TESTERS WANTED! ×

Face Balanced vs Toe Hang Putters

RoverRick

Some basic facts. Toe hang (TH) putters promote a more rounded or slight arc in the putting stroke (AP). Face balanced (FB) putters are for the straight back and straight through (SBST).

I am a good putter, I practice it a lot. I am a SBST putter and game four different putters that are all FB putters. However, for some reason I always but the greatest with my Odyssey Mid White Hot Belly putter. For years I had this cut down and this was my primary putter but I extended it last fall to make it a belly putter again because of back issues. I have always putted best with this putter, but have recently gotten a two ball putter and a couple of Scotties that I wanted to be great with. Sadly, I am just good with them.

So Monday, Micheal Breed is talking about these different putters, the FB vs TH. And demonstrates how to check the putters to see if the are FB or TH. I am a smart ass to him, which he did not care since he was on TV and I grabbed my Odyssey to demonstrate and prove my point to him. And I was shocked.

It is a toe hang putter. All my others are face balanced, but the one I putt best with is not. So today, I was talking with a buddy who has a TMag Rosie Siena4 putter, and demonstrated this to him, but I had my Cameron Squareback. We switched putter, and I absolutely could not miss with his putter.

So much for me being a SBST putter. I was really relaxed using his and it was like the line glowed. He putted pretty well with my Scottie, but I am obviously about to sell the Squareback and the 2 Ball putters and get some other type, probably not a TMag.

To test this out to see if your putter is a toe hang or face balanced is so simple. Find the balance point of the putter and balance it on your finger. If it is a face balanced putter the face will point straight up. If it is a toe hang putter the toe will hang down. Simple. the more the toe hangs down the more arc this promotes in your stroke.

This is not new to me but I assumed that the Odyssey was a face balanced putter like all the others. I knew they were, and the Odyssey looked balanced but it is not.

Also, this week knowing that this was not a SBST putter I went out and concentrated on just the line and let any arc in the stroke happen. I have putted great, and scored my lowest round ever, even though it was just 9 holes. I have not struck the ball well the last two days, back issues again, but on the greens has been awesome.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Some basic facts. Toe hang (TH) putters promote a more rounded or slight arc in the putting stroke (AP). Face balanced (FB) putters are for the straight back and straight through (SBST).

I am a good putter, I practice it a lot. I am a SBST putter and game four different putters that are all FB putters. However, for some reason I always but the greatest with my Odyssey Mid White Hot Belly putter. For years I had this cut down and this was my primary putter but I extended it last fall to make it a belly putter again because of back issues. I have always putted best with this putter, but have recently gotten a two ball putter and a couple of Scotties that I wanted to be great with. Sadly, I am just good with them.

So Monday, Micheal Breed is talking about these different putters, the FB vs TH. And demonstrates how to check the putters to see if the are FB or TH. I am a smart ass to him, which he did not care since he was on TV and I grabbed my Odyssey to demonstrate and prove my point to him. And I was shocked.

It is a toe hang putter. All my others are face balanced, but the one I putt best with is not. So today, I was talking with a buddy who has a TMag Rosie Siena4 putter, and demonstrated this to him, but I had my Cameron Squareback. We switched putter, and I absolutely could not miss with his putter.

So much for me being a SBST putter. I was really relaxed using his and it was like the line glowed. He putted pretty well with my Scottie, but I am obviously about to sell the Squareback and the 2 Ball putters and get some other type, probably not a TMag.

To test this out to see if your putter is a toe hang or face balanced is so simple. Find the balance point of the putter and balance it on your finger. If it is a face balanced putter the face will point straight up. If it is a toe hang putter the toe will hang down. Simple. the more the toe hangs down the more arc this promotes in your stroke.

This is not new to me but I assumed that the Odyssey was a face balanced putter like all the others. I knew they were, and the Odyssey looked balanced but it is not.

Also, this week knowing that this was not a SBST putter I went out and concentrated on just the line and let any arc in the stroke happen. I have putted great, and scored my lowest round ever, even though it was just 9 holes. I have not struck the ball well the last two days, back issues again, but on the greens has been awesome.

I like putting in my basement carpet and often use a laser level device to make a straight line so I can hit the ball down it. The line also makes it pretty obvious that I have a slight arc in my stroke, which the PING app confirmed.

If you're in the market for a new putter, use the Ping app to see how much toe hang you really want. Putters run all over the place, some perfect FB, others perfectly TB, but there are plenty in between, and each mid hang is different.

I went to the golf store a few weeks ago and putted with 20 different ones but most were face balanced because that is what I thought I needed. I putted great with all of them, and honestly Monday through Thursday I putt great with all of my putters but for some reason during my competitive rounds on Friday, Saturday,and Sunday I putted with the Odyssey Mid best. Well, now I know why. I missed entirely too many makeable putts on the weekend, which keeps my handicap high.

So at some point I will have to redo my putter stock, but since I have one I wll sell these others first.

I went to the golf store a few weeks ago and putted with 20 different ones but most were face balanced because that is what I thought I needed. I putted great with all of them, and honestly Monday through Thursday I putt great with all of my putters but for some reason during my competitive rounds on Friday, Saturday,and Sunday I putted with the Odyssey Mid best. Well, now I know why. I missed entirely too many makeable putts on the weekend, which keeps my handicap high.

So at some point I will have to redo my putter stock, but since I have one I wll sell these others first.

I went through the same thing and spent hours comparing putters over several visits. On the nice flat surface, I could sink everything with a mid hang. I was noticeably worse with FB and especial ly TB putters.

Once you know what degree if hang you want, it gets down to personally preference, which for me is mallet.

Well, I think I have made a point once before that I'm not positive I know anyone that has a literal SBST stroke. For most people that is a perception of what they see visually or what they feel that they are doing. Here is a interesting video illustrating that concept.

What really amazes me is that the putter is the most used club in the bag and people play with one blindly and don't understand what truly works for them. I'll recommend Bruce (Burnt Edges Consulting) again because I really feel he knows his stuff when it comes to putting and even the full swing. Here are a few blog posts that he has made that I enjoy reading.

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/better-putting.html

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/02/illusions-of-putting.html

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2011/06/putting-fundamentals.html

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/guide-to-understanding-your-golf-swing.html

I wounder if there has been an experiment done on PuttLab, if anyone knows it would be Bruce. if a FB putter and a TH putter had the same weight, same length, same shaft intersection with the head. Does one have more physical arc then the other? I have a feeling blind folded they come out exactly the same or very close. I know that a Mallet and a Blade have no effect on the amount of arc in the above situation I can't say 100% for sure if the same holds true for FB versus TH putters.

What impresses me the most is how the putter is the most used club in the bag, but no one takes the time or spends the extra money in actually getting one professionally fit and having convection with their stroke not to change it.

"Long term success in golf means having enough confidence in your method to not change everything when things get tough." ~ Bruce Rearick

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

You know getting fit sounds, SOUNDS, wonderful, but I wonder short of going to Hank Haney, Dave Pelz, or Burnt Edges Where could one go? I am sure I could get the same quality job done with a putter that I had done with a shafts for the full swing. I type this as I wait for the epoxy to dry in my XFLEX Talamonti /Callaway Razr Fit adaptor. These same people who told me to get R Flex shaft are going to fit me properly for a putter? The Ping app sounds like much better option than Biff at the Golf store, who has to look up how to spell Cameron.

You know getting fit sounds, SOUNDS, wonderful, but I wonder short of going to Hank Haney, Dave Pelz, or Burnt Edges Where could one go? I am sure I could get the same quality job done with a putter that I had done with a shafts for the full swing. I type this as I wait for the epoxy to dry in my XFLEX Talamonti /Callaway Razr Fit adaptor. These same people who told me to get R Flex shaft are going to fit me properly for a putter? The Ping app sounds like much better option than Biff at the Golf store, who has to look up how to spell Cameron.

Edel golf has two certified fitters in North Texas, and I have read multiple great reviews of their process although I have heard it is expensive.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

Edel golf has two certified fitters in North Texas, and I have read multiple great reviews of their process although I have heard it is expensive.

A Zenio putter fitting will run $100. There're other systems too, but none of cheap. No idea how much of a difference there is between getting fit with the Ping app vs Zenio.

Theres no such thing a SBST. You cant swing something around a fixed point without there being some kind of an arc. IMO, the notion of SBST is one of the biggest fallacies in golf.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

You might be surprised, Golf Smith near me offers a full putter fitting if you wanted to do it in Raleigh NC, they looked fully equipped with video cameras and other stuff to give a putter fitting their.

I am sure that if you find an experienced fitter for the full swing they can at least get you into the right length and lie angle for the putter skipping the style.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

You might be surprised, Golf Smith near me offers a full putter fitting if you wanted to do it in Raleigh NC, they looked fully equipped with video cameras and other stuff to give a putter fitting their.

Really?!?! Not doubting you at all, just shocked, because the one by me has the Mitchell putter fitting tool and that's it. Surprised to hear that they're investing in putter fitting.

Rick: PLEASE, email Bruce. If you aren't impressed, your next 6 pack/bottle/whatever you drink is on me. I mean it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

As JM & Gaijin accurately stated, there is really no such thing as a LITERAL SBST stroke, however in my mind, and my mental picture of my stroke is that of a SBST stroke....This being said, though I have dabbled with FB putters, I have always gone back to, ans putted the best with, an Anser style putter and a heel shafted putter....Obviously, the Anser style putter can be designed for any typr stroke depending on the neck design...In fact my curren tputter is the Nike Mthod 004, which is a FB blade which I had converted from a 35" putter to a 42" belly....

To have a fairly SBST stroke and use a heel shafted putter, one would have to employ what Pelz referrs to as a "force hold," a physical "lock" if you will, to keep the putter squre through the stroke instead of allowing it to "roll" as is it's natural inclination...This is usually done with the hands, wrists or forearms, or usually a combination there of....

Some of my best putting was with the WS 8802 & later the Scotty Napa '06 LE...Go figure....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Same here. I read all about mallet putters and how high their MOI is and how forgiving then are on misshits but I cant putt with them. For me, putting is all about feel and those big putters just have no feel. I tend to smash all my putts way past the hole.

My putting stroke has a fairly strong arc, so I need a putter that wants to close the face throughout the stroke. For that reason, I feel that I need an Anser-style or some kind of a heel-shafted putter. With a mallet I tend to lose everything to the right because I cant seem to close the face.

Last summer I was using a Cleveland Classic 2 and really liked it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Really?!?! Not doubting you at all, just shocked, because the one by me has the Mitchell putter fitting tool and that's it. Surprised to hear that they're investing in putter fitting.

Rick: PLEASE, email Bruce. If you aren't impressed, your next 6 pack/bottle/whatever you drink is on me. I mean it.

Id be surprised if they know what theyre doing though. If theyre anything like the guys who work at the Golfsmith here, they just sell the stuff but dont know much about it.

Well, I think I have made a point once before that I'm not positive I know anyone that has a literal SBST stroke. For most people that is a perception of what they see visually or what they feel that they are doing. Here is a interesting video illustrating that concept.

What really amazes me is that the putter is the most used club in the bag and people play with one blindly and don't understand what truly works for them. I'll recommend Bruce (Burnt Edges Consulting) again because I really feel he knows his stuff when it comes to putting and even the full swing. Here are a few blog posts that he has made that I enjoy reading.

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/better-putting.html

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/02/illusions-of-putting.html

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2011/06/putting-fundamentals.html

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/guide-to-understanding-your-golf-swing.html

I wounder if there has been an experiment done on PuttLab, if anyone knows it would be Bruce. if a FB putter and a TH putter had the same weight, same length, same shaft intersection with the head. Does one have more physical arc then the other? I have a feeling blind folded they come out exactly the same or very close. I know that a Mallet and a Blade have no effect on the amount of arc in the above situation I can't say 100% for sure if the same holds true for FB versus TH putters.

What impresses me the most is how the putter is the most used club in the bag, but no one takes the time or spends the extra money in actually getting one professionally fit and having convection with their stroke not to change it.

"Long term success in golf means having enough confidence in your method to not change everything when things get tough." ~ Bruce Rearick

Theres quite a few good videos on Youtube that shows SBST is a myth. Now, I could see the FACE of the putter being straight back and straight through in relation to the target but the path is never going to be SBST. Even keeping the face SBST, you have to make some kind of mainipulation by closing the face on the way back and then holding it open on the way through to counteract the natural tendency for the face to open going back and then close coming through.

Today was not a good tee to green day, with just 3 GIR's but I putted the lights out of it with about 24 putts. I decided to not think about the stroke, or even what the ball was going to do too much. Just use the instinct putting and focus on the hole. I had 7 one putt pars on the front. Shot a 75. My chipping was good also but my putting was awesome. I had a 12 footer that I asked if that was gimme range, and they said it was in my gimme range, but putt it out just to be fair. I put it dead center of the cup.

I have the Ping phone app but have not used it on the putter yet. It is not that I do not have a putter I was putting well with it is more that the putters I was using and wanted to like based on what suited my eye were not what is best for my stroke. So I will sell the ones I have and then get to go putter shopping again. I can hardly wait.:D I will check out Bruce at Burnt Edges.

I took two clips that are supposed to clip on the top of your golf bag and hold you clubs to keep them from rattling and getting bag chatter, and they work, as long as you do not plan on using those clubs on the course and then they become a pain in the a$$. But I took two of these, heated them slightly and bent them to hold my iPhone and hooked my iPhone to my putter and played around with the Ping putter app.

It is very interesting what it comes up with, and just like the full swing, what you do is not what you think you do. Oddly enough, it recommended the same design as the TMag putter I used yesterday. According to this app I have about an 8* arc in my putter swing which is a classified as a strong arc. Dang, I had no idea. Pretty neat app, and awesome marketing by Ping. It recommends which Ping putter would be right for you. You can use it in practice to develop consistancy and better tempo. Really kind of cool.

I have seen the brackets at the golf store to mount your phone on the putter but they seemed expensive. I guess it is no more expensive than what one guy who could not putt lost to me today so if you have problems it might be a pretty cheap fix.

Seriously RR, is that Ping App worth getting?.......

Since the Ping App is free the answer is yes. However, you do have to put it on your putter. The deal I have works great. But it is only $20 to $25 so if you are having trouble making a consistant stroke that it may be worth it. Even with buying the bracket it may be worth it.

I took it early this morning and attached it to my putter and put it in practice mode and played with it for a while. I liked it because it told you how consistant you were on the stroke. It also told you if you were manipulating the putter in the stroke. I only had about 10 minutes to play with this on an actual green but there was a lot to the app I have not looked at.

Of course, brilliant marketing is included because it tells you which Ping putter is best for your stroke, but what is wrong with that.

I hit strokes from 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 feet. I found out that I have the same tempo of all of these putts 1.8 seconds. 90% of my putts were 1.8 seconds. I did have a couple that were 1.6 seconds and a couple that were 2.1 seconds. These putts came up way short and way long. All in all I found out that I was very consistant on my putting. I already knew this but I also had no idea that I had that much arc in my putting.

All in all, I really like this so far. I may do a full review later in the week but right now I have not spent enough time with it.

Seriously RR, is that Ping App worth getting?.......

Its worth it because it allows you to see the exact flaws in your stroke and compare yourself to the stroke of Ping tour players.

The iPing app was the only reason I got an iPhone!

• 4 years later...

I was chosen for the Bettinardi Queen B 9 testing and went to get fit yesterday.   The guy who was watching my stroke said I would be better suited for a face balanced putter. I thought this odd because I never feel like I have a straight back & straight through type stroke.  In fact I rolled the B9 exceptionally well on the carpet so I'm a bit confused about the two options.  My current gamer is an Odyssey works #7 putter which I have no clue whether it's a toe hang or face balanced type. I have been putting well since picking the #7 up. It will definitely be an interesting test for me to review a toe hang style putter.   Looking forward to the challenge!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I was chosen for the Bettinardi Queen B 9 testing and went to get fit yesterday. The guy who was watching my stroke said I would be better suited for a face balanced putter. I thought this odd because I never feel like I have a straight back & straight through type stroke. In fact I rolled the B9 exceptionally well on the carpet so I'm a bit confused about the two options. My current gamer is an Odyssey works #7 putter which I have no clue whether it's a toe hang or face balanced type. I have been putting well since picking the #7 up. It will definitely be an interesting test for me to review a toe hang style putter. Looking forward to the challenge!

The 7 is face balanced

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The 7 is face balanced

Your Odyssey #7 is face balanced

Thanks guys .   The fitter asked me what I was gaming now and I told him the #7.  He said he was a certified Odyssey fitter so I'm wondering if he got the face balance thought after he asked me how I was rolling the #7 or could he tell by my back & through stroke? 

Cleveland

I was chosen for the Bettinardi Queen B 9 testing and went to get fit yesterday.   The guy who was watching my stroke said I would be better suited for a face balanced putter. I thought this odd because I never feel like I have a straight back & straight through type stroke.  In fact I rolled the B9 exceptionally well on the carpet so I'm a bit confused about the two options.  My current gamer is an Odyssey works #7 putter which I have no clue whether it's a toe hang or face balanced type. I have been putting well since picking the #7 up. It will definitely be an interesting test for me to review a toe hang style putter.   Looking forward to the challenge!

#7 putters are a face balanced model

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I think the concept of SBST is a misnomer and not possible without manipulation because we stand to the side of the target line with a putter that has a shaft that isn't vertical.    The amount of toe hang is really more about rotation of the putter that is necessary to get the putter back to the right position at impact.  

Looking forward to your review of the putter. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think the concept of SBST is a misnomer and not possible without manipulation because we stand to the side of the target line with a putter that has a shaft that isn't vertical. The amount of toe hang is really more about rotation of the putter that is necessary to get the putter back to the right position at impact.

Looking forward to your review of the putter.

Thanks buddy and your thoughts make sense, I think

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

Thanks buddy and your thoughts make sense, I think

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Try not to think.....just put a good roll on the ball.   :D

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Balance the shaft on your finger if the face stays straight (perpendicular to the floor) it is face balanced, if the toe hangs to the floor it is toe hang.

With facebalanced putters the actual putter wants to stay straight when used, you dont have to manipulate it, it doesn't want to arc or it doesn't need to arc. With a toe hang putter the putter itself want to arc, therefore, it needs to arc in order to use it properly. The fitting guy was probably looking at the stroke you made, and saw that you probably had no arc in your stroke, therefore recommended a SBST type putter. These are my thoughts on these types of putters anyway.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived