Will Par

Is the 45 Inch Driver Too Long?

Hahaha. Looks like the newsletter is going eh? 115 guests.

Rick, it's absolutely possible to increase average distance with a shorter driver. You have more control over the clubhead and it's easier to repeatedly hit the sweet spot, so it makes sense.

This. While trying out various options with the Cobra guy we went all the way from 48" down to 43" to find the length that actually maximized the ball speed I was getting. Of course the problem there was getting swing weight back up and most builders here won't do hot melting here.

Anyways, turns out I maxed out ball speed and launch with a 43.75 length for the driver and 41.75 for a 3 wood.

What I know is that, on equally well-struck shots, I see no appreciable loss of distance between my Ping i20 (8.5*, 44.75") and my old, steel-shafted Callaway Steelhead III (7*, 43.5"- I think). Of course, the Callaway has a MUCH smaller head and is much less forgiving.

Wasn't it Faldo last week going on and on about how Sergio was playing a 43.5" R11? What's funny is a lot of the people I fit with shorter driver lengths actually GAIN distance. As outstanding as today's technology is, there is no substitute for flush contact on the sweetspot. When we get down from 46-45 into 43-44, sooooo many more amateurs begin to make FLUSH contact. Good things happen with shorter sticks.

Since he hopped in Robin talked me down from 45" to 44.5" - I was doing very well at 45" (Down from 46" after a fitting) I'm doing ridiculously well at 44'5" - Hitting 80 percent of my fairways with that driver - could be the shaft though. ;) Had the shaft in it for a month and I'm even par for the month - even par for a month of golf - I've never, ever had that happen before in my life.

Watching Luke Donald and Sergio their drivers look so comfortable - more like they are hitting a three wood than a driver - If I win the contest I may have the Taylor Made driver fit to 44 or 43.5.

Why not? Distance is less of a factor for an amateur than a pro - I get to play up a set of tees in competitions anyway so the course set ups that I play are rarely over demanding distance wise - why not get more and more accurate and consistent. Why not feel like I'm hitting a 9 iron when I'm hitting a driver?

Just did an EPIC fitting (story coming soon) with Leith Anderson in San Carlos, CA - calgolflab - He built me a short driver and suddenly I've lost about 5 to 10 yards, but am hitting three times as many fairways and scoring way better (there are other changes that have helped me lower my scores) but yeah, I'm now a HUGE fan of the shorter driver!!!!

Tim, Did you shorten your current driver, or get all new components? Did you get an Accurizer installed? What other changes did Leith have you make?

Dude, I played this weekend with a Titleist 905R with GD Tour ADDi shaft 44" like is probably listed somewhere here. I hit 14 of 14 fairways. I did not realize that until just now. I only used the drive 10 times and irons the other times but it was such a huge advantage. I was never in any trouble off the tee. And with the wind and the course conditions that is huge.

45 inch drivers aren't long enough. Do yourself a favor and buy a Long Tom. You won't regret it!

statement said with total sarcasm. you'll probably slice the crap out of a long tom.