Sqairz vs. Payntr vs. Your Recommendation

Hello Everyone!

I am a lurker on the forums, and I finally decided to post more as I require your expertise!

I am on the market for a new pair of spiked golf shoes. I am currently using the True Linkswear Originals 1.2, but the amount of slippage I've been experiencing lately is having me look elsewhere. My golf coach has recommended Payntrs, but I had my eye on Sqairz as well. I have fallen arches and flat feet so fit is pretty crucial. 

Which shoes are you all wearing, or what would you recommend?

Posted (edited)

After an excellent 2+ year run with my Payntr X002LE’s in white, I recently bought X001F (mesh) in black and X005F’s in white. Excellent traction and stability and they are extremely comfortable, I walk 18 once/week and ride twice a week. Also very durable - I got over 100 rounds (600-700 miles?) out of the X002LE’s before the midsole seemed to wear, but otherwise the shoes still looked great.

I’ve owned lots of FJ’s, and I ran some Ecco Biom C4’s at the same time as the Payntr X002LE’s. The Payntr’s midsoles lasted longer, and just as comfortable if not more so as the Ecco’s for $60 less/pair.

I have never owned Sqairz, but a golf buddy of mine bought two pair. He says they’re comfortable but he always rides, never walks. About a year in (50 rounds?), the sole separated from the upper at the toe, He called Sqairz and they told him sorry, but that’s it. Only 1 person so FWIW.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

57 minutes ago, Middler said:

After an excellent 2+ year run with my Payntr X002LE’s in white, I recently bought X001F (mesh) in black and X005F’s in white. Excellent traction and stability and they are extremely comfortable, I walk 18 once/week and ride twice a week. Also very durable - I got over 100 rounds (600-700 miles?) out of the X002LE’s before the midsole seemed to wear, but otherwise the shoes still looked great.

I’ve owned lots of FJ’s, and I ran some Ecco Biom C4’s at the same time as the Payntr X002LE’s. The Payntr’s midsoles lasted longer, and just as comfortable if not more so as the Ecco’s for $60 less/pair.

I have never owned Sqairz, but a golf buddy of mine bought two pair. He says they’re comfortable but he always rides, never walks. About a year in (50 rounds?), the sole separated from the upper at the toe, He called Sqairz and they told him sorry, but that’s it. Only 1 person so FWIW.

Thank you for your input! How did you decide on which Payntr model to purchase?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, yosher said:

Thank you for your input! How did you decide on which Payntr model to purchase?

Frankly they're all similar, I think they have the same soles. I just wanted to make sure I had a least one pair that are waterproof, so I bought one mesh (cooler for summer) and one more waterproof. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them, though I have never bought their least expensive models. Good luck.

I should add Payntr's seem to run about a half size small, so if you have any question on size, I'd go up a half. I wear 12's for most shoes but I bought Payntr 13's because a)size runs a little small, b) I use Powerstep insoles, c) my feet seem to swell slightly when I walk 18. 13's are perfect for me.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I would strongly suggest SQAIRZ.  First because i am part of the company and secondly, our patented toe box design allows the toes to sit naturally and splay during the swing providing measurably more balance and stability.  In fact, My Spy Forum testing finished last week and 5 out of the 5 testers stated they were "more accurate because of our shoes."  Balance = Power + Accuracy.  Our AI hybrid traction pattern provides excellent traction on all lies and terrains.  Our new EVA foam midsole coupled with our dual density footbed has a lot to do with the testers also commenting unanimously about walking comfort.  Lastly, our new microfiber upper material is breathable and 100% waterproof.  We, unlike other footwear companies, put our money where our mouth is.  You can wear our shoes and within 30 days, if they do not perform as we say, you can return them for a full refund.  

On a side note, with the forum testing, a brand puts themselves out there and the chips fall where they may.  We have no influence on the outcome.  SQAIRZ is the only footwear brand this year to do the Forum test.  Hope you give us a try.  

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, BobW said:

I would strongly suggest SQAIRZ.  First because i am part of the company and secondly, our patented toe box design allows the toes to sit naturally and splay during the swing providing measurably more balance and stability.  In fact, My Spy Forum testing finished last week and 5 out of the 5 testers stated they were "more accurate because of our shoes."  Balance = Power + Accuracy.  Our AI hybrid traction pattern provides excellent traction on all lies and terrains.  Our new EVA foam midsole coupled with our dual density footbed has a lot to do with the testers also commenting unanimously about walking comfort.  Lastly, our new microfiber upper material is breathable and 100% waterproof.  We, unlike other footwear companies, put our money where our mouth is.  You can wear our shoes and within 30 days, if they do not perform as we say, you can return them for a full refund.  

On a side note, with the forum testing, a brand puts themselves out there and the chips fall where they may.  We have no influence on the outcome.  SQAIRZ is the only footwear brand this year to do the Forum test.  Hope you give us a try.  

Thank you for your input! I was unaware of the 30 day trial.

I am intrigued with sqairz as I am shooting to reach 120 CHS. I see there are 3 new models this year, do you have any advice on which one I should pick or provide some guidance on the difference between the 3 options and which each cater to?

Edited by yosher

For sure ... the new Velo is best for your swingspeed.  Our proprietary "NRG-Direct™ technology reduces energy loss in the high stress-lateral side of the shoe, redirects and funnels power upwards. This film provides weightless lateral and rotational support.   We also have an integrated stabilizer that extends externally from the heel, between internal layers down to the arch for exceptional arch support and torsion control (prevents the shoe from twisting with high swingspeeds).  Please use the code DISTANCE for a discount.  

1 hour ago, BobW said:

For sure ... the new Velo is best for your swingspeed.  Our proprietary "NRG-Direct™ technology reduces energy loss in the high stress-lateral side of the shoe, redirects and funnels power upwards. This film provides weightless lateral and rotational support.   We also have an integrated stabilizer that extends externally from the heel, between internal layers down to the arch for exceptional arch support and torsion control (prevents the shoe from twisting with high swingspeeds).  Please use the code DISTANCE for a discount.  

Thanks for the write up! Is there any further details where I can read up on the difference between the models? I looked on the webpage and couldn't find any details. As nice as the Velo sounds, the other models look a bit more aesthetically please.

I'd highly recommend the Sqairz also.  I was in the original testing group here and have been wearing them since then.  My feet are picky about shoes and these just fit well, very comfortable and I've walked a bunch in them and cart play also.  Only thing I've had to do to them over a couple years is replace the spikes which you have to do with any shoes.  Fit and comfort is great and quality workmanship.  And if you have any issues, Sqairz will work with you.    Give a pair a try and see what you think.  Let us know.  I've actually got 6 pairs of them.   One more thing, the shoelaces with the nubs on them stay tied for the entire round so one less thing to mess with.   

Ping G400 max    

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist  T350 irons 6-pw

Sub 70 JB 54 and 58 wedges 

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft  Just received DF3/accra

Larry ... thanks for the note above and appreciate all the support.  Yosher, the Speed2 has a similar but different technology than the Velo.  There is a carbon film around thew heel for added support a "gear" embossing on the sides of the shoe.  Embossing tightens the material in that area and provides added structural support.  The ProS2 has a similar embossing.  Both models have the same outsole, microfiber upper, heel to arch stabilizer, and EVA foam midsole.  

17 hours ago, BobW said:

Larry ... thanks for the note above and appreciate all the support.  Yosher, the Speed2 has a similar but different technology than the Velo.  There is a carbon film around thew heel for added support a "gear" embossing on the sides of the shoe.  Embossing tightens the material in that area and provides added structural support.  The ProS2 has a similar embossing.  Both models have the same outsole, microfiber upper, heel to arch stabilizer, and EVA foam midsole.  

Thank you even more details! I really appreciate it.

Just last month I got a pair of both - the Squairz ProS2 and the Payntr X002LE. I also placed an order for some Ecco’s w my clubs proshop but they haven’t come in. 

Ive worn the Inesis dry grips for several seasons and have several pairs - most important to me they were 1,000% water proof, followed by fantastic traction, and I could walk 18 and then ride 18 without changing or taking a break.  Maybe not the most fashionable but the price allowed me to have three pairs for the price of one of the better known brands. But alas, as of this spring I can’t seem to find them. 

so I’m testing some new to me brands to see what I like the most. 

Thus far north the Payntr and Sqairz are both passing the waterproof test. 

I find the Payntr to be a little more comfortable walking 18. Nothing wrong w the Sqairz. I’ve just liked the Payntrs a little better. When I walk in the Sqairz I feel the cleat that is under the fourth toe. Not painful or a problem - just found it odd at first. Like my toes are gripping the cleat.  I do like the wider toe box - you’ll never feel cramped. 

I went w the ProS2 because I was looking for the simplest most traditional look. 

The Sqairz definitely feel and stay tight around your ankle. With the Payntrs I used a runners tie - something I’ve done w other golf shoes to replicate that feeling - where you lace the last two on the same side and cross over underneath before tying to really keep them snug. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

17 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

With the Payntrs I used a runners tie - something I’ve done w other golf shoes to replicate that feeling - where you lace the last two on the same side and cross over underneath before tying to really keep them snug. 

+1. I just double tie all my "activity" shoes - golf, running, pickleball. Never come untied and keeps the lace tails out of the way. Why not?

• LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I'm a big fan of Payntr's. Got my first pair earlier this year and I use them exclusively when I walk 9-18 holes. Very comfortable yet lots of traction for a spikeless shoe. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 8:37 PM, Middler said:

I have never owned Sqairz, but a golf buddy of mine decided to Explore now the brand and bought two pairs. He says they’re comfortable but he always rides, never walks. About a year in (50 rounds?), the sole separated from the upper at the toe, He called Sqairz and they told him sorry, but that’s it. Only 1 person so FWIW.

I have been getting hammered with offers for Sqairz. And though I normally don’t spend that much for shoes, I am intrigued. How are they? Are they worth the $$?

Edited by sammcneill

On 7/9/2024 at 4:23 PM, sammcneill said:

I have been getting hammered with offers for Sqairz. And though I normally don’t spend that much for shoes, I am intrigued. How are they? Are they worth the $$?

Not sure why you quoted/asked me, I’ve never owned Sqairz? I recommended Payntr. My second hand experience with Sqairz was questionable quality (sole delam) and customer support (above).

Edited by Middler
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Sam/Middler ... I want to jump in and address a few things on this thread.  Middler, you mentioned your "second hand" experience regarding a delamination issue.  Footwear making is a manual process and albeit rarely, not enough glue is applied between the outsole and midsole (in certain areas) and separation happens.  Inevitably, all manufacturers experience these types of manufacturing issues.  The key is how they handle it with customers.  We replace the pair immediately at no cost to the customer and usually add a gift for any inconvenience.  Sam, regarding your question "are they worth the money."  In the recent MGS Forum test, the testers UNANIMOUSLY agreed they were more accurate and consistent with SQAIRZ.  The reason, balance = power and accuracy.  No other golf shoe company is making these bold performance claims (and backing them up).  How many golf shoe companies dare to put themselves out there in the Forum testing program this year?  By my count, only one!  We are confident in the performance and comfort and as a result, we offer a 30-day guarantee; wear our shoes for 30 days and if they don't perform as advertised, you can send them back for a full refund.  I hope you give us a try.  

Payntr was the best overall runner up in the MGS 2024 Buyers Guides for spiked and spikeless. Three models of Sqairz were tested in spiked and did not make the top 6. As far as I can tell, Sqairz does not make spikeless models?

I have relied on MGS reviews and buyers guides for over 5 years, and I have never been disappointed with a purchase based on an MGS recommendation.

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-shoes/best-spiked-golf-shoes/

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-shoes/best-spikeless-golf-shoes/

Edited by Middler
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Look at duca del cosma shoes. I have the "positano" amd absolutely love the fit,  feel, and finish.

1000011133.jpg

1000011129.jpg

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Gents, I am not here to call out competitive brands directly, only to offer up a perspective from a manufacturers point of view.  We study ground force and the impact the golf shoe has on performance.

MGS named SQAIRZ The Most Stable Golf shoe two years in a row.  Unlike other brands mentioned here, SQAIRZ has also won 3 times on the Tour.  In the recent testing by MGS Forum members, they Unanimously agreed SQAIRZ improved their accuracy and consistency.  This is the result of improved balance and stability, which has a direct relationship with accuracy and distance.   No other brand is or can claim this.  As it relates to spikeless shoes, in a recent independent study by Dr. Tyler Standifird, Utah Valley University Professor of Biomechanics and Kinesiology, regarding the structure and traction of golf footwear, the difference between a spiked shoe and a spikeless shoe is 9.1 yards!  If you are wearing a spikeless shoe, you are giving up 9.1 yards.  Happy to send you the study.  There is a reason why 82% of Tour players don't wear spikeless shoes ... ground connection and ground force production.  In fact, research Ben Hogan and the 13th cleat.  As for structure, if you can hold a shoe by the heel and the toe and twist it, get rid of it, it cannot accommodate the golf swing.   

On 7/2/2024 at 11:30 AM, BobW said:

What is the heel drop on SQAIRZ

On 7/2/2024 at 11:30 AM, BobW said:

I tried SQAIRZ two years ago.  They hurt my feet when I walked 18.  At the time they were advertising an 'UNCONDITIONAL' money back guarantee.  When I shipped them back they wanted to charge a restocking fee because I'd used them once.  So watch out for a 30 day FREE trial.  Make sure they ACTUALLY will honor that for a FULL refund before you buy them.

Sim2 MaxD, Cobra F7 3W, Ping G400 5W, Ping G425 7W, Ping G410 5-UW, Volkey SM-9 54,58, Odyssey two ball fang putter (this changes periodically)

That may or may not be good or bad.

Joe, I can't adequately address what happened two years ago so I'm not even going to try.  If there is something i can do to make this right, i would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.  Our policy back then, if you wear them and they didn't meet your expectations, you can send them back within 30 days for a refund and we did charge a restocking fee.  The "unconditional" component was associated with the "reason" for return.  Our policy today is: if you wear the shoes and they don't meet your expectations, you can send them back within 30 days and there is no restocking fee.  We do not offer this program on closeouts or limited-edition shoes.  May i ask that you send me a personal message and i'll reach out to you directly.  Thank you.  

As someone who has slipped on a golf course and suffered a fractured arm, traction is my number one concern when buying golf shoes. I have now worn Sqairz shoes exclusively since mid 2020, playing golf year round, every weekday, weather permitting, so that is during hundreds of rounds. I have gone up and down some fairly steep slopes and even in wet conditions I have not slipped once, not once in all that time in any weather condition or on any turf conditions. If traction is your concern, I cannot endorse Sqairz shoes enough!

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

• 1 month later...

Payntr Golf Shoes

Overview:

Design: Payntr shoes are designed with a focus on performance and comfort, using materials that enhance flexibility and breathability.

Comfort: Known for their plush insoles and cushioning, Payntr shoes aim to provide a comfortable fit even during extended wear.

Performance: Payntr incorporates advanced technology for grip and stability, suitable for various playing conditions.

Pros:

High level of comfort with advanced cushioning.

Modern design with good performance features.

Flexible and breathable materials.

Cons:

Limited style options.

May be priced higher compared to some other brands.

3. General Recommendations

FootJoy

Overview: FootJoy is a well-established brand known for its wide range of golf shoes, including options for all budgets and preferences.

Comfort: Offers various models with excellent cushioning and support.

Performance: Known for reliable traction and stability.

Nike Golf

Overview: Nike provides stylish and performance-driven golf shoes, often featuring advanced technology for comfort and traction.

Comfort: Good cushioning and support with a modern design.

Performance: Reliable traction and stability with a range of styles.

Adidas Golf

Overview: Adidas golf shoes are popular for their combination of style, comfort, and performance.

Comfort: Features like Boost cushioning offer great comfort.

Performance: Known for good grip and stability with a variety of designs.

More information on Whatslinky

Edited by sonofgohan