for 30 years. It's a knee-jerk reaction to guys winning majors with them lately. Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, Ernie Els. I also have no problem with bifurcation of rules. If pros play different golf than amateurs, I have no issue with that. I might be wrong, but those are my opinions."

I think that Jim needs to figure out how to close again, 2 times this year he has thrown up on himself in the last 1 to 2 holes of a tournament he was leading going into. Funny that no one talks about Furyk melt downs this year but wants to give Adam Scott a hard time about his. Maybe a long putter would help Jim close a tournament and he is thinking that he should switch.

Steve Williams says:

"I can understand the argument against anchoring. But the two most important aspects of putting are reading the green and hitting the ball on line with the proper speed. The long putter helps you at neither."

Probably not a good person to give an opinion on anything in golf currently. Not a lot of people respect this guy plus he is just a caddie. He let Adam Scott hit a 3wood or even gave him that club to hit on the 18th tee, stupid club selection either way, I have to question his logic on this matter along with other things.

Carl Pettersson says:

"I started with the long putter in 1997, right after my sophomore year at North Carolina State," he said. "Tim Clark, same school, maybe a few months apart from me. Now I hear chatter, a lot of chatter, about it being outlawed and it's a big concern for me. Even if there's a four-year window before a ban goes into effect, I'm still 15 years behind. If you're going to ban things, what about hybrids? They're easier to hit than a 2- or 3-iron. What about these drivers with giant heads?

"Besides, if the long putter is so easy to use, why isn't everybody doing it? Believe me, it's not like you can't still twitch with the long putter. Or pull it or push it. You still have to make a proper stroke. And I believe, whereas with the belly putter your grip is in touch with the body, with the long putter it's your hand. The case against that is that the hand is an extension of the grip. I don't agree. And I don't think a ban would be fair. There are other issues for golf, I would think. Pace of play, the fact that growth is flat. This is still a rich man's game. Make it more affordable. Get more juniors involved. If they ban the long putter, does that really help grow the sport?"

A professional can hit a hybrid on the sweet spot just like they can a long iron. The hybrid offers a higher trajectory, more moi, and more give on slight miss hits. Professionals still turn to the 2irons a lot of times in very windy conditions to keep the ball lower. The Hybrid is designed to help AM golfers more so then a professional.

The big headed drivers don't help you hit the ball straighter. The golf ball design is to blame for longer and straighter shots not a driver, maybe Carol needs to watch a bunch on 30 handicaps hit 30 to 50 yard slices off the tee before making a comment about big drivers. Yes they have increased MOI, more give on off center hits, most professionals don't even play the 460cc max I would have to guess that the average is somewhere between 420cc and 450cc on tour, good players tend to like the look of a smaller head. Again a professional finds the true sweet spot of the driver and the size won't really matter for them, the bigger head gives AMs more confidence to make contact with the ball.

Sure you can steer a putter with your hands regardless of the style of putter you are using and how huge the grip on the putter happens to be. Wrist rotation effects all golf shots, it is sort of how you tend to hit a draw or hook by letting the wrists turn the head over into impact.

The reason that everyone doesn't use them is that the persons perspective of the the line at address is going to be different, everyone technically could be fitted to a belly putter or long putter by just extending the short putter shaft until it gets anchored to a part of the body. But that also brings in the point that everyone can be fitted to a non-anchored putter as well by just cutting off the shaft at a given point to match their natural posture to see the line of the putt at address the best.

I don't really see Carl's argument in using hybrids and drivers as a point for anchoring a putter. Plus like I just said I can't see his point for the use of them the fact that not everyone uses them.

I think the Equipment needs to get cheaper to help the growth of the game but, golf course green fee prices you have a ton of options from $20 public course to most exclusive and expensive private country clubs to pick from regardless of the sport someone has to fund the "arena" that the sport is played on so that it stays in playable conditions. In most professional sports that gets founded by ticket holders, and sponsors.

I do agree with Carol on one thing that the growth of the game is important, where the growth in the US might be "flat" I would have to say it is huge in again countries and getting a really big boom over their and other over seas markets. Golf has become more global then it was, which is a good thing.

Butch Harmon says:

"I agree on that one point," he said. "If it's so easy to use the long putters, why isn't everybody using them? I'm not a big fan on them because it requires anchoring them. But there are a lot of strange parts to golf. We are the only professional sport governed by an amateur body. We bring our own ball to the arena. I think we could have two sets of rules, like every other sport, for the pros and the amateurs. If you are a recreational golfer who's got the yips and wants to use the long putter, so what? I don't know what's going to happen. It will be interesting. I like what Jose Maria Olazabal said. Instead of banning this and banning that, limit the number of clubs in the bag to 10 and we'll see who can really hit shots and who can really play."

Again, you can properly fit anyone for a anchored putter but then again you can fit anyone for a non-anchored putter as well. Most of the time people that use the long putter do so because it helps them with posture, a reference, stop yips, something that provides them an advantage over the non-anchored putter. If you split the rules between professionals and AMs I am all for it, but it will probably snow ball into the top AM events eventually.

In my opinion there is a big difference between a "long putter" and a "anchored putter". A long putter just describes the total length of it being longer then say 35", doesn't mean directly it is attached to the body, you can putt with a 50" putter that doesn't get anchored if you really wanted to.

I guess not a lot of people think about this but wouldn't anchoring a putter be pretty close and not that far from the imagination of Rule 13-2 & 13-3 in building a stance? I mean heck just taking a shot from your knees with a towel under your knees so they won't get wet is considered building a stance and it provides no advantage at all to the swing.

Srixon Z-Star