Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Question - About Wilson Golf

GolfSpy_X

Irons. Wilson makes some of the best irons in the game.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I expect my mind would be changed if I actually hit their clubs...but until then....I can't help but think of their history. They are still a K-Mart club to me.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You can't top Wilson Staff irons...

Ok, yeah you can, technically, but you know what I mean. I've got three different sets and they all feel so excellent. The quality of Wilson Staff's products is far better than the quality of the Walmart clubs made by Wilson. At any rate, a purely struck forged W/S iron feels every bit as slick and satisfying as any trendy manufacturer out there, and even more than most. I still can't get into the feel of a Taylormade iron.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I think of top class irons. My dad always played staff (FG17 I believe) and I think my grandpa did too. Along with the recent resurgence of their irons, as evidence on this site, I put them up there with Mizuno for iron legacy.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

When I think of Wilson, I think of terrible golf clubs that 10 year olds and uninformed recreational golfers who don't care about their clubs buy.

When I think of Wilson Staff, I think of damn good iron and hybrid / fwys (whatever you want to call the Fybrid). I don't like their drivers / fwys or wedges and putters. Just the irons and Fybrid. I like their golf balls too. Almost put Ci11s in the bag a few months ago, but the Hogans were just a tad better...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Today I think of Wilson as golf manufacturer that appeals to the higher handicap player. In years past, I've owned three sets of Wilson made irons... the Haig Ultra version of their popular fluid feel Wilson Staff irons. That history should make me a Wilson fan, but I just don't see Wilson clubs as appealing to the better player. I'm sure their quality is excellent, but I see the company as focusing on producing clubs for higher handicap players instead of the better player.

I think of the FG Staff irons, which I have never hit but am always drawn to at the golf shop. Its a company I think I should try, but for no good reason haven't.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Lacking panache.

No shiny wedges, no adjustable driver, no cool custom shaft options at a decent price, no grabbing graphics on anything.

I'll give them that those FG irons look gorgeous but they're rather hard to hit. Wilson needs something that looks good while still being playable. The Ci11's for example are a good playing iron head just with a overall look that fades into nothing.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

In a word- Cheap. As a brand I would drop them in a box with Dunlop, Slazenger and (sadly) Hogan.

Wilson Staff on the other hand has a much better reputation. I think of top quality golf balls at a good price, and quality irons.

I don't really think of woods at all for either Brand.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

I think about the girl who asked the hacker with the attitude if he "Want to play a round?" Other than that I do not think about them much, unless I am having a conversation with Richard or Jeremy here on this site. :P

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Its funny that you guys have such a low opinion of Wilson because one of my fav putters ever was the Wilson Augusta. It was a total Titleist Bullseye clone but it was affordable, had a soft feel and put a nice roll on the ball.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Its funny that you guys have such a low opinion of Wilson because one of my fav putters ever was the Wilson Augusta. It was a total Titleist Bullseye clone but it was affordable, had a soft feel and put a nice roll on the ball.

One of my best friends uses this putter still.

One of my best friends uses this putter still.

I holed many a 20' putt with the one that I had. Up until I could afford to buy a real Bullseye, it served me well.

I holed many a 20' putt with the one that I had. Up until I could afford to buy a real Bullseye, it served me well.

He has not holed many putts with it. He uses this putter, Ping Zing2 irons. And until I bought him a Nickent 12* driver and he literally took a 3 wood and a hybrid out of my bag he played just the Ping irons.

He is going to shoot 85. He is going to drink 2 beers on the Fromt and 3 on the back with a bag of peanuts He will miss more putts than he makes.

A few guys have mentioned it, and it is critical when discussing Wilson Golf, and that is differenciating between the Wilson line & the Staff line..The Staff is Tour quality equipment & the general Wilson line is big box...

ya, but it is darn near impossible to separate the two. And I'd bet 99% of golfers think they are one in the same.

Again, I'm sure my mind could be changed by trying them.....but for now......

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

My favorite quote is "perception is reality" and right now people percieve Wilson as "crap." the FG Tour line of clubs are actually nice to hit, but i'm not a fan of shiney chrome. The lack of proper woods and wedges hurts their name as well. The last thing about Wilson that doesnt meet the expectations of people is the lack of Tour Players, which is why a lot of people dont mention them with the big boys of golf OEM's.

Are the new D-100's Wilson or Wilson Staff? Golf Magazine did a 2 page review spread of the new iron and the BIG BOLD heading says "Wilson" not Wilson Staff. Maybe I estimated low thinking 99% don't know the difference.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I just saw that spread too. I will ask Michael Vrska, their head of R&D, what the distinction is. I can say with certainty that the D100 is not a Wal-Mart club, it's a legit club gamed at the game improvement market. I might even know someone who is gaming them...very happily.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

ya, but it is darn near impossible to separate the two. And I'd bet 99% of golfers think they are one in the same

I thought they were two different companies until recently. But maybe I am in the 1%.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Irons and good old Padraig Harrington. That's a championship winning combination. One of the best irons and the game in the hands of one of the best players in the game.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I know we aren't supposed to consider their history but when I think of Wilson I think of the 6 iron Alan Sheperd hit on the moon. Wilson is the only golf club to be played on another celestial body besides the earth. That just blows my mind. I think one of those Wilson 6 irons traveled close to 400 yards. That has to be some kind of record for a 6 iron.

Don't care about the history of Wilson, history is passed. Do like Paddy. Do loooove the Tour V2. These were on my shortlist. BUT, Wilson is not active in my domestic market. So if you are not in the market, how can you hope to sell ?

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

The only thing is if someone would make a comment about Wilson being a "big box" club manufacturer around "serious" players, they obviously are either(I'm not refering to you BK): 1) New to the game, with no knowlege of the current market place or 2) a high hdcper, with no knowledge of the current market place

Or three: live in Canada. They don't stock Wilson anything here but the DI line. Everything is a custom, blind order at pretty much full MSRP.

Hard to say the irons even in the same ball park to Mizuno/Titleist (which is what sells here aside from Ping) when you can't even seen them in hand let alone hit them.

After seeing that for a number of years here, Wilson isn't even on my radar when I look at replacing a club.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Sorry bout forgettin my northern neighbors, no intentional...lol..

Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Or down here in New Zealand (at least as far as I can find). The one WilsonStaff stockist in my city of 1 million has the DXi line and thats it. I'm really keen on testing out the FYbrid RS Fairway woods. The store manager did say that he "cooouuuld probably" order some in, but made it sound like it was a real inconvenience...

You know I thought this was a good design. And I liked the concept of having the weight placed at a different position in the head depending on the loft. That had some potential for further development:

smooth.jpg

I also thought this was in interesting idea. Terrible name, but it looked good and the onset design was pretty original.

Wilson%20Staff%20Shockwave%20Driver.jpg

Even the old Wilson Spine was original. Ugly. But original.

Wilson%20Spine%20Driver_175.jpg

Compared to these drivers, the new ones really seem to have taken a step backwards in design. They look old, and they look cheap. I am really not sure what they are thinking with the new D100. Why would I buy it instead of an Octane? The Octane is a similar looking model with a better overall design, it will be cheaper, and it will perform just as well if not better.

In Play

Warming the bench

I think Irons, Paddy Harrington, their 50/50 graphite/iron shafts and for some reason, the name of their FYbrids sticks in my head, nifty name.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived