Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn... I guess looking at it now, that doesn't sound good does it??? :(

It's even funnier if you didn't write that intentionally!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I hate when courses don't at least have water every 3 or 4 holes. My course had to get rid of ours because of a health issue. Other courses are too cheap to do it. It sucks when it's 100 out.

+1 to this. There is only one course in my area that I know of that provides water on the course.

STX xForm 3, 35"

I haven't encountered a serious sand bagger in a long while because my league doesn't tolerate it, the group I play with when I play on Fridays is controlled by the Pro and the other tournaments I play in are non-handicap tournaments (there's a net/gross element but I'm only concerned with the Net when I enter so I don't care much what else is going on.)

What happened to JP would enoy the heck out of me.

I did think of a pet peeve last night - playing off the wrong set of tees - the guys ahead of us couldn't hit their way out of a paper back and they were playing from the tips - to be sure one or the other would occasionally hit one but I don't recall a hole where I didn't hear trees or see one of them less than 150 yards off the tee in the rough. We caught them on 11 and had to wait on every shot the rest of the round -

I don't know what they were trying to prove playing from back there. At my regular course I instanly know when someone is playing the wrong set of tees - it happens when I see a driver on number 1 from the tips (which is almost every group that I see on that tee box outside of the friday game and the city championship - there you never see a driver unless there are unusual course conditions.)

I wish courses would only set out two sets of tees and slow the greens down a bit - pace of play would pick up and there would be more people playing golf.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I haven't encountered a serious sand bagger in a long while because my league doesn't tolerate it, the group I play with when I play on Fridays is controlled by the Pro and the other tournaments I play in are non-handicap tournaments (there's a net/gross element but I'm only concerned with the Net when I enter so I don't care much what else is going on.)

What happened to JP would enoy the heck out of me.

I did think of a pet peeve last night - playing off the wrong set of tees - the guys ahead of us couldn't hit their way out of a paper back and they were playing from the tips - to be sure one or the other would occasionally hit one but I don't recall a hole where I didn't hear trees or see one of them less than 150 yards off the tee in the rough. We caught them on 11 and had to wait on every shot the rest of the round -

I don't know what they were trying to prove playing from back there. At my regular course I instanly know when someone is playing the wrong set of tees - it happens when I see a driver on number 1 from the tips (which is almost every group that I see on that tee box outside of the friday game and the city championship - there you never see a driver unless there are unusual course conditions.)

I wish courses would only set out two sets of tees and slow the greens down a bit - pace of play would pick up and there would be more people playing golf.

I typically play the whites and probably could play the blues, but I've set a goal for myself to hit 15 handicap before I do so. I've played plenty of times from the whites with people at the blues who really should be at the reds, I've stopped trying to give subtle hints that the game is more fun when you don't need 3 shots to get to the green on a par 4, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Great point, you guys. I also see guys playing the wrong tees at one of my regular courses all the time, and for what? Like you said rev, what are they trying to prove? I'm a fairly long hitter, but I know my current limits in terms of ability. I usually play the blues, but if someone I'm playing with would prefer to play whites I'm there. It's more social and more fun. And that's ultimately what I'm there for, anyway. What's not fun is waiting behind the yahoos barely reaching the fairway from the tips (assuming the ball went in that general direction in the first place). It has got to be frustrating for them as well.

STX xForm 3, 35"

Great point, you guys. I also see guys playing the wrong tees at one of my regular courses all the time, and for what? Like you said rev, what are they trying to prove? I'm a fairly long hitter, but I know my current limits in terms of ability. I usually play the blues, but if someone I'm playing with would prefer to play whites I'm there. It's more social and more fun. And that's ultimately what I'm there for, anyway. What's not fun is waiting behind the yahoos barely reaching the fairway from the tips (assuming the ball went in that general direction in the first place). It has got to be frustrating for them as well.

What are we up to...+4 on the peeve of playing the wrong tees?

I'm not Superman by any stretch (hell, everyone here has seen my LM numbers enough times to know that), but I can very easily play the back tees at almost any course I play regularly (they're not long to begin with and the superintendents wisely set them up short, regardless of what the card says). That said, it hasn't been until this summer that I started playing the back tees even occasionally. My attitude, borrowed from a guy I golfed with when I was starting out, is, "Until I'm threatening the course record from the tees I'm at, I don't need to move back."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The only time I play past the whites is if the course isn't very crowded and I feel like challenging myself. Other than that, why would one need to unless they bomb the ball long and straight? It slows down play and often leads to higher scores.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Everyone is irritated by things others do on the golf course. There has to be something. So, what bothers you out on the course?

For me, the things that bother me the most are when people throw cigars on the greens or fairways and it makes burn marks, and generally not taking care of the course, like not repairing ball marksd and divots, or not raking bunkers.

And the big one, SLOW PLAY!

I feel I'm pretty easy to get along with on the course, but I do have some pet peeves:

1. fix pitch marks and divots. It isn't that hard. Besides, it helps you, me, the course superintendent and everyone else.

2. Don't spit near the green... especially in the cup. It's absolutely disgusting and f*cking rude, to boot.

2a. same as above, but switch out "spit" with "throw cigar/cigarette butts". I used to smoke; when I did, it wasn't too hard to hold on to the butt the extra 5 minutes until I got to the trash can at the next tee box.

3. Club throwers- especially the ones that think they're thiiiiis close to being "tour ready" by breaking 80 at their local track, or hitting one out of 5 drives >280y that manages to stay in the fairway. I don't care how good you are- or think you are- it makes you look like a jacka$$, and your foursome has to suffer as well, thanks to guilt by association. Leave the whiny-a$$ attitude at home, or try tai-chi to help curb that crap.

I have to +5 the "play the correct tees" thing. Like that old joke goes:

GOLFER: Do you think I can get there with a 5 iron?

CADDY: Eventually.

That should be the rule of the day - "Before I'm threatening the course record from the tees I'm at I don't need to move back."

That's my new mantra anytime I'm with someone who wants to play a set that's too far back. Actually my new rule of thumb is to ask which set of tees they play the senior club championship from when I get to a new course. That's where I play from.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• 2 weeks later...

How about when kids drop marshmallows all over the course. That really makes for an interesting round.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

How about when kids drop marshmallows all over the course. That really makes for an interesting round.

Does this happen to you often enough to be a pet peeve? :lol:

Seriously though, any sort of liter on the course pisses me off, especially when it's five feet from a trash can where someone missed and couldn't bother pick it back up.

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been covered but throwing clubs really irritates me. I played this afternoon with a guy who threw his putter and almost hit two guys walking to their carts.

Earlier in the day, and this was so stupid it is hilarious, but one guy playing in the group behind us broke his driver over his knee then continued to throw a fit and took his clubs off his cart and stomped his bag. Then started hitting his cart with clubs wrapping the shafts around the posts that hold the top. The guys he was playing with were cheering him on until they were all laughing at him. It was his own personal cart. One of them was yelling kill it, kill it. Finally, he threw his clubs on his cart and left. So stupid and childish. And expensive.

Also today and this is just funny. We were putting on hole 5 when we heard some women screaming and laughing. We looked up and accross the lake there were two women falling off of the number 18 island green into the muddy and water and 2 more on the green and 4 more on the deck of the clubhouse laughing at them. It seems they were looking for a ball and got to close to the edge. One slipped and grabbed the other and they both went in. They were laughing so hard they could not climb out. One of the guys I was playing with said Oh -_____ that is my wife. And it was. When we finished the round all the women, two in fresh clothes, were still laughing and having a party. Luckily they live on the course so the could change and not miss the party.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I hate it when people mistreat their equipment. This includes throwing your clubs as hard as you can at your bag or throwing them up in the air. I'll tolerate LIGHTLY tossing your club like if you're in a bunker and need to rake but don't feel like holding your club. Also, it bugs me when people slam their clubs into the ground as hard as they can after a bad shot. It doesn't help you out by making a making a hole in the fairway, c'mon.

It also bothers me when people constantly break those small rules of etiquette every time they play. Talking or laughing during a swing, moving around behind you during a backswing, not fixing pitch marks when they know they made them, walking in people's lines carelessly (not seeing a mark is different), raking bunkers, etc. I'm fine if stuff like this happens once in a while because we all do it but it's not cool when it becomes a habit.

i'm quite a competitive guy, and i have a good friend who is the same.

we only get to play together one or maybe two rounds a year, since we live in different cities.

it always gets a little competitive, and while i usually beat this friend of mine rather easily, his one goal in golf is to beat me on day.

he is also a hacker, but he does make the occasional par (one per round, two on a great day).

but what bothers me, is that he then tries to rub it in. but what he neglects to mention is that he took a mulligan on the tee, then used the old foot wedge to get a clear second shot.

he also never takes a penalty when losing a ball, or going OB.

i really don't care if someone comes to the course and plays like that, i don't mind giving this guy a mulligan every now and again, but i never do this myself.

if i top a tee shot, and it doesn't go past the ladies tee, i'm down for a stroke, and i'm playing two from where the ball ended up. no mulligans ever, no gimmie putts ever (not taking gimmie putts is part of my endeavour of becoming the best putter in my group of playing partners).

now those are the rules i have set for myself, and i do not expect my friends who play once or twice a year, to abide by those (it would take alot of fun out of it for them). but if you are playing with me, and you're going to rub it in when you beat me with a stroke on a specific hole, then i get really annoyed.

when i'm out on the course, i'm playing against myself and the course itself. so i don't really mind if my playing partners play to their own rules (mulligans, gimmies, no penalties), but then you can't compare your score to mine.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Really only two things get to me anymore

A: The guy who acts all snobby because he thinks he's a way better player then you. Especially annoying when they're much, much worse.

B: The guy who runs on to the green, pulls out the flag, mark's their ball, etc while two people are chipping on. One of two things is going to happen. I'm going to hit a sucky shot because I'm trying not to hit you or I hit a shot right at your head because I'm excellent aiming at objects but not open space. Either way, it's bad, RUDE and INCREDIBLY annoying.

Everything else gets a hearty meh from me.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Since last November, or so, I have been playing golf with one of my neighbors about 5 times a week. When we started, he never broke 120. Now he routinely shoots in the low 90's-high 80's and occasionally down in the low 80's. He can still have a number of blowup holes during around, and the fact that we limit score to double bogey certainly helps keep him in this range. (Since you are not going to win the hole, we do not want to watch you hit the ball a dozen times. Do that when you are in a smaller group.) But he can put together a few good shots in a row now and make a birdie or two. This does not bother me. What bothers me is this.

I first noticed this two weeks ago, I drove up to the green and in addition to my ball, which I hit from 120 out in the fairway where I should have hit the green, his ball was also on the green, when I last so him he was 180-190 behind some trees and across a pond, but he hit it up next to the flag. I said, that was a great shot and he said, "Of course."

I was stunned by his attitiude. I thought, that I must have not been paying attention and he had been scoring well all day, so afterwards I looked at my "official scorecard" and checked it against his and sure enough, on both cards he had had 5 previous double bogies and now he was putting for a birdie, it was not an "Of course" shot.

He has done this several times since then.

Last weekend we were playing 6 man wolf. On a par 5 which everyone concedes is my hole, I routinely have an eagle putt and a tap in birdie on this hole. 95% of the time when we play wolf, I am picked as a partner on the way to the green. But I was not putting well last weekend, and one of the other low cappers was the wolf. He hit, then Mr. "Of Course" hit. The wolf said to me very softly, I am picking him but do not tell him. If you tell him, he will hit the next shot out of bounds, if you don't he will birdie. When we get to the green we both have birdie putts but his is shorter than mine. I tell him that he is on the wolf team, because I wanted him to miss. But his response was, "Naturally, I am on the Wolf team, I had the best drive." There were four people who drove the ball after him, 3 of which usually drive the ball better, but did not in this case. He goes out of bounds as often as he finishes a hole, and he says, "Naturally" or "Of Course". The only reason he was chosen was because the wolf feared he would have some lucky shot and beat him, not because he thought he would actually help. He missed the putt, but I did not and we won that hole plus the three carryovers.

I hope I do not come across in my writing as being a "Mr. Of Course." I am not that way on the course but sometimes in writing about it the words that mean one thing to me mean something else to the reader. But in this case, the guy is cocky and smug. I do not think I have ever responded to "good shot" with anything but a "thank, you".

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I was going to just play a quick nine alone. I go over to 10 tee and another single is there (I'm walking he's riding). I asked if he wanted to pair up and he said sure and we shake hands and introduce ourselves. SO I then hit my tee shot. It was a decent shot, about 220 just off the fwy (5 wood). I outdrove him by about 10 yards. So I grab my bag to start walking and he gets in his cart and speeds off really quickly. I wasn't planning on jumping on the cart with him but maybe he thought I was and didn't like that idea?? I expected him to go hit his ball then wait but he quick grabs his club swings and jumps back in and speeds off. I got to my ball and couldn't hit because he was putting. I just raised my arms and gave him the WTF look and he stared at me for like ten seconds and moved on. He was off 11 by the time I got there.

Well, the 17th tee was the most awkward moment of his life. It got backed up and we met again there. I just said "dude if you didn't want to play with me all you had to do was say so..." He responds with "what are you talking about?" in a really nervous voice like he thought I was gonna strangle him. before I could say anything he just drove away... I'm never gonna understand what happened that day.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

We generally have well behaved children running around the club. About the only problem is that they do not pay attention when driving their parents golf cart and will drive in front of you on a couple of holes that have a path from the homes to the pool in the summer. This might happen five times a year so it is not really a serious problem. Last weekend there were two boys who thought it would be funny to hide in the bushes and scream at the exact point when the golfer transitioned from backswing to through swing. And they were right. It was hilarious the first time, to those of us not on the box. The guy on the box did not think so. Had they run off then it would have been ok. However, they did it on the next golfer also. So now they had two really pissed off adults after them.

I caught them and turned them in to the club house, but I later learned that they claimed it was someone else. This really made me mad. Before, while it was not acceptable behavior, I did think it was funny and not that big of a deal, if it stopped there. But now they had said it was not them. A case of misidentification is not likely when the one I saw was wearing a baseball jersey with the number 11 on it. The whole purpose of putting numbers on uniforms is so that ID is easier.

Over the next hour, we saw these kids totally out of control and drive across teeboxes and hit a golf ball at the green on a par 3 while we were putting. Unfortunately for one of them, number 11, I had his grandfathers cell number in my phone and called him. 10 minutes later these kids were no longer a problem, and I do not expect them to be for a long time. Granddad was not happy about it at all.