TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Rental Sites - Who is the best?

jimmurphy99

So what experience do people have with the various golf rental sites? Thinking about trying a rental instead of hauling my own clubs with me when I travel in the fall. Not sure how good or bad these sites are and how good or bad the clubs you get are?

Any advice, horror stories or comments would be very welcome. I mean most seem to do ok business (but how do you tell?) and be in existence for a while but is it really an alternative? What is it like playing with rental clubs vs. your own?

Would love to get your feedback. Thanks

So what experience do people have with the various golf rental sites? Thinking about trying a rental instead of hauling my own clubs with me when I travel in the fall. Not sure how good or bad these sites are and how good or bad the clubs you get are?

Any advice, horror stories or comments would be very welcome. I mean most seem to do ok business (but how do you tell?) and be in existence for a while but is it really an alternative? What is it like playing with rental clubs vs. your own?

Would love to get your feedback. Thanks

Hi Jim

I have used these guys in the past and found them to do exactly what it says on the tin. Nothing exceptional and the rental set they gave me was ok but not brilliant. I think they are well worth using if you plan on some adhoc golf while on a vacation but think I would probably bring my own set (despite not being a brilliant golfer) for a specific golfing vacation. Hope that helps.

http://www.golfrentalandsales.com/

If I'm going on a golf trip, no chance I don't bring my own clubs. If it's something like a family week in MB or Daytona and I want to play a round, rental will be fine.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I have only have played golf twice with out having my own club. The first time the resort in Hawaii had Titleist clubs for rent and the next time was in Las Vegas and I rented a set of Callaway Razrs. Both times I rented at the course. While it was fine and I played with nice equipment, it was not what I was used to and did not enjoy the round as much as I do with my own clubs.

I actually have put together an additional set of clubs, that I did have listed below but removed because they are a work in progress, that I travel with. They are a pretty good set made up primarily of my older clubs that I like but have newer replacements for. This way I can ship them ahead of me, and if they come up missing I will not cry myself to sleep at night. I could not get anything for them anyway.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Hi Jim

I have used these guys in the past and found them to do exactly what it says on the tin. Nothing exceptional and the rental set they gave me was ok but not brilliant. I think they are well worth using if you plan on some adhoc golf while on a vacation but think I would probably bring my own set (despite not being a brilliant golfer) for a specific golfing vacation. Hope that helps.

http://www.golfrentalandsales.com/

These guys are way behind n their selection of clubs...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I'm guessing he means golf clubs that they list JP -

I don't travel often for golf where I don't know what I'm getting into ahead of time but when I do I prefer www.golfpactravel.com. I would never rely on rental clubs so I can't help you there - If you're concern is taking your own clubs I think I'd cobbled together a back up set - wouldn't take long to assemble a set of similar clubs to your own and if you travel a lot it would be cheaper. I used to travel and play in Arizona a lot and would just keep a second set at my Mom's house. I have a couple of good friends who live in the Northeast and keep clubs at my house.

If you love golf I would say you want to be playing clubs that are like yours when you travel - what's the fun of playing a new course, perhaps even a dream course, without your own sticks?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 months later...

I've just received my R11s from Golf Redefined. A great service that allows you to play with and swap out the drivers of your choice. Great service that puts a little "twist" on the rental idea...not so much renting golf drivers but actually leasing them...Think I am going to try a Ping Anser next followed by the Callway Razr Fit...

I have only have played golf twice with out having my own club. The first time the resort in Hawaii had Titleist clubs for rent and the next time was in Las Vegas and I rented a set of Callaway Razrs. Both times I rented at the course. While it was fine and I played with nice equipment, it was not what I was used to and did not enjoy the round as much as I do with my own clubs.

I actually have put together an additional set of clubs, that I did have listed below but removed because they are a work in progress, that I travel with. They are a pretty good set made up primarily of my older clubs that I like but have newer replacements for. This way I can ship them ahead of me, and if they come up missing I will not cry myself to sleep at night. I could not get anything for them anyway.

I've just received my R11s from Golf Redefined. A great service that allows you to play with and swap out the drivers of your choice. Great service that puts a little "twist" on the rental idea...not so much renting golf drivers but actually leasing them...Think I am going to try a Ping Anser next followed by the Callway Razr Fit...

Jim.

I have never heard of these folks or anything like them. it seems pretty cool.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Netflix for drivers. That's pretty awesome. For a hundred bucks a month though to get the good stuff, it's a bit steep. I'd rather just take it out for the day at te pro shop and pay nothing but the cost of range balls. I can see it being a good thing if you live in the middle of Montana and have nowhere to try clubs.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Ice - I don't know anywhere around here that will let you try clubs other than at their facility which rarely includes being able to hit a shot outside.

I think that a service like this might catch on like wildfire.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ice - I don't know anywhere around here that will let you try clubs other than at their facility which rarely includes being able to hit a shot outside.

I think that a service like this might catch on like wildfire.

I can see both sides. Personally I think the cost is a bit high to actually get the current models to try out. Plus I'm assuming it will be stock everything, no custom shafts. Personally I can't see myself ever using a service like this.

On the flip side I can see a benefit for someone living in a area without access to a golf store that wants to try out different clubs.

2ndswing would be a better option in my opinion. They offer a 7 day return period with a full refund as long as the club is in the same condition. You just pay return shipping. They also offer a 30 day period where if you don't like it they will give you 75% of the value back.

Even better if you live in MN where the stores are. As long as you buy from them, you can try it for 30 days and get full in-store credit to swap to something else. This works on all their clubs too, not just drivers.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Actually $100 bucks a quarter...if you sign up for a quarter...

or $39 if you just do it monthly...

Netflix for drivers. That's pretty awesome. For a hundred bucks a month though to get the good stuff, it's a bit steep. I'd rather just take it out for the day at te pro shop and pay nothing but the cost of range balls. I can see it being a good thing if you live in the middle of Montana and have nowhere to try clubs.

as my post above - $100 bucks a quarter...not a month...

and it seems from the site that you can pick between different lofts and a regular or stiff shaft...

ok not quite the full customization but pretty cool to be able to have whatever driver you want in your bag at all times...

and you can swap it out whenever another looks like it is worth a go...

I can see both sides. Personally I think the cost is a bit high to actually get the current models to try out. Plus I'm assuming it will be stock everything, no custom shafts. Personally I can't see myself ever using a service like this.

On the flip side I can see a benefit for someone living in a area without access to a golf store that wants to try out different clubs.

2ndswing would be a better option in my opinion. They offer a 7 day return period with a full refund as long as the club is in the same condition. You just pay return shipping. They also offer a 30 day period where if you don't like it they will give you 75% of the value back.

Even better if you live in MN where the stores are. As long as you buy from them, you can try it for 30 days and get full in-store credit to swap to something else. This works on all their clubs too, not just drivers.

as my post above - $100 bucks a quarter...not a month...

and it seems from the site that you can pick between different lofts and a regular or stiff shaft...

ok not quite the full customization but pretty cool to be able to have whatever driver you want in your bag at all times...

and you can swap it out whenever another looks like it is worth a go...

I get the cost, but for me it breaks down like this. I would use a service like that to find the driver that works best for me. Figure a golf season is around 9 months long in MN. That's $300 a season for drivers. That also happens to be about the cost of a new driver. But with a rental program you don't have any value in the product you are using, so if you want to sell it, you can't recoup anything. You could buy a new driver every year and sell the old one and have less cost invested. Plus I would get more than a single year's use out of a driver.

Now if it were putters and the cost was a little less, I could see myself using it to try out a bunch of different things until I found "the one"

All I'm saying is that while some folks might find value in a service like that, In my particular case the pricing doesn't add up to a value for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived