Buying 64* Wedge!

Flv02

Hey Everyone,

I am in need of a 64* wedge. I have a 60 and a 62, but the 62 is too close in yardage with the 60. Normally I would not buy any clubs only 2* apart, but I was able to get it for free, so I thought, why not? I actually ended up using it for every shot inside of 75 yards. But it is time for a change. I am looking for a 64* preferably new, but will buy used depending on how the pictures look. Thanks in advance!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

You could always have the 62 bent to 64 and see how you like it.

I was always a Titleist fan. Tried others but did not like them but now I have the Mizuno mp t 11.s and like them a lot. I have gotten to where I use the 56 mostly. 51 is used for full and almost full shots 110- 115 range. 64 for no green to work with. And 56 if I can not bump and run.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Hey Frank,

Do you really NEED it? Last season I played with a 60* and a 64*

Both clubs had a nice gap, but I was not very consistent with them. I realized anything over 58* takes too much practice to master.

So now I go

50* for full shots about 100 yards

54* as my SW, full shots about 90 yards and those bump and runs that require 50% air and 50% roll

58* for full shots about 80 yards and marked my own distances with 3/4 swings, half swings and choking down 1" or 2" respectively. At first it's hard to control distances with partial shots, but I realized I wasn't skulling shots anymore (or that much).

And you can always open it for flop shots.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

I love the 64* wedge, but having carried one on and off for the last 4 years or so, I've come to believe it's golf's equivalent of a horse for the course. I still own one (actually 2), but I don't use it at my home course, and most of the other courses in my area. If I'm playing Saratoga National, however; then it goes into the bag.

The reason is that National has several elevated greens with fairly steep drop-offs around them. Several more greens are protected by mounds and bunkers. Greens are sloped and fast. All of this translates to several situations throughout the course of the round where I need to hit the ball high and land it soft.

I don't know what your divots look like on full swings, but generally speaking most 64 degree wedges max out at around 7* of bounce. This makes it great for the type of shots I described...where there is real benefit from opening up the clubface, however; I'm what some like to call a digger, and the low bounce can cause me problems on full swings.

I won't tell you not to buy one...hell, I love the 64*...it's my favorite club, but for most of us, practical applications are limited. Assuming you do decide to move forward, here's my personal *buying guide* if you will.

Avoid C-Grinds...they look cool, and they do prove more versatile in certain situations, but...you're likely already dealing with a lower bounce situation, and you're going to want that bit of leading edge for fuller fairway shots. Look for something with more trailing edge and heel relief as those designs will give you more flexibility to manipulate the face when you need to.

Of the 64* wedges I have, I still prefer the older Callaway X-Forged. I love the feel of the Mizuno MP-T11, but the grind makes it very difficult to hit well on a full swing from the the fairway.

Other thoughts on the subject...

Normally I'd agree with Rick (bend one to see if you like it), but with the 64* the added bounce is going to impact your ability to manipulate the face around the green. Now...if you find you need more bounce, and the grind is versatile enough to survive the extra 2*, then bending might be the solution.

You will fail miserably on every shot you don't fully commit to. To an extent that's true of most any shot, but there is less margin for error. If you need to hit the high soft flop, you have to trust and believe that the same swing that allows you to hit your sand wedge 100 yards will only get you 20 with a 64*. Back off a little, sneak a peak...any mistake and you will be punished...severely.

An example: last season I had the 64* in the bag at my home course. I was playing with two of our testers. The 14th is a relatively easy hole, however; the green has a severe incline/slope (the fringe is probably a solid 12 feet higher than the low spot on the green). I rolled my 2nd up the incline and came to rest 6 inches into the fringe, short-sided to the pin. Initially I reached for the 64* but ultimately decided the putter was my best option. I tapped it perfectly with just enough speed to get out of the fringe...it rolled 20 feet past the hole.

There was nobody behind us, so the 3 of us decided to mess around a little and see if we could get it close. They couldn't do it with their putter or their wedges. My 64*, however;...I took a wide stance, opened the face up as much as I possibly could, focused on sliding the wedge under the ball (like I didn't actually want to hit it), and swung like I was trying to hit my sand wedge to the edge of its range. The ball came out perfectly...landed near the bottom of the slope, bounced once and stopped an inch from the hole. Realistically, that's a 1 in 100 shot, and had any part of it gone wrong I'd have been in big trouble.

Best case I flub it, and in this particular case, roll past the pin. More often than not, however; the miss with the 64 is to put the leading edge into the ball, and I don't have to tell you, bad things will always happen when you do that.

So...in summary. Buy it, but do so with the understanding that the 64* is the very definition of risk / reward.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

To me the only club harder to hit consistantly than a 64 wedge is a 3 wood from 235+. Thypically, hitting a 3 wood from way far out will result in the need to hit a 64 from way close in. A much better choice to me is 7 iron/Pitching Wedge.

I still carry the 64 and at one time it was my primary weapon in close but it is a last resort club now, just like the 3 wood.

When I bought the new 56 Mizzie last month I gave carefull consideration to getting a 58 instead and dropping the 60 and 64 all together. And adding more longer clubs. But in the end I decided that I had all my gaps pretty well covered and would much rather have a gap at 230+ range and just still have the 64 to use when I had to.

But like I said in the first response, you can have the 62 bent 2 degrees for $5 and see if kittens and rainbows will fall from the sky for you or not.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I've never been brave enough to carry a 64*, I'm afraid I'd think I could use it! I dabbled with a 60* for a bit but wasn't consistent enough with it and it didn't work with my yardage gaps. I now carry a 58*, 54*, 50* and that is working well.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I've never been brave enough to carry a 64*, I'm afraid I'd think I could use it! I dabbled with a 60* for a bit but wasn't consistent enough with it and it didn't work with my yardage gaps. I now carry a 58*, 54*, 50* and that is working well.

That's what I carry too. I've found that "Mickelson's" hinge & hold very accurate & effective inside a full swing 58Ëš anyway....hence no need for any higher lofted wedge....for me that is.

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.0 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, March 2021
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B XS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

First off, I want to thank everyone for all of your thoughts.

This might sound strange coming from someone with a handicap as high as mine, but I have never had a problem with my wedge game. My problems are not there. Sure, maybe I can hit it a little closer, but can't we all? My handicap is as high as it is because of either two things. One, "The Big Miss." I would say at least once per round, when I am teeing off, no matter what club I am using, a hook will appear and put me into trouble. Two, fat and thin shots. Mostly it is fat. I do not know why. It usually happens when I try to put a little bit extra or I am worried about a hazard. I did my best to start playing with scratch golfers this season. Now that it has been three years, I figured I would not embarrass myself too much playing with them. They always tell me that I should not worry about putting extra distance on any shot. They say that I hit the ball long enough to not worry. I guess I am just stubborn. It has been my ability with my wedges that have saved my scores. While my playing partners are scared to hit their lob wedges, I am confident. If I get to lob wedge or 62* range, I am aiming at the pin and it will be a good shot. I have never had a problem hitting any of the wedges. I don't know why, but I haven't. That's why I have been looking for a 64*, but NO ONE HAS A SINGLE 64* WEDGE ANYWHERE AROUND HERE. I went to all of the courses and every sporting shop. Nothing. GolfSpy T, thanks for the buying guide. I really appreciate it. As you can see from my signature, my 62* is one of the old Callaway X-Forged, and I love it. And I use Mickelson's hinge and hold like BK. I guess the success I have it with my 62* has me wanting even more. If I could use a 64* to make fly higher and land softer, that would be even more amazing. Thanks again everyone!

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Would I be able to bend the wedge myself? If so I will probably make a topic in the DIY section to learn. Right now, I plan on bending to try it, and then buying one if that does not work out for me.

Would I be able to bend the wedge myself? If so I will probably make a topic in the DIY section to learn. Right now, I plan on bending to try it, and then buying one if that does not work out for me.

You can have it bent, it's like $3 to $5 for loft / lie adjustment per club. Just remember that for about 1* of loft change changes the bounce about 1*, so if you have a 62-08 for example bending it 2* weak turns it into roughly a 64-10. If you go 2* strong it would end up as a 60-06.

I'm not sure that you are picky about you bounces on wedge but I am so I sort of want a particular bounce per wedge.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

That is going to put me at 64/11. I don't think that would be a problem. I am a digger as it is so the higher bounce might be better for me.

Bend machines aren't cheap and the cheap ones apparently aren't very good. I always go to GolfTown which uses Mitchel bending machines rather than GolfGalaxy which uses Golfworks stuff.

A Mitchel refurb will run you $800 plus the cost to bolt it into a concrete floor, so at $5 a club, you'd have to bend 160 clubs before you come out even on just the price of the unit.

That is going to put me at 64/11. I don't think that would be a problem. I am a digger as it is so the higher bounce might be better for me.

digger, average, slider refer to full swings only... doesn't really tell you what conditions a bounce works well in when the face is open and you are hitting touch shots, that's where course conditions and lie of the ball come into play.

Low Bounce = hard conditions / slider

Medium Bounce = either way / average

High Bounce = soft conditions / digger

For me a high bounce wedge won't work unless it is super wet soil or very fluffy sand bunker like FL white powder bunkers.

For me a low bounce wedge works best on tight lies, hard packed bunkers, it is great for getting the leading edge under the ball in a lot of dicey stations.

For me a medium bounce wedge sort of fills more into the high end more then the low end of bounce.

If you have a good short game vary your bounces in the wedges. I carry a GW, SW, LW so I'll just use my lofts as an example.

LW 60* ~ low bounce ~ I use 4* or 5*

SW 56* ~ medium to high bounce ~ I use 10 to 12*

GW 52* ~ what ever is stock most time it's 8* roughly

If I find myself in a sitation where I need a lot of bounce the 56* comes out opened up to about 60* and make the play from their. If I need a shot that sort of picks it off a tight like the 60* comes out opened to about 62 to 64* and slide that leading edge under the ball. With good touch you can use the bounce on different wedge to your advantage. I even play my 52* out of bunkers at times with low lips and a lot of green to work with.

Just food for thought on picking a wedge set up it is more a personal preference on wedge makeup for everyone.

Of course I have a Nike VR Pro Black Oxide 60-06 that I had the heel ground down to have about 0* of bounce when the face is open, i could pick that wedge of a cart path without thinning it. So I guess I am used to a super low bounce wedge in my highest lofted wedge.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

64/11 is probably going to be too much (by more than a little). 11 likely won't allow you to open the wedge up enough to get maximum benefit out of the wedge.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

digger, average, slider refer to full swings only... doesn't really tell you what conditions a bounce works well in when the face is open and you are hitting touch shots, that's where course conditions and lie of the ball come into play.

Low Bounce = hard conditions / slider

Medium Bounce = either way / average

High Bounce = soft conditions / digger

For me a high bounce wedge won't work unless it is super wet soil or very fluffy sand bunker like FL white powder bunkers.

For me a low bounce wedge works best on tight lies, hard packed bunkers, it is great for getting the leading edge under the ball in a lot of dicey stations.

For me a medium bounce wedge sort of fills more into the high end more then the low end of bounce.

If you have a good short game vary your bounces in the wedges. I carry a GW, SW, LW so I'll just use my lofts as an example.

LW 60* ~ low bounce ~ I use 4* or 5*

SW 56* ~ medium to high bounce ~ I use 10 to 12*

GW 52* ~ what ever is stock most time it's 8* roughly

If I find myself in a sitation where I need a lot of bounce the 56* comes out opened up to about 60* and make the play from their. If I need a shot that sort of picks it off a tight like the 60* comes out opened to about 62 to 64* and slide that leading edge under the ball. With good touch you can use the bounce on different wedge to your advantage. I even play my 52* out of bunkers at times with low lips and a lot of green to work with.

Just food for thought on picking a wedge set up it is more a personal preference on wedge makeup for everyone.

Of course I have a Nike VR Pro Black Oxide 60-06 that I had the heel ground down to have about 0* of bounce when the face is open, i could pick that wedge of a cart path without thinning it. So I guess I am used to a super low bounce wedge in my highest lofted wedge.

Okay that makes sense. I am in no rush since I am going to school next week, so I will not be golfing nearly as much. I guess I'll wait until the holiday season and then just a complete new set.3 different wedges, 3 different bounces for 3 different situations. No one ever taught me about bounce so this discussion has been extremely beneficial to me.