TESTERS WANTED! ×

TREND - Companies Attempt At Viral Golf Ads

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Sure you have all seen something like this over the past year or two. The example below is of Taylormade, not taking a shot at them as much as I am the entire industry for this one...this is just one example of many. But what do you guys think? Haven't we had enough of this skipping across water, hitting the gong, hitting it over the fence from home plate (by the way is only about 130 yards) catch a ball while driving, hitting it through yellowpages, etc. in the attempt of creating a viral video? Can they honestly not come up with something better than this? Why when one company does it, every other company feels like they have to do the same thing? I mean I get it, it inspired you to do X...but can't you come up with something original.

What are your thoughts?

GO!

399372_101.jpeg

#TruthDigest

I like seeing the quirky side of the pros in funny ads for golf product, doesn't make me want to run out and buy what they are pitching, but I will try them/it/those...etc!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

These attempts at making golf "cool" have failed. It´s not like people don´t know about golf. We don´t need to bring the stars out and hit greens from buildings boats +++. We need to bring golf to non-golfers. Street Golf is a great concept played anywhere with Almost Golf balls. And what about Snag? Letting people try themselves is so much better than putting two millionaires on an island in the Thames.

They should use these concepts to do something spontaneous in the streets. That would be cool. That would make people notice the brand of clubs they use.

I like these ads... They are different from the typical golf ads that air during weekend matches or on the golf channel all day long... There have been quite a few posts here lately asking how to grow the game, this might be a start...

My son, who is 7, is bored to tears watching golf, but he likes watching these commercials, and when we are out in the yard practicing, he likes to try imitating them... This has gotten him somewhat interested, maybe it can grab a few teenagers or people in their 20's... after all this is who I perceive is the target audience...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I like these ads... They are different from the typical golf ads that air during weekend matches or on the golf channel all day long... There have been quite a few posts here lately asking how to grow the game, this might be a start...

My son, who is 7, is bored to tears watching golf, but he likes watching these commercials, and when we are out in the yard practicing, he likes to try imitating them... This has gotten him somewhat interested, maybe it can grab a few teenagers or people in their 20's... after all this is who I perceive is the target audience...

Likewise.

I remember how much fun it was to watch the Volkswagon commercials of the 50's and 60's and also the Burma Shave highway poems. Nike made a lot of fun commercials in Golf with Tiger, and the PGA Tour has a winning formula in their " these guys are good " spots.

Ads are a lot more fun and worth watching when done with some entertainment value. To me, that's great marketing.

Shambles

I honestly think these commercials are attractive. We all know what the pro's can do on the course, so seeing them do "stupid" stuff brings a new sense of freshness.

Remember all those Nike free style basketball commercials? Or Nike football with the Brazilian team at the airport or playing vs demons? Those were the real deal and IMO very original.

Like Shambles said: Nike and Tiger made really good ones too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1st1Vw2kY

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

For me, there's a world of difference between the Tiger video that Steve posted (awesome) and something stupid like hitting balls at a bridge. If the videos are actually creative and funny, I like them. If it's just, "Look where we hit golf balls" then I pass.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

For me, there's a world of difference between the Tiger video that Steve posted (awesome) and something stupid like hitting balls at a bridge. If the videos are actually creative and funny, I like them. If it's just, "Look where we hit golf balls" then I pass.

My example would have been the one on the Driving Range where a whole row of amateurs began copying Tiger's timing and tempo and had it...until Tiger left. It SO addressed a common fault.

I also loved the Nike Football commercials, especially the one at the airport.

Shambles

I hadn't seen that one at the driving range. EPIC!

I also like Buick's. Look at how happy those people are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAxWIfcE5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X45Fzg7S2yY

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Pretty much this. It's gotta be fun. Hitting the ball off a bridge is sort of like Callaway's Vegas commercials that made me less likely to play their clubs. It's gotta have an element of supernatural or ridiculousness for me. My favorite commercial is still the Wilson staff one where the model approaches the middle age guy purely because of his clubs.

Pretty much this. It's gotta be fun. Hitting the ball off a bridge is sort of like Callaway's Vegas commercials that made me less likely to play their clubs. It's gotta have an element of supernatural or ridiculousness for me. My favorite commercial is still the Wilson staff one where the model approaches the middle age guy purely because of his clubs.

Good call on Wilson. They're not the "viral" type videos that this topic was started for, but they do a great job with their ads.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Ahh I think you are being a bit too harsh on this. Let the creative types run wild and have their fun. And every now and then we get an ad that actually makes us sit up and notice. To be honest it really is just branding for them. Some great ones on www.youtube.com

Sure you have all seen something like this over the past year or two. The example below is of Taylormade, not taking a shot at them as much as I am the entire industry for this one...this is just one example of many. But what do you guys think? Haven't we had enough of this skipping across water, hitting the gong, hitting it over the fence from home plate (by the way is only about 130 yards) catch a ball while driving, hitting it through yellowpages, etc. in the attempt of creating a viral video? Can they honestly not come up with something better than this? Why when one company does it, every other company feels like they have to do the same thing? I mean I get it, it inspired you to do X...but can't you come up with something original.

What are your thoughts?

GO!

I could not agree more...we may not like everyone of them but where is the harm in enjoying these ads every now and then?

I honestly think these commercials are attractive. We all know what the pro's can do on the course, so seeing them do "stupid" stuff brings a new sense of freshness.

Remember all those Nike free style basketball commercials? Or Nike football with the Brazilian team at the airport or playing vs demons? Those were the real deal and IMO very original.

Like Shambles said: Nike and Tiger made really good ones too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1st1Vw2kY

Hitting the gong was by the European Tour, and was designed to showcase the players on their tour, not any product. I think that was effective. I was especially impressed with the "skeet" version, hitting clay pigeons out of mid-air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEB9GgKoJ0&feature=player_embedded

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

• 3 months later...

Surely it is just a bit of fun right? wish they could come up with something as cool as dollarshaveclub.com video

ceck it out herehttp://www.dollarshaveclub.com

Hitting the gong was by the European Tour, and was designed to showcase the players on their tour, not any product. I think that was effective. I was especially impressed with the "skeet" version, hitting clay pigeons out of mid-air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEB9GgKoJ0&feature=player_embedded

Archived