Golf-Career Aspirations

I'm curious as to what are some of the career aspirations of the various forum members.  I just signed up for this forum in March and I really enjoy reading about others experiences. I'll be 42 in August. I've been a single digit handicap for the last 27 years.  I've been a scratch for the last 3 years. It's a pipe dream, but I want to qualify for a pro event someday.  At this rate I'm looking more toward senior competition. What about the rest of you?  Play for fun, competition, or both? 

Always looking for that competitive edge 

I love this question! 

I've been on a steady decline Handicap-wise over the last 3 years, from +20 to my now 8.2 (lowest ever).  I only really get to play / practice once a week, so realistically I know I'm butting up against some hard-and-fast limitations, but at 46 (I've got you by a few 😉 ), I know I'm still quite a few years away from breaking into that "AHHH FREE TIME" period of my life 🙂

For me, my current goals are to break par (lowest I've shot is a 75 +3), and then to be a sub-5 HCI  While I don't foresee a Senior Tour event in my future, I would absolutely FREAK OUT if that opportunity presented itself.  I do genuinely believe (which is the first step, IMO) that I can break par, and do it consistently, with more practice, so for me it's trying to figure out a way to carve more time out for that, while ALSO carving out time for kids, wife, family, work, etc.  Luckily, my four-year-old has shown a real proclivity for the sport, so my HOPE is that I'll be *forced* to go with him to the course for lessons and the like 😉

What about you all?  Where do you see your golf game going, in a dream world?  

Thanks for the great idea for a thread, @schmen082!

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Great question and discussion piece. I've only really started to take golf seriously the last 2ish seasons. Before that I would play, but it was super inconsistent and really never with any emphasis on doing something to actually improve.

I started last season at a 30.3 index and am currently a 15.7. My goal last year was to get to a 15 and at the time, I thought that would be good enough. I was wrong lol. I am trying to get down to the 12-13 range and would ultimately like to be in the single digits. I don't have a set timeline on when I want to achieve single digits by, but I do feel confident that I can do it. I have not broken 80 yet, but again this is one I am confident I can do as I'm typically just a few bad holes per round away from what I would consider a good score. I need to be better about consistent practice, which I have no excuse to not do other than busy schedules with our 7 and 4 year old boys plus work and everything else that comes with it.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

• GolfSpy SAM changed the title to Golf-Career Aspirations

Having had a low index for a while I still don't have a desire to compete. I feel it would take the fun out of playing. I do play in charity outings but those are always scrambles. I still play to win but its not that serious. I was in one last week and played with two golfers and a drunk. We had fun, shot a 56 and tied for first. Gave the money back to charity. 

For the few years that I was chasing scratch it became obvious to me that I was not having fun anymore. People don't realize how hard it is to move your index from 3 to zero. Three years ago I decided to just enjoy the game and the day. I didn't even renew my GHIN. Last year I decided to renew since I was at a new club. I play because I enjoy the challenge of the game and the people I meet. My handicap didn't suffer but I was having fun. I was also playing more. 

At my new club they have games every day of the week. I've been asked to play in them multiple times but politely turn them down. These guys want to get into arguments over a dollar all the time. The rules of golf are suggestions to them and the best wedge is the foot wedge. If a fire ant mound is within eyesight you get free relief to a perfect lie. It's just not for me, not to mention I would have to give  tons of strokes to people with padded handicaps. 

The other factor is age. Being mid 60's I know what my body can handle. The grind is not for me. Even if I was 20 years younger it wouldn't interest me.

I get to play a lot of golf. My company wants me to entertain customers on the course, pays for me to play in charity events around the country, and I'm a member at two clubs. My wife works for both as the office manager and my two children still at home work for the course in NC. I can go to the course and still be with family. I'm already living my dream.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I'm really liking the responses so far!!  It's hard to find time for competitive golf.  It's a dream of mine and I'll keep moving toward it if I can, but I also have a 5 year old and a 10 year old which brings challenges. I brought the 10 year old with me tonight (we walk which didn't sit well with her after 4 holes) and it makes concentrating a bit difficult at times.  I figure if I can learn to score with those distractions that maybe I can try competitive golf again in a few years. 

Always looking for that competitive edge 

I’m not big into competitive golf, but years ago when I was a 4 handicap my goal was to shave a few shots off to try and qualify for the US Open.   Maybe when I retire I’ll start playing some competitive golf since I should have more time to dedicate to getting better through practice.  

most likely scenario is that I take on a part time job at MGS HQ.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I worked with a guy who was a member at Hazeltine and played golf or worked on his game around five days a week. Long story short, he competed in US Senior Men Amateur  tournaments and won the Minnesota championship one year. My point in sharing this is that I think for anyone who has aspirations of playing pro, that perhaps competing at the Amateur level is a good way to test the waters. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

17 hours ago, schmen082 said:

Play for fun, competition, or both?

Both, and it depends on the company I'm in.  I have a few friends who just like to play, not to compete.  With others (including my wife) there's always a match of some kind.  I love to play in club tournaments, love to compete in our interclub league.  At my age (67), I have no real aspirations towards anything greater.

For the OP, I don't know if you've done this, but look at competing in your state amateur or opens, fourball competitions, mid-am competitions, there are probably a fair number of opportunities to compete.  I know in Virginia the qualifiers are held at some pretty nice courses, at a pretty reasonable cost.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

When I was a PGA professional I attempted a few time to qualify for events, even one Ben Hogan event (when it existed).  Had no luck.  Always thought that maybe I would someday try to qualify for a senior tour event when I got old enough but then I had a daughter and she takes up a lot of my time.  I guess there is still a chance but we'll see.  

Would like to get back into the golf business someday but not sure I would want that to be as a club pro.  Have even looked into indoor simulator businesses but not sure that would be for me.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Red 6S

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 16

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 52 Black

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 58 Black

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo