GolfSpy WD

Anchored Putters

Our Sponsors

I guess not a lot of people think about this but wouldn't anchoring a putter be pretty close and not that far from the imagination of Rule 13-2 & 13-3 in building a stance? I mean heck just taking a shot from your knees with a towel under your knees so they won't get wet is considered building a stance and it provides no advantage at all to the swing.

This arguement is as stupid as the R&A saying the long putter is an advantage in the wind because you can use it to steady yourself. Please explain to me which end of the club you are swinging if one end is anchored to your belly and the other end is used to build a stance or to steady yourself in the wnd. Does that mean you are swinging the third end to hit the ball?:)

I am sort of running out of ends on my putter when I do that.

By the way, I just saw all those quotes about the long putter in the article and saved them if for when the topic came up again.

While I agree that Furyk did sort of melt down in the US Open. I do not necessarily agree on the WGC. He did not blow a huge lead, yes he made a double bogey and missed a seemingly easy putt, but Keegan had just poured in a 15 footer to make an outstanding par, and Furyk had just had two bad lies from the deep grass. Faldo had a segment that aired earlier in the week about the grain of the grass and how it affected the chips, and how difficult it could be. Then Furyk does the same thing that Faldo demonstrated could happen, and Faldo says it was inexcusable. Furyk missed the putt but when I watched it back on Monday replay, it was not that bad a putt. Oosthuzen (spelling?) had just missed a putt that did not break until after the hole, not on Furyks line but you could still tell Furyks was going to break. Furyk took three good looks at it and then hit the putt and it went straight until past the hole. Maybe he hit it too hard, he certainly had the adrenaline pumping but I would not call that a meltdown. BUt it was certainly disappointing.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I am not a fan of them, at all. Looking at the legends of golf putting with blades, is pure. The equipment has come so far to make it a different game. These putters need to go on the professional level.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

This is as good a place as any to tell this story. Monday they airated the greens at my club so the putts were bouncing pretty badly. I ended up playing 15 holes with two guys that are usually pretty good. Anyway, I was using my belly putter. And they were giving me a hard time about using an "old man putter". However, I was like 3 holes up when they started that.

Then we get to the 13th hole, a par 3, and all of us are on the green, and all almost exactly the same distance from the tee box. They started talking about how we all hit the ball exactly the same distance, one guy has a set of TMag Burner 2.0 and the other guy has RBZ's, and I had the Mizzies. They were talking about they both hit 8 irons. And asked what I hit, I said 7 but my Mizzy 7 iron was the same as their TMag 8 irons, and they then started talking about how much better engineered the TMag's were because they went farther. I did not argue with them that and only said if their clubs are so much better than mine, how come I was 3 strokes up and putting last (closest to the hole) on this hole. It was good natured arguing, and I left that hole 4 holes up, but had to leave after 2 more holes. And shot a 1 over par on horrible greens. I had a 12 foot putt break, bounce,5 different directions on that green and stop in a punch mark a 1/2 inch from the hole. But that is course maintenance for you.

This was just good-natured ribbing about the "old man putter" and I do not use it all the time, but I could see if they were outlawed at any level some people would have a huge problem with it. There are only about 6 or so people that I have seen at my club that use them. However, I can see this issue filtering down, more so than the groove issue. Most people do not see that the grooves make any difference at their level. since they can not spin the ball anyway. But the can see a long putter.

Graeme McDowell just offered his opinion on the long putter. He told how much of an advantage it is, and how he looks forward to the R&A and USGA "leveling the playing field". He offered the evidence of all the different major winners have used the belly putter and the fact that long putter finished 1st and 2nd in The Open. B.S. He said that the pressure was much easier to handle on the back 9 on Sunday with a long putter. This reasoning is perhaps the reason there was an outcry a few years ago for drug testing. He was obviously smoking something if he thinks the long putter is insurance against a back 9 meltdown.

If they are such an advantage why does he not have one. Can he not afford it?

Have not tried one but understand where some people are having issue with putters being anchor to the body. Personally I'm very much a traditionalist and feels a putter stroke is part of a golf swing and therefore should not be anchor to the body in any way.

This arguement is as stupid as the R&A saying the long putter is an advantage in the wind because you can use it to steady yourself. Please explain to me which end of the club you are swinging if one end is anchored to your belly and the other end is used to build a stance or to steady yourself in the wnd. Does that mean you are swinging the third end to hit the ball?:)

RR, I agree to the point it IS stupid, just like kneeling on a towel is "building a stance" I don't see how by kneeling on a towel you improve anything, you are making a swing from your knees I am heck. Kneeling on a towel is "building a stance" to gain an advantage, I was only suggesting that MAYBE in the minds of the USGA and R&A the anchored putter is also "building a stance" to gain an advantage.

Not my personal opinion, just a talking topic, I sometimes play devils advocate on purpose.

While I agree that Furyk did sort of melt down in the US Open. I do not necessarily agree on the WGC. He did not blow a huge lead, yes he made a double bogey and missed a seemingly easy putt, but Keegan had just poured in a 15 footer to make an outstanding par, and Furyk had just had two bad lies from the deep grass. Faldo had a segment that aired earlier in the week about the grain of the grass and how it affected the chips, and how difficult it could be. Then Furyk does the same thing that Faldo demonstrated could happen, and Faldo says it was inexcusable. Furyk missed the putt but when I watched it back on Monday replay, it was not that bad a putt. Oosthuzen (spelling?) had just missed a putt that did not break until after the hole, not on Furyks line but you could still tell Furyks was going to break. Furyk took three good looks at it and then hit the putt and it went straight until past the hole. Maybe he hit it too hard, he certainly had the adrenaline pumping but I would not call that a meltdown. BUt it was certainly disappointing.

I call it a meltdown because the same exact thing happened off the tee in both the US Open and WGC that cost him. A nasty snap hook left and a bad lie to recover from. Now the short putt that was missed on 18 was hit too hard, that sucker went at least 4 feet past the hole. Jim tried to slam it home and missed completely not even a lip out. I was sort of being a smart a$$ about Furyk's comments I'm sure he made them before the WGC.

Well, I can see how grain can effect chips / pitches from very deep nasty lies, you have to adjust the speed in which the club enters that grass based on grain and grass type. Deep Bermuda rough is probably going to be a lot worse into the grain then deep bentgrass rough. Both snag the club head more then if it were down grain. But these are professionals and probably should be able to adjust pretty easily. Sorry the grain of grass crap in chipping is way OT my fault.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I call it a meltdown because the same exact thing happened off the tee in both the US Open and WGC that cost him. A nasty snap hook left and a bad lie to recover from. Now the short putt that was missed on 18 was hit too hard, that sucker went at least 4 feet past the hole. Jim tried to slam it home and missed completely not even a lip out. I was sort of being a smart a$ about Furyk's comments I'm sure he made them before the WGC.

Well, I can see how grain can effect chips / pitches from very deep nasty lies, you have to adjust the speed in which the club enters that grass based on grain and grass type. Deep Bermuda rough is probably going to be a lot worse into the grain then deep bentgrass rough. Both snag the club head more then if it were down grain. But these are professionals and probably should be able to adjust pretty easily. Sorry the grain of grass crap in chipping is way OT my fault.

He was in the fairway on 18 and perhaps a little more left than perfect but still in the fairway. He certainly miss judged the wind but then so did Bradley. He got unlucky and bounced out of the bunker and into the grass, but you are right. He is a professional. He should have done just like I did some day this week but it was not yesterday, when I had similar lies. Do not get cute and at the expense of getting on the green. You can make a long putt with some luck from anywhere on the green, but you can not putt from the deep grass. Get it on the green and worry about the hole on the next shot. I did this, and while I did not make my par today. I at least made my bogey.

He was in the fairway on 18 and perhaps a little more left than perfect but still in the fairway. He certainly miss judged the wind but then so did Bradley. He got unlucky and bounced out of the bunker and into the grass, but you are right. He is a professional. He should have done just like I did some day this week but it was not yesterday, when I had similar lies. Do not get cute and at the expense of getting on the green. You can make a long putt with some luck from anywhere on the green, but you can not putt from the deep grass. Get it on the green and worry about the hole on the next shot. I did this, and while I did not make my par today. I at least made my bogey.

My fault then, I thought he hit a snap hook on that hole at some point sorry. But making Double bogey in the fairway is pretty dang bad.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Okay I want to move away from the Furyk "meltdowns" and back to the point of the thread - anchored putters and two sets of rules.

But as an aside I want the golf bag that Jim Furyk was using last Sunday - bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we end up with two sets of rules we will in fact have the USGA to thank. Even when it researches matters it still makes a knee jerk decision ie. the grooves decision. It assumes that because grooves are making it easier to stop a ball out of the rough that changing the grooves will restore a premium on hitting fairways - but we've yet to see evidence that this was true nor did they do what any other sport would do and have a trial period - they just did it. I'd argue that we already have two sets of rules anyway in part at least because the USGA can't take into account the practical aspect of playing golf the way an overwhelming majority of golfers do - on a crowded public course that's not always well conditioned.

In regards to the anchored putter the issue is well stated by Carl Petterson - its been allowed for 30 years - there is in fact now an entire generation of professional golfers who haven't switched to it but have used it throughout their careers - it would be ridiculously unfair to tell them they have to change - I would think they'd have little trouble prevailing in a law suit or more likely winning a huge settlement alla Ping back in the 80's. It's very different from the grooves which effected everyone - this only effects some players - its ripe for that sort of cash bonanza - finanicially speaking guys using the anchored putter should be hoping that the USGA and R and A ban the thing.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Well, you also have Ernie Els who at one point was completely against an anchored putter at one point. Now he uses one and has been quoted as saying "If they are going to let me use one, I'm going to cheat like the rest of them."

What does that tell you about the mind set moving forward about this issue? The more people that start winning with it the more people that will probably start switching to it. Hardly a "knee jerk reaction", yea it has been allowed for 30 years but what percentage of players actually used it on tour for the last 30 years? Maybe we need to get a base line and the percentage of anchored putters between then and now. I would be willing to guess that the percentage of players anchoring putters now is a ton higher. So the issue only needs look at now as it starts to really gain traction where before it might have been 1 or 2 guys now it seems to be about 50% of the top 25 in the world golf rankings (I'm guessing on that not really an accurate number).

I would love to see anyone sue over the ban of an anchored putter, would love it. On what grounds can you legally sue someone over the equipment that is required for a professional sport? It hasn't happened in MLB, NFL, NHL, etc yet and they all regulate equipment and rules that are different from the amateur level of sports. You can't sit there and say it is anything do do with medical reasons, as if you can swing a driver that's not anchored at 80mph or more club head speed you can make a little putting stroke with a club that is not anchored as well. A full swing puts a ton of stress on the body, if you healthy enough to make a full swing you're healthy enough to make a little put without anchoring the shaft.

As for OEMs attempting to sue they didn't do it when the groove rule was changed, they used it as a marketing tool actually. Also, it probably boosted their review in irons and wedges in 2010 and to currently if I had to guess from the players like myself switching or players that didn't want to switch stocking up on the old-grooves while they still could. Either way it was actually GOOD for OEM business.

What needs changed to convert a long putter into a short one again? The weight of the head needs reduced that the shaft needs to be cut down. Not really all that hard to have happen. Besides, if it did get banned for AMs they would grandfather it out like they have been doing the grooves. First make the pros switch, then 4 years later make top AMs switch then 20 years later from the Top AMs make all AMs switch, just have the OEMs stop producing them after a given point and allow time for them to clean out innovatory and presto no law suits.

Srixon Z-Star

Okay I want to move away from the Furyk "meltdowns" and back to the point of the thread - anchored putters and two sets of rules.

But as an aside I want the golf bag that Jim Furyk was using last Sunday - bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we end up with two sets of rules we will in fact have the USGA to thank. Even when it researches matters it still makes a knee jerk decision ie. the grooves decision. It assumes that because grooves are making it easier to stop a ball out of the rough that changing the grooves will restore a premium on hitting fairways - but we've yet to see evidence that this was true nor did they do what any other sport would do and have a trial period - they just did it. I'd argue that we already have two sets of rules anyway in part at least because the USGA can't take into account the practical aspect of playing golf the way an overwhelming majority of golfers do - on a crowded public course that's not always well conditioned.

In regards to the anchored putter the issue is well stated by Carl Petterson - its been allowed for 30 years - there is in fact now an entire generation of professional golfers who haven't switched to it but have used it throughout their careers - it would be ridiculously unfair to tell them they have to change - I would think they'd have little trouble prevailing in a law suit or more likely winning a huge settlement alla Ping back in the 80's. It's very different from the grooves which effected everyone - this only effects some players - its ripe for that sort of cash bonanza - finanicially speaking guys using the anchored putter should be hoping that the USGA and R and A ban the thing.

I mostly agree with this, although I am not sure about the lawsuits. It is my experience that the lawyers make the most money in that event. But the USGA said it would be three years before we could see the effects of the groove rule. BS. These guys had months to practice with them and they have done the same thing I have. Instead of flying the ball to the hole, they are flying the ball short of the hole and letting it run out. If the pin is close to the front, they are laying up a bit farther back and taking a fuller swing to get the spin, Heck if I can figure that out the guys who do this for a living had it figured out before the rule went into effect. It had no change on the pros, the majority of the Ams. do not know or care and can not spin the ball anyway. Also the Spinner shafts, which I got my first one of this week, almost make up the difference, to this was a useless rule that detracted from the game and they only ones who benefited was the wedge manufacturers.

The issue of anchored putters give some people an advantage coming down the stretch is also hogwash. Keegan Bradley may have an advantage but no one else has really demonstrated that. Plus, can these guys not afford a long putter if it is that much of an advantage. They get them for free anyway, actually they are paid to play them in many cases. It does no good to be able to make putts on Thursday and Friday and not make them on Sunday. So get the putter that "gives you an advantage coming down the stretch."

I actually think that they will rule that they are legal, and will remain legal, and that this is the way it will be. The media is stirring this debate mainly because it gets people interested in what is going on and drives up ratings.

I actually think that they will rule that they are legal, and will remain legal, and that this is the way it will be. The media is stirring this debate mainly because it gets people interested in what is going on and drives up ratings.

I seriously wonder what the R&A and USGA actually think, and more importantly, what the player's union thinks (are they in a union?). We hear everything through the filter of the media and they know it pisses people off to ban it, so they fan the flames as much as possible.

I disagree with banning it, but in the end it won't change anything for me. I gotta say I'm tired of the media coverage already.

I seriously wonder what the R&A and USGA actually think, and more importantly, what the player's union thinks (are they in a union?). We hear everything through the filter of the media and they know it pisses people off to ban it, so they fan the flames as much as possible.

I disagree with banning it, but in the end it won't change anything for me. I gotta say I'm tired of the media coverage already.

I do not think they are a union. They are all independant contractors but they do elect players to represent their views on the rules committee. Jim Furyk is the dude. I wish I would have kept the quote, but he did say the other day that they could decide to go against the USGA and R&A and play by whatever rule they wanted. They talked about it with the grooves rule but it was not a big enough deal. This could be. The only tournaments it would effect is The Open and the PGA, but how big would a Major be if the players did not show. Imagine all the long putter guys playing in the Southern Classic instead of The Open.

I do not think they are a union. They are all independant contractors but they do elect players to represent their views on the rules committee. Jim Furyk is the dude. I wish I would have kept the quote, but he did say the other day that they could decide to go against the USGA and R&A and play by whatever rule they wanted. They talked about it with the grooves rule but it was not a big enough deal. This could be. The only tournaments it would effect is The Open and the PGA, but how big would a Major be if the players did not show. Imagine all the long putter guys playing in the Southern Classic instead of The Open.

I can see it now, Tiger Woods switches stances on anchored putters and encourages long putters to make a stand by boycotting the two Opens, which he'd incidentally still play in :lol:

I've got to go back to the Lawsuit comment.

I'm sorry to disagree with those who might think it impossible - I can't speak to other sports but I do know for certain that the USGA has faced two major lawsuits over the past 25 years and that they've lost both times - once being forced to settle out of court for a huge amount of money and the other time being embarrased because they refused to allow a disabled participant to ride a golf cart in the US Open.

Don't think for a moment that a sharp attorney couldn't cobble together a case similar to Pings, demonstarting that like Ping the anchored putter had been ruled conforming and worst of all that an entire generation of players has been allowed to grow up developing their games around this type of putter.

I'm not a lawyer - obviously the USGA believed that Ping could prevail in court and their settlement provides very good fodder for a lawsuit at any attempt to change rules regarding already approved equipment or playing styles.

Just a hunch

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Pings lawsuit had no evidence compared to this case. There is no evidence that the longer putters help anyone, let alone enough to pull the plug on them, but there is certainly evidence that they have been legal for 30 years and this will impair their livelihood.

I was talking to one of my lawyer friends today and he was telling about getting the confession of a guy who walked naked into a convenient store late at night and asking for cigarettes and then after getting arrested for Public Intoxication after admitting he was drunk. Since by definition Public Intoxication means he is a hazard to the community or himself so he could not possibly be responsible enough to have made a binding confession.

If a lawyer can get that thrown out they can surely have a case here.

At the very least there would be clear damages to ask for and the fact that the action taken is prejudicial to a group of people - As you've said RR there is far less to go on than the Ping thing and the USGA caved on that - imagine what happens with this.

But again I'm not a lawyer I'm simply going by what I know about the law and how I've observed the USGA get hammered twice.

I think they would be best to leave well enough alone and worry about being proactive going forward rather than reactive. That and be concerned about making rules for the real world of golf.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

The ruling bodies have taken a fair amount of heat for letting the game get out of control. I can see them taking this opportunity to re-assert their control by making a rule against anchoring. Some players may bring lawsuits but if I remember correctly lawsuits by players when croquet putting was outlawed didn't succeed. Some manufacturers may also bring suits but long putters are not a huge market. Even if those suits win, settlements should not be that large. And a ban on anchoring would create some demand for new putters which is in the favor of manufacturers. I see this as the perfect opportunity for the ruling bodies to make a stand against anchoring.

The ruling bodies have taken a fair amount of heat for letting the game get out of control. I can see them taking this opportunity to re-assert their control by making a rule against anchoring. Some players may bring lawsuits but if I remember correctly lawsuits by players when croquet putting was outlawed didn't succeed. Some manufacturers may also bring suits but long putters are not a huge market. Even if those suits win, settlements should not be that large. And a ban on anchoring would create some demand for new putters which is in the favor of manufacturers. I see this as the perfect opportunity for the ruling bodies to make a stand against anchoring.

Sam Snead did not bring suit against the USGA because of croquet style puttiing. He elected to putt side saddle after that.

I don't think those of you who are dismissing a lawsuit are thinking logically enough - the only one with a case back when the crocket style was outlawed was Snead because he was the only one doing it - no one else could reasonably bring suit because no court would hear it.

This is a different matter. There is an entire class of players who have been using an anchored putter for their entire careers because it was legal - they will have a case that will be heard and there will have to be a settlement.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5