Ecco G5 Boa Shoe Unofficial Review

Introduction

I posted a review of my Skecher shoes a little while back. These were the replacements so having used them for 3 months, I thought I'd post my thoughts.

I wanted a shoe with spikes as opposed to soft spikes to cater for our wet weather on the island we live on through winter. We can get some slippery conditions.

I decided to go for the Ecco after some poor experiences with a couple of pairs of shoes, most recently the Skechers. I thought I would try spending a little more trying to get a good pair. Historically I've had some fit issues with Footjoy.

I must apologise for the dirtiness. I don't clean my shoes much at all so you'll notice the green grass stains on the bottom. 

DSC02253.jpg.38704d4a08f6c12dac36614c75ee3720.jpg

Construction

The construction on the shoes is impeccable. I see why Ecco are so well regarded and it is a case of being able to see where your money has gone.

The Boa system works really well. I'm a big fan of the Boa system over laces for incremental tightness and this is a system that is implemented well. It isn't in a position that releases accidentally.

The toe of the right shoe is showing some wear after 3 months of regular use, but at this point, I can't say if it's a weak point as it hasn't worn through and the leather seems to be doing the job.

DSC02254.jpg.a09fce3b1ebf6d6f18515bab9efe4a9d.jpg

Fit and comfort

Fit is obviously individual but for me, the fit is pretty much perfect. Comfort is amazing. It's one of the better padded set of shoes, which manages to maintain comfort even when the Boa is tight.

Grip

Hard to give this less than 10/10 for grip. As you can see from these photos, I could remove the spikes and they will still have enough grip for dry days. They are grippy.

The G5's are spiked so if spiked isn't your thing, you're better off looking at at the C4 or H4 models which seem like similar soft spike variants.

DSC02256.jpg.ea090f2d5e9e77eb83ba1de57d29ef99.jpg

Negatives

There aren't many negatives on these shoes. The spikes make marks on the green when they are soft after rain, which is unfortunately exactly when you need the extra grip these offer. It means you have to be a little careful with where you are walking, particularly with other players lines.

As mentioned above, the toe is showing some wear, but it hasn't gone through and the leather top seems to be doing the job by keeping wear to a minimum.

Aside from that, the only other negative I can think of is that I actually want another pair of Ecco spikeless shoes for summer, and at the price these go for, that's not a good thing. My current spiked shoes will work, so its want, not need.

DSC02257.jpg.f524267ef7cf385adfc7b2b8da08a51a.jpg

Conclusion

What can I say that I haven't already said. Comfort: Check; Grip: Check; Construction: Check; Aesthetics: Not important for me personally but I do think they look good.

Outside of the price, it is hard to fault them, and even the price isn't that bad when you consider the quality of the shoes.

They're spiked so they aren't going to suit everyone, but they offer spikeless versions.

Compared to the sketcher, there is no comparison to me honest.

DSC02255.jpg

Edited by MissionMan

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock