TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golfer's Elbow "quick fixes" ?

So, I've golfed myself crazy lately and am watching my handicap drop like rain from the sky!!! but... I've created a case of Golfer's Elbow - it doesn't hurt when I swing, but if I'm sitting in my office chair resting my elbow on the arm rest, it aches - not the end of the world type of pain, but I'm worried it'll get worse.

I've started to ice it a bit.

Besides outright not playing golf til it goes away (not my favorite option) anything else you guys know of that would give me the quickest recovery? I'm assuming an increase in alcohol consumption wouldn't do the trick?

I've had that, it basically made me quit playing tennis years ago, it just wasn't worth the pain. It has popped up occasionally from golf, fortunately not for a couple seasons now. They make those brace/straps that for me did seem to help alleviate the day to day ache that you describe. For me, the only real cure was time, the off season was the only thing that really made it go away, and I could never really pinpoint the motion in the golf swing that caused it, although I guess when you think about it the golf swing does somewhat resemble a low forehand for a right hander.

this is the brace I have: http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/BandIT-Therapeutic-Forearm-Band-50p1288.htm

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

So, I've golfed myself crazy lately and am watching my handicap drop like rain from the sky!!! but... I've created a case of Golfer's Elbow - it doesn't hurt when I swing, but if I'm sitting in my office chair resting my elbow on the arm rest, it aches - not the end of the world type of pain, but I'm worried it'll get worse.

I've started to ice it a bit.

Besides outright not playing golf til it goes away (not my favorite option) anything else you guys know of that would give me the quickest recovery? I'm assuming an increase in alcohol consumption wouldn't do the trick?

Well you and I sound like we are in the same boat here is some stuff that I found in research on it and what has helped me recover to this point... i wasn't in real bad conditions nothing time off and ice / anti-inflammatory / pain relievers couldn't handle... so this MIGHT work for you depending on the severity of the injury at this point...

Week 1 ~ zero golf and an attempt to keep all weight and pressure off the arm as much as possible

Week 2 ~ putting and light chipping practice making sure not to get a lot of stress on the arm

Week 3/4 ~ 9 hole round Monday, 9 hole round Thursday after work making sure to allow my arm to rest and rebuild strength.

--> if the pain is back and doesn't go away by Wed do not play the Thursday round repeat 3 weeks of light practice of putting and chipping

Week 5/6 ~ three 9 hole rounds a week

--> assuming you made it to this point pain free, make sure not to push it too hard too fast we are just trying to rebuild the stamina and area in the arm that got over used and rest it at least one day in-between rounds to recover.

Week 7/8 ~ two 9 hole rounds a week and on 18 hole round

--> again space out the rounds with at least one day gaps between them.

Week 8/9 one 9 hole round a week and two 18 hole round

--> make sure to give at least one day between rounds for recovery.

Week 10/11 three 18 hole rounds

--> space them out accordingly to have at least one day of rest in-between rounds...

If you need to play more then that, you might also consider changing your diet and doing some gym work to help strengthen the area again to reduce the risk for injury down the road. I don't get to play 3 rounds of 18 myself, I am just sticking to three 9 hole rounds then a single 18 hole round on the weekend.

Work it out to slowly come back to golf you might even consider having a week or two of just partial swings with wedges instead of hoping directly into the 9 hole rounds...

hope that helped in some way,

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

They make those brace/straps that for me did seem to help alleviate the day to day ache that you describe. For me, the only real cure was time, the off season was the only thing that really made it go away....

this is the brace I have: http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/BandIT-Therapeutic-Forearm-Band-50p1288.htm

I've had this for about the last 10 years and it is very painful. This brace is the BEST thing I have found. I put it on after almost every round, whether I'm hurting or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Elbow-Brace-Ice-Pack/dp/B004R7X83S

X2 on what they both said. I get it from time to time too. Sometimes it's hard to make a fist when it flares up real bad.

The bands work great though. I think they absorb the shock and vibrations enough to allow the healing to continue even though I'm not smart enough to quit playing because of the injury. I got my bands at Walgreen's.

Ironically my right elbow flares up the worst playing PGA Tour on the Wii during the winter. Go figure.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Thanks for the feedback, I've taken two days off in a row now and icing three times a day for 10 minutes each time.

Considering playing tomorrow, and considering just waiting til Monday... Guessing the wise decision would be wait til Monday - maybe some light chipping tomorrow :-(

I think I'll wait til Monday and then see if I'm getting better, if not then I'll have to choose, take a full week off, or just jump in and deal with it.

Tyk, Jbones, BK - For sure gonna get some of those brace and ice things.

Jmiller - if I decide to take another full week off (that'd be ABSOLUTE torture) I'll be following your system at this point.

My body is finally letting me know I'm not 20 anymore.

Really the issue with injuries like this, they fit right into golf "there are no quick fixes".

I want to give the warning that the brace is only a temporary solution not a "fix" to the problem. Sort of like a swing fault you can fake it with equipment a little but long term the best is to fix the source of the problem...

Here are a couple of videos that might help you out since you have caught it early on in the stage of injuries. Eventually if you keep doing what you are doing it will get worse and to the point that you won't be able to make a fist very well without being in pain. You will then need to take a nice trip down to the doctors office and get a steroid shot in the arm, or they might recommend surgery if it is extremely bad.

Golfer's Elbow Explained (use navigation on left Definition, Symptoms, Etc.) --> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/golfers-elbow/DS00713

Video to help you out on recovery -->

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Is it Golfers Elbow, or Tennis Elbow? Most golf related elbow issues are actually Tennis Elbow! Exactly where does it hurt? On the outside of the joint, or the inside? The inside is golfers elbow, the outside is tennis elbow. I have fought tennis elbow off and on for a number of years, including two bouts of professional treatment. The key for me is life away from golf (I don't think the initial injury was golf-related - it was lifting). Lift everything with the other arm when possible. When necessary, lift only with the palm up, elbow bent, and elbow as close to your side as possible. I do a maintenance stretch every day: with your arm extended bend your hand down as much as possible. Turn the wrist out until the pinky points to the sky. Hold ten seconds, repeat 10x. Then repeat again, only using your other hand to increase the stretch.

Good Luck!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Siamese Moose

Must be Golfers Elbow - the pain is inside of my joint - I can touch anywhere on the outside and there's no pain, but when I move the right/"wrong" way it hurts - not terribly right now, but I don't wanna keep injuring it to the point that I'm out for a month +

Siamese Moose

Must be Golfers Elbow - the pain is inside of my joint - I can touch anywhere on the outside and there's no pain, but when I move the right/"wrong" way it hurts - not terribly right now, but I don't wanna keep injuring it to the point that I'm out for a month +

Definitely sounds like golfers elbow. I have no experience with it, so all I can do is wish you luck.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

• 3 weeks later...

I must be the most unfortunate guy in the world. I have golfers elbow on my right arm, plus tennis elbow on my left. The only thing that worked for appreciable length of time is cortisone injection to the sites. Other than that, I am very conscious of grip pressure when I play. I realized that higher grip pressure tend to result in more pain after the game.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Archived