Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Do You Draw A Line On Your Golf Ball?

Fill a pocket in your bag and blast them at the driving range? :mellow:

Yeah, exactly. The ultimate way to recycle.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

ha ha ha. Very funny

Haha.. not really. But I'm glad you guys amused yourself.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 1 month later...

I did for a LOOOOONG time. Then I read a putting tip that said that too many people focus on the line on the ball instead of putting to a spot and getting the ball online. I thought I putted well when using the line, until I switched back. My putting improved dramatically, both in getting the ball on line and getting my pace right. Now I only mark my ball for identification purposes.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

I extend the model mark just a bit on each side, and circle the number. Blue sharpie. If playing Callaways, I turn the chevrons into peace signs.

I like having alot of ink on the ball, it provides great feedback on where the clubface strikes the ball.

I use the line to line up the putt, but still putt to a point on the green.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

It might be because im young, but i always use the line, unless its a tap in, in that case people who do that just slow up play. I line it up to where i think is good, and then if i feel that its wrong i will adjust accordingly when i am over the ball.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

It might be because im young, but i always use the line, unless its a tap in, in that case people who do that just slow up play. I line it up to where i think is good, and then if i feel that its wrong i will adjust accordingly when i am over the ball.

That's the same thing I do... mark the ball, line it up, take one practice swing, look it my line from over the ball, adjust as needed, swing...

For me it is more about the routine than it is the line... if I am rushing and don't line up the ball, I ALWAYS miss...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Still no line for me, but I have started writing random garbage on the ball when I play. Too many people "finding" my ball.

Yesterday may have been the greatest on course conversation I have ever had.

Me: 'Did you just pick up my ball?"

Him: "No, that was mine..."

Me: "Really, can you check and see if it was a Bridgestone 330RX that says 'Ass Pony" on the side?"

Him: "Oh, I guess this is yours."

Watching the dude read the ball that said "ass pony" was fantastic.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For me it is more about the routine than it is the line... if I am rushing and don't line up the ball, I ALWAYS miss...

That's mental IMO. :rolleyes:

Get up to the ball, pick out a target and make your stroke. I putt just as well with one hand as I do with two from inside 8 feet.

If there's one thing an average player should be able to do as well as a tour pro is putt. It requires absolutely no athletic ability, only the ability to see the line and hit the ball in that direction.

Semper Fi

My Club

That's mental IMO. :rolleyes:

Get up to the ball, pick out a target and make your stroke. I putt just as well with one hand as I do with two from inside 8 feet.

If there's one thing an average player should be able to do as well as a tour pro is putt. It requires absolutely no athletic ability, only the ability to see the line and hit the ball in that direction.

I've started doing all my pre-round practice putts with one hand... it really gives you a feel for the stroke...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I've started doing all my pre-round practice putts with one hand... it really gives you a feel for the stroke...

I do the same thing. It really lets you feel the speed, and it makes you really focus if you want to make putts one handed.

Generally speaking, if I can find the little cup that I have that you set the ball in to draw the line then I do.

I've learned to trust it as it has proven to be a very good indicator of path for me.

The times that I have stood over the putt and disregarded the alignment line have always proven disasterous for me -

I walk away quoting the famous Roberto DiVicenzo line - "what a stupid I am " - lol

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

• 2 weeks later...

If you use one of the balancers and the ball keeps returning to the same point, you have a bad ball. Check out the video on Ralph Maltbys site about it. Its amazing how much of a difference it makes. Also it does still happen quite a bit. I went through my balls after watching it and ended up throwing away about 1/4 of my balls and relegated another 1/4 to practice only.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

On Saturday playing with Matt, I was using the line on my ball the front nine. I was putting like total crap. Trying anything to mix it up, I stopped doing that. I simply marked my ball, replaced it and putted. Much better results - even on long putts.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I must have said this before, but that was months ago, so again: I do draw one, but I don't use it to line up because it makes the process too exacting. What I do is place it about perpendicular to the putting line, which to me is a happy medium.

A line on the ball is too demanding. If you use it to line up, the line points in a different direction if you stand a bit different over the ball, and that can't be helped at times. If you are standing on a slope, even a very subtle slope, your orientation changes and the same thing happens if the ball is also on a slope. There are also a flock of other little things that can change your orientation that little bit.

I find it a lot faster and easier to just look for a mark near my ball on the ground to orient my line and a mark near the hole to gauge my needed speed.

Shambles

On Saturday playing with Matt, I was using the line on my ball the front nine. I was putting like total crap. Trying anything to mix it up, I stopped doing that. I simply marked my ball, replaced it and putted. Much better results - even on long putts.

I also did this on Saturday. I have been struggling with the putter so far this year, so I put a line on my ball. I had 20 putts on the front, so I stopped using the line on the back and had 19 putts. HORRIBLE, 8 over par with 39 putts. I have played 12 rounds this year and I'm hitting 80% fairways, 85% greens, but the best round I've shot so far is 74, because I'm averaging 36 (thats right AVERAGING 36) putts per round. I lost all touch with the short stick over the Winter.

• 7 months later...

I tried the line thing and it only aggreviated me. As I said on another thread on here I mark my TITLEIST with 6 dots around the number. I do use the line thing if I am helping someone with their putting to illustrate how the ball will roll etc and also to see what kind of roll they are putting on it. As far as for me putting I get my line of putt place my ball with the logo up and go from there I dont even really line up the logo. But as they sa in golf and life "different strokes for different folks" whatever works for you.

EDIT: I mark the six dots around the number on both sides

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I don't draw lines or put dots or marks of any kind. I draw an imaginary line from my putter through the ball and down my intended line. Tried the line a long time ago and it does take to long like others say, then I second guess if its off line then would take even longer. I would like a ball with as small a logo as you could get nothing to busy.

Sacrifice Or Regret...You Choose!

For some strange reasons, my good shots tend to happen with old scuffed balls. My new balls loves water, thick bushes, pot bunkers :D

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I have tried using drawn lines to align, and not using them at all. I get equally bad results from both.

Using lines to align works best on straight putts. But if you are facing a breaking putt, which is like 90% of the time, having a line on the ball probably complicates things.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 4 weeks later...

I draw a line with a blue sharpie.....directly under the brand name of the ball....This is NOT for alignment purposes! Rather it is purely for ball identification. I use the blue sharpie as I am a UK fan.(Go Big Blue!)

The line simply helps me identify my ball in play quicker.

As for alignment, most balls come with one.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived