TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Wheel Deal - REVIEW!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

wheel-deal-1.jpg

Introduction

(Written By: GolfSpy Frank) The very first time I saw The Wheel Deal was when GolfSpy X posted pictures of it in one of his many “In for Review!” posts (the link for that post can be found Here). Some of you loyal members said that you hoped that this did not work, R.P. even said that, and I quote, “If ya gotta resort to this to get a stroke, take up bowling.” Well, I guess it is time for me to take up bowling.

The people behind The Wheel Deal are strong believers in the saying “Drive for show, putt for dough.” This is directly from their website: “After spending some time practicing with The Wheel Deal you will grin seeing you're playing partners slugging balls at the range with their new, high tech drivers that they spent a small fortune on. All this after you have relieved them of the money in their pockets.” The Wheel Deal is very simple. It is made from solid aluminum 2 piece construction. This construction makes it durable and easy to assemble. The wheel is made in a way that gives you great feel, while not damaging the green whatsoever. The Wheel Deal's purpose is to develop a repeatable consistent putting stroke. The “low and slow” stroke the Wheel Deal promotes gets engrained into your muscle memory with each use, shaving strokes off of your score.

wheel-deal-3.jpg

wheel-deal-4.jpg

Set Up/Ease of Use:

The best part about The Wheel Deal, besides the results, is that it is made for golfers like you and me. It's simple. As you can see above, there are 3 parts. It gets assembled in 3 easy steps. Slide your putter shaft into the slot, tighten the wingnut, and then adjust to make sure the wheel is parallel with the clubface and that it leaves your putter slightly above the ground. Even with adjusting, it only takes a couple of minutes. Once it is on, you putt. That's it. Nice and simple, just as I like it.

Score: 18/20

wheel-deal-7.jpg

Effectiveness

Wow. That was the first word I thought when I started using The Wheel Deal. I never would have thought that attaching a wheel to a putter would be so effective. It was a little odd at first. When you first go to putt the ball, you realize the putter is not on the ground. You think it is odd until you make your first putt. There is only one word to describe how the ball rolls off my putter with the Wheel Deal attached: Pure. As a mid-high handicapper, it was something I have never seen or felt before.

When I was testing the Wheel Deal, I used four balls. I would scatter the four putts a similar distance from the hole and putt. Whenever I putt inside of 5 feet, this is what I saw in the hole:

I was so impressed that I took a picture. My lag putting was good too! I was two putting from almost every distance and slope. It helped a lot that I was making everything inside of 5 feet.

Another great aspect of The Wheel Deal is the feedback. When you make the correct putting stroke, the tire will roll smoothly on the green, and will continue to spin after you finish your stroke. That sound of it spinning is addicting, and is something you want to hear again and again. For those of you who practice with a Birdie Ball, the roll of the tire is a sound as addicting and enjoyable as the sound of hitting the Birdie Ball perfectly. You just want it to happen again and again. When you do not use a correct stroke, one of two things will happen. Either you will not be able to complete your stroke, or the putt will be so unbelievably bad that you know.

When I took the Wheel Deal off, I still had the correct putting stroke. Although my lag putting was not as good, my mid to short putts were still going in. I have not made that many putts in between 5-10 feet ever. What made me even happier was that the results transferred to the course. It took me three practice sessions with the Wheel Deal to get my lag putting down. After that third session, my average putts per hole went down from 1.85 to 1.55. With that, my handicap is dropping. Let's just say that the Wheel Deal has made me a very happy golfer.

Score: 40/40

wheel-deal-1-1.jpg

Longevity

It is small, lightweight, fits nicely in my bag, and is easy to assemble. Along with that, it is very durable. Once you assemble it three times, it honestly takes less than two minutes to attach and adjust. I will be using this for a long time.

Score: 20/20

Value

The price of The Wheel Deal on their website is $59.99. That is $40 cheaper than the average putting aid! It comes in Red, Black, Green, and Silver, and will keep you very happy from the moment you purchase it. Like their add says, 40% of your score is putting. Because of that, we need to make sure we spend enough time on the green perfecting our stroke and feel. If you do not have anything effective for that now, this is your product.

Score: 18/20

wheel-deal-5.jpg

wheel-deal-6.jpg

Final Thoughts

I am completely honest when I say that I love The Wheel Deal. It will stay in my bag, and if you purchase it, you will not be disappointed. Unlike other putting aids I have reviewed, this product is made for golfers like you and me. It is easy, simple, and affordable. What more can you ask for?

FINAL SCORE: 96/100

#TruthDigest

Very interesting - I am in full ponder mode...

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Very nice review and I got to say I'm really pleasantly surprised by the cost, especially since it doesn't look cheap to assemble (as opposed to sheet metal that costs $100).

I will definitely consider next time I'm looking for an aide, probably Christmas time. It seems like it will promote a consistent stance, stroke, and rhythm. My only worry is how the weight will affect my stroke.

Great review and from what I can see and read this is sort of my thoughts on it...

I feel that this is to primarily help out the following things in the putting stroke

--> someone that "snatches" the putter head in transition in attempt to hit the ball.

--> someone that "decelerates" the putter head in the thru stroke.

--> someone that "flips" the wrists and breaks down into impact in the putting stroke.

--> someone that "steers" the putter head with the wrists.

I don't see this helping posture or stance, if you have a putter that is the proper length and proper lie angle for where you naturally see the line of the putting stroke then you can use it as a yard stick so to speak to always get into the correct posture and stance that you naturally best see the putting line in.

--> to fit a putter it is best to do this without a club in your hands, get a ball and a ruler stand straight up close to the ball and ruler, slowly work you self away from the ball and hing at the hips until your body feels natural and you can see the line of play the best as if the ruler was not in front of the ball. Take a putting posture like you were holding a conventional air putter. Have a friend / significant other measure your top wrist to the ball, that is the length your putter should be. Then just have the lie adjusted as needed to make it sit flat on the ground.

I tend to just use a penny or coin in the back of my blade putter paired with the tour tempo 2:1 tones to get a good smooth stroke back and a consistent acceleration on the way through, if the coin falls out at all then you are not making a good stroke basally. Breed recommends that on the Golf Fix a lot actually the coin in the back of the putter cavity.

--> flipping & snatching the coin falls out of the cavity before impact.

--> get a rubber wrist band for $1 to support cancer research (live strong band for example) and a playing card to help with steering and flipping as well.

only thing some cheap reminders can't fix too well is deceleration, that's where tour tempo or this device really help a lot, giving a slow but consistent acceleration into and through impact, it is a SWING not a hitting motion with recoil.

Just a thought and my ideas, I am sure this product works well if you got the bank role, if not you can find cheaper alternatives.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I don't see this helping posture or stance, if you have a putter that is the proper length and proper lie angle for where you naturally see the line of the putting stroke then you can use it as a yard stick so to speak to always get into the correct posture and stance that you naturally best see the putting line in.

--> to fit a putter it is best to do this without a club in your hands, get a ball and a ruler stand straight up close to the ball and ruler, slowly work you self away from the ball and hing at the hips until your body feels natural and you can see the line of play the best as if the ruler was not in front of the ball. Take a putting posture like you were holding a conventional air putter. Have a friend / significant other measure your top wrist to the ball, that is the length your putter should be. Then just have the lie adjusted as needed to make it sit flat on the ground.

Look at Tiger sometimes. His posture has changed day by day. The golf channel was showing many of his putts had the toe up. For him, it may be intentional, but I bet many high handicappers don't have as consistent a posture as they think they do.

With this, I imagine the wheel won't feel right unless you start with the correct posture.

Look at Tiger sometimes. His posture has changed day by day. The golf channel was showing many of his putts had the toe up. For him, it may be intentional, but I bet many high handicappers don't have as consistent a posture as they think they do.

With this, I imagine the wheel won't feel right unless you start with the correct posture.

Incorrect, there is no such thing as a "correct posture" for every golfer in putting there is such a thing as "natural posture". If you are or ever become a student of Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edge Consulting) this is day one material that you learn about in the process of fitting a putter to yourself.

Tiger Woods used to putt "toe up" with the Scotty Cameron... You can find 100 images out their with him doing so, golf announcers using are talking out of their a$$ when it comes to advice and way someone is not doing well... They are paid to make a story and majority of the time that is exactly what they do is make up s***

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/02/letter-to-tiger-woods.html Here is a post that Bruce made about Tor Up on Puttertalk.com --> http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=34938.0

Tiger Woods also has an issue in putter design. The Scotty Cameron that he used most of his career is a tri-sole grind, where the putter would sit consistently at a toe up position, consistently soled flat in the middle, or consistently heel up depending on which plane you grounded the putter. The Nike Method has a rounded bottom in the heel and toe, the only place that this grounds consistently is in the center of the putter.

Assuming the specs are exactly the same, for the Scotty and Nike then there is no way for him to get exactly the same amount of tow up on the Nike that he is used to with the Scotty. He is having to adjust his stroke to a putter and that is always a disaster.

So even though the training aid has the putter locked in I'm sure I could manipulate my body, feet, posture 25 different ways without breaking a sweat to make a stroke and have the putter not move at all in terms of position in the wheel. It is about consistently finding the posture not actually having a false sense of achievement.

EDIT: might came off like an a$$ on that one sorry bout that not my intention... Good putting is not about a method or how you go about it, it is about doing it consistently however the method or whatever you feel works for you only... Consistently getting into the same spots every time, and consistently making the same strokes, the point I am making is the wheel doesn't help you if the putter is a terrible fit you are practicing something that is not Natural.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Incorrect, there is no such thing as a "correct posture" for every golfer in putting there is such a thing as "natural posture". If you are or ever become a student of Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edge Consulting) this is day one material that you learn about in the process of fitting a putter to yourself.

Tiger Woods used to putt "toe up" with the Scotty Cameron... You can find 100 images out their with him doing so, golf announcers using are talking out of their a$$ when it comes to advice and way someone is not doing well... They are paid to make a story and majority of the time that is exactly what they do is make up s***

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/02/letter-to-tiger-woods.html Here is a post that Bruce made about Tor Up on Puttertalk.com --> http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=34938.0

Tiger Woods also has an issue in putter design. The Scotty Cameron that he used most of his career is a tri-sole grind, where the putter would sit consistently at a toe up position, consistently soled flat in the middle, or consistently heel up depending on which plane you grounded the putter. The Nike Method has a rounded bottom in the heel and toe, the only place that this grounds consistently is in the center of the putter.

Assuming the specs are exactly the same, for the Scotty and Nike then there is no way for him to get exactly the same amount of tow up on the Nike that he is used to with the Scotty. He is having to adjust his stroke to a putter and that is always a disaster.

So even though the training aid has the putter locked in I'm sure I could manipulate my body, feet, posture 25 different ways without breaking a sweat to make a stroke and have the putter not move at all in terms of position in the wheel. It is about consistently finding the posture not actually having a false sense of achievement.

EDIT: might came off like an a$$ on that one sorry bout that not my intention... Good putting is not about a method or how you go about it, it is about doing it consistently however the method or whatever you feel works for you only... Consistently getting into the same spots every time, and consistently making the same strokes, the point I am making is the wheel doesn't help you if the putter is a terrible fit you are practicing something that is not Natural.

No, but there is consistent posture. While I agree with you about commentators speaking out of their asses half the time, it was pretty clear that Tiger was putting one way one day and another the day he "got it".

You're also right that I can putt left handed with my foot up in the air and have the putter roll along the middle of the wheel, but if I were trying to become consistent, then some feedback is better than nothing. I'd love Bruce's take on this aide. My thoughts are purely based on what I read in this review, where FLV talked about the feedback of hearing the wheel make a proper roll.

After reading this, I went to my Wheel Deal on my putter and used different postures and it did not effect the use of the product at all. It does not matter what kind of posture you are in, it creates a low and slow putting stroke as long as it is being used correctly. Hope that helps :)

EDIT: I have a set angle and place on my shaft where I place the Wheel Deal. Once I set it once all I have to do is place it on and tighten and it is in the same position. With the different postures I just tested, that wheel was still straight and in that position and I was getting the same feedback with my putts.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

After reading this, I went to my Wheel Deal on my putter and used different postures and it did not effect the use of the product at all. It does not matter what kind of posture you are in, it creates a low and slow putting stroke as long as it is being used correctly. Hope that helps :)

EDIT: I have a set angle and place on my shaft where I place the Wheel Deal. Once I set it once all I have to do is place it on and tighten and it is in the same position. With the different postures I just tested, that wheel was still straight and in that position and I was getting the same feedback with my putts.

Good to know, guess I was wrong, oh well. Thanks FLV.

That was sort of my point once the shaft is locked into the wheel, you can make 100 different legit postures and stances gripping it various ways, so it really has no effect on stance at all you can still use the training aid and make a stoke.

Take Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Steve Stricker, Ben Hogan, etc no one has EXACTLY the same posture and stroke source of motion what they all have is that they are consistent at it. (Well Tiger USED to be anyways lately he has not been)

In the end the goal is to get a CONSISTENT / SMOOTH stroke, I figure that you might be able to do the same thing with a penny sitting in the cavity of the back of a putter and figuring out how to keep it in the cavity throughout the stroke. It also sort of promotes a low and slow type of stroke after awhile.

Good to know, guess I was wrong, oh well. Thanks FLV.

You were not completely wrong though. Although it is still workable and you get the same feedback, the Wheel Deal does create a posture. When I moved myself farther away or closer to the ball, you do feel uncomfortable keeping that wheel on the ground like you are supposed to. I think the big thing with posture and the Wheel Deal is getting that angle right when you first use. Once you lock that angle in via the latch on top, and find a place on the shaft to put it you will use that same position every time. My uncomfortableness could have been from my slight exaggeration of the postures, but I think to keep that wheel where it is supposed to be, you end up moving to the same distance away from the ball. I hope I did not contradict myself anywhere. Basically what I am trying to say is that you can putt successfully with the Wheel Deal from any posture, but if you use the same angle and distance every time like I do, you will find a distance from the ball that you are most comfortable with in order to keep that wheel on the ground.

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

In the end the goal is to get a CONSISTENT / SMOOTH stroke, I figure that you might be able to do the same thing with a penny sitting in the cavity of the back of a putter and figuring out how to keep it in the cavity throughout the stroke. It also sort of promotes a low and slow type of stroke after awhile.

Yes, it has the same effect. The Wheel Deal has a greater effect on your muscle memory though. When you have something forcing yourself do the right putting stroke every time, I feel like it will help you achieve those results faster because you gain that feel of the Wheel Deal while you are on the course.

Yes, it has the same effect. The Wheel Deal has a greater effect on your muscle memory though. When you have something forcing yourself do the right putting stroke every time, I feel like it will help you achieve those results faster because you gain that feel of the Wheel Deal while you are on the course.

I have to agree with you there, resistance gives a better muscle memory then a little coin sitting on the putter cavity.

Frank,

Am I correct in assuming that the Wheel Deal keeps the putter head at a constant distance from the ground regardless of how long the stroke is?

If I'm correct, I would think this limits the usefulness of the Wheel Deal to short putts. I don't want my arms extending out to keep the wheel on the ground (as they would in the longer stroke associated with a longer putt), then pulling back in as I bring the putter back towards the ball.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Frank,

Am I correct in assuming that the Wheel Deal keeps the putter head at a constant distance from the ground regardless of how long the stroke is?

If I'm correct, I would think this limits the usefulness of the Wheel Deal to short putts. I don't want my arms extending out to keep the wheel on the ground (as they would in the longer stroke associated with a longer putt), then pulling back in as I bring the putter back towards the ball.

You are correct in your assumption, but surprisingly it does not limit the Wheel Deal to short putts. Yes, it is easier to learn the short putts first. I sort of wrote that in the review. While I was able to make short and medium length putts somewhat easily after my first practice sessions, it did take me two more sessions to get my long putting down. If you were pushing on the wheel throughout the stroke, it would limit it. But that is not the design of the product. When I putt using the Wheel Deal, I am not pushing at all on the wheel. I have it on the ground, and I putt making sure it stays there. Because of that, my stroke takes it natural form. When I take it to the point in my back-swing where it does lift up a little, the wheel stays on the ground. That is because my shaft is leaning at that point, and with the wheels design, the front stays on the ground and then I can roll the wheel back through. Because of your concerns, I went and made a back-swing that made sure reached a point where the wheel left the ground. With the correct stroke, the wheel went back on the ground and I was able to complete the stroke easily. If I went off line I could not complete this stroke. I hope I understood your question. Is that sort of on the lines of what you were looking for?

You are correct in your assumption, but surprisingly it does not limit the Wheel Deal to short putts. Yes, it is easier to learn the short putts first. I sort of wrote that in the review. While I was able to make short and medium length putts somewhat easily after my first practice sessions, it did take me two more sessions to get my long putting down. If you were pushing on the wheel throughout the stroke, it would limit it. But that is not the design of the product. When I putt using the Wheel Deal, I am not pushing at all on the wheel. I have it on the ground, and I putt making sure it stays there. Because of that, my stroke takes it natural form. When I take it to the point in my back-swing where it does lift up a little, the wheel stays on the ground. That is because my shaft is leaning at that point, and with the wheels design, the front stays on the ground and then I can roll the wheel back through. Because of your concerns, I went and made a back-swing that made sure reached a point where the wheel left the ground. With the correct stroke, the wheel went back on the ground and I was able to complete the stroke easily. If I went off line I could not complete this stroke. I hope I understood your question. Is that sort of on the lines of what you were looking for?

Yes, I think you got what I was trying to say. I also went on their site and watched some of the videos to see if I could find something that would convince me that this isn't a concern. I'm not 100% sold, and I likely won't be unless I tried it myself, but I'm glad it's working for you.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived