Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Attending a PGA tour event

Knappbuilders

So I found out I am going to be able to go to the Barclays at Bethpage Black in a few weeks. I have never been to a tour event before. Any tips or thing I need to know from those here that have gone before? I decided to go on the Friday of the event.

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

Don't wear golf shoes, wear your most comfortable sneakers. I've always wondered why people wore golf shoes, with spikes, to tournaments. They're not going to ask you to step inside the ropes and fill in.

If you've got one day and one day only and have never been to the course, get there early and walk the course and see all of it. Don't try to see the course following a group.

Hit the practice range and watch the players warm up and hit shots. This is the closest you'll be able to get to a lot of them rather than chasing them around the course. You also get a much better view of shot shape and swing sequences, IMO, from where the spectator section is at the practice area.

I usually post up on a hole for a while in a location and watch several groups come through. At Augusta, I generally sit at 9 green after walking a few holes and skipping from group to group watching. Once the last group comes through 9, I make my way directly to 18 green as several will be making their closing hole by then and I can watch everyone come in.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I thought about making a thread about this but this one will do nicely. There are two choices at a PGA Event IMO.

Option one is to stake out a position on the course, perhaps several positions on the course and watch the players as they come through to see how the react to certain shots. You might pick a tee shot when they can bomb the ball, or the landing area where you can see the ball land and then their prep for the approach shot. or around the green to watch the chipping and putting. Be prepared, chipping and putting is not as fast as you see it on TV. And do not forget to go to a par 3 and watch the tee shots or of course landing.

Option two is to pick one player and follow them. Watch his prep, preshot, tee, approach ..... Watch everything he does for the whole round.

And then there is option three. Go early and do both. Plan your day. Hopefully, you are going on Thursday or Friday. The PGA does a pretty good job (it may be random luck) and it may be that there are so many good popular players now it works out that way, but you may have Phil, Luke, Rory in the morning and Tiger, Lee, Ernie in the afternoon. But find out your favorites tee times. Watch from one vantage point and then follow that player for a while. Perhaps do that for a few holes, then wait for some other player you want to watch etc....

I have been to several, most back in the last century but a few where I got to watch Tiger, which is the least favorite play to watch for a while because the crowd following him is huge. Or at least it was 1999 to 2004, but if he is there you absolutely must watch him for a few holes.

Back then, the internet was nothing like it is now. You had to check in the paper for tee times, and they may or may not be published. But now, you can plan your day. At first I spent a good portion of the time running around trying to find this player or that player but if you make a plan and write it down you will not be on the drive home thinking, "Dang it I did not see Rickie Fowler, or whom ever." I have never seen Rickie Fowler but I bet you can see him from 1000 yards a way. He probably glows in the dark in his yellow outfit.

Also, drink lots of water and not lots of beer. Savor the golf and party at your club.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

+1 to the not wearing golf shoes... I saw a lot of people do that and still wonder why...

We arrived before the first group had teed off, so we followed them for a few holes then walk backwards and you'll see the flights that are following from green to approach to tee shot.

Once the first group was on the 18th hole, we went straight to the 18th green to get a nice spot.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Yes, be prepared for the walking. It's so different from normal walking because you are walking more around each hole and walking up more hills to get out of the way of play. So you really have to pace yourself and if the course is designed where some of the holes are parallel to each other, you may want to stop at the middle of one hole and watch both holes without having to move. You will be shocked at how walking the entire course, only once, for a Tour event will leave your legs and feet sore in the morning.

It helps if you have played the course before because I find it gives a good reference as to how far these guys hit the ball. I would also spend some time on the range to get a better perspective of how they hit the ball. You would be surprised at how poorly some of these guys hit it on the range and then find a way to get it under par on the course.

Have fun.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Yes wear comfortable shoes! I wore my Trues to the Masters and they were perfect! We walked Augusta at least twice and each time was probably 3x a normal round of golf, some of our guys were about to keel over!

Find a place where you can just chill a bit and really watch the pros hit the ball, the range is great, or a place on the course where you can watch them hit iron shots into the green. Doing this was a transformational moment in my understanding of the golf swing that I have yet to fully realize but has made a huge impact. (See my "relaxed power" thread if you want more than you bargained for!). Have fun!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I would also use my golf app or a satellite view or something to get the layout of the course and plan you day. Like I said, the first time with so much going on you will miss more than you see so it is important to have some idea of who, what and where you want to see.

I would definately wear my golf shoes. But they are Ashworth Cardiffs, and I also wear them everywhere. I have barely worn any other shoe since I got them. But that type of shoe is the exception.

However, if you wear golf shoes with spikes be sure to wear your golf glove also, you do not want to leave any doubt in anyone's mind about you. :P

Wear golf shoes, a golf glove, and a beer hat, and yell Get in the hole. on every shot.

I hate to admit it, though I've never watched that movie...Seriously, is it worth getting?....I loved Caddy Shack..Is it better than that?....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

It's probably Adam Sandler's best movie. I still crack up when I see it on TV, especially Ben Stiller's character.

I hate to admit it, though I've never watched that movie...Seriously, is it worth getting?....I loved Caddy Shack..Is it better than that?....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

My favorite golf movie :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived