Shots going left....

I've been having a similar problem the last few days, so I went to my pro and have him take a look at it.

Apparently, my right shoulder is overpowering my entire swing, so that after impact, my right shoulder ends up higher than my left shoulder on the finishing position. If you can picture that, my body is kind of tilted to the left and that is what's causing the pulls.

He gave me this drill: try to imitate Natalie Gulbis's swing. Force the right shoulder to stay low and your body slightly tilted to the right side after finish. This is really hard to achieve if you swing hard out of control (like me) since your right shoulder will follow your hard-swung arm upwards. This is a good reminder to not overswing.

After practicing this a few days, my pull is gone :D

This is just a suggestion that worked for me, so take it FWIW. Remember: I'm a hacker, not a pro! :D

Oh, and I agree about the close stance... to me it brought more harm than good.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

The irons are too upright for your swing plane.

The driver is too far forward in your stance for the flat plane.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

It's a 6 iron in both views.

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.0 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, March 2021
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B XS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

It's a 6 iron in both views.

I know.

There is nothing in your swing that would cause the ball to go left. In fact a swing never causes a directional problem it is always the club. The club is causing the ball to go left. so whta did you do to the club to make it go left? Nothing. There is no over the top motion in your swing, watch your let arm relative to your shoulders. That plus the hip slide (note the c position of leg to upper body at the top of the backswing and then the hard slide toward the target as you come down) action of your lower body blocks the over the top move as well.

so it has to be the club. My guess is that with a left miss you have worked hard to not close the club. It is not shut at the top so not likely to be shut at the bottom. tough to release the club enough when the hips are moving as fast as yours in the down swing. So the next logical assumption is irons are too upright.

Why do I think the driver is too far forward. Unless you do something different in your swing with your driver the laid off position at the top is an attempt to stop the ball from going left. look at any youtube video Tiger Woods when he worked with Hank Haney. So how does the ball go left. The flatter the swing plane the club moves left as it goes up. The farther the ball is forward in the stance the more your are past the bottom of the swing the more the club goes up. when you don't hit it left do you get a big slice?

Driver is played too far forward. ( sounds like you figured it out ) But how far back in your stance are you willing to move the ball to compensate for an upright lie angle?

Irons too upright driver too far forward. Common problem with shallow planed swings.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

So I am making the assumpiton you won't take my word for it. Fair enough you don't know me.

The following are two frames form your video same swing.

I measured hands to the ball in the first frame, and then copied the line exactly and moved it to the ball in the second picture. Note regardless of camera angle you are not over the top.

Now look at your right elbow under your left at impact. How do you get the club closed with your arms in the positon. Look at your right hand, still under the club. Look at the club face wide open just before impact.

Irons are too upright.swingplane.JPG

So I am making the assumpiton you won't take my word for it. Fair enough you don't know me.

Hey, I'm always open to thoughts and ideas! The driver comment threw me though. Anyway.....Can I just choke up an inch to see if the pull is reduced?

Now look at your right elbow under your left at impact. How do you get the club closed with your arms in the positon. Look at your right hand, still under the club. Look at the club face wide open just before impact.

No clue how it closes, but I don't slice. My miss is a pull, my bad miss is a pull with a draw.

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Hey, I'm always open to thoughts and ideas! The driver comment threw me though. Anyway.....Can I just choke up an inch to see if the pull is reduced?

No clue how it closes, but I don't slice. My miss is a pull, my bad miss is a pull with a draw.

My point is it doesn't close. Just irons that are too upright. This is a real point of contention with me. Swing changes to correct poor fitting equipment. The yellow line in the picture is 54 degrees. The bottom of the shaft is probably 53 degrees (shaft plane adjusted for toe drop). The standard 6 iron is 62? choking down a inch won't be enough.

The following are two frames form your video same swing.

I measured hands to the ball in the first frame, and then copied the line exactly and moved it to the ball in the second picture. Note regardless of camera angle you are not over the top.

Irons are too upright.swingplane.JPG

I think I would take your word for it word for it :)

Bruce, bargolf = Burnt Edges Consulting

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

This is a real point of contention with me. Swing changes to correct poor fitting equipment.

Hard to argue that. Like JMiller said, "there are different types of swings", and as long as I'm not swinging "bad", I'd much prefer to swing naturally.

The standard 6 iron is 62? choking down a inch won't be enough.

Yes.....the 6 iron in the video is a Nike TW Forged iron....62Ëš lie angle.

How flat should I try.....2Ëš or so? Probably easier for me to just buy a single iron to test since the nearest place to have irons bent is Minneapolis....2 hours away.

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I thought the choke down was a good idea, except it changes your spine angle at address. not a bad thing just something to keep in mind during the evaluation.

Is there someone with a Ping fitting cart closer to you? They would have two flat in an number of options. Titleist as well. Two hours is a tough drive for an experiment.

I would think at least 2 flat.

Good Luck.

You can find me on the internet if I can help any further. Golfspy Matt could help as well.

Bruce

I thought the choke down was a good idea, except it changes your spine angle at address. not a bad thing just something to keep in mind during the evaluation.

Is there someone with a Ping fitting cart closer to you? They would have two flat in an number of options. Titleist as well. Two hours is a tough drive for an experiment.

I would think at least 2 flat.

Good Luck.

You can find me on the internet if I can help any further. Golfspy Matt could help as well.

Bruce

Sounds like a plan! Thanks Bruce!

BK

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

There's a little something you can do on your own to verify/check to see if your lie angles are off. Next time you're hitting balls, use one of those magic marker line drawing things to put a straight line on the ball. Place the ball such that it's facing away from the target line, perpendicular to the ground and the grooves on your irons. Basically you want the line to transfer to your clubface.

It's importnat that the line be dead straight up and down. Hit a few balls. If the line on your club face is straight or damn near so, your lie angle is fine and something else is going on. If the line is noticeably less than straight, then as Bruce suspects, your lie angles needs to be adjusted.

The new thinking among many credible instructors in fitters is that lie boards lie. Lie boards don't show you where the club is at impact, they show you where the club head is immediately after impact, which is not the same thing.

The sharpie and a line trick is something you can do on your own. It's going to be difficult for you to know whether it's 1 degree or 2, but it will certainly verify one way or another if an adjustment is needed.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The sharpie and a line trick is something you can do on your own. It's going to be difficult for you to know whether it's 1 degree or 2, but it will certainly verify one way or another if an adjustment is needed.

I tried several shots with several different clubs. This picture is pretty consistently the angle I was getting. I added the black line for picture enhancement.

IMG_3826.JPG

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Is the line straight up and down on the club face? The line should be up perpendicular as opposed to parallel to the grooves. I woul normall expect a bigger mark.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I lined the ball up horizontal. I'll go hit a few perpendicular.

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Ya, that leaves a much bigger mark.

IMG_3827.JPG

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag

It's a 7i. Flight was slightly high, straight, and about 10-15 yards left of target.

In my bag, March 2021

Sun Mountain Cart Bag