Balancing Family and Golf Life

I have a question for my fellow forum members.   How do you balance family life and golf life?  I've found this to be a challenge at times. I have a 10 year old and a 5 year old. The 10 year old comes out with me sometimes, but she doesn't love that I walk every round so the 9 holes may get cut short from time to time.  I have this weird thing where I feel like I need to "earn" my golf time. I'm a teacher so I have a little more time now than I normally would.  I do laundry,  dishes, cleaning, and anything else the house needs everyday to justify my "free time" at the course (my wife doesn't mind that part!!).  The downside is that sometimes I'm WIPED OUT by the time I hit the course.  I'm interested to hear what all of you do to try to balance your passion for your hobby and your family. 

Always looking for that competitive edge 

@schmen082 this is a tough spot. Your kids are at great ages, and I’m guessing you don’t want to miss things happening in their lives. But I’ve also learned that at those ages they don’t remember a lot of it when they’re older. That said, I know a lot of Dads that are “dew sweepers” that try to tee off as early as possible on weekends. With any luck at all you’re back before they’re moving for the day.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

As someone with kids that are 23 and 18, I say don’t stress about the golf. Hang with the kids. They grow up WAY too fast. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

First, accept that these won't be the prime golfing years of your life. Then, find ways to practice and play that don't interfere with your top priority (your family). I hit into a net in my garage on weekends and when the kids are asleep, and I mostly play 9 hole rounds early on weekend mornings before others are awakee or using extra time off from work. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

My biggest suggestion is just to communicate - My wife and I have a bit of a deal where I can play up to twice per week, but I also have to give her a break to do or manage the things she wants. 

For both partners it is important to have that free time - how we spend that time is up to us. I usually pick mine to go golfing. 

I am in a special situation where he work I do also requires me to spend time on the course and testing products so I do have an additional excuse, but I still work to give my wife a day off to do whatever she likes, even if that involves us coming with her. 

Talk about it, plan it and then build it into a routine for both. That is what has worked for us. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Got some great advice in here so far. I’ve got a 17 year old that will be a senior this year and it goes REALLY fast. I’ve always made her and my wife my priorities which has been awesome. Now I have quite a bit of free time on my hands so I can golf almost everyday (when the weather cooperates) or at least putt and chip at home.

My advice would be to do what you can at home like a to keep your swing feels, try for the early morning weekend rounds, and have as much fun hanging out with your kids as you can. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

It is tough and can often be a challenge but as @GolfSpy_APH says it’s down to communication and compromise. I’m lucky in that the Boss is very understanding and accommodating plus my youngest is 21 now which makes it easier

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2024 at 4:00 PM, Hacker60521 said:

@schmen082 this is a tough spot. Your kids are at great ages, and I’m guessing you don’t want to miss things happening in their lives. But I’ve also learned that at those ages they don’t remember a lot of it when they’re older. That said, I know a lot of Dads that are “dew sweepers” that try to tee off as early as possible on weekends. With any luck at all you’re back before they’re moving for the day.

This is my move, if I golf on the weekends it's typically early in the morning and I try to grab some doughnuts or something on my way back. It all comes down to balance. I just communicate with my wife to make sure I don't put any undue burden on her with my hobbies and she reciprocates. We are both usually happier when we get that individual time periodically. 

Driver:    :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver w/ fujikura ventus blue 6-series 
Fairway:   :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:       :mizuno-small:Pro 243 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120
Wedges: :Sub70: TAIII Forged Wedge Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball:  Pro Plus (white & drip)