TESTERS WANTED! ×

Clone Equipment

• SPY VIP

I see posts for the clone this and clone that on craigslist here in Sacramento all of the time. This is the site for the local shop that posts there so you can see what I am talking about.

http://www.customgolfstop.com

Does anyone bag cloned stuff? You can always describe "your friends" experience with the gear.

I actually went to this shop to buy the Sharpro mulitcompounds last summer. Real nice people there, just a whole different world of equipment.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Best guys in the clone business are http://www.diamondtour.com

We are thinking of doing a head to head reviews OEM vs Clone. You guys might be shocked at the results.

I see posts for the clone this and clone that on craigslist here in Sacramento all of the time. This is the site for the local shop that posts there so you can see what I am talking about.

www.customgolfstop.com

Does anyone bag cloned stuff? You can always describe "your friends" experience with the gear.

I actually went to this shop to buy the Sharpro mulitcompounds last summer. Real nice people there, just a whole different world of equipment.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

We are thinking of doing a head to head reviews OEM vs Clone. You guys might be shocked at the results.

I would really love to see this. There must be some functionality to these if they persist in the market...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I hope so. And to sactown, I hear the Sharpro grips are actually really nice, cheaper too.

Sharpro are very nice. Supposedly the have the MC patent and GP has to pay the to use the process.

Not identical to the new decades, but very close.

Volvo Intorqueo

I would love to see this. I've seen the clone sites before, but always wrote them off. Your post seems to indicate that I shouldn't be so quick to do so...damn my brand-washed mind!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Sharpro make some of the best grips in the biz.

Clone irons. I mean there irons., If you put good shafts in them how bad can they be. If the specs are close of course. Woods and drivers might be a little different. But they are probably the most bang for you buck on the market. Do you really need to spend that extra $300 for the real deal for an extra 8-10 yards.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Sharpro make some of the best grips in the biz.

Clone irons. I mean there irons., If you put good shafts in them how bad can they be. If the specs are close of course. Woods and drivers might be a little different. But they are probably the most bang for you buck on the market. Do you really need to spend that extra $300 for the real deal for an extra 8-10 yards.

I would imagine that most clones probably suck. They cut corners, use cheap metal, but apparently some, like the one MGS listed, don't.

I want to be shocked, shocked and awed, it would be great to see you guys do that, as no Magazine or other site with big OEM sponsors would ever give a fair and true report.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I want to be shocked, shocked and awed, it would be great to see you guys do that, as no Magazine or other site with big OEM sponsors would ever give a fair and true report.

I saw that the first shop at the top had the Avatar clubs too.

The new review system with the clones would be very cool.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Durability for clones (drivers) usually has paint wearing about 1 yr quicker then OEM and you do see more issue with cracking drivers...although if you go with a reputable seller they will warranty them 100% of the time.

And clubs get replaced typically quicker nowadays so this issue with clone drivers rarely becomes an issue.

Irons is for the most part not an issue when it comes to wear.

Putters generally are not something you would want to buy a clone for but drivers might shock you guys the results.

I would want to see what durability with clones would be like.

#TruthDigest

I saw that the first shop at the top had the Avatar clubs too.

The new review system with the clones would be very cool.

Sac, as i mentioned in the other thread, Dynacraft, and the other Brands that Heriko Golf sell are not clones, they develop and design their own products.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Sac, as i mentioned in the other thread, Dynacraft, and the other Brands that Heriko Golf sell are not clones, they develop and design their own products.

Gotcha, I was more just pointing out that there were there.

Volvo Intorqueo

Check out this exchange between a GD reader and GD editor Mike Stachura. Kind of interesting that someone in that position would take what some may consider a rather arrogant posture:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/golf-editors/2010/03/what-irons-to-buy.html

What irons to buy?

THURSDAY, MARCH 25, 2010

COMMENTS (0)

Taking a break from all things Tiger, let's answer this question from a California reader about new irons. I asked Mike Stachura, Golf Digest's Equipment Editor, to reply.

I need a new set of irons and I need your help! I have an average score of 90 but no "official handicap". My swing speed is between 85 to 100mph+. I currently have an imitation set of R7 RAC cavity back taylormade irons that are 6+ years old. I want to shoot in the 80's consistently and hopefully break 80 one day soon. Any suggestions, questions, or feedback?

Ryan Johnson, San Diego

Mike's reply, delivered with his characteristic sensitivity:

An IMITATION set of TaylorMade irons? Did you use imitation money to buy them? Do you drive an imitation Mercedes Benz? Do you own an imitation Golden Retriever? First things first, take those fraudulent irons and burn them. Second, write a letter of apology to TaylorMade at 5545 Fermi Court Carlsbad, CA 92008-7324. Third, take a look at the Hot List to get an idea of what's out there and what's good. Fourth, go find a pro shop that has a quality fitting program and an ample selection. See which of your favorites generally suits your mood and needs and then get fit for shaft flex, lie angle, length and grip size. Fifth, get a few lessons and regular checkups this summer with your local pro. If you're not breaking 80 by the end of the year, it's probably because you need a new driver.

--Bob Carney

I remember playing with a guy one time who would not stop talking about his new driver that was a clone of the current Callaway driver at the time, how he paid less than a hundred dollars for it while the real one was selling for $300, only to have the head fly off after hitting his tee shot on the third hole.

It took me four more holes to stop laughing. The ball went 75 yards and head flew 150 yards. This pretty well tells you what I think of clones. Nothing more than really cheap imitations.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

• SPY VIP

I wish you guys could have heard the call we got from Mike a few days ago. A lot of yelling and screaming about an article we wrote about our new review system we just put in place. And how he feels that our statements about their Hot List review methodology. Don't know the guy very well...but it had the same tone to it for sure.

Check out this exchange between a GD reader and GD editor Mike Stachura. Kind of interesting that someone in that position would take what some may consider a rather arrogant posture:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/golf-editors/2010/03/what-irons-to-buy.html

What irons to buy?

THURSDAY, MARCH 25, 2010

COMMENTS (0)

Taking a break from all things Tiger, let's answer this question from a California reader about new irons. I asked Mike Stachura, Golf Digest's Equipment Editor, to reply.

I need a new set of irons and I need your help! I have an average score of 90 but no "official handicap". My swing speed is between 85 to 100mph+. I currently have an imitation set of R7 RAC cavity back taylormade irons that are 6+ years old. I want to shoot in the 80's consistently and hopefully break 80 one day soon. Any suggestions, questions, or feedback?

Ryan Johnson, San Diego

An IMITATION set of TaylorMade irons? Did you use imitation money to buy them? Do you drive an imitation Mercedes Benz? Do you own an imitation Golden Retriever? First things first, take those fraudulent irons and burn them. Second, write a letter of apology to TaylorMade at 5545 Fermi Court Carlsbad, CA 92008-7324. Third, take a look at the Hot List to get an idea of what's out there and what's good. Fourth, go find a pro shop that has a quality fitting program and an ample selection. See which of your favorites generally suits your mood and needs and then get fit for shaft flex, lie angle, length and grip size. Fifth, get a few lessons and regular checkups this summer with your local pro. If you're not breaking 80 by the end of the year, it's probably because you need a new driver.

--Bob Carney

#TruthDigest

I wish you guys could have heard the call we got from Mike a few days ago. A lot of yelling and screaming about an article we wrote about our new review system we just put in place. And how he feels that our statements about their Hot List review methodology. Don't know the guy very well...but it had the same tone to it for sure.

Wow, wish I could've been a fly on the wall during that conversation! :)

Can you say "insecure" boys and girls?

• SPY VIP

I simply think it is a combination of a couple things. One...the magazines are hurting nowadays and secondly...he has to know deep down that the Hot List has become an overly hyped watered down mess of a review system. So in turn he and others are becoming defensive to save what they have left.

And the statements we made from incredibly reliable sources one being a person who worked for them basically claimed that the system is very bias towards to individual companies who spend more in advertising in their mag.

Wow, wish I could've been a fly on the wall during that conversation! :)

Can you say "insecure" boys and girls?

#TruthDigest

http://www.golfdiges...ons-to-buy.html

What irons to buy?

THURSDAY, MARCH 25, 2010

COMMENTS (0)

Ryan Johnson, San Diego

--Bob Carney

That's atrocious. And they wonder why educated people don't take GD's equipment reviews seriously. If you think that imitation clubs are bad, explain why and use proof. Does he think this kind of response is going to impress someone or help the guy who asked the question? If I were the letter-writer, I'd be furious! Not that I had any intention to, but I will definitely not be subscribing to GD after seeing this. What condescending BS.

I would love to have heard it, and I hope you said I am not taking sides, just speaking the truth, we owe it to our readers!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

That's A) pathetic that he would call and scream at you because he's threatened but B ) cool that you're rattling the cages of the big boys.