TESTERS WANTED! ×

Interesting stat find from the tour

NGage

Do you think that this stat can be found? Knowing it exists is cool, but I want to see it too.

I have a feeling that this one isn't on PGATour.com. I wonder where Tiger is on the list, and how the list matches up to penalties/warnings.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have a feeling that this one isn't on PGATour.com. I wonder where Tiger is on the list, and how the list matches up to penalties/warnings.

He could be on bottom of the 437th page. And they still wouldn't have a big enough set of plums to start giving out penalty shots instead of fines that he can pay with the cash in the bottom of his couch.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

He could be on bottom of the 437th page. And they still wouldn't have a big enough set of plums to start giving out penalty shots instead of fines that he can pay with the cash in the bottom of his couch.

That would be my suspicion too. Do they fine players for slow play? Are these fines ever published?

Yeah they fine them, after X amount of warning, but the fine's are only like 10K. Put it this way. Ben Crane has only ever got a few. So you they would warn a corpse a few times before fining them.

I say penalise them shots. Bet they'd speed up then.

Yeah they fine them, after X amount of warning, but the fine's are only like 10K. Put it this way. Ben Crane has only ever got a few. So you they would warn a corpse a few times before fining them.

I say penalise them shots. Bet they'd speed up then.

If the process is "warning, warning, warning, fine........penalty strokes," it really makes the penalty strokes and idle threat. If I knew I would get warned a bunch of times and then fined, there's no way I'd break my routine/rhythm and possibly cost myself prize money just to avoid a fine. The difference between first and second, second and third, etc, would more than pay that fine.

The problem from a tournament officials standpoint is that they don't want to become the story, just like officials in any sport, so they're going to take the easy way out (classic basketball example: Player A fouls Player B while pursuing a loose ball, knocks in out of bounds off of Player B. Ref calls it out of bounds on A instead of making one of the correct calls, out on B or foul on A). If they penalize a player, especially one who's in contention, every story about the tournament is going to mention it. Look at Tiger and Padraig at the WGC last year - they just warned Padraig and they became a BIG part of that story when he played poorly down the stretch.

Ben Crane has to be the slowest player on the planet. When I see him eyeing a shot on TV I can go make myself a sandwich, get a cold one, sit down and take a few bites before he finishes his pre-shot routine.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

If the process is "warning, warning, warning, fine........penalty strokes," it really makes the penalty strokes and idle threat. If I knew I would get warned a bunch of times and then fined, there's no way I'd break my routine/rhythm and possibly cost myself prize money just to avoid a fine. The difference between first and second, second and third, etc, would more than pay that fine.

Exactly, plus it would have to reset every week so players would end up planning for it. Plus, look at all of the backlash that the official got last year at the WGC Bridgestone when he out Paddy and Tiger on the clock. Officials don't want that.

Maybe they should carry their own bags and replace the caddies with Skycaddies. That would speed up play.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Exactly, plus it would have to reset every week so players would end up planning for it. Plus, look at all of the backlash that the official got last year at the WGC Bridgestone when he out Paddy and Tiger on the clock. Officials don't want that.

I couldn't figure it out. If it had been middle of the pack tour players no one would have cared. They should have just hurried the hell up. How many millions of golf shots have they hit. No way taking another 2 mins over a shot is going to help a player of their calibre.

• SPY VIP

I couldn't figure it out. If it had been middle of the pack tour players no one would have cared. They should have just hurried the hell up. How many millions of golf shots have they hit. No way taking another 2 mins over a shot is going to help a player of their calibre.

Some will argue though that taking the time is exactly how they got to be that level of player...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Some will argue though that taking the time is exactly how they got to be that level of player...

IMO, I don't really buy into this. I pley very fast, and I'm a good player, and I've played with many crappy slow playes. I would say it is about 50-50, in my experience.

One way to increase the speed of play might be to tie additional FedEx points to each player with more given to those who are at the top of the list (ie., fastest in terms of play). So let's say the list contains two hundred players on the Tour. You could give 150 to the fastest player and reduce on point to each subsequent player until the player ranked 150 would get one point. After that, you could dock points starting at -1 point for the 151st fastest.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

• SPY VIP

IMO, I don't really buy into this. I pley very fast, and I'm a good player, and I've played with many crappy slow playes. I would say it is about 50-50, in my experience.

As a crappy fast player, I know that some shots could have been better if I had taken more time. I am just saying that Tiger for example has made some amazing putts after taking quite a while to read the green.

I guess methodical vs. slow is the issue.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I wonder where Tiger is on the list.....

That depends on who he's playing with, and if they are challenging him. :)

Tiger is known to speed up with slow players, and slow-walk some faster players to make them have to deal with his crowd more.

But in this instance they got slower than normal. Paddy and Tiger are basically tall sloths on the course. But in the last round of that tournament you could have used them as sundials.

But in this instance they got slower than normal. Paddy and Tiger are basically tall sloths on the course. But in the last round of that tournament you could have used them as sundials.

I think Tiger plays fast or slow depending on how his opponent plays. He's known to use a bit of gamesmanship when it comes to pace of play.

Archived