TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do You Draw A Line On Your Golf Ball?

How do you guys mark you golf ball, and what do you like looking at when you putt?

I do mark mine with a sharpie, but I don't use it to line up my putts, but sometimes I do put it perpendicular to the putting line.

• SPY VIP

Nope, tried it and nope. If it works, great, but if you take 10 min to line up a putt with it, stop, stop immediately.

Unless you are playing tournament golf...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I do not use the line on the ball. I like to put the logo face up with my mark (4 dots around the logo) facing up. I find that using the line is very time consuming and gets me away from trusting myself. I definitely make more putts by just getting over the putt and letting it go.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm weird about marking my ball... for a while I did, but now I just make sure no one else in the group is using the same ball... I don't like having marks on my ball, it just looks dirty, and distracts me when I'm lining up my shots...

An I use the writing on the ball to line up my putts... for a while my putting was terrible. I started lining up my putts, and it really helped...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I just put a line under the name of the ball, just know it's mine when looking in the weeds. But when putting I prefer just to look at white. I try to hide the logo's and writing so I don't see them at address.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I tried it, and stopped - was taking too long, and I was finding myself lining up differently when perched over the ball looking down. Now I visualise where the ball is going to roll, pick a spot, blade of grass or whatever, 6 inches from the ball, and putt 'through' that spot. Pace is all feel.

I'm not the greatest of putters, but I'll have a good chance of getting anything

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

• SPY VIP

I tried it, and stopped - was taking too long, and I was finding myself lining up differently when perched over the ball looking down. Now I visualise where the ball is going to roll, pick a spot, blade of grass or whatever, 6 inches from the ball, and putt 'through' that spot. Pace is all feel.

I'm not the greatest of putters, but I'll have a good chance of getting anything

Totally same feeling about this. How long did you stay with the line? I wonder if I didn't try it long enough and that is why it threw off feel.

Volvo Intorqueo

How do you guys mark you golf ball, and what do you like looking at when you putt?

I do mark mine with a sharpie, but I don't use it to line up my putts, but sometimes I do put it perpendicular to the putting line.

Nah. I don't even line up the name. Way too much bother with no appreciable results for me.

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

I'm a little obsessive about it. I put 3 dots (orange sharpie) in a triangular pattern to the right side of the number, above the lettering. Then I use a check-go-pro and put a straight line across about 1/3 of the ball for putting alignment.

Can't say for certain that the check-go-pro alignment makes a huge difference, but using it to line up the putt forces me into a routine, and that helps (I think).

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm a little obsessive about it. I put 3 dots (orange sharpie) in a triangular pattern to the right side of the number, above the lettering. Then I use a check-go-pro and put a straight line across about 1/3 of the ball for putting alignment.

Can't say for certain that the check-go-pro alignment makes a huge difference, but using it to line up the putt forces me into a routine, and that helps (I think).

This actually hurts me. I get too fixed on the lines that I lose all of my feel. Plus, if I stand up to the putt and I am off, I bugs the crap out of me.

I usually give it a dot or two and then use the marking to line up my putts. I usually read it correctly, but sometimes I don't trust it. Whenever that happens, I usually miss the putt.

It's not how you mark your ball, it's how you mark your Titleist

• SPY VIP

Funny side bar with this...

During the Bridgestone ball fitting last summer, I asked the rep if the alignment line on the ball was along the seam in the ball. Got a little huffy and said "our balls have no seams". So I pass that on to you.

Volvo Intorqueo

This actually hurts me. I get too fixed on the lines that I lose all of my feel. Plus, if I stand up to the putt and I am off, I bugs the crap out of me.

I felt the same way. If I was going to use the line, I wanted it to be perfect, and that's A - impossible B - way too time consuming.

I did putt this way for the better part of an entire season, so I feel like I gave it a good shot.

I used to use one of those centrifuge thingies to balance and draw a line on my ball. Now I don't do that and I don't even use the alignment aid on the ball itself. I focus more on where I want the putt to start and trust that my alignment will get it there.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I used to use one of those centrifuge thingies to balance and draw a line on my ball. Now I don't do that and I don't even use the alignment aid on the ball itself. I focus more on where I want the putt to start and trust that my alignment will get it there.

I got one of those as a Christmas gift once. What I was impressed with was the fact that it was very consistent - if you put the same ball in it 2 or 3 times, you always got the same line. I can't say that it made much of a difference, so I stopped using it too.

• SPY VIP

I got one of those as a Christmas gift once. What I was impressed with was the fact that it was very consistent - if you put the same ball in it 2 or 3 times, you always got the same line. I can't say that it made much of a difference, so I stopped using it too.

Do those things clean the ball too? I have looked at them, but never all that closely...

Volvo Intorqueo

Do those things clean the ball too? I have looked at them, but never all that closely...

Not the one I had. Basically they just spin the ball really fast so that you can draw a line around it that will include the heaviest point on the ball, I think. Like I said, it is consistent with itself, so that's good, but I don't know that modern golf balls are out of balance enough to have this matter.

• SPY VIP

This does seem like a big deal during the manufacturing process. Maybe if the ball is old and out of plumb a bit it could be helpful, but wouldn't playing a new ball be better?

Volvo Intorqueo

This does seem like a big deal during the manufacturing process. Maybe if the ball is old and out of plumb a bit it could be helpful, but wouldn't playing a new ball be better?

I don't have too many problems with old balls, they seem to like to run away. The forest, the water, nearby road, backyard.

• SPY VIP

I don't have too many problems with old balls, they seem to like to run away. The forest, the water, nearby road, backyard.

Once the ball has a camouflage coating of tree marks and a surface full of 5 o'clock scruffiness I too release it from service.

Usually that covers about 3 holes... :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Not the one I had. Basically they just spin the ball really fast so that you can draw a line around it that will include the heaviest point on the ball, I think. Like I said, it is consistent with itself, so that's good, but I don't know that modern golf balls are out of balance enough to have this matter.

Same here. It just spun really fast.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Once the ball has a camouflage coating of tree marks and a surface full of 5 o'clock scruffiness I too release it from service.

Usually that covers about 3 holes... :)

Scuffs never stop me! This past week I pulled out a ball that was 25% covered in cart path rash and played 4 or 5 holes in even par. Then I gave it a bath.

I'm really obsessive about my balls... wait, that didn't come out quite right....

What I mean is I don't like playing with cut or scuffed balls. I will banish them to the practice bucket/shag bag if they have too much of a mark on them.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'm really obsessive about my balls... wait, that didn't come out quite right....

What I mean is I don't like playing with cut or scuffed balls. I will banish them to the practice bucket/shag bag if they have too much of a mark on them.

At what point is the shag bag "full" and then what do you do with the other balls?

I'm the complete opposite, I use my balls until the are lost.

I tried the line for a little while, but it would mess with my head a little in the fairway. Now I try and line the ball up so that the side with no markings is facing up when I putt, that way I can trust the line that I picked and not worry about whether or not I got the stamping/line pointing in the right direction.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Archived