Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

new shaft

To all you clubbuilders on here ,I want to swap the shaft in my 3 wood with a super light shaft.The new shaft is about 10 grams lighter,my question is will i run into any swingweight issues? Or any other problems ,I want to replace an Aldila Voodoo (adams f11)with a excalibur sl model.Or is this a bad idea? I injured my shoulder this spring and lost some ss and it was recommended to drop down to a regular flex shaft.Thank you

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Dave I'm not a club fitter or builder but I just had the sl shaft put in my driver and it's great for me. I did have some swing weight issues at first but with an adjustable head we fiddled with the weight port until it was just right. Hitting the club great.

Actually Robin Arthur, CEO of excalibur, is a MyGolfSpy member so he might see your post and respond. Better yet go into his website and email or call him - he'll be happy to help you out with your shaft. He responded to my email within 24 hours and then made himself available with suggestions when the swing weight was a bit light for me.

Why not try the source on this one since he's available to us.

Love Indiana - lived there for 10 wonderful years - hope you're getting some rain.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not a professional club builder, but I would suspect you might end up slightly lighter in terms of swingweight. It's also possible you could be at the same SW because of the way the weight is distributed in the new shaft versus the old one...all depends.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

THanks guys I appreciative it ,yes revkev. We are getting a lot of rain looks like no golf today !

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Adams F 11 3 wood

General rule is you lose 1 SW point for each 9 grams for shaft weight removed. You most likely won't notice the difference.

+/- 3 SW points for each 1/2" of club length added/removed

+/- 1 SW point for each 2g of clubhead weight added/removed

+/- 1 SW point for each 5g of grip weight added/removed

+/- 1 SW point for each 9g of shaft weight added/removed

Not a professional club builder, but I would suspect you might end up slightly lighter in terms of swingweight. It's also possible you could be at the same SW because of the way the weight is distributed in the new shaft versus the old one...all depends.

What Matt said. For myself, I don't like lead tape on a club, if I can avoid it, so I use shaft weights to get the correct swingweight. A club fitter will have no problem getting it to where you want/need to be.

Thanks for all your replies thats what I needed to know Dave

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Adams F 11 3 wood

Archived