TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shots going left....

I'm been working on (tweaking...adjusting...messing up....whatever) my swing all summer. I've started taking it back much more to the inside as it seems to enable me to strike the ball more consistently and solidly.

My shots go medium-high & straight......but......usually left. No hook or slice, just a pull to the left. Sometimes way left, sometimes just a wee bit. (The DTL video is an example of WAY left as I was aiming out over the big square target you see out in the yard).

This is with every club from driver to wedge. I use basically the same swing for every club.

It looks like I'm casting the club somewhat....anyway...I posted a video including both DTL and Front-On hoping to get some insight/advice.

Thanks!

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start with the easy stuff:

A pull means the face is pointed left of the target and the path is left of the target also. If it's an absolute straight pull, the face and path are square to each other. If it curves left or right, the face is somewhat closed/open to the path.

As for swing advice (and all of this is tentative, since it's based on one swing on video with a bad camera angle [not trying to be an a**hole about that, but the camera angle can skew the look of the path]):

The more "inside" your hands go at the start, the more they will be inclined to come "over the top" in the downswing. On this shot, your club path looks decidedly "outside-in" or left of the target. No question you can hit it solid this way, but you need to have the clubface more open relative to the path so that it cuts back to the target instead of just pulling left.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

On this shot, your club path looks decidedly "outside-in" or left of the target.
Makes sense....thanks.

I'll start with the easy stuff:
What's the not-so-easy stuff? :(

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I had, have this issue. I come in to far to the inside and pull it 40 yards left. Great shot but it is a miss by 40 yards. My first move was to get really good at getting up and down from 40 yards left.:P

The second thing I did was focus on keeping my club head outside my hands until after waste high. I do not "feel" like I am taking it back as far but I probably am. I still get the same distance but the ball flies straight at the target.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Not a teacher or a pro, so take this FWIW. It looks like you are WAY too laid off on the takeaway with what appears to be a very closed stance (little closed is ok, I like my feet a little closed an shoulders a little open). Lay some alignment sticks down, square up your feet down the line and as you take that club back, at 9:00 it should be pointing directly at the camera behind you parallel to the line. Some teach the wrists broken there with the clubface at 12:00 from your perspective, I don't like my wrists broken there at all and want my clubface at 11:00. Feel like you're lifting it straight up after that, up over your shoulder, you wont' be but that is what it will feel like to you. You're swing the club around your chest almost on a very flat plane, because of the way your feet appear to be lined up, you are pulling the ball a ton just to hit it straight down the line. You actually look pretty good at the top but I think that the manipulations you've had to make to get there combined with your close stance are keeping you from being able to fire straight back down the line on plane.

Watch your little loop at the top right before you set your club, it is going from laid off to more vertical to get into position. I am seeking the opposite of that, from a bit too vertical to dropping inside on the way down. This momentum is what is taking you outside to in instead of inside to out. With your feet closed, you cant really come inside to out and get down the line I dont think.

Take it for what its worth! Just what I think I'm seeing!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm seeing what others are seeing - it looks to me as if you are very closed which is forcing you to come very inside and then over the top. Because you're a stronger player you hit a pull rather than a weak slice.

It all starts with the closed stance though reign that in and things might fall into place.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

OK...all those comments make perfect sense. I actually didn't realize how closed my stance had gotten from "adjusting" to the pull. I'll start taking a square stance and getting the club back more vertical.

THANKS!!!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

BK, no disrespect to anyone on this page, because there's a lot of knowledge here & Matt's, Tyk's, RR's & Rk's comments are all accurate, well articulated posts, though as Matt stated, the camera angle can be deceiving regarding what we are seeing versus what you are actually doing....

The best advice that I would give is to find a pro to work with, someone to who you are comfortable with and who does not teach by the cook book/recipe style...It's easier said than done....

The Best....

Fairwasy & Greens 4ever.....

Yup, this.

Generally I don't even comment on swing videos because I agree with what Richard said so much, but after I got through with the ball flight explanation I couldn't stop myself from typing more. I know in real life that's called verbal diarrhea...what's the internet forum equivalent? :huh:

Generally I don't even comment on swing videos because I agree with what Richard said so much,

Well, I appreciate all the comments and advice. Finding a good pro around here is impossible. Besides, if I wasn't sure I could get good advice on here, I wouldn't even have asked ;)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Definitely casting. You might want to work on creating more lag and holding the angle more. Id also suggestling learning to hit from the inside more (you look to me coming over the top a bit). The way that I learned to hit from the inside was to imagine that I was a batter in baseball and I was trying to hit the ball to 1st base.

Those 2 things should fix your pulls and have you hitting a nice little draw in no time.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Well I am sort of late to the party so my fault, Matt covered it well...

The camera needs to be perfectly down a target line on DTL view you have to make sure your body is aimed at the target line to be 100% sure you are not casting. On the Face on View back the camera up just a touch so that it is a little easier to see all the body parts.

I wanted to make a note that you have a one plane swing, this is not a bad thing you just need to know it to be able to improve and not take advice that fits a hybrid or two plane swing. The lead arm pretty much matches the shoulder rotation plane. Just because I see what is going on in analysis that doesn't always leed to the best answer to fix it, I am not an instructor, I don't know what you feel in your body to produce a swing etc.

Too many golfers attempt to create a swing plane when it just needs to naturally happen. By that I mean a lot of golfers toss there left arm across the body to create a "plane" it normally causes an inside takeaway and at the top the hands get very deep behind the body. This almost always leads to someone feeling like they have to cast with the upper body to get the club into the correct position on the down swing.

1) The hands at the top of the backswing are really deep behind your body.

--> Matt mentioned that this could be from an inside takeaway that is only part of it I feel because I had a lot of the same issue i see in your swing at one point.

--> I think that your left side is breaking down allowing you to over rotate into the top of the backswing. You don't have to rotate a ton to get a lot of SS and power I'll post a few videos on this later.

--> You might consider just making what FEELS like a 3/4 length backswing in terms of rotation keeping the left heel on the ground.

2) Once you are in a 3/4 rotation / swing FEEL, then you need to just slightly s*** weight and rotate your hips leaving the shoulders and hands passive in the first part of the down swing.

--> a lot of people like to feel that there lower body does nothing in the backswing and the upper body doesn't do a lot of work in the downswing.

3) find an instructor that will work with you on your one-plane swing. You might consider the RotarySwing.com guys using the RS1 model, it is a one-plane model for people that don't want to completely rework their swing into a hybrid type of swing in the RST model. I don't recommend a 100% rebuild, just fine tune what you have.

Here is a great one plane swing Jonathan Byrd

--> stable left leg backswing

--> less rotation in backswing

--> slight weight shift / hip rotation to start down swing

--> shoulders and arms look passive in downswing

--> pulls with the left side into impact

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

RP's advice is the best of all - honestly this is the first time that I've ever commented on a video of someone's swing but it was just so obvious.

It's not that bad really - your swing reminds me of a good friend of mine - It's fine except when he gets too closed.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

OK...all those comments make perfect sense. I actually didn't realize how closed my stance had gotten from "adjusting" to the pull. I'll start taking a square stance and getting the club back more vertical.

THANKS!!!

That's a common mistake a lot of people make. They start pulling the ball so they close the stance more and more, causing it to get worse rather than better because the stance changes at the bottom while the shoulders get more and more at a differing angle in relation to the feet. I've been guilty of it before myself.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

yes, of course you will get the best advice from a qualified pro. I assumed that if you didn't want the peanut gallery analysis you wouldn't have asked for it!

The peanut gallery has been extremely helpful!

I'm more the peanut gallery type of guy anyways ;)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Speaking of the peanut gallery...

Several in the gallery have mentioned they rarely post on swing videos. I get it...it's easy to do as much harm as good.....understandable. But.....many guys on MGS have an immense amount of knowledge about this crazy game. The selfless sharing of that knowledge is one of the things that makes this site great. Just sayin'.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

And that's generally how it is with golf - do the opposite of what you'd expect and things work out just fine. :)

I think I'm going to patent that and call it the George Costanza golfing method!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I try to give a disclaimer when I am about to say something that might effect someone's golf game in terms of advice and normally encourage then to find a local instructor.

I will however give some advice if I can relate or think it might help someone, they can always double check that advice with someone that is paid to do this for a living if the person wants a 2nd or 3rd opinion. That is the great thing about a forum, you'll get the two extremes in information... The complete bulls*** and the actual real stuff, sometimes it is just as hard to sift through the BS and figure out what is the good real info.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I try to give a disclaimer when I am about to say something that might effect someone's golf game in terms of advice and normally encourage then to find a local instructor.

I will however give some advice if I can relate or think it might help someone, they can always double check that advice with someone that is paid to do this for a living if the person wants a 2nd or 3rd opinion. That is the great thing about a forum, you'll get the two extremes in information... The complete bulls*** and the actual real stuff, sometimes it is just as hard to sift through the BS and figure out what is the good real info.

The same goes really for going to a PGA Professional to get a lesson. Different instructors have different theories on the golf swing and on the laws of ball flight and some dont even stay up to date on the latest theories and teaching methods, so in the end you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

And really, its not like this is rocket science. Just because someone hasn't been trained in swing alchemy doesn't mean they don't have something useful to say. Posting a video here is just a step removed from asking a buddy to take a look at your swing on the range and asking his opinion. I'm willing to try anything, but if it doesn't work or feel right its getting discarded immediately, I don't care if it's a pro or the guy up the street dispensing the advice.

If we were all smart, we'd have a swing video of ourselves when we were hitting the ball well! I have lots of vids of me hitting it like crap, but none of me exhibiting my driving range prowess! Would sure be useful to have the good swing to reference when things go bad.

The same goes really for going to a PGA Professional to get a lesson. Different instructors have different theories on the golf swing and on the laws of ball flight and some dont even stay up to date on the latest theories and teaching methods, so in the end you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure if you meant it the way you wrote it, and if you didn't, please don't be offended as I'm not trying to be the grammar police, BUT:

Different instructors do NOT get to have different opinions on ball flight LAWS. There is readily available SCIENCE on why the ball does what it does. If your instructor does not know it, RUN AWAY.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they are not entitled to their own facts.

I'm not sure if you meant it the way you wrote it, and if you didn't, please don't be offended as I'm not trying to be the grammar police, BUT:

Different instructors do NOT get to have different opinions on ball flight LAWS. There is readily available SCIENCE on why the ball does what it does. If your instructor does not know it, RUN AWAY.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they are not entitled to their own facts.

I agree. Ive still had instructors try to tell me that path determines where the ball starts and the face angle dictates where it spins from there. Even though theres tons of video evidence to the contrary, Ive had some try to teach me otherwise.

It seems I have been posting a lot of links to Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edge Consulting) blob lately, here is another one that I think is a most read dealing with the full swing. A Guide to Understanding your Golf Swing .

BK happens to be the one on the far left of the stick figure picture (one-plane swing), I was attempting to match some advice to what he feels his body does best and make small tweaks rather then complete over haul of the swing.

If we were all smart, we'd have a swing video of ourselves when we were hitting the ball well! I have lots of vids of me hitting it like crap, but none of me exhibiting my driving range prowess! Would sure be useful to have the good swing to reference when things go bad.

That is a fantastic idea!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

It seems I have been posting a lot of links to Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edge Consulting) blob lately, here is another one that I think is a most read dealing with the full swing. A Guide to Understanding your Golf Swing .

BK happens to be the one on the far left of the stick figure picture (one-plane swing), I was attempting to match some advice to what he feels his body does best and make small tweaks rather then complete over haul of the swing.

JM, that's a good article, and like you said, the way I swing does feel the most natural....to me. And you are absolutely right I want to make small changes whenever possible rather than completely change my swing (unless absolutely necessary).

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

So I played 18 yesterday. I decided to just go for it and make some small changes from the advice above. I set up square on every shot and concentrated on an easy swing. Casting seems to be the worst when I try to muscle the club around.

Anyway, the first 6 holes were an absolute disaster. +11 through the 6. I was either chunking it or hitting hard pulls. BUT....I stuck with it. Slowly things started to come around. I had to move the ball back to the middle of my stance for ALL clubs (don't know if that's bad or not, actually). After 9 I was +15. It was sad, really. But the ball was getting closer and closer the target line with each hole. I just kept taking a square stance and swinging easy. I played the back 9 in +5. That includes 2 penalty strokes for a couple drives that started straight but had a wee bit too much draw on them :D Don't misunderstand that as "I'm fixed"....I know better....the tendency is still left...but they were significantly closer to the target line...without adjusting my stance :)

I haven't videoed what the swing looks like now, but I'm on the right track (I think) ;)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Glad to hear it B.K., keep us posted!

As someone who has struggled with coming back to golf after 15 years I was doing exactly what you described at the start.

I was making 2 basic errors, 1. my left heel was coming off the ground in my back swing which also transferred my weight outside my right leg. This meant that for me to get my weight back and get the club around I was casting it over the top and closing the face at impact. 2. From the top of the back swing, because my weight was outside my right leg my first movement to start the down swing was to try and get my arms around so again casting.

I fixed my swing by doing these things,

1. Keep left heel on the ground at all times

2. At the top of the back swing I made sure that my right leg maintains pressure towards my left and not let my weight shift outside the right leg

3. To start my downswing I press my left knee towards my toe and with wrists hinged transition my arms to a position where my right elbow is in front of my right hip

I also use a single plain swing and the things above help me get the club to a position where my hands lead the club and I am unhingeing into impact.

I was at the driving range yesterday afternoon for my second session after implementing these steps and I am now driving bullets dead straight 260 metres

Not saying it is the perfect way to swing a club but it is working for me.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

• SPY VIP

Here's what I'm seeing...

Again...the camera angle is tough, but I don't see the degree of casting that others do. I'm also not necessarily concerned that hands come inside on your takeaway, the bigger issue is that they pull the club with them. Bear in mind, the club is not necessarily an extension of the hands, and what I try to do is bring my hands/arms slightly inside while keeping the clubface square to the target. It's not a precise explanation, but if you use extremely light grip pressure while doing some takeaway drill the club face should stay square and online with the target.

Basically what I see you doing is taking everything, hands, clubs, arms way inside, it's very difficult to tell from the video, but I think you may be rotating the clubface wide open on the takeaway (based on what I can see at the top of the swing).

All of this is secondary, because mostly what I see is way too much movement in the lower body. Chances are many of the swing issues are the result of having to compensate for pulling yourself out of position during your takeaway. Start with a stable platform, work on keeping that club from getting too far inside on the takeaway, and things should start to fall into place the rest of the way.

As Matt suggested...their are teaching philosophies and their are ball flight laws. The former is where there is room for opinion. The latter is bound by physics, and believe me, you don't want to work with anybody who believes his own theories supersede the immutable laws of the universe.

The guy who tells you to hit a draw, you need to rotate your hands through impact...avoid him.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived