Tiger Woods Interview on ESPN tonight

SPY ZINGER

NEW YORK – A person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that ESPN will air a one-on-one interview with Tiger Woods on Sunday night.

The interview with Tom Rinaldi is scheduled to be shown after 7 p.m. Eastern.

The person requested anonymity because details of the interview were supposed to remain confidential.

Next month, Woods will end more than four months of seclusion and play the Masters, shielded by the most secure environment in golf as he competes for the first time since a sex scandal shattered his image.

Posted Image

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sportscenter in on from 7:00-8:00, then there is an NBA game...

I'll be watching Sportscenter for sure...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

NIce that he labels his behavior "disgusting"

It was. It was good to see him talking again, how much he actually answers is yet to be seen, because all of the questions, in both interviews were very basic. Also, Tilman (sic?) said that Ari Fleisher is not with Tiger anymore.

I am not a psychologist, but there are a few things i take from this interview.

First, i think at this stage he may very well realize what he did(When he first released his apology....I basically laughed it off), "There were a lot of people that thought I was a different person and my actions were not according to that. That's why I had to apologize. I was so sorry for what I had done.". Time will only tell I suppose, but for his sake, the marriages sake, and the kids sake i really hope he continues this. When one is recovering it is easy to find reasons for why they did it and even easier to build the self justification to do it again. There will be a lot of long nights in the hotel room without Elin. I hope he can commit to the changes. It is easy for a person trying to make a change to go right back to their ways.

EDIT as i forgot to add this...i did hear him say he loved Elin..shouldnt that be love Elin?

he admits he was "living a lie". Well Tiger, we all know you were a liar. Here is to you coming clean.

Sadly, i dont have much faith in him, and i think this might be just another PR stunt.

So prove everyone wrong Tiger...the ball is in your court.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

So that was a lost less than I expected... 5 minutes... really???

I was actually hoping that some of the questions would be about golf, but none were... Oh well... we'll see in a couple weeks...

Here is the official Transcript...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5016386

ESPN's Tom Rinaldi interviewed Tiger Woods on Sunday in Windermere, Fla. The interview was the first one granted by the world's No. 1-ranked golfer since his Nov. 27 car accident outside his home. The following is a transcript of that interview.

Rinaldi: What's the difference between the man who left Augusta national a year ago and the one who is about to return?

Woods: A lot has transpired in my life. A lot of ugly things have happened. Things that.....I've done some pretty bad things in my life. And uh, all came to a head. But now, after treatment, going for inpatient treatment for 45 days and more outpatient treatment, I'm getting back to my old roots.

Rinaldi: For a lot of people, the spark of those bad things is Nov. 27. Early that day, what happened?

Woods: Well, it's all in the police report. Beyond that, everything's between Elin and myself and that's private.

Rinaldi: Why did you lose control of the car?

Woods: As I said ... that's between Elin and myself.

Rinaldi: If it's a private matter, why issue a public apology?

Woods: Well, I owe a lot of people an apology. I hurt a lot of people. Not just my wife. My friends, my colleagues, the public, kids who looked up to me. There were a lot of people that thought I was a different person and my actions were not according to that. That's why I had to apologize. I was so sorry for what I had done.

Rinaldi: You've said you've made transgressions. How would you, in your own words, describe the depth of your infidelity?

Woods: Well, just one is, is enough. And obviously that wasn't the case, and I've made my mistakes. And as I've said, I've hurt so many people, and so many people I have to make an amends to, and that's living a life of amends.

Rinaldi: You said you were in treatment. The simple question is, for what?

Woods: That's a private matter as well. But I can tell you what, it was tough, it was really tough to look at yourself in a light that you never want to look at yourself, that's pretty brutal.

Rinaldi: What'd you see?

Woods: I saw a person that I never thought I would ever become.

Rinaldi: Who was that?

Woods: Well, I had gotten away from my core values as I said earlier. I'd gotten away from my Buddhism. And I quit meditating. I quit doing all the things that my mom and dad had taught me. And as I said earlier in my statement, I felt entitled, and that is not how I was raised.

Rinaldi: Why not seek treatment before all of this came out?

Woods: Well, I didn't know I was that bad. I didn't know that I was that bad.

Rinaldi: How did you learn that? How did you learn it?

Woods: Stripping away denial, rationalization. You strip all that away and you find the truth.

Rinaldi: How do you reconcile your behavior with your view of marriage?

Woods: That's living a life of amends and that's just working at it each and every day.

Rinaldi: Given all that's happened, what's your measure of success at Augusta?

Woods: Well, playing is one thing. I'm excited to get back and play. I'm excited to get to see the guys again. I really miss a lot of my friends out there. I miss competing. But still, I still have a lot more treatment to do, and just because I'm playing, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop going to treatment.

Rinaldi: What reception are you expecting from fans?

Woods: I don't know. I don't know. I'm a little nervous about that to be honest with you.

Rinaldi: How much do you care?

Woods: It would be nice to hear a couple claps here and there. But also hope they clap for birdies, too.

Rinaldi: Eleven months ago, here at Isleworth, I asked you, 'How well does the world know you?' What's your answer to that now?

Woods: A lot better now. I was living a life of a lie. I really was. And I was doing a lot of things, like I said, that hurt a lot of people. And stripping away denial and rationalization you start coming to the truth of who you really are and that can be very ugly. But then again, when you face it and you start conquering it and you start living up to it. The strength that I feel now, I've never felt that type of strength.

Rinaldi: In the last four months, Tiger, what's been the low point?

Woods: I've had a lot of low points. Just when I didn't think it could get any lower, it got lower.

Rinaldi: An example?

Woods: When I was in treatment, out of treatment, before I went in, there were so many different low points. People I had to talk and face like my wife, like my mom.

Rinaldi: What was that moment like, either one?

Woods: They both have been brutal. They've both been very tough. Because I hurt them the most. Those are the two people in my life who I'm closest to and to say the things that I've done, truthfully to them, is ... honestly ... was ... very painful.

Rinaldi: What was your wife's reaction when you sat down and had that first conversation?

Woods: She was hurt, she was hurt. Very hurt. Shocked. Angry. And, you know, she had every right to be and I'm as disappointed as everyone else in my own behavior because I can't believe I actually did that to the people I loved.

Rinaldi: I ask this question respectfully, but of course at a distance from your family life. When you look at it now, why did you get married?

Woods: Why? Because I loved her. I loved Elin with everything I have. And that's something that makes me feel even worse, that I did this to someone I loved that much.

Rinaldi: How do you reconcile what you've done with that love?

Woods: We work at it.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

EDIT as i forgot to add this...i did hear him say he loved Elin..shouldnt that be love Elin?

The question was asked in the past tense, so the answer was given in the past tense. It probably wouldn't have killed him to add in "and I still do" though.

and the Golf Channel Interview...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/-13811/?ref=26000

Pretty much more of the same...

"That's private"

he did say though that it was all him and none of his inner circle knew anything

I did like that they asked what his Dad would think... from what was out there that was a great relationship, and it hit him hard when he died...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

and the Golf Channel Interview...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/-13811/?ref=26000

Pretty much more of the same...

"That's private"

he did say though that it was all him and none of his inner circle knew anything

I did like that they asked what his Dad would think... from what was out there that was a great relationship, and it hit him hard when he died...

The lights are dimming at the hosting service for TGC's website. It's taking forever for the video to load. Sigh. B)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Rinaldi: For a lot of people, the spark of those bad things is Nov. 27. Early that day, what happened?

Woods: Well, it's all in the police report. Beyond that, everything's between Elin and myself and that's private.

Rinaldi: Why did you lose control of the car?

Woods: As I said ... that's between Elin and myself.

--------------------------------

Well Tiger, it's obviously not in the police report or dude wouldn't be asking the question. People don't crash SUV's into trees in their own neighborhood for no reason. B)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

This was a pretty bold question...

Rinaldi: I ask this question respectfully, but of course at a distance from your family life. When you look at it now, why did you get married?

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Responding to the crash question...

Elin was trying to give him the 21st degree. B)

If there are no charges with the police, then I think that keeping it between them is fine. Not our business. Very curious, but not uor business

Volvo Intorqueo

This was a pretty bold question...

It was bold but he had to ask it. It's the question the public has been asking over and over again since this whole thing broke wide open.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

It was bold but he had to ask it. It's the question the public has been asking over and over again since this whole thing broke wide open.

I don't think his answer will quiet many folk though. It doesn't address the him being a slut issue. The questions should be more like if you were already sleeping with 20 women in 20 different cities, how did you possibly think that you could be faithful to one?

Volvo Intorqueo

I don't think his answer will quiet many folk though. It doesn't address the him being a slut issue. The questions should be more like if you were already sleeping with 20 women in 20 different cities, how did you possibly think that you could be faithful to one?

No, it won't because his answer doesn't make sense. You don't do something like that to someone you like, never mind someone you love.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

That would have been a much better question.

I've just watched both interviews and primarily I'm upset that ESPN played the interview in its entirety twice, thus taking time away from much more deserving Duke highlights. Clearly, Tiger scheduled this interview because he has a grudge with Duke and wanted to take viewership away from their highlights.

Both interviews were essentially the same from what I saw. I would guess that if you didn't buy the scripted apology, you probably don't have a lot of use for this interview either, but if you were ok with the apology, this was fine too. I'm in the latter camp, I just want to watch the best golfer in the world hit great shots.

It was suggested in another thread that he needs to do a press conference before Augusta to get the marriage/cheating questions out of the way: does this fill that requirement or do you expect that he's still going to get a lot of questions about that at Augusta?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Clearly, Tiger scheduled this interview because he has a grudge with Duke and wanted to take viewership away from their highlights.

Wasn't Tiger a Stanford guy? When I lived on the left coast, we really didn't watch too many Duke games other than highlights after the fact on the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Wasn't Tiger a Stanford guy? When I lived on the left coast, we really didn't watch too many Duke games other than highlights after the fact on the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

Yes, he's a Stanford guy. I was just being funny with the Duke thing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Both interviews were essentially the same from what I saw. I would guess that if you didn't buy the scripted apology, you probably don't have a lot of use for this interview either, but if you were ok with the apology, this was fine too. I'm in the latter camp, I just want to watch the best golfer in the world hit great shots.

In full agreement. When I watched the two interviews replay back to back, I thought I was watching the same one, except the GC interview kept panning to KT. I've read both supportive and negative reactions to his interviews today. Personally, I think he's trying in his own careful way to make amends, but then again, I've always subscribed to the approach of over-forgiveness, if there is such a thing. On a professional level - for Tiger, not me - I'm hoping he makes a quick comeback to competitive golf. Regardless of whether you're a fan of his nor not, you'd have to agree that he usually succeeds in making a tournament more interesting.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

• SPY VIP

I think that anyone who expects Tiger to be totally candid about his situation at this point may be delusional. Damage control for his billion dollar branding will have to be very carefully orchestrated. Even if he as a press conference before Augusta, it will be very stiff and for the most part lacking in new information.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I wonder if there will ever be a 'Tiger tells all' book in the years to come?....

I seriously doubt it. At least an authorized version. He still has way too many playing years ahead and doesn't need the money at this point.

Maybe if they split and he loses half, then he may think about a book.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Pretty sure he'd be alright even if he lost more than that!

Wonder who will be the first one of Tiger's lady friends to make a book deal...

While I find the use of "lady" interesting, someone better be quick if they are going to write it. Only the first one will see the big sales. IMO

Volvo Intorqueo

While I find the use of "lady" interesting, someone better be quick if they are going to write it. Only the first one will see the big sales. IMO

Who knows, maybe they're all getting together with eachother and writing a 'group' book :(

Archived