Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Goffin' in Colorado

GolfSpy Barbajo

Wanted to share some pix with you guys. Played two rounds during a "business" trip to Denver. First was at one of my favorite courses - Fossil Trace:

View of first hole - downhill dogleg par 5

IMG_1327.JPG

10th tee on left, 18th fairway on right, 17th tee in the middle, mountains in the background!

IMG_1328.JPG

10th green - par 4, green is a 304 yard carry from the blues. We all went for it, only one made it.

IMG_1329.JPG

View of 18th green from 10th tee.

IMG_1330.JPG

11th hole - neat little par 3. I landed in the bunker on the right. Easy double-bogey from there.

IMG_1334.JPG

View of 15th fairway from the 11th tee. Green is in a huge gully.

IMG_1335.JPG

Signature 12th hole - Par 5, cliffs on the left, severe dropoff to the 15th fairway on the right, and bigass rock formations in the middle of the fairway.

IMG_1336.JPG

Looking back at the 12th fairway. Gets kinda narrow.

IMG_1338.JPG

12th green. From here it was an easy double-bogey.

IMG_1339.JPG

This is why it's called Fossil Trace - big fossil dig between 12 and 13. Lots of non-golfers taking in the sights.

IMG_1341.JPG

13th hole - great elevation changes on this course. Most are downhill. Not sure how they pull that off! Birdied this sucker!

IMG_1342.JPG

Another look at 13 -- scenery was amazing!

IMG_1343.JPG

15th green - in the gulley. That's my ball, about 12 feet for birdie.

IMG_1345.JPG

18th green - great finishing hole, par 5. A good drive will tempt you to go for the green in two. I did not hit a good drive.

IMG_1346.JPG

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Second Round - at maybe the best Executive Course I've ever played -- Homestead at Fox Hollow. Par 65, less than 5,000 yards but demanding as heck! And for a muni - it was in amazing condition with some of the trickiest greens around. Lots of fun!

Course looks wide open, but get too far off the fairway in that brush is pretty sticky.

IMG_1352.JPG

Lots of elevation changes. 4th Tee- scramble partner Luke could hit the ball a mile. That bridge connects 16th green to 17th tee

IMG_1354.JPG

4th hole - dogleg left par 4. About 350 yard - luke left it on the fringe. Slacker...

IMG_1355.JPG

10th hole - Luke's brother Adam - not as long as Luke, but both made me feel my age.

IMG_1357.JPG

14th hole - not very long, but demanding -- stream cuts through the fairway at about 240 to 260 yards.

IMG_1358.JPG

Par 3 on the back 9 - highest point on the course. Not much room to bail. Long, right and left are trouble. Especially right.

IMG_1359.JPG

Denver skyline

IMG_1360.JPG

17th green - another par 3. Great golf hole! Elevated tee to elevated green. Long, left or right is trouble. Dropped mine 20 feet left of the pin. Not a straight putt to be found on the green, however.

IMG_1361.JPG

Another look at 17

IMG_1362.JPG

Two awesome, but very different courses. Was disappointed at first that we'd be playing a scramble on an Executive Course, but it was a really fun and demanding little track. And Fossil Trace is an experience!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow, that first course looks amazing and pretty reasonably priced. The tire tracks across the green in the second course make me cringe though. I was paired with a group a year or so ago that just didn't give a damn about the course and I actually had to tell them to not drive onto the green. Worst round of my life.

Fossil Trace is a good course but it is usually packed full and the rounds take forever. If you get lucky and get a day where not many people are playing then it is a great course.

You should check out Riverdale Dunes and Colorado National next time you are out there.

Or if you are down to pay for it play Arrowhead Golf Club down in Littleton.

Arrowhead1.jpg

Fossil Trace is a good course but it is usually packed full and the rounds take forever. If you get lucky and get a day where not many people are playing then it is a great course.

You should check out Riverdale Dunes and Colorado National next time you are out there.

Or if you are down to pay for it play Arrowhead Golf Club down in Littleton.

Arrowhead1.jpg

Been lucky enough to play Fossil Trace mid-week each time (3 rounds total) - haven't run into any pace of play issues. I'd guess it's different on weekends - lots of places where folks can waste a lot of time looking for lost balls. Haven't played the other tracks you're talking about. I did get to play a round at the course south of Denver owned by the guy who owns ReMax -- forget the name of it, but we were fortunate to get on. Pretty spectacular! Interested in CommonGround for the next trip out, too...

Played the Grand Lake golf course last summer -- had been about 15 years since I had last played it. Where did all the damn trees go????

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Guilty as charged. Feelin' the hate all the way here in MN! :rolleyes:

The course was magnificent - except for 2 things: the ReMax balloon shaped green (forget which hole) - tiered in a way that makes Augusta's greens look flat.

The other should make you feel better - strained a muscle in my wrist on the back nine - couldn't finish the round or play golf for the rest of the season. :(

But I'd go back there again in less than a heartbeat!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Helluva great business trip!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

My job doesn't suck....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Speaking of golfing in Colorado my dad was at a dinner with his new CEO at Castle Pines Country Club and you would never guess who sat at the table next to him.

Jack Nicklaus, his wife and kids. My dad was antsy and also made because he had to act professional around his CEO and couldn't go and ask for an autograph or anything. It wouldn't have been that bad since my dad's table and Jack's table were the only people there. So jealous of my dad.

Mercy! I would have babbled like an idiot!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived