TESTERS WANTED! ×

2012 Ryder Cup Captain Picks

Kanoito

Ian Poulter and Nicolas Colsaerts.

What do you think?

Ian Poulter was a sure thing, no doubt about that. But until now, I hadn't heard much about Colsaerts.

I think I would have taken Quiros or Harrington over him.

Now waiting for Love to make his picks and that sure seems like a tougher task.

So many to choose from, but only 4 spots left.

Mahan? Stricker? Furyk? Fowler? Snedeker? D. Johnson? And now Watney?

I'll go with Stricker, Furyk, Fowler and Snedeker.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I did read that Jose said Harrington was 19th on his list. Who knows - no doubt he went with length - I'd have a hard time criticizing him because Jose knows Rider Cup.

I'd have a hard time keeping Snedeker off the team - he really wants it and did whatever he could to make the team and then to make an impression. I'd take him over Haas but understand the logic.

The Euro team looks mighty stout.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm guessing Stricker, Furyk, Dustin, and Snedeker for the US team. Hunter would be a good pick too if he shows he can play well this week.

As for Harrington, he hasn't been great this year and the Ryder cup is several weeks away. Poulter was a no brainer and so was Colsaerts IMO. Both have been playing well all season and they can certainly use the long driver as others have mentioned.

The US is going to wipe the floor with them though :)

I did read that Jose said Harrington was 19th on his list. Who knows - no doubt he went with length - I'd have a hard time criticizing him because Jose knows Rider Cup.

I'd have a hard time keeping Snedeker off the team - he really wants it and did whatever he could to make the team and then to make an impression. I'd take him over Haas but understand the logic.

The Euro team looks mighty stout.

I think he meant that Harrington was 19th on the world point rank. He took Ian at 17th in Europe but 11th world. Harrington was 19 world wide and worse on the European ranking. Harrington said himself that even if he had gone and won the Johnnie Walker tournament it would not be enough to make it. Picking him would have been like Davis skipping Snedeker to take Cink.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

It's getting down to the wire and I think Davis has to pick these four players:

Steve Stricker - Currently playing well, good team player, pairs well with Tiger.

Jim Furyk - Loads of experience and plays well under pressure. Fits in well with the team.

Hunter Mahan - Only player not qualified with 2 wins this year. Ryder Cup experience. If you pick Furyk with no wins, you can't leave Mahan out. And I don't see Love picking a Ryder Cup rookie over Furyk or Mahan.

That leaves a final pick between Ricky Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Brandt Snedeker, and Nick Watney. Nick Watney is probably playing best at this point in time, but how do you ignore Ricky Fowler's star power? This is a big show and you must include the top stars. Can anyone make a strong argument that any of the other three, with no Ryder Cup experience, will play better than Ricky? The final pick will go to Ricky Fowler unless one of the other three wins this weekend. And I think McIlroy or Woods will take care of that scenario. That's my take on how it will play out.

Team Europe

Rory McIlroy / Justin Rose / Paul Lawrie / Graeme McDowell / Franseco Molinari / Luke Donald / Lee Westwood / Sergio Garcia / Peter Hanson / Martin Kaymer / Ian Poulter / Nicolas Colsaerts.

Need I say more!

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

There is certainly going to be some great golf played.

Is anyone from the group here going to be there?

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

Also, just to brag as that is what Dad's do.

My 8 year old won his junior comp yesterday. :D

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

Congrats on your kid AJ -

Can't wait for the Cup - two strong teams - I still like the home team only because - they're the home team. They get to set up the course.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Congrats on your kid AJ -

Can't wait for the Cup - two strong teams - I still like the home team only because - they're the home team. They get to set up the course.

Appreciate the comments.

Always have to go for the home team. I would not expect anything less.:)

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

Fowler and Mahan have checked out of this race. Sorry Hunter, but what you did months ago, does not count.

That leaves Stricker, Furyk, Johnson, Watney, and Snedeker. Furyk and Stricker with their experience and the way they are playing, and the fact that they are contemporaries of DLIII does not hurt either. I think the way they are playing makes it an easy choice.

So Johnson, Watney, Snedeker. Dufner, Bradley, and Simpson are all rookies with no Ryder Cup and no President's Cup experience. Johnson and Watney have been the winning President's cup team. Snedeker has not been. So they have a leg up in my opinion. I would wait and see how they fare tomorrow but I would probably right this second take:

Stricker, Furyk, Johnson, and Watney.

I agree that fowler and mahan shouldnt be on the team, I really enjoy watching these two guys play but in the past 3 or so months they havent done well. I do think that one of these two guys will be picked for the team though, most likely Mahan.

I would like stricker,Snedeker,furyk, and Johnson.

i can't see how they can't pick stricker. looks like the exact type of player you would want in a scenario like this.

and althought brandt snedeker is another player that i'm not very fond of, his short game would surely by very useful?

i'm with most of you on fowler and mahan. i like mahan, but he has very little form recently.

would you guys still go with furyk, even though he has melted under pressure a couple of times this year?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

i can't see how they can't pick stricker. looks like the exact type of player you would want in a scenario like this.

and althought brandt snedeker is another player that i'm not very fond of, his short game would surely by very useful?

i'm with most of you on fowler and mahan. i like mahan, but he has very little form recently.

would you guys still go with furyk, even though he has melted under pressure a couple of times this year?

I disagree he "melted under pressure". He made an poor club selection on 16 or

17 one of the later holes and got in trouble. He had to win the 18 th hole and hit it two hard. Bogied. The next match he had bad lies but could have handled them better but when Bradley knocked in that long putt Furyk had to make to tie and he hit

It through the break. Both instances is pretty poor for a professional but understandable

For a golfer. These were not four hole leads.

Reading the comments and keen analysis here makes me glad of one thing -

I don't have to make the picks - All I have to do is sit back and complain about them when my guys don't get in.

Being a fan is fun, isn't it? Let's talk about Joe Giardi for bit. :angry: :angry: :angry

(Apologies to WD and GolfSpy T but it seems to me that it's more like he's working for you guys than my guys) :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think Ricky Fowler may have used up his star power. I just looked and he is 5 over thru 13. That plus he's posted a couple of 80's recently. Dustin Johnson is probably going to finish in the top 5 and has a record this year that matches the other choices even though he was out for three months. Fowler may get the pick, but I think both Snedeker and Johnson would be better choices.

RoverRick and Richard, I would think that JF is an easy choice for your team. Just feels like he may not be right up where he was before.

But he is a great competitor, and I'm sure he will raise his game if he is selected.

I'm sure it is much easier to pick JF, than it would be to not pick him.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

One bonus if JF is picked, he's not allowed to have 5 Hour Energy plastered on everything from his hat to his toothbrush to his shoelaces...

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Reading the comments and keen analysis here makes me glad of one thing -

I don't have to make the picks - All I have to do is sit back and complain about them when my guys don't get in.

Being a fan is fun, isn't it? Let's talk about Joe Giardi for bit. :angry: :angry: :angry

(Apologies to WD and GolfSpy T but it seems to me that it's more like he's working for you guys than my guys) :)

I refuse to talk anything baseball right now. As far as I'm concerned, this season never happened, there was just some mysterious black hole of awfulness.

Back on topic though, Dustin and Stricker have definitely locked up their spots. I'd say Furyk too. The last choice is the tough one though, but I'm guessing it goes to Snedeker, with Mahan another possible choice. I don't think Ricky is even part of the conversation anymore.

Its funny cuz I like RR's first three picks though I would've put Snedeker in for Watney...Then I looked below his post & low & behold, MSP's got my picks!....My man!....

I really don't care about the last two picks, Just so Stricker & Furyk get in....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

The first three are easy for me. Stricker, Johnson, Furyk. Based on past experience I would take Watney over Snedeker, but that is contingent on where they finish this week. I know it is over but I am a couple of hours behind, because I was playing golf with the wife earlier today, after my round with my buddies, she went out and we played the new holes again. So the choice between them is totally dependent on the finish today. I will admit that part of my preference for Watney was my like of Titleist over Bridgestone.

Which brings up something else, Snedeker is a Bridgestone guy and so is DL3. If all else is equal than that may have an effect. But I think Snedeker is finishing higher than Watney.

Webb Simpson has used the belly putter since his days at Wake Forest. He said he has some Scotties at home and is practicing with them in case the ruling come back wrong.

I'd take both Snedeker AND Watney and leave Furyk at home. Not that I dislike Jim, just that the young guys are playing great and it gives them some more experience too.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Dustin Johnson, Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, and Steve Striker Well, since Snedeker has played so well, and ended up ahead of Watney it was the right choice.

When he is going to get second guessed and he chooses the top playing guys, well, what's wrong with that.

I am wondering when golf courses started being called ball parks. I have heard. "That is a big ball park." But never before last week.

Dustin Johnson, Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, and Steve Striker Well, since Snedeker has played so well, and ended up ahead of Watney it was the right choice.

When he is going to get second guessed and he chooses the top playing guys, well, what's wrong with that.

I am wondering when golf courses started being called ball parks. I have heard. "That is a big ball park." But never before last week.

Definitely the right choice IMO

I think the US Team made some good logical selections, I had 3 of the 4 on my list for who I probably would have gone with

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Hunter Mahan will be on Golf Channel tonight talking about not being selected for the Ryder Cup team. We will see how well he handles this tonight. There is no doubt that he will be disappointed but bottom line is he did not perform in the end. They were all trying for the same slots and it is obvious who is playing better right now. And for the last few months.

I thought these were good choices by Davis Love - tough choices always but good ones. I was very let down though - I thought for sure that the MyGolfSpy guys would have arranged for Davis to give the world a contest update during his selection news conference.

Oh well. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 3 weeks later...

OK...maybe....just maybe I was wrong about Furyk.......he just shot a 29 on the front 9 today at the TOUR Championship. Impressive!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Archived