what has been your favourite mgs-recommended golfing buy?

sparnar

hi all

i joined MGS a couple of months ago, and was lurking the forums before beginning to participate.

i did however buy a couple of things based on the MGS reviews. my list so far is:

true linkswear phx

putting fork

birdieball putting green

tour tempo iphone app

iping iphone app

i have been very happy with each of these purchases. the putting fork has seen the least amount of action thus far, but only because i don't get to the putting green often enough. i am not too fond of using it indoors on the birdieball green.

i have really enjoyed my true phx's, and will be getting the tours when the budget allows, and have also loved being able to roll some putts at home.

i'll also be looking at quite a few more items. next up on my shopping list, is gonna be one of the mizuno wedges reviewed in 52*, and a tour striker.

my question to you, what have been some of your mgs-recommended, or mgs-inspired purchases? and which of these have been your favourite item?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Phil Mickelsons DVD "Secrets of the short game"......

.....and practice.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Great thread sparnar

Literally everything in my bag is related to MGS. I first came on this site after looking around for cheaper golf clubs and was turned onto Hireko from this review: http://www.mygolfspy.com/review-dynacraft-prophet-irons/

Before I hit buy though, I got word they were releasing a forged version, so that's what I got and filled my entire bag from there, so indirectly everything I have points back to MGS.

Here is my full list in no particular order:

• Dynacraft Prophet Forged irons (review came after I bought them and I disagree still with the final score: link)
  • MG Tour C4 golf balls (have since switching to buying recycled ProV1x)
  • Orange Whip
  • Tour Striker Pro 7i
  • RBZ 3W (ok, I didn't buy this, but I was pretty darn close to)
  • R11s (bought via GolfBids.net, which was a sponsor of MGS)
  • Ping Nome Putter (awesome putter: link)
  • 4 yards more tees (link)
  • Leupold GX1 Rangefinder (read the review for the GX3, but was too cheap for the higher end model: link)

My list of things I want:

* Titleist 910H hybrids (link)

* Hirzl Golf Gloves (link)

* Mizuno MP59 irons with KBS tour stiff (link)

* TRUE Linkswear Tour Shoes (link)

edit: added the TRUEs

Awesome thread.

Where to begin.... I won the Razr Fit driver for club ho of the month. The shaft in this proved that all my other shafts, and ironically even that one, were wrong for me. I then went to reshaft my iron, and based on MGS I decided on C Tapers. But one of my friends bought my old irons so I needed new heads. I bought Mizuno MP62 based on what I read here. Soon there after, it became apparent that I need to either tip my existing shaft or replace it with a different one. I bought a Talamonti PD80 based on a recommendation here. And then since I had a shaft that I liked and could experiment I did so with the first shaft.

I have left out the iron based hybrids, and the Mizzie wedges, and the steel hybid shafts all based on my association with this site.

But if I had to pick my favorite, (American spelling), I would have to say that the biggest game changers have been the XStiff iron shafts. I can play any course with out the driver, but GIR's are close to 85% from the fairway inside 210 yards with a clear shot at the green. This is huge. I seriously dropped 10 strokes based on this alone.

When I can remember all I need to do with the driver is get it in the short stuff inside 200 I make no worse that par. However, I get on the box and think I want a birdie and bad things happen.

Plus playing the same holes twice, cause more mental problems than you think. I almost always play them better the first time. I have a plan and stick to it. However, on the second time, I remember what I did right or wrong the last time and either try to duplicate it or avoid it. This puts me in the wrong state of mind, but we will see. 1 more day and they open the new holes. It has literally been like watching the grass grow this last month, while we were waiting for the grass to grow.:P

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

From the top of my head...

Mizuno MP59

4 yard tees

Tour Tempo app

I'm sure there are a couple more, but I'm too drunk now to think straight :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Yea and this...I didn't realize that MGS did a review on this...

No, MGS didn't do an official review. I read a thread on here that discussed the DVD and it convinced me I should get it. Best $20 I ever spent on golf. I went from being absolutely crappy inside 70 yards, to being fairly decent. BUT...I practice those 10-70 yard shots in my backyard almost every night.

Here I'll do mini-review:

If you dread and or have no confidence in your shots under 70 yards....watch the DVD. If you routinely chunk or blade pitches and chips....watch the DVD. Phil explains things easily enough for even a blockhead like me to understand. Low handicappers probably already know what he shows.....and likely have even more greenside tricks up their sleeve......but for a middlin' capper like me trying to get into the single digits.....it's well worth the price of admission.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Giving C Tapers another shot after my terrible experience with them in some i20's. Turns out they are exactly the right shaft but I needed a different flex and lie angle to make them work.

Adams 9064LS head. Legendary piece of equipment that.

Cobra S2 driver after it's performance in the adjustable driver shoot out.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Good question.

Nunchuk shafts

Adams IdeaPro A12 Hybrid

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I bought a seemore putter based on a review on here,Great website btw. Next up is a excalibur shaft sl for my 3 wood !

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I think the biggest thing MGS has given me is confidence. Whenever I was debating a new club I would post it and all of you guys would input your opinion. I can't get that anywhere else. Adding a 4 wood to the bag, and the purchase of my Bobby Jones Hybrid. Things like that. Not only am I getting a good product, but I am also getting confidence from knowing that all of you are behind my decisions.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

thanks for all the replies, guys. makes for some interesting reading.

r.p., i haven't had a chance to work on the full swing with the tour tempo app (work has been killing me for the last 6 weeks or so), but i have used it quite a bit while practising my putting, and also doing some little chip shots with birdieballs.

it seems that the tones force me to be more economical with my movements on these shots (although it feels like the tones are not that great for putts of around 3 feet, which i practice alot these days).

what i do like, is that the tones forces me to play a more committed shot, either when making a longer putt, or when hitting the chip. there isn't time for the club to 'float' off of the line going back, and i feel like i am accelerating through impact to ensure i meet the last tone at impact. to me, accelarating through the ball, has helped PLENTY with both chips and putts.

as soon as work calms down, i really want to hit the range with the tour tempo and work on the full swing.

i really should be making more of an effort of doing some y and l drills in the garden. but without hitting a ball, it doesn't feel quite right.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

as i was reading all the comments, i recalled that i also bought the true aim decals after reading about them on the forum. another item i haven't been able to implement because of work pressures. but the reviews they've been getting, i'm sure they can only help my driving game.

oh, and another item i just remembered. after all the speak of getting fit on the site, i managed to get a voucher of one of those groupon-type sites, for a full set club fitting session. the place is about 40mins drive from my home, so again, i will have to make some time for it. but i reckon my irons' shafts might not be the best fit for me. bought mp-53s secondhand, and they came in stiff shafts. my swing speed with the driver maxes out at 94/95 mph, when going after it, so i'm not convinced stiff shafts in my irons are the best option.

i'll go for the fitting and find out.

as for phil's dvd, i'll just have to add that to my list of items-to-get-because-MGS-said-so.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

and i was just looking through the items again, i saw wdgolf got the ping nome putter.

that is one for the wish list. they're quite expensive over here in SA, around the $250 mark at current exchange prices.

i'm also considering getting the clicgear cart, as i walk most of the time (but never carry!).

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I had to think about this question a bit.

But I think it was the K15 fairway review that I would say directly resulted in my getting the club. That review was around May 2011 right? So I had that in my main bag for nearly 10 months- plus I added the 5 and the 7. Almost as long as my driver from both the tee and the turf. I actually hit the green with it on a 210 yard par 3. There is no other club besides a driver I could do that with.

When I did switch over to the Callaway woods and hybrids, I still kept the K15s in the back-up bag along with the Rapture V2 irons. That backup bag sitting at the cottage is a pretty solid line up- V2 Driver, Bobby Jones Hybrids, K15 Woods, V2 irons, Ping Eye2 wedges and a Ping Craz e putter. Good old friends....

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

and i was just looking through the items again, i saw wdgolf got the ping nome putter.

that is one for the wish list. they're quite expensive over here in SA, around the $250 mark at current exchange prices.

i'm also considering getting the clicgear cart, as i walk most of the time (but never carry!).

They are expensive. I won a TM Spider putter from an auction for a total of $110. I then traded it + $80 for the Nome. $190 is still a lot, but I felt it was a damn good deal.

Its a toss up between True Linkswear shoes and the Tour Striker, I love both!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

They are expensive. I won a TM Spider putter from an auction for a total of $110. I then traded it + $80 for the Nome. $190 is still a lot, but I felt it was a damn good deal.

How are you enjoying your nome?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Its a toss up between True Linkswear shoes and the Tour Striker, I love both!

Have to agree on the True's.

And hoping to agree on the Tour Striker in a month or so!

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I've had it for a few months now. When I miss, I know it's because I misread the putt, which unfortunately happens more than I care to admit. On a flat surface I can hit anything within 10'. Love the feel too, can't say enough about it.

I was hoping to hear something along those lines.

Although my wallet was hoping for the opposite!

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

MGS reviews played a role in buying the MP-59's (while also considering the Wilson FG V2's). Also picked up a Swing Wing (love it) and a pair of True Linkswear shoes. This site hasn't steered me wrong yet....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

JB, first, congratz on your 500th post. I've really enjoyed the exchanges. Secondly, how similar is the Swing Wing to a swing fan? I currently use a fan with one of those instructional grips on it.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Whoa - didn't even notice the milestone. I'd like to thank the academy and all of the little people who made this possible....

Swing wing basically does the same thing - more or less - as a swing fan. Benefits are it's inflatable, which means it's deflatable, which means it fits in the golf bag when not in use. Also, it's only 30 bucks and slides over whatever club you want to use it with. Downsize is since it's deflatable, you tend to forget you have it, and therefore forget to use it...

BTW - thanks for the offer of the Adams hybrid. Watching pennies after doggie detox -- let me see what the next week or so brings. Youda man!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I also have to put Scor Golf on this list!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

after having spotted quite a few references to the Sub 70 apparel, i had a peek at their site. they have some really good deals on at the moment.

i eagerly filled my electronic shopping basket, only to learn that their online ordering system only allows billing address from the USA and Canada.

i have sent them an email as to enquire how we can progress on this.

this would be my latest MGS inspired buy, if they can make a plan for me.

holding thumbs...

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Can't say I've really bought something because of an online review. If I see great reviews of something, I go try it. Trying it out and seeing how it works for me takes precedent. Then if I like the stock club, I look into how that club is fit to a swing and if I can be properly fit, I will take a hard look at it. Just cause someone else loves a club doesn't mean it will work for me.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I bought True Linkswear shoes based on reviews and forum comments recently. Simply put, they are the most comfortable shoes I've worn -- the reviews were spot on. I've found that they improve balance/stability, seriously reduce fatigue, and force a posture that reduces the residual backpain from a surgery. I am also considering Adams Hybrids based on reviews.

Steve

Arthur Xtreme Engineering Xcaliber graphite golf shafts, after the review here (and some e-mail exchanges with Robin). I bought an Tour SL for the driver I'm building (hopefully this weekend) and a regular weight fairway wood shaft for the 4 wood. Both woods have Acer XF heads.

4 Yards More tees. I had been using Brush Tees, but sometimes it was a juggling act getting the ball to stay teed up. The 4 Yards More tees work as well (maybe better) in reguards to distance, and there is no problem teeing the ball up. Also, they last well over 100 impacts. I bought a 4 pack at the beginning of the summer, used them for every round of golf and every trip to the driving range, and they are still going strong.

Archived