SeeRed

Anyone else shocked by this?

Our Sponsors

Good points. The key distinction is that unlike WRX, we don't take in hundreds of thousands of dollars (and yes...you can be certain it's a healthy 6 figure number) in big OEM advertising to subsidize our donation program. WRX has their model, and more power to them, but seriously...from my perspective it's difficult to justify asking for donations when the OEMs provide you everything you need to make a comfy living and then some.

Whether you call it maximizing your revenues, or double-dipping, is a matter of perspective, I suppose...even if you sell at as a Membership.

I can tell you I've seen pics from Richard's basement and it's insane(his iron rack alone has like 45 sets). And he's not even the principle owner of WRX. Not sure if they're testing pieces or gifts or what have you, but it's sick. And I don't know how many paid staff members they have, nor do I care to speculate. It has no place here to discuss what happens there, IMO.

You guys have a much different model. It's against the grain, and contrary to getting rich. But it's a model based on principles, where one scrapes by financially and doesn't compromise their integrity(not to imply you're scraping by literally, but you're far from where you could be if you compromised your and the site's core values, IMO). That's, again, commendable and something that I'm willing to bet 99% of people wouldn't do. It's appreciated from this guy's place behind his monitor.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

So...

Maybe what we need is to create a mobile app for MSG that hooks into the social aspects of MSG (the news, forums and comments), adds a mobile shoutbox to the app (and site) and finally, also works as a shot tracker/gps, and potentially even uses the devices camera to vidoe swing and ball flight for analysis. Using these things to allow for user contributed 'social reviews' of equipment, balls and even courses.

Now we have a platform of content (and geo/demographic data for targetted advertising) that advertisers drool over, and then MSG could demand much more equitable terms to advertisers.

You see, therein lies the crux of the advertising money situation.

Right now, the golf sites can offer very little in the way of demographic analytics to advertisers, and so the ads have much less 'value'. The OEMs have something that the site wants (money), the site has what the OEM wants, but without demographic or geographic data of the eyeballs, it is a low value advertisement. In that arrangement, the OEM has all the leverage.

Until the site has something more than the eyeballs of ### golfers they have nothing to flip the leverage position.

In some ways, the onus falls to the community to support the things that need to happen, simply because of the money to grow / growing needs money vicious circle.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

So...

Maybe what we need is to create a mobile app for MSG that hooks into the social aspects of MSG (the news, forums and comments), adds a mobile shoutbox to the app (and site) and finally, also works as a shot tracker/gps, and potentially even uses the devices camera to vidoe swing and ball flight for analysis. Using these things to allow for user contributed 'social reviews' of equipment, balls and even courses.

Now we have a platform of content (and geo/demographic data for targetted advertising) that advertisers drool over, and then MSG could demand much more equitable terms to advertisers.

You see, therein lies the crux of the advertising money situation.

Right now, the golf sites can offer very little in the way of demographic analytics to advertisers, and so the ads have much less 'value'. The OEMs have something that the site wants (money), the site has what the OEM wants, but without demographic or geographic data of the eyeballs, it is a low value advertisement. In that arrangement, the OEM has all the leverage.

Until the site has something more than the eyeballs of ### golfers they have nothing to flip the leverage position.

In some ways, the onus falls to the community to support the things that need to happen, simply because of the money to grow / growing needs money vicious circle.

There's already a mobile app one can use, the board software's app. Developing an independent app would be time consuming and costly is my guess because they'd likely have to write their own message board software, port all the posts over, etc. that stuff is over my head, but it couldn't be quick or cheap in my estimation.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

There's already a mobile app one can use, the board software's app. Developing an independent app would be time consuming and costly is my guess because they'd likely have to write their own message board software, port all the posts over, etc. that stuff is over my head, but it couldn't be quick or cheap in my estimation.

I guess I should have forwarded this with "I write software for a living, and have done so for 30 years, owning my own company that writes software as a business".

:)

Yes, some of the above was tongue in cheek, however, the point is, that MGS is working to not take big OEM $$$'s that own their souls for that money. In order to flip the economics, they have to do something outside the box, and Tapatalk is not that :). I've been batting around technology ideas to tackle the problems as an outsider.

They aren't easy problems to, but it's a fun mental game to look at business models and markets and work out ways to flip the current value propositions in favor of the agile small businesses.

WITB
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

Yeah, I am basically an IT geek of the worst kind. I have been programming since I was 8.. Started my first company when I was 14. I own one company outright, am president and 33% owner of another, and minority owner in a third. I was an accounting major with a minor in business. I ran a restaurant t kitchen to put myself through school. My first Internet business was in 1994.

These days my job is to learn your business better than you know it, so that I can provide you with the solutions you need, not the ones you ask me for. Over the years I have done cli nical medical records, legal case management, accounting, inventory management, manufacturing, distribution, sales relationship management, and of course Internet web businesses.

I have always focused on the small business, and the common thread is always the core principal, of do it leanrer and better than the next guy.

Funding a business through advertising is hard, but possible. I the p sat it was about knowing your advertisers. Today, it is about knowing your customers. (users) and knowing how much of that information you have to sha to advertisers to maximize the money they want to give you for it. The entire premise of googles Adsense is that through cookies tracking and analytics, google knows who you are, what you like, where you live, and has probablilty on your ethnicity, probable income, buying habits, and even lifestyle. This gives them an enormous amount of power when approaching aadvertisers.

We can place your ad in for nt of xxx number of eyeballs of people who play 3-10 RP unds of golf per month with an average income of 80k or more, who I've in 9 month golf season regions. These people have strong online buying habits, and are best targeted with ads of a certain nature, based upon prior click through history.

That is a pow earful selling tool that flips the value from the advertiser to the site operators.

WITB
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X