TESTERS WANTED! ×

PUMA Fall 2012 Collection

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Let it be known that I am a fan of the color orange. I wear an orange watch. My latest Byron putter sports an orange SuperStroke grip. Why I am even wearing an orange t-shirt from my brother's construction company as I type right now. No foolin'. Of course once we get orange into the context of golf, we naturally think of the Pumpkin Prince of Puma, Ricky Fowler. Personally, I think that Puma/Cobra has done a fantastic job of building the Fowler name. The fact that everyone associates the color orange with Ricky does nothing but build awareness of the Cobra/Puma name. When Cobra released the orange driver, you knew who it belonged to right away.

Speaking of the orange driver, I want one. I'm not kidding around here. I don't even know if my swing would mesh with it, but I don't care. I love the bold orange color and at least its warm glow would be there to console me during my blights of the high rights. Obviously, the color that draws me in will turn others away. And there is the risk that Puma takes with the bold styles that they are becoming known for; alienating the more conservatively-appareled golfer. The question then is if anyone find Puma gear to suit one's personal taste, or is it only for the bold?

The last batch of Puma gear that came my way (reviewed HERE) was definitely bold in design. Only in the fever dreams of Timothy Leary would the patterns of the polos blend into the golf environment. I was definitely curious to see if the 2012 Fall Puma gear would follow along in the same vein. What I found was a Puma that was able to innovate in design, while still keeping the colors and patterns within the palate of the broader golf population.

The Polos

2shirts.jpg

This time around, Puma sent in two polos for review. The blue one is from the Tech Golf line ($65) while the red (tomato) one is a Raglan Jacquard Golf polo ($75). So we are talking red and blue here. Not orange. No crazy stripes to be seen. And yet don't drop these two shirts in with the other common golf polos. They have a bit more going on when you look a little more closely at the fabric and cut.

The Raglan Jacquard polo looks pretty normal from the front, but not so from the back. What at first looks like just a decorative pattern up the spine is actually mesh. The ventilation is fantastic. Both of these synthetic fabric polos breathe quite well. Not all "plastic" polos can make this claim. Both of these polos have covered by back on 100°F rounds and were very comfortable. The panels and patterns on the shirts are also atypical. A quick look at the sleeves and you can see that they not only don't match each other, but they definitely are not cut the same way as other shirts on the market. They are very comfortable and non-restrictive during play. Sizing was also excellent. The shirts are plenty long enough to tuck in, or for you heathens out there to wear out. That's two country club demerits to you...

redshirtcut.jpg

redholes.jpg

blueshirtcut.jpg

The Jacket

jacket.jpg

The jacket is the 1/2 Zip Wind Jacket ($67.50 on sale right now). Did I mention that its been over 100 °F? In the spirit of testing, I did take the jacket to the range to hit balls one morning. Fit is excellent. Adjustable elastic pulls in the pockets really promote a good fit at the waist. It is also warm. In the fall when it cools off, I can see this being the goto garment for cool golf. Not for a while though. This was a bit too warm for summer play in my town. I felt like a wrestler who was trying to make weight. Maybe that's why it is part of the Fall Collection ;)

jacketback2.jpg

jacketdraw.jpg

Shorts

shorts.jpg

Never fret my bold styled friends. Puma has that POP you are looking for. The Ombre Plaid Golf Bermuda shorts ($75) have a great bold pattern. The pattern is almost hypnotic. Keep your eyes off my shorts during the swing, or you may be under my mesmeric power. They are very comfortable. The dryCELL moisture wicking works. I like these shorts a bunch. I did find that they were a little long on my short (31") legs. Had an inch taken off at the taylor, and they are perfect. Just a bit long for me, but YMMV...

shorts-2.jpg

shortsinside.jpg

Shoes

shoepair.jpg

The sweet kicks for the ladies this time comes in the form of the Cell Fusion III Pro Golf Shoes ($190). These black and red beauties are all business. The Cell Fusion 3 has one of the most aggressive cleat patterns that I have ever seen. There are the "traditional" Puma cleats, along with numerous spikes and protrusions molded into the base of the shoe. These cats have so much traction that the torque you generate during your swing actually alters the rotation of the Earth. Be careful with this new power. I am a bit concerned about the amount of debris that will get lodged in these once the leaves start coming off in a couple of months as there are quite a few grooves in the base. Nothing a tee can't take care of... Those of you with wide feet can also get these in a wide size. The standard ones were just a bit narrow in the toe box for me. This is something that I am sure that the wide version would take care of in terms of fit.

shoeback.jpg

cat.jpg

heelclose.jpg

shoebottom2.jpg

Conservative Puma?

With the possible exception of the shorts, the Fall 2012 Puma line contains golf clothes that even a "boring" golfer could wear. Fret not my bold buddies. If you look through the offerings online, you will see that there are also plenty of wild, eye catching designs there as well. I think that this bodes well for Puma Golf. We can all benefit from Puma's materials and designs, even if you want to avoid their "orange". Can you see yourself in Puma gear? I bet you can. Just keep your hands off of my orange driver! Precious orange driver. Ricky try take the precious...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've always like Puma's from the days I first played soccer (football) back in early '70's. I'm sure this was before 80% of the members here at MGS were born. To me the only two companies that existed were PUMA and ADIDAS. I've always liked to be a little different when it came to style and always wanted my equipment/clothing to be made of superior quality. I believe Puma has that quality and style. Puma have always been my favorites and I'm so glad they got into the golf arena and the younger guys/gals that are representing Puma look good wearing these styles. I was wearing Adidas golf shoes them moment I seen Bernhard Langer wearing his kicks back in 80's and now with Rickie Fowler and his presence has put Puma on the map in the golf fashion world. I like it! I only wish them success in a tough industry to succeed and have longevity. I have 3 main shoes i wear and each goes with certain outfits, but my main three are True Linkswear, Adidas, and Puma. All very comfortable and all have their own unique style!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I have tried on some Puma golf shoes and they feel amazing, think that next time I buy a set of golf shoes I am getting Puma. I have been in FJ for years and love the DryJoy but Puma feels just as good or better.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived