Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is Golf Industry Finally Getting It?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

There is rarely much MUST SEE TV when your talking golf. Yeah I know there are those reading this that are saying "Every weekend is must watch golf". Yeah you are the guy I am not referring to when I write this post. I am referring the guy the game lost or the guy that hasn't tried the sport. They are leaving in numbers from the sport like viewers of Fencing directly after the Olympics. They have a million opportunities to change this and up to this point are all talk and no walk.

But this one on paper at least sounds like some MUST SEE GOLF!

=========================================================

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy will square off in China this fall in a one-day exhibition.

Woods and McIlroy are to play an 18-hole match at Lake Jinsha International Golf Club on Oct. 29, the Monday after the top two players in the world ranking compete in different Asian tournaments.

Mark Steinberg at Excel Sports Management, the agent for Woods, says the exhibition has been in the works for a couple of months. He described it as customer entertainment.

The timing could not be better. McIlroy won the PGA Championship on Sunday, boosting comparisons with Woods. They are the only two players to win multiple majors by more than eight shots over the last 35 years. McIlroy won his second major at a slightly younger age than when Woods won the second of his 14 majors.

"I'm sure this gives it a little more pop," Steinberg said. "Rory has moved to No. 1 in the world, and clearly they are the two most recognizable names in golf."

Woods will be playing the CIMB Classic in Malaysia on Oct. 25-28, while McIlroy will be competing in the Volvo Masters in Shanghai.

These 18-hole exhibitions are nothing new for Woods, who played David Duval in a Monday night match on network TV in 1999 when they were battling for No. 1 in the world. McIlroy and Woods played together in Abu Dhabi to start the year, and they will be in the same group at The Barclays next week when the FedEx Cup playoffs begin. But unless they are paired in Ryder Cup singles -- a blind draw -- the "Duel at Lake Jinsha" will be their first time going head-to-head.

"It should be a lot of fun," McIlroy said in a telephone interview with Golf Channel on Wednesday. "First time I've really ever done something like this with Tiger."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

#TruthDigest

What's the guess on the fee for each? $3m?

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

What's the guess on the fee for each? $3m?

As great as Rory is to the golf world, there's no way he's getting paid the same as Tiger. I remember they made a big stink about players getting paid to play at the Abu Dhabi earlier this year, but I don't think it was ever disclosed how much they got

As great as Rory is to the golf world, there's no way he's getting paid the same as Tiger. I remember they made a big stink about players getting paid to play at the Abu Dhabi earlier this year, but I don't think it was ever disclosed how much they got

I agree he probably won't be paid as much as Tiger, but it'll be close.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Small point... they aren't the top 2 ranked players in the world last i looked... that would be Rory and Luke Donald :)

r2wtrials website

Also web master for Trial Magazine

Driver:- Titleist 910

3 Wood:- Mizuno 820

rescues:- Cleveland & Md Golf

Irons:- Cobra S3 pro 6 & 7, Cleveland CG7 4,5,8,9,p (graphite shaft)

Wedges:- Taylormade ATV 52, 56.

Putter:- LA Jolla

Yeah but a Rory and Luke match ain't gonna put asses in seats either.

:-) .. true, i'll give you that one!

Wonder which of Rory and Tiger will get to wear the red shirt for this?

r2wtrials website

Also web master for Trial Magazine

Driver:- Titleist 910

3 Wood:- Mizuno 820

rescues:- Cleveland & Md Golf

Irons:- Cobra S3 pro 6 & 7, Cleveland CG7 4,5,8,9,p (graphite shaft)

Wedges:- Taylormade ATV 52, 56.

Putter:- LA Jolla

I can't wait for this. I actually think Tiger is going to win. You all can disagree with me, but I feel like he will win because of experience, maturity, and the fact that if Tiger wants to kick someone's ass, he WILL kick their ass.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

That's a tough bet! McIlroy of course just won his 2nd major, but hadn't really been playing that great in the weeks (months even) before that. Tiger hasn't been winning, but he's consistently in the top 10 week in and week out and has really had a more consistent season and played better golf more often.

When McIlroy is on, he looks unbeatable. Tiger certainly has that in him but we haven't seen it lately.

If the match were tomorrow, I think I'd have to take Tiger just because of experience, but I wouldn't bet heavy!

You're right, MUST SEE golf if there is such a thing!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Tiger is gonna show him the eye of the tiger!

/insert Rocky theme

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great idea! Is it just me, or did skins games with the top pro's used to be a more regular thing? I seem to remember watching guys like Price and Norman playing for 50K a hole or something back in the late 90's.

It would be great to see that kind of play make a comeback.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

i reckon tiger will beat mcilroy.

tiger is quite good at raising his game when there is something in line (except for the majors it seems).

look how he won nicklaus' tournament this year, as well as the arnold palmer invitational.

and with the comparisons between rory and tiger at an all time high, tiger would LOVE to show mcilroy that he still has a long way to go. tiger loves this kind of thing where he can one up somebody else.

i reckon that's what motivated him to win nicklaus' tournament. for him to tie the golden bear, by winning nicklaus' tournament, was a big thing. he likes to rise to these kinds of challenges.

and i think that's why he is the likely winner.

it also helps that he has been more consistent so far this year.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

That's a tough bet! McIlroy of course just won his 2nd major, but hadn't really been playing that great in the weeks (months even) before that. Tiger hasn't been winning, but he's consistently in the top 10 week in and week out and has really had a more consistent season and played better golf more often.

When McIlroy is on, he looks unbeatable. Tiger certainly has that in him but we haven't seen it lately.

If the match were tomorrow, I think I'd have to take Tiger just because of experience, but I wouldn't bet heavy!

You're right, MUST SEE golf if there is such a thing!

I'll add my voice to this point of view. It IS a tough call.

I lean in Tiger's direction but mostly because Tiger has shown himself a fighter for way long and Rory has melted more often than I would be comfortable with. This fighting attitude is what made Arnie and Jack the dominant legends they rightly became in their time.

Shambles

We need to do a bet for this.

I would suggest MGS put up a prize or maybe a few prizes from which the winner could pick the one they wanted. To get in you HAVE to make a $10 donation to MGS. For each donation you get to pick a result of the match (like Tiger 2-1 or McIlroy 3-2). Tie breaker could be combined number of birdies in the match. Entries would be messaged to a staff member and revealed after the entry deadline but before the match.

Is that under 100 words? Can it be my contest entry?! :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Can't Wait - and yes I am guessing the fee will be something ridiculous!

There is rarely much MUST SEE TV when your talking golf. Yeah I know there are those reading this that are saying "Every weekend is must watch golf". Yeah you are the guy I am not referring to when I write this post. I am referring the guy the game lost or the guy that hasn't tried the sport. They are leaving in numbers from the sport like viewers of Fencing directly after the Olympics. They have a million opportunities to change this and up to this point are all talk and no walk.

But this one on paper at least sounds like some MUST SEE GOLF!

=========================================================

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy will square off in China this fall in a one-day exhibition.

Woods and McIlroy are to play an 18-hole match at Lake Jinsha International Golf Club on Oct. 29, the Monday after the top two players in the world ranking compete in different Asian tournaments.

Mark Steinberg at Excel Sports Management, the agent for Woods, says the exhibition has been in the works for a couple of months. He described it as customer entertainment.

The timing could not be better. McIlroy won the PGA Championship on Sunday, boosting comparisons with Woods. They are the only two players to win multiple majors by more than eight shots over the last 35 years. McIlroy won his second major at a slightly younger age than when Woods won the second of his 14 majors.

"I'm sure this gives it a little more pop," Steinberg said. "Rory has moved to No. 1 in the world, and clearly they are the two most recognizable names in golf."

Woods will be playing the CIMB Classic in Malaysia on Oct. 25-28, while McIlroy will be competing in the Volvo Masters in Shanghai.

These 18-hole exhibitions are nothing new for Woods, who played David Duval in a Monday night match on network TV in 1999 when they were battling for No. 1 in the world. McIlroy and Woods played together in Abu Dhabi to start the year, and they will be in the same group at The Barclays next week when the FedEx Cup playoffs begin. But unless they are paired in Ryder Cup singles -- a blind draw -- the "Duel at Lake Jinsha" will be their first time going head-to-head.

"It should be a lot of fun," McIlroy said in a telephone interview with Golf Channel on Wednesday. "First time I've really ever done something like this with Tiger."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

They like each other too much. At least that's how it seems. A kid playing against his idol, and an idol playing with an up and coming star. I don't think either will feel pressure....I think it will be a fun exhibition match.....and I'm looking forward to watching!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Archived