TESTERS WANTED! ×

Quick Review: Titleist ProV1X

Matt Saternus

Ok, this is the last of my ball reviews, unless/until I try out the Bridgestone B330RX (I'm waiting, Sactown). Today's round was played with one of my last new sleeves of ProV1X's that I've been doling out as judiciously as possible. Here I go:

Long Game

With the driver, the ProV1X is, for me, the second longest ball that I've tested (second only to, you guessed it, the Gamer). On average hits, it stays right with the pack around 240-250, but on a nice flush hit it seems to go farther than the others. I also found that the ProV1X was the second straightest, again, right behind the Gamer. I only hit 1 ball crooked today, and that was a very poor swing. I pushed a couple, but no real curve.

Off the irons, the ball performed as expected. Appropriate distances, good spin, no problems

Short Game

This is where the ball truly shines. Nothing spins as much as a ProV1 for me, at least nothing that I've tried. On half wedges, the ball checks up nicely and rolls to a stop. On full wedges, it stops and might spin back a bit depending on the green conditions. One shot that I know none of these other balls could replicate: I hit a full lob wedge on a really low (relative to a lob wedge), boring trajectory, right on the flag and in the air I was begging for it to stop. It landed, skipped forward, and stopped. Perfection.

Off the putter, no ball feels better to me. I've tried at least 8 different balls in a feel test with a variety of my Byron putters and nothing else is close.

Overall

If I had unlimited funds, I would have a big stash of Gamers and ProV1X's and I would pick the ball of the day based on what I needed. Long course? Gamer. Need lots of spin around the greens? ProV1X. As it is, with my very limited funds, I'll probably just play the Gamer. I will say that, for me, there is something special about looking down and seeing that classic script logo. I know that's nothing but brand-washing, but it is what it is.

Final ball ranking (factoring in value):

Top Flite Gamer

Titleist ProV1X

Taylormade Burner TP

Taylormade TP Black

Bridgestone E6+

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Top Flite Gamer

Titleist ProV1X

Taylormade Burner TP

Taylormade TP Black

Bridgestone E6+

Creative putting the Bridgestones that far down. I'm a little surprised that you put the Burner TP over the TP Black, but that's conversation for another thread.

Creative putting the Bridgestones that far down. I'm a little surprised that you put the Burner TP over the TP Black, but that's conversation for another thread.

As I said, the ranking takes value into account. The TP Black is not twice as good as the Burner TP.

• SPY VIP

Performance off the driver. I had a sleeve of each and the X just crushed the 1 in terms of straightness and wind performance.

It sounds like you really like it for spin though. Doesn't the V1 spin more?

What is your driver ss, btw?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It sounds like you really like it for spin though. Doesn't the V1 spin more?

What is your driver ss, btw?

I do like spin, that's the selling point for the ProV, and the V1 does spin more, but for me, the ProV1 performs so poorly off the driver that I never got to the green.

Driver SS is around 100. Probably a bit better in the middle of a round, but around 100 is what comes up on the simulators/flight monitors that I've been on.

• SPY VIP

I do like spin, that's the selling point for the ProV, and the V1 does spin more, but for me, the ProV1 performs so poorly off the driver that I never got to the green.

Driver SS is around 100. Probably a bit better in the middle of a round, but around 100 is what comes up on the simulators/flight monitors that I've been on.

Dude, at 100mph, hit the 330rx tomorrow. Buy a sleeve and enjoy the driving pleasure...

Volvo Intorqueo

Dude, at 100mph, hit the 330rx tomorrow. Buy a sleeve and enjoy the driving pleasure...

Argh...the only place to buy them is at the pro shop where I will be fleeced. I will not stand for it! When I get home I'll try to find a sleeve for cheap and give them a whack.

• SPY VIP

Argh...the only place to buy them is at the pro shop where I will be fleeced. I will not stand for it! When I get home I'll try to find a sleeve for cheap and give them a whack.

Go crazy and spend the $4 a ball, it is the last day of your trip.

Eat off the dollar menu on the drive home to save the $$$ there, not on the course.

Volvo Intorqueo

Go crazy and spend the $4 a ball, it is the last day of your trip.

Eat off the dollar menu on the drive home to save the $$ there, not on the course.

Damn you and your hard sell...alright, if they have sleeves in the proshop, I'll buy one and post the review on Wednesday.

• SPY VIP

See there you go. One 99¢ value menu from a great ball.

If you don't like it, you can blame me.

I think that you will like it though...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

If I don't love it, you will never hear the end of it.

True, but I will have moved on to Gamers and WS FG Tour by then so I will just agree with your assessment. :unsure:

Volvo Intorqueo

True, but I will have moved on to Gamers and WS FG Tour by then so I will just agree with your assessment. :unsure:

Haha. I'm telling you, dollar for dollar, there isn't a better ball. I am really excited about the test though. Gotta get rested so it can get a fair shake. Night all.

Wow. Gamer then V1X??? i am surprised.. Gamer must be really good. I just do not play enough to test all of these balls.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I first reaction when reading the title of this review was - do we really need a review on the most popular golf ball on the planet? But, you did good and the comparisons were interesting. Nice job.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

He REALLY dislikes the E6 due to lack of spin. that was in his E6 review...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Wow, the Gamer is that high on your list, huh?

Hmm...Maybe I should try them out! :)

Golf Galaxy had them on sale for $18 a box. I even took one out of the sleeve to look at it. But, in the end, I just couldn't do it. Guess I'm a ball snob.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Haha. I'm telling you, dollar for dollar, there isn't a better ball. I am really excited about the test though. Gotta get rested so it can get a fair shake. Night all.

Well... what happened?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you posted an RX review. I will go over and read that...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 10 years later...
On 3/22/2010 at 8:43 PM, Matt Saternus said:

Ok, this is the last of my ball reviews, unless/until I try out the Bridgestone B330RX (I'm waiting, Sactown). Today's round was played with one of my last new sleeves of ProV1X's that I've been doling out as judiciously as possible. Here I go:

Long Game

With the driver, the ProV1X is, for me, the second longest ball that I've tested (second only to, you guessed it, the Gamer). On average hits, it stays right with the pack around 240-250, but on a nice flush hit it seems to go farther than the others. I also found that the ProV1X was the second straightest, again, right behind the Gamer. I only hit 1 ball crooked today, and that was a very poor swing. I pushed a couple, but no real curve.

Off the irons, the ball performed as expected. Appropriate distances, good spin, no problems

Short Game

This is where the ball truly shines. Nothing spins as much as a ProV1 for me, at least nothing that I've tried. On half wedges, the ball checks up nicely and rolls to a stop. On full wedges, it stops and might spin back a bit depending on the green conditions. One shot that I know none of these other balls could replicate: I hit a full lob wedge on a really low (relative to a lob wedge), boring trajectory, right on the flag and in the air I was begging for it to stop. It landed, skipped forward, and stopped. Perfection.

Off the putter, no ball feels better to me. I've tried at least 8 different balls in a feel test with a variety of my Byron putters and nothing else is close.

Overall

If I had unlimited funds, I would have a big stash of Gamers and ProV1X's and I would pick the ball of the day based on what I needed. Long course? Gamer. Need lots of spin around the greens? ProV1X. As it is, with my very limited funds, I'll probably just play the Gamer. I will say that, for me, there is something special about looking down and seeing that classic script logo. I know that's nothing but brand-washing, but it is what it is.

Top Flite Gamer

Titleist ProV1X

Taylormade Burner TP

Taylormade TP Black

Bridgestone E6+

On 3/26/2010 at 7:48 AM, Addicted2Golf said:

Golf Galaxy had them on sale for $18 a box. I even took one out of the sleeve to look at it. But, in the end, I just couldn't do it. Guess I'm a ball snob.

I love using this ball.... when I find them on the course haha! They play well when I find them, which is very often!

1. Driver: Taylormade R7/ Fujikura Stiff (Need to upgrade)
  2. Fairway Wood: Cleveland Launcher/ Pro Launch Blue
  3. Titleist T-100/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
  4. Long Island, New York
  5. 11 Handicap

TEN YEARS AGO?! Wow. This is an OLLLLLLLD thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX