Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Trade-In Value

Everybody trades their clubs in at some point. Why shouldn't every consumer want maximum trade in value when they buy their next set? I think its a consideration not many golfers think about, but end up being sorry they didn't, when making a buying decision.

Major OEM's with best resale/trade-in value (compared to orig cost):

Ping

Callaway

Mizuno

Titleist/Scotty Cameron

Tour Edge (Exotics Only)

Major OEM's with the worst resale/trade-in value (compared to orig cost):

Taylormade

Adams

Wilson

Tour Edge (Except Exotics Line)

MacGregor

Everybody else falls in between:

Nike

Cleveland

Bridgestone

Cobra

Srixon

Note: These are my opinions and not based on some exhaustive analysis of PGA resale values, etc. BTW, I only included brands commonly available in US retail locations. Obviously, there are a number of Japanese brands like Muira, Honma, etc. that I didn't list.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I don't really worry about it because I keep my clubs for quite a while. Plus, I like to horde my old wedges so I can use them to practice. I do sell back old woods so I can get a little money off, but I buy clubs that work well for me, not based on retail value because after a couple of seasons nothing is going to be worth much anyway.

I don't really worry about it because I keep my clubs for quite a while. Plus, I like to horde my old wedges so I can use them to practice. I do sell back old woods so I can get a little money off, but I buy clubs that work well for me, not based on retail value because after a couple of seasons nothing is going to be worth much anyway.

Not true in all cases. I bought a set of lightly used Ping WRX I3 irons, used them for a couple of seasons, and then sold them for more than I paid for them.

It's good that you keep your clubs for a while, but I'd say that isn't typical of the members on this forum.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Not true in all cases. I bought a set of lightly used Ping WRX I3 irons, used them for a couple of seasons, and then sold them for more than I paid for them.

It's good that you keep your clubs for a while, but I'd say that isn't typical of the members on this forum.

Probably right, most people on here get new clubs often. Irons are sort of an anomaly though, they aren't really like woods.

• SPY VIP

The club ho thread... :lol:

This all comes down to econ again. Mainly on the demand side. There is a demand for the ones on the top section of your list and not so much for the others.

One example for me is with buying putters in the search to find the one. Buying a used Cameron is never a risk, because the value is stable. New, not so much. Assume that the 300 putter will fall under 200 quickly.

Most of the time, because I look for bargains in the first place, used gear can be flipped for a profit.

Not everyone will care about the depreciation, having experienced new car value drop as one leaves the lot, but some one unsure about keeping a club for the long haul will look at this for sure.

or they should...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm in line with Jamo, I keep my clubs forever. If I can sell them afterwards (assuming I want to), anything I get is a bonus.

I agree that golf forum members trade their clubs in a lot, but do average golfers trade them in much? I think average golfers are pretty happy to buy a club, keep it for some years of weekend hacking, then buying another one. On this point, I think TM is great because you can always go buy a club that's really good, that's 2-3 cycles old, that is at a great price.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

What I found that works the best for me as a Callaway player is to sell my used stuff on ebay but I never buy there (too many fakes).

I then buy everything from Callaway Preowned. If you buy there and only pick items that are listed as "like new" you get new items in many cases or at least items that are in fact like new. I never buy new to save. Let the first owner pay take the loss. I bought my current driver, FT-9 Imix from the preowned site "like new" and it came new, still in the box with labels. Same with shafts, new in the box with labels. I bought the head for $119, which saved me at least $200 and shafts were around $75 each and these are all still current items at Callaway.

You can always get more selling something outright than you will trading with any OEM, or at least that has been the case for me.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

• SPY VIP

I am sure most of you know about this but maybe you didn't...might come in handy as a bookmark someday :lol:

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/brand/2768/b/Titleist

http://partner.globalgolf.com/pricebook/default.aspx?bid=1

#TruthDigest

I have all the clubs I bought since my reentry into golf in 1989 with two exceptions.

I gave a friend a complete set of clubs for painting three rooms in my house while I was on vacation. He wouldn't take any money. I also loaned a set to a neighbor's 16 year old who returned the set with a broken carry bag, a broken putter and a missing sand wedge. It was "my fault" according to his parents for lending the kid such a nice set. We never spoke to them again, LOL.

I only have three sets in the garage at present along with several old drivers and a bunch of bags. I'd rather give them away than trade them in for next to nothing.

The irons I'm using are five years old with around 600 rounds on them.

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

I am sure most of you know about this but maybe you didn't...might come in handy as a bookmark someday ;)

Thanks MGS, I didn't know about the second one. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I also loaned a set to a neighbor's 16 year old who returned the set with a broken carry bag, a broken putter and a missing sand wedge. It was "my fault" according to his parents for lending the kid such a nice set. We never spoke to them again, LOL.

Welcome to your new career as a high school teacher Bob. ;)

No wonder most teachers quit in the first 5 years.

>

Volvo Intorqueo

I am sure most of you know about this but maybe you didn't...might come in handy as a bookmark someday :)

http://valueguide.pg...2768/b/Titleist

http://partner.globa...ault.aspx?bid=1

These are great resources and I always use them for buying and selling.

I have all the clubs I bought since my reentry into golf in 1989 with two exceptions.

I gave a friend a complete set of clubs for painting three rooms in my house while I was on vacation. He wouldn't take any money. I also loaned a set to a neighbor's 16 year old who returned the set with a broken carry bag, a broken putter and a missing sand wedge. It was "my fault" according to his parents for lending the kid such a nice set. We never spoke to them again, LOL.

I only have three sets in the garage at present along with several old drivers and a bunch of bags. I'd rather give them away than trade them in for next to nothing.

The irons I'm using are five years old with around 600 rounds on them.

Sorry to hear about that kid. I like to give clubs away too, my brother has a bag full of my old clubs and now I'm starting on my friends. Giving them clubs gives me people to play golf with, so it's a good thing for me.

I am sure most of you know about this but maybe you didn't...might come in handy as a bookmark someday :rolleyes:

I've used both of those, and they -- together with the "in-house" values some companies insist on using -- just show it's best to sell used clubs yourself. I swear...it's like buying a new car and driving off the lot, making a U-turn and pulling back in and you lose your shirt.

• SPY VIP

I've used both of those, and they -- together with the "in-house" values some companies insist on using -- just show it's best to sell used clubs yourself. I swear...it's like buying a new car and driving off the lot, making a U-turn and pulling back in and you lose your shirt.

I like the expected selling price too for posting my used gear on craigslist to sell. having a KBB for clubs is very helpful.

Iphone access to valuguide has saved me from some un-wise potential buys.

Volvo Intorqueo

I like the expected selling price too for posting my used gear on craigslist to sell. having a KBB for clubs is very helpful.

Iphone access to valuguide has saved me from some un-wise potential buys.

It's definitely a good "Slow down" button when you see something that you think is an awesome price. Take a deep breath, click the Value Guide and reassess.

I never "trade-in" clubs. Ever. 99% of the time you're being taken to the cleaners and in this day and age, it's just as easy to offload them to people who will actually use them and appreciate getting a good deal.

I resell clubs on BST forums or Craigslist. Sometimes eBay.

I've always at least made an attempt to get every dollar back on my stuff that I can, which I then apply towards the new stuff.

I had a mint condition (see: unplayed) Titleist 905 driver with a brand new GS YS6+ shaft in it with headcover and Golfsmith said they could give me 15 dollars for it. They have the same shaft on the wall for $70.00. I put it on CL the next day and sold it for $65 dollars in 5 minutes.

I never "trade-in" clubs. Ever. 99% of the time you're being taken to the cleaners and in this day and age, it's just as easy to offload them to people who will actually use them and appreciate getting a good deal.

I've always at least made an attempt to get every dollar back on my stuff that I can, which I then apply towards the new stuff.

I had a mint condition (see: unplayed) Titleist 905 driver with a brand new GS YS6+ shaft in it with headcover and Golfsmith said they could give me 15 dollars for it. They have the same shaft on the wall for $70.00. I put it on CL the next day and sold it for $65 dollars in 5 minutes.

It is true that golf superstores low ball you, but that's what you give for the added convenience. To me, it's worth it. To some, it's not.

As frustrating as this is, you have to recognize that they have a problem too: a $70 driver on their wall that isn't moving.

You've got the right attitude, cut out the middle man, get the club directly to someone who is going to use it. Makes more money for you, while still saving them a few bucks.

It is true that golf superstores low ball you, but that's what you give for the added convenience. To me, it's worth it. To some, it's not.

In my experiences with the trade-in values given by the big stores, I'd almost rather drive over it with my car than give them something for $15 that they are gonna turn around and sell for $50-$75. I don't mind them making a profit, but they're like car dealers wanting to rip you on both ends of the deal.

• SPY VIP

In my experiences with the trade-in values given by the big stores, I'd almost rather drive over it with my car than give them something for $15 that they are gonna turn around and sell for $50-$75. I don't mind them making a profit, but they're like car dealers wanting to rip you on both ends of the deal.

I too have had the well I'll just keep it then moment in the shops.

CL is so my friend for moving gear...

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm with you. I put an eBay lens on everything (buy or sell). The big box retailers just don't give anything on trade - even when they are running "30% more for your trade" deals. 30% of nothing is still nothing.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I'm with you. I put an eBay lens on everything (buy or sell). The big box retailers just don't give anything on trade - even when they are running "30% more for your trade" deals. 30% of nothing is still nothing.

Valueguide is a great too for the garage sale hunting though. Sometimes if I find a club for $5 at a sale that I can get $25 trade or about $40 selling, I do just take the trade for convenience. Still a fine margin.

Buying normal used or new though, trade-in is death.

Volvo Intorqueo

Valueguide is a great too for the garage sale hunting though. Sometimes if I find a club for $5 at a sale that I can get $25 trade or about $40 selling, I do just take the trade for convenience. Still a fine margin.

Buying normal used or new though, trade-in is death.

Somebody needs to create an Android/iPhone app for that.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Somebody needs to create an Android/iPhone app for that.

safari works just fine, as opposed to buying it and going home to find out it is not worth anything :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

Well of course, I do the same thing in that situation. I wanted to sell my Nike Unitized but they only offered me $15 so I said no. Mostly because they had one on sale for $100, but I decided to keep it. Usually the difference is not that large though.

Archived