Michigan Summertime Public Golf

Michigan has been known to have some of the best public golf in the Midwest, especially in the summer 'prime time' season. Along with courses maintaining conditions into the fall. This summer I have had the privilege of playing some of the best courses in West Michigan and Northern Michigan. My list will continue to grow eventually as I want to get out to the resort courses like Tullymore, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor/Highlands, etc. 

First course of the summer was Arcadia Bluffs - South Course

This was a challenging course, which in my opinion is way harder than the bluffs course. Huge square greens and links style fairways accompanied with rolling hills. This gave me the feel of a Scottish Links course, also because the wind was whipping giving it that authentic vibe. I prefer not to say what I shot since it was a brutal day but we can say north of 90 for now.

Course condition 8/10 (played in May) - Price $110 9/10 (great value) - Difficulty 10/10 (so hard)

Below are some pictures of the course: 

South1.jpeg.9c91680706aaa2462aef6be58b208234.jpeg

South.jpeg.23ac941c91f9a5e4d5ebe18146565841.jpeg

Second course of the summer Arcadia Bluffs - Bluffs Course

This is the #1 public course in Michigan for a reason. Paying $165 for this course in May was well worth it. The most gorgeous course I have ever played (I have not played golf outside of Michigan yet, sorry) and some of the best views of Lake Michigan from atop the Bluff. Shot a 88 playing from the whites this day which was one of my better scores at the time. Once again, great rolling hills since it is atop a Bluff. Fairways are prestine and wire grass is almost impossible to play out of. Hit your fairways and greens and you will be fine just like any other course. Bucket list course for sure folks. 

Course condition 10/10 (played in May) - Price $165 10/10 (great value) - Difficulty 8/10 (not as hard as South Course)

Bluffs1.jpeg.a24149f827b5533d70f0d3067f97a2a4.jpeg

Bluffs2.jpeg.c48b289da82643ca65790a3ae39ec6c7.jpeg

Bluffs.jpeg.d447069cfc8805b4310f18a853d9dc89.jpeg

The next top 20 public course - American Dunes

This course is everything about what it means to protect and to serve. Jack Nicklaus has created a masterpiece on the West side of Michigan. Barely any rough covered with many and many bunkers and dunes. Wire grass lines the edges of the bunkers and fairway at times which makes it super hard if fairways are not hit. The Folds of Honor benefiting from all proceeds is another awesome touch and makes it awesome playing for a great cause. The rolling hills on the course also make it super enjoyable with a carved like feel when playing this course. Shot an 84 playing from the whites. 

Course condition 9/10 - Price $105 10/10 (great value) - Difficulty 7/10

Dunes.jpeg.6d8dec7c0960eb774ab827d62070b522.jpeg

Next top 20 course was Gull Lake View - Stoatin Brae Course

The one thing these courses have in common so far is the beauty of elevation. Stoatin Brae is sat up top one of the largest hills near Kalamazoo and has an incredible view into the countryside. This course also has links style golf written all over it. Not a super hard course, but rolling hills and elevation changes make it a beautiful course for this price point. I shot a 79 (first time ever breaking 80) from the blacks since they did not have white tees. Tees go yellow, green, black, blue being the farthest. Weird set up with the tees but I made it work even though I do not have a ton of length off the tee. I am heading back here in a week or two to play again. During the week playing by yourself you just cannot beat it at this course with perfect summer time conditions. 

Course condition 9/10 - Price $65 10/10 (great value) - Difficulty 7/10 (still challenging)

Stoatin.jpeg.28d1c9b06b1becf46a813b570a87ca9a.jpeg

Next course is Timber Ridge in Lansing

This course is perfect for a non-expensive round of golf but still want to get great conditions. I played this course in April and the fairways and greens are prestine. Not a super challenging course by any means, but still great bang for your buck. It is a straightforward course with some water that will still test your game and especially your short game. Thick rough and nice easy fairways make it important on hitting FW's. Shot an 89 playing from whites. 

Course condition 8/10 (played in April) - Price $49 10/10 (great value) - Difficulty 6/10

TimberRidge.jpeg.2143af6079c1bcae973dde7d11874f98.jpeg

Another top 20 public course in MI - Pilgrims Run

This course is the best course in or near Grand Rapids MI and there is no doubt about it. Perfect fairways and greens along with very hard to read greens. There are little spots in the green that you may not see which makes putting super hard, but overall plays super true. Each hole is there own little hole so to speak as they are not right next to each other and are seperated with lots of trees. Those trees do not leave a lot of room to the right and left so you have to play holes strategically. I shot an 84 here from the hybrid black/white tees. 

Course condition 10/10 - Price $85 10/10 (great value) - Difficulty 8/10 (a good challenge)

No pics for this course, I forgot 😞

Courses still on the agenda for this year - Harbor Shores, maybe Tullymore or Grand Traverse, Stoatin Brae and Pilgrims Run again, Belvedere, and Eagle Eye. 

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any experience with these courses or any hidden gems you guys love. 

Driver: Tour Edge C721 9 degree w/ Hzrdus RDX Smoke

3 wood: Tour edge C721 13.5 degree w/ Fujikura Ventus 6S 

Hybrid: Tour Edge C721 19 degree w/ Aldila Rogue Black TX 

Irons: 4-AW Titleist AP2 Forged 714 w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 degree w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Shaft, Cleveland CBX Full Face 60 degree with Dynamic Gold Spinner Shaft

Putter: Cleveland HB Soft #11 mallet putter w/ Super Stroke Claw 1.0 grip