TESTERS WANTED! ×

10-year-old girl qualifies for U.S. Women's Amateur

Moecat

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/07/latanna-stone-10-qualifies-for-us-womens-amateur.html?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

Latanna_3MP.jpg

Add the name Latanna Stone to the list of qualifiers for the U.S. Women's Amateur, which will be held next month in Cleveland. Stone won medalist honors after firing a 70 on July 13 at the Wanderers Club in Wellington, Fla.

So, what makes Stone so special?

She's 4-feet-8-inches tall. Also, she's 10 years old.

Ten.

Stone is reportedly the youngest person to qualify for a USGA event, breaking the previous record of 12. The tournament will take place Aug. 6-12 at The Country Club in Cleveland.

Stone has apparently been preparing for her time in the spotlight. She has a big-name coach, Charlotta Sorenstam (Annika's younger sister), and her own website, which states that Stone has won 102 tournaments and drives the ball 180 yards. And yes, Stone also has her own Twitter account.

Thats great for her and an amazing accomplishment. I just think ten is too young. I feel like being in that atmosphere that young will have negative effects on her. I don't know if how if it would be as bad as a male doing it, but thats a lot of pressure very young. Hopefully she continues to love the game and does not lose interest. I also hope she does not develop socially like Tiger. Only time will tell.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Female develop physically in height / strength / mentally most time earlier the males, doesn't shock me at all 8 times 12 year old girls have qualified. I would be more shocked by a 10 year old boy doing that same thing.Here is what I have to say about it.

A great reword for hard work in a game that she is passionate about and something she should be proud of.

Oh and kudos to the parents for getting her lessons young and having the funds to support the habit :)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Wow

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived