TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tour Staff Contest Update

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Here we go guys...there are still a few more days to get your entries and votes in for the first round. The staff has not even begun to discuss our 5 picks, but here are the top 11 based on votes. Remember, the top 5 automatically go through to the next round. There are a couple of well-known names on this list. It's not too late to vote for your buddies if you know you're not going to make it through.

contestupdate.png

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update T - I knew it was very close for those last few spots. Can you tell us if the votes will reset for the next round or do we keep our totals heading onward - should we advance?

Good luck everyone and thanks MyGolfSpy for this great contest.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wow that's quick - thanks time to do some politcing just in case. ;)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, good luck to all the people that make round 2...

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

Are all those "legal" entries? I know at least one person that was ahead of me had like 150 words. Just curious. Kev's is pretty impressive, but this James guy.......what the hell??? Does he just have a ton of friends that sit around and do nothing?

These haven't been put through the Word Counting formula yet, and truth be told, I haven't read through the recent top 10 to know for certain if there are too many words. That said +/- 105 words will be the absolute cutoff, so if they're over, they won't make it.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

personally, I gave up once I realised that it was more a Facebook popularity contest than a content relevancy contest :-)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

In regards to James I'm not sure who he is - lots of us use names on the forum that are different enough to not know - I will say it's impressive to see how his vote total has risen daily - it takes work to keep on your friends without hounding them too much - he deserves his position.

Bummed to know I have to sweat out another day of wondering whether mine makes it - I count 101 words in it. I made the stupid assumption when I wrote it that there would be an automatic counter. By the time I realized there wasn't it was late in the game - I already had some 30 or more votes and was affraid to toss them out. In retrospect I could have -

Poor course management on my part. :(

Please be kind Matt - Now that my son's sub is in I have some more potential golfers to deliever to the altar of MGS. And I'd still prefer my serious submission to the one that my friends have been voting for. :)

Good luck everyone regardless

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

personally, I gave up once I realised that it was more a Facebook popularity contest than a content relevancy contest :-)

You are not alone in that thought, I am sure there are others that feel the exact same way.

I appreciate everything MGS does and the prize packages they give out, I am a From Member of the Month (FMOM) winner so I can't say much other then I never received my T-Shirt :lol:, I had to poke at T a little there.

I personally think FB as the host for the contest is more then acceptable. The exact rules on how FB voting gets 1st and 2nd place boggles my mind. I would have assumed that 3rd place would get the popularity vote win. and the 1st and 2nd would have been a panel of MGS staff to crown the "Tour Staff Member". I said this once before in another topic and got meet with hostility for just expressing my opinion on how I would tweak the contest. I think even when this started I didn't fully know the rules until 1/2 way into it. Once I figured out that it was not for MGS to be productive and just a popularity contest for gear I was like you and felt deflated and sort of started avoiding everything to do with the contest.

I just wanted to be a little PR with my original post because I know this is a great thing for some people out there that need / want the free stuff. I am just not that motivated to get votes since I don't really need / want much of the prize stuff... The MGS bag would be bad a$$ and the wedges, depending on the hybrid model might use those, the rest of it would get auctioned off or donated to the first tee that I knew I wouldn't be using if I wore to win. I figure someone out their needs the stuff more then I do.

So like I said once before in an attempt to be positive for the contest as a whole in giving away free gear... Good luck to those people that make round 2 voting...

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

What I like is that the "right" guys(ie., good guys) are in there from the forum....I know MGS has to be objective & impartial, however I don't have to be....Now I'm gonna try to get mine in....Then, let the b*tching begin...lol.....

The very Best to you all....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Haha, well said, my thoughts exactly :)

I see revkev, jbones, and stevenhw on that list, it'll make my life a lot easier if only one of them makes it :lol:

You are not alone in that thought, I am sure there are others that feel the exact same way.

I appreciate everything MGS does and the prize packages they give out, I am a From Member of the Month (FMOM) winner so I can't say much other then I never received my T-Shirt :lol:, I had to poke at T a little there.

I personally think FB as the host for the contest is more then acceptable. The exact rules on how FB voting gets 1st and 2nd place boggles my mind. I would have assumed that 3rd place would get the popularity vote win. and the 1st and 2nd would have been a panel of MGS staff to crown the "Tour Staff Member". I said this once before in another topic and got meet with hostility for just expressing my opinion on how I would tweak the contest. I think even when this started I didn't fully know the rules until 1/2 way into it. Once I figured out that it was not for MGS to be productive and just a popularity contest for gear I was like you and felt deflated and sort of started avoiding everything to do with the contest.

I just wanted to be a little PR with my original post because I know this is a great thing for some people out there that need / want the free stuff. I am just not that motivated to get votes since I don't really need / want much of the prize stuff... The MGS bag would be bad a$$ and the wedges, depending on the hybrid model might use those, the rest of it would get auctioned off or donated to the first tee that I knew I wouldn't be using if I wore to win. I figure someone out their needs the stuff more then I do.

So like I said once before in an attempt to be positive for the contest as a whole in giving away free gear... Good luck to those people that make round 2 voting...

I have nothing against the use of FB, and in fact I very much agree with the reasons both spoken and unspoken for doing so. My conclusion came more from the need to hound your 'FB Friends' to get votes to get there. At the end of the day, I like the precept, but I never had a chance of winning :-).

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Wow that's quick - thanks time to do some politcing just in case. ;)

It will be interesting to hear your sermon this week. For some reason, I am thinking back to the Catholics, Conquistadors, and the Aztecs and Incas. Well, you already introduced pneumonia to you congregation. :P

The most impressive thing was that many people figured out how to vote. I keep having people like it on my facebood page but do not go over and increase my votes. In spite of the fact it tells them how to do it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Are all those "legal" entries? I know at least one person that was ahead of me had like 150 words. Just curious. Kev's is pretty impressive, but this James guy.......what the hell??? Does he just have a ton of friends that sit around and do nothing?

I'm James R from the contest. I promise there is nothing shady from my voting. I have what I felt is a good idea for this site and have been able to get my facebook friends to support it. I post the link to vote daily on my page and ask them to vote. I frequent this site as well as golfwrx and puttertalk for reviews before I buy any new equipment. I don't really post here, occasionally on golfwrx but I have a 4 and 2 year old so as soon as I sit down I'm pulled away from the computer. I think the contest was a great idea, I'm sure they may do some things different next time but it is what it is this time. I would love to win but if I don't it's not the end of the world. I can say I have def spent more time on this site since the contest started and that was prob a goal in having the contest. I would most certainly spend more time if they were to implement my idea. I think it's to hard to keep up with golf travel deals by yourself. If they were condensed it would be very nice and bring exposure to the site. I try to go on a trip every year and searching for the best deals and planning it are always tedious unless u go through a booking agency. I wish everyone luck in the contest!!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm James R from the contest. I promise there is nothing shady from my voting. I have what I felt is a good idea for this site and have been able to get my facebook friends to support it. I post the link to vote daily on my page and ask them to vote. I frequent this site as well as golfwrx and puttertalk for reviews before I buy any new equipment. I don't really post here, occasionally on golfwrx but I have a 4 and 2 year old so as soon as I sit down I'm pulled away from the computer. I think the contest was a great idea, I'm sure they may do some things different next time but it is what it is this time. I would love to win but if I don't it's not the end of the world. I can say I have def spent more time on this site since the contest started and that was prob a goal in having the contest. I would most certainly spend more time if they were to implement my idea. I think it's to hard to keep up with golf travel deals by yourself. If they were condensed it would be very nice and bring exposure to the site. I try to go on a trip every year and searching for the best deals and planning it are always tedious unless u go through a booking agency. I wish everyone luck in the contest!!!

First off, welcome to the forum.

Second, I wasn't trying to imply any wrong doing, just saying your friends are much more "loyal" than mine.

Third, what part of KY are you from?

Fourth, good luck to you as well.

Welcome James and good luck!

Wow. Can't believe that I made this list. Not bad for a guy who joined Facebook for this contest despite my years of self righteous grandstanding against it. But who cares, what better way to toss out ones convictions for a chance at these awesome prices. I am incredibly grateful to all the Golf Spy staff for the opporotunity. I am having a blast and just hoping to make it to the next round. Regardless, I am still going to be a reader for life.

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.molchan

Wow. Can't believe that I made this list. Not bad for a guy who joined Facebook for this contest despite my years of self righteous grandstanding against it. But who cares, what better way to toss out ones convictions for a chance at these awesome prices. I am incredibly grateful to all the Golf Spy staff for the opporotunity. I am having a blast and just hoping to make it to the next round. Regardless, I am still going to be a reader for life.

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.molchan

Sorry, no Boilermakers allowed. Didn't you see that in the fine print?

First off, welcome to the forum.

Second, I wasn't trying to imply any wrong doing, just saying your friends are much more "loyal" than mine.

Third, what part of KY are you from?

Fourth, good luck to you as well.

Thanks, I'm from a small town called Hawesville but live in Owensboro. It's right across the river from Evansville, IN. How about you?

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I wrote perhaps the most eloquent piece of literature to ever grace the pages of the internet. But sadly it looks like I'll finish a few spots short of the top five.

Your screen name is very classy though, love me some South Park...

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Welcome James and good luck!

Thanks a bunch!!!

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Thanks, I'm from a small town called Hawesville but live in Owensboro. It's right across the river from Evansville, IN. How about you?

I'm in Evansville, moved here from Owensboro (grew up in IL). My wife went to Wesleyan. Alright, so when you win this thing (because it's looking that way) we're going to have to get together to play, so I can see all your goodies.

I'm in Evansville, moved here from Owensboro (grew up in IL). My wife went to Wesleyan. Alright, so when you win this thing (because it's looking that way) we're going to have to get together to play, so I can see all your goodies.

Small world!!! Have u played Vic? I got to play it once last fall and it was amazing!!! What kind of work u do? I'm an RN and work 12 hour shifts, gives me a couple days to play during the week. Until the kids get a little older anyway...

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

And far from winning it, hope to keep accumulating them though. Be happy to play sometime!!! Actually playing in the Fendrich amateur on sept 8 and a scramble at Cambridge on the 19th.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

And far from winning it, hope to keep accumulating them though. Be happy to play sometime!!! Actually playing in the Fendrich amateur on sept 8 and a scramble at Cambridge on the 19th.

I just turned in my Fendrich Am form today. Did you play in the Tri State Am? I haven't played Vic, but I caddied for my cousin who played in the Nationwide event pro-am. Is Ben Hawes still in good shape, I played that course about 4 times a week when I lived there (and before I had kids).

I just turned in my Fendrich Am form today. Did you play in the Tri State Am? I haven't played Vic, but I caddied for my cousin who played in the Nationwide event pro-am. Is Ben Hawes still in good shape, I played that course about 4 times a week when I lived there (and before I had kids).

Fendrich is the 1st tourney I've really played in. Playing with D Vanover if u know him, he played a KWC one year and L Maxwell I think. Ben Hawes is in great shape this year, I live about a mile from it. If ur willing to shell out the $140, might be able to get u on Vic if u want one of these days. One of our reps is a member and said he would take me but I can't spend that much on a round of golf too often. Actually supposed to play it Fri but my brother gets married sat so I had to pass...

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm in the same boat as you (two young ones), so I don't get the time to enjoy paying $140 for a round of golf. I play the Evansville city courses and Rolling Hills the most; I actually live in Newburgh, about 1.5 miles from Victoria.

I hear Rolling Hills is great, I play Quail and Cambridge mostly over there. I have a buddy that is member at OCC but it's usually Hawes for me. I'll message sometime if we don't have a 4th at Hawes and u can join us if u want.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived