Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

rare clubs in bag

I've never even hit a 1 iron... I was just thinking about this watching The Open this weekend, I think I might go out and try to find one CHEAP just to play around with...

As for me, my longest iron is a 5i, from there I drop to a 3 and 4 hybrid, 3 wood and driver... I don't really have any gaps, so this seems to work for me though...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I have seriously been considering, well it went for more money than I wanted to spend is how serious, getting a 2 iron. The longest iron I carry is a 4 iron, and I have absolutely been smoking this iron. I am hitting it off of 8 or 10 tees, and am going to have to start using a 5 iron on two of them if the tees are up close. I was originally hitting this club 190 but as I have gotten more comfortable with it I am hitting it out yesterday in the 220 range from the tee.

I played in the scramble last night and one of the three best golfers at my club was on my team, I hit this 4 iron off the tee and he was going to hit behind me, he said, "that is the best struck ball I have ever seen and I am not going to waste my time." And walked back to the bag and put his club up. We then had one of the young bombers hit a driver and went 310 to clear the lake and picked mine up but hey, I felt great hearing that.

I like idea of this but am not wanting to waste a lot of money because just because once before I conducted a test to see if the hybrids or the irons were better. The truth of the matter is hybrids go farther and higher on well struck balls and land softer than irons. And they are more forgiving, and are truly a better option. Yes, I would have loved to have one last night and bombed it in the scramble and have someone ask what club I hit and been able to say,"2 iron" but hybrids are a much better all around choice.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I still fool around with a few Ping Eye 2 two irons and have a 1 iron somewhere.

Trying to find either a 16 degree Yonex Zero Iron or a Fourteen Driving Iron.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Hey just interested to see the numbers. I still carry a 1 iron and sacrafice a 3 metal. Anyone else do the same?

I have a couple of those but have never really played one seriously. I've never even given the 2 Iron a real place in my bag. I would have had to give up one of my fairways and they work better in so many conditions that I could never dare face a fairway without a full complement.

Shambles

Carried a 1 and 2 iron up until about 2004; mind you they weren't easy to hit Pings! Pah, if your going to make it hard for yourself, make it really hard! Mine were Maruman 41cx Blades with X stiff vanadium shafts.

When it went wrong, it was a trip to the doctors (wow it hurt on cold days if you hit it out of the toe)! But when it went right, wow, long and amazing drilling flight.

Did carry a Ping Zing 1 iron for a bit after this, used it when playing links courses - one very windy day at Royal Liverpool (about as good as Links gets) I hit it over 350 yards, mind you on the next hole in the other direction I nailed it 160yds!

But jeez Hybrids make life easy, much as I love the feeling of a well struck long iron for anyone playing off more than 6 or 7 it's probably not a great idea hunting out old Mizuno, Wilson etc 1 irons.

Oh and to rehash the usual discussion, given the changes in lofts over the last 20 years; many 3 irons are probably the same strength as 2 irons were years ago, balls go further as well.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

As I have never been a long hitter, I have always carried a driver, 3W & 5W....My 3H is 185 & 4H is 170. They are almost the same as my 3W & 5W, so I pulled the 5W and replaced it with a 2H (Nickent 3DXRC 17*). This goes 195 - 205 and stays low.....I can choke up, play it off my right foot and use it to get out from under trees. I can also put a little draw on and get 215 - 220 from it.

Years ago I used to hit a Spalding 2 iron that was my Gpa's in the 1940's. I believe it is about 80 yrs old now.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived