TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you grip your putter?

I just watched a replay of the 1997 masters where, at one point, they started showing different putter styles: long putter, claw grip, modified claw grip, left hand low, standard.

Personally, I grip my putter the exact same way I grip the rest of my clubs, except my thumbs point straight down. I'm all for trying something new, what grip do you use and why?

I use a vardon grip for my full shots. pitches and chips but I use an interlocking grip when putting - It lets me get the putter more on my finger tips - most important for me when putting is to have an incredibly light grip pressure.

I've mentioned in other places that I look at the hole when I putt - In fact the more I think about it I definately approach putting like shooting a basketball - a soft touch is key.

Hey it works for me - I've become a noticably better putter over the last 4 years - of course I've also practiced my putting a lot more over the past 4 years and I live in Florida where I can play golf year round so I don't have those down times that I had up North.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A few months ago I developed an entirely new putting grip. It immediately felt comfortable and I started putting much better. I'm putting so well I've quit swapping putters and other than hitting a few putts before I tee off, I no longer spend hours practicing putting.

I put the left hand on the grip in the lifeline, thumb down the top of the shaft, and the left index finger extended down the shaft. I place the right hand below the left with the grip in the lifeline and with hands directly opposed. The last three fingers of my right hand wrap around the grip and around my left index finger.

This is the only way I could find to keep the grip in the lifeline of both hands and feel comfortable holding the club. This grip firms up my left wrist and makes the club seem to be an extension of my left arm. With the right hand fingers wrapping both the grip and left index finger, it almost feels like I have an oversize grip in my right hand. It probably looks unconventional, but it feels great and works great.

Oh by the way WD, I'm wondering how much you had to pay to run that Facebook ad for votes? If it's not too much, I may need to run one. :) Just kidding... I'm sure I'm resting comfortably near the bottom of the list and expect to stay there.

A few months ago I developed an entirely new putting grip. It immediately felt comfortable and I started putting much better. I'm putting so well I've quit swapping putters and other than hitting a few putts before I tee off, I no longer spend hours practicing putting.

I put the left hand on the grip in the lifeline, thumb down the top of the shaft, and the left index finger extended down the shaft. I place the right hand below the left with the grip in the lifeline and with hands directly opposed. The last three fingers of my right hand wrap around the grip and around my left index finger.

This is the only way I could find to keep the grip in the lifeline of both hands and feel comfortable holding the club. This grip firms up my left wrist and makes the club seem to be an extension of my left arm. With the right hand fingers wrapping both the grip and left index finger, it almost feels like I have an oversize grip in my right hand. It probably looks unconventional, but it feels great and works great.

I'm going to try this tomorrow. Seems like a great way to quiet the wrists.

Oh by the way WD, I'm wondering how much you had to pay to run that Facebook ad for votes? If it's not too much, I may need to run one. :) Just kidding... I'm sure I'm resting comfortably near the bottom of the list and expect to stay there.

LOL, I gotta try everything, I can't go quietly into the night on this one. I listen to James, Rev, and Jbones how they have their friends voting for them. I have two friends who actually play golf and they hardly use facebook. I can't bring myself to hound people who aren't into golf, it's hard enough to get them to go to the driving range as it is.

I use a full interlock grip when putting.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Standard hand positioning, grip running through the center of the palms, left index finger runs over the top of my right hand knuckles (like pointing at the ground), my right index finger runs down the side of the grip (like pointing at the ground)

Why do I do it? well only thing that is not real traditional to a T is my two index fingers I do that because it helps me keep my hands from steering the putter, if I just get both fingers tracing the same line in the arc that i will make a good putt...

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I switched to the Vardon grip in my full shots a couple of months ago, which I love. I recently, yesterday went to the baseball, or 10 finger grip and actually a split baseball grip on short high spin pitches, as you can read about in the Happy Gilmore post. But for putting I think I still use the interlocking. I honestly am not that sure. I have found that, while I look at the hole like RevKev, I find it best to square the putter with my line of putt and then concentrate on getting the ball in the hole. I do not pay any attention to how my hands or feet or anything else, just focus on the back of the hole. I found that I can easily get so wrapped up in the form but not the putt so I am not sure what I do. I got up a minute ago and held a putter and the interlocking felt good, but I am not sure.:unsure:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I grip my putter exactly as you do,the Vardon grip, including the thumbs down the shaft which is also my grip on all of my regular shots...

WD, question: how do I know if my vote for you took?...Can you tell?...When I click on vote, a little box opens up, and I just hit the X & the box dissapears..I hope that's ok...

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

Try clicking the "Vote" box again, if it says you can't vote again, then it should be good. I'm paranoid and tend to do that at least once :)

Personally, I grip my putter the exact same way I grip the rest of my clubs, except my thumbs point straight down. I'm all for trying something new, what grip do you use and why?

Me too!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Standard, with my left index finger pointing down the shaft to prevent me from flipping it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 4 weeks later...

I was traditional for a long while when I started playing. My uncle introduced me to left hand low and I went with that for quite some time. I then switched to the prayer grip when my putting went bad and it was stagnantly decent for six months or so. I was messing around with crazy made up grips on the putting green one day and I came up with a long putter grip on a traditional putter. I bent way over and had my left arm at 90* at the top of the grip, back of my hard facing away from me. Right hand on the grip traditionally. Distance control was great but I couldn't aim with it well or get used to the feel of it. I've gone back to LHL now and it's here to stay.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

How do you grip your putter?

Depends on how far I'm trying to throw it ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Archived