Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Annual ProShop Credit Dilemma

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

This is my 3rd season at my club. Like I'm guessing most anywhere else, tournament prizes, league prizes, men's association prizes, and basically any prize that isn't Calcutta money (if such a thing as a Calcutta existed) gets paid out as pro shop credit.

My first year I did pretty well. I managed to rack up about $230 in pro shop credit. I posted this same dilemma then, and based on my needs and recommendations, I bought a Clicgear.

Last year I had what I'd consider to be a down year. My team finished 2nd in the ABCD tournament, I picked up some miscellaneous league and association stuff, but really didn't do exceptionally well. I spent the money a pair of shorts, a few pair of socks, and 4 gloves.

This year I'm having a very good year. My team finished 2nd in the ABCD tournament. I won my flight in the club championship. I tied 1st in the member/member. We finished 4th in the first half of the match play league, and 4th overall. I won the 1st half of the handicap league, I'm in good shape for the overall. I've picked up some assorted mens' association cash, and I've decided I'm going to win my flight in the individual match play tournament as well.

I'm on pace to finish the season with $500+ plus in credit...and if I don't win another dime, I'm pretty damn close to $400 now.

So...given that I don't need anything for the bag, and I don't really want any club logo apparel (although there is a Nike shirt I'm considering), what the hell should I spend it on. My thinking so far is:

• See if we have an account somewhere that would let me buy some tools for the shop. I don't do a ton of club work, but it would be nice to do it at home.
  • Buy a Scotty Cameron (probably a Newport 2) or maybe a Bettinardi (SS8) putter just because I can.
  • Transfer it to one of you guys, and use the money for something we could use around here (my camera, for example, doesn't shoot video...we're going to have to change that).

What would you do? Any ideas, thoughts, etc. are welcome.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Very nice of you T, if you were going to give it away, perhaps consider giving it to the local golf team. I know the team here operates on a very tight budget and $500 worth of equipment means the world to them.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

There was one thing I always did years ago when I accumulated shop credit: spend it on golf shoes. I always treated myself to a nice pair of Footjoy Classics or maybe a pair of Footjoy dress shoes. That was something I always needed, but wouldn't have shelled out $200 for otherwise.

Tools are always handy to have around.

You could always get a club and sell it. New stuff in the wrapper re-sells pretty good.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I have not participated this year but last year I won 3 First places, 2 seconds, and a 3d place. I ended up with a set of Callaway Musclebacks and 4 caps and a couple of still have $250. The problem is he has nothing I want. However, I would get the putters if he had some.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Our pro shop has no nothing. Just used sets. Of course they can order stuff. I am not sure what it will be like next year when it is in the new building. But right noe things are sparse.

Is there a local First Tee group that could use the help? Congrats on a great year of goffin'! Enjoy reading of your exploits....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I would buy a pair of shoes, some tools, and donate the rest...

a mix of what everyone here has already said...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Well congrats to you! Because my proshop credit is about $8 :D

Can't even buy a glove with that LOL

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

All I can say is great playing. I figured I'd turn hear to read a dilmena over 50 or 100 bucks - not 500.

All the suggestions are great - I can't add anyting to it - if you were here I'd suggest a hurricane readiness kit. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Buy some new shoes. XPS-1s will sure make people like your style. GO all orange. Get a new putter. Buy another shaft. Buy 12 cases of Bridgestone balls (3 of each b330) and run a contest here for them.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• SPY VIP

Over the weekend I picked up what in the grand scheme of things is a relatively small addition to the pot ($10). I also talked to our head pro about my options. He more or less knows what I do for a living, and that his club selection and apparel offerings (basically 100% Nike...not that it's bad, but Hollas, Sligo, PUMA, and Sub70 would certainly spice it up a bit) don't move me either. So...

He's willing to work with me on getting some tools (too made we don't have an account with Nikon...those are the kind of things we'll need moving forward) so...here's my follow up.

You've got $400 (give or take) to spend on tools and supplies. We're probably looking at GolfWorks, GolfSmith, and possibly Mitchell.

All I've got at home right now is a spine-finder, vice, and a gripping station. What would you buy with the credit?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Over the weekend I picked up what in the grand scheme of things is a relatively small addition to the pot ($10). I also talked to our head pro about my options. He more or less knows what I do for a living, and that his club selection and apparel offerings (basically 100% Nike...not that it's bad, but Hollas, Sligo, PUMA, and Sub70 would certainly spice it up a bit) don't move me either. So...

He's willing to work with me on getting some tools (too made we don't have an account with Nikon...those are the kind of things we'll need moving forward) so...here's my follow up.

You've got $400 (give or take) to spend on tools and supplies. We're probably looking at GolfWorks, GolfSmith, and possibly Mitchell.

All I've got at home right now is a spine-finder, vice, and a gripping station. What would you buy with the credit?

48" ruler

Chop saw for cutting shafts. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $40 (I think)

Simple swingweight scale (GW version can be had used on ebay for about $80)

Frequency scale

MoI scale from Wishon

Anatomically correct life size Gisele Bundchen doll

• SPY VIP

If you can throw in an extra couple hundred, get a refurbished Mitchell loft and lie machine.

You also need a concrete floor to mount it though. For personal use I just don't see these ever being worth it, though they are a LOT cheaper ($800 last I checked).

Haven't you heard...I'm standard lenght/standard lie. I don't need to bend anything. :)

Actually...it might be nice...hell, it would be even nicer is the wonderful people at Mitchell would just send me a SCUBA to play with.

From a practicality standpoint, it's probably the really cool, nice to own tool that I'd use the least.

One other lesser consideration...the workbench may appear as the backdrop in some videos we might one day actually shoot, so we want stuff that looks really seriously shop-like.

Haven't you heard...I'm standard lenght/standard lie. I don't need to bend anything. :)

Actually...it might be nice...hell, it would be even nicer is the wonderful people at Mitchell would just send me a SCUBA to play with.

From a practicality standpoint, it's probably the really cool, nice to own tool that I'd use the least.

One other lesser consideration...the workbench may appear as the backdrop in some videos we might one day actually shoot, so we want stuff that looks really seriously shop-like.

The SCUBA does look awesome, man I would love that thing. If you're going to get a bending machine, definitely go with a Mitchel if you want exact measurements.

Hmm... if you could sell the credit for the value, Golfsmith had a loft lie bending machine on sale for $475 or so. Someone else had a frequency machine on sale for $375 too, but don't remember where.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

So what's the consensus on a shaft puller. GolfSmith and GolfWorks (Maltby) have similarly priced models. I like that the Maltby has a load indicator, but I was also thinking I might just use cash to buy the Roberts puller on Ebay.

I was thinking golf balls, can never go wrong with a couple dozen of what you like best. I also like the idea of donating it to a high school team or a First tee program, I know the 2 in my area would welcome a donation like that with their arms wide open. Good luck and choose wisely!

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

So what's the consensus on a shaft puller. GolfSmith and GolfWorks (Maltby) have similarly priced models. I like that the Maltby has a load indicator, but I was also thinking I might just use cash to buy the Roberts puller on Ebay.

I bought one of the $40 pry bars from Golfsmith's and a $12 torch from Lowe's and they are working great. But I would like a belt sander to polish ferrules, and rough up the tip of a shaft. The only problem is since it for myself, I would rarely uses it. As far as a loft and lie machine, try to work out a guys weekend and go hangout at RookieBlues house. He probably has a couple of them. Last years and this years model. He is the Heidi Fleiss of club ho's. :P

I bought one of the $40 pry bars from Golfsmith's and a $12 torch from Lowe's and they are working great. But I would like a belt sander to polish ferrules, and rough up the tip of a shaft. The only problem is since it for myself, I would rarely uses it. As far as a loft and lie machine, try to work out a guys weekend and go hangout at RookieBlues house. He probably has a couple of them. Last years and this years model. He is the Heidi Fleiss of club ho's. :P

This? http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040097/golfsmith-graphite-shaft-pry-bar

Yes, Obviously, I was wrong about the price. I just put a 2x4 or use the side of the vise and pop it right off. I have not damaged any shafts doing that.

I built my own shaft puller from a pair of old vices...I'll see if I can dig up a picture

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

The frequency machine would be a good tool to have though.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Man, I have $675 & I truly don't need anything..Clothing, equipment, balls, shoes, nothing...lol...I think that I'm gonna use it for Christmas gifts..All things golf...Thankfully all thos that are close to me play the game except my GF, however she love the shirtd & shorts..The only thing is, a golf shirt or shorts for Christtmas...

Well, everbody but her...lol...

Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Well, if I do not win third place I will send you a

Pm of what you can get me. :)