TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course Management for hackers

I find it hard to understand what fun is golf if you play from tee to green with 7 / 8 iron from tee to green? Yes your scores would be much better, but you leave the course feeling like you didn't quite had a round of golf.

What's more, golf clubs comes in a set, whether you use it or not, you already paid for your Drivers, Woods and long irons, maybe that's why some people insist on using them on the course against all odds. But the best thing for hackers is to go take some lessons, not go to the golf course and slow other people down. After that, go to the driving range and get your swing working.

Do not waste time and money playing in golf course when you really should be spending time at the practice tee / green. Not only you frustrate yourself, you frustrate others.

While I have played one club, or three club rounds, it is for two purposes. The first is to learn to hit different shots with the same club. The second is to teach you course management. To prove to yourself that you do not have to hit the driver on every hole when you end up in trouble with it.

I personally do not like to hit balls on the range. I feel I do not learn near as much when aiming at a 100 yard wide x 300 yard long pasture. I would much rather hit a couple of balls off the teebox or two or five from the fairway or whatever. Now, I also admit that I have to pay for range balls, we have a yearly program but I do not participate in that, but I have my own cart and pay the same monthly rate no matter how many times I go to the course. Therefore, I go almost every day even if just for an hour. I have gone and played 3 holes and left.

I also am not talking about playing during peak time. A couple of times this year we met at 5:30 and played a 3 club match. Actually, it was 4 clubs because any three clubs and a putter. We walked, which is something that we normally do not do, 5 pm in Texas in August is not the best time to walk, and carried our clubs in our hands. We did play with just 6 irons on a Saturday afternoon after our regular round but once again it was not crowded. My club did not allow non members on weekends and when it is 100 degrees the members are there early and late.

I did recommend that since he had trouble with the driver, and hit his 4 hybrid well, to leave the driver in the bag and hit the 4 hybrid.

If you are happy with the scores you shoot, keep doing what you were doing. If not, try something different.

As far as course management goes, I was in the semi finals of a match play tournament yesterday, and my opponant took out his driver on a 330 yard par 4 with a stream running accross the fairway at 220, a lake on the right and trees on the left and everything left of center was blocked from the green. If he clears the creek, trees, and lake he still has a second shot of 60 to 70 yards. But instead he pulled out the driver and hit it right behind the trees and has to pitch back to the fairway. He did stuff like this on 5 holes and as poorly as I was playing that was the only reason it was not over long before the first playoff hole.

Course management and short game were the only reasons I advanced.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

IMHO Course management depends on what you want to achieve.

You want to play the course with the lowest score: play safe when there is bigger than a 30% of hitting it into trouble.

You want to learn how to maximize your game: Take that round to learn how to hit that 4h 180 over water and stopping it quickly instead of bailing out to the left and short with your 6iron at 155 yards. It may cost you a ball but it is part of your development as a player.You will be able to "call on" that shot in your mind later on when it is needed.

I usually take on most shots that I have a 30-40% chance of executing on normal rounds, it's only money (ball and bets). Tournament time I will take it on when I have about 65-70% chance of pulling it off.

Eventually as you learn how to pull those shots off the percentages increase, makes them easier to pull off.

For me, the best way to improve on long putts is to practice putting with my right hand (I am right handed and putt right hand low, "normal" if you will). I view my right hand as my "distance control hand" and my left as my "accuracy hand". When I have a long putt that I'm primarily just wanting to get close, I make sure my left hand is very relaxed, just along for the ride and my right hand is dominant in the stroke. When I've got a putt I want to make, I focus on my left hand and not letting my wrists break down. Now, obviously, it is never really just one hand or the other, both have to function through the putting stroke from either distance, but the change in focus for me minimizes the really bad putts.

Try practicing putting with both your right and your left hands only, it will give you an idea of how they work together and the right hand particularly will get you a better feel for distance putts, it also shows you how to relax your hands. As you're putting right handed visualize that you are tossing the ball towards the hole, hell, even toss a few balls at the hole to give yourself a sense of the pace you want, then with your right hand putting, "toss" the ball at the hole. Left handed only will keep your left wrist from breaking down in the stroke.

thanks for the tip, tyk!

i have tried this before, hitting 30 or so putts with the left hand only, then 30 more with the right hand only. i only did this from 3 feet though. it does give one a very good sense of the role each hand plays in the putting stroke.

what kind of distances to you go up to when practicing like this?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

thanks for all the tips again, guys.

i'm in the lucky position to play two weekends in a row, this coming saturday. and i'm hoping it goes better.

at least i will have some time to hit a few balls at the range beforehand. i've found that helps alot before a round. this past saturday we were teeing off at 7am, and we had a 40 min drive to the course. warm up consisted of about 10 putts, and a few practice swings.

this weekend i'll be much better prepared before teeing off.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I practice long putts with the right hand, about the longest somewhat flat putt on our practice green is about 30', which is long enough! I practice 6-7 footers with the left hand because those are the ones that really irritate me to miss! I'd say the right handed drill is better for distance than the left handed drill is for accuracy, I still miss too many 5-10 footers!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I practice long putts with the right hand, about the longest somewhat flat putt on our practice green is about 30', which is long enough! I practice 6-7 footers with the left hand because those are the ones that really irritate me to miss! I'd say the right handed drill is better for distance than the left handed drill is for accuracy, I still miss too many 5-10 footers!

thanks, tyk.

i'll keep that in mind.

i've got a 13.5ft birdieball putting green at home. so i try to get at least an hour worth of putting practice each week (work is a little hectic right now, would like it to be at least 2 hours, maybe even 3).

i mostly practice the 3 footers, and recently started doing the 3 putts from 3ft, then 3 putts from 6 ft, and finally 3 putts from 9 feet. i'm supposed to make all of them, but it is quite hard.

last night i changed this up, and instead did 4 putts from 3, 4, 5 and 6 feet. in total, i have to make 24 putts in a row before i can put the green away.

i have the green laid out in a spot that is dead straight, so the putts aren't hard. but once you get to the 5 and 6 ft mark, the pressure mounts, as a single missed putt, means i have to start over.

i have probably read of a 100 people recommending putting drills like these, and i think it is already paying some dividends. i sank some pressure putts this weekend, and i wasn't too stressed out when over the ball.

will definitely do the right hand drill when i can get to a practice green.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• 1 month later...

Dwight shrute doesn't play golf, at least I don't think so. If he did, he would be the king of game management.

image.jpg

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I'm not sure who it was, but someone on here gave me this advice and even as a lower handicap, it has helped my game a ton. Take the shortest club you can put in the fairway, still leaving yourself a shot to the green. For example, my home course has a 290yd par 4; I can hit driver on or inside 30yds every time I play it, but there are trees on both sides of the green and a bunker front left.........I bring in a lot of trouble hitting a driver. However, I can take an 8I and hit it 160yds to the widest part of the fairway and leave myself a full PW in; I have birdied that hole many more times this way, rather than trying to drive the green.

I've said it many times, I'm way more accurate with a 7I from the fairway than I am with a 3/4 SW from the rough.

• SPY VIP

I'm not sure who it was, but someone on here gave me this advice and even as a lower handicap, it has helped my game a ton. Take the shortest club you can put in the fairway, still leaving yourself a shot to the green. For example, my home course has a 290yd par 4; I can hit driver on or inside 30yds every time I play it, but there are trees on both sides of the green and a bunker front left.........I bring in a lot of trouble hitting a driver. However, I can take an 8I and hit it 160yds to the widest part of the fairway and leave myself a full PW in; I have birdied that hole many more times this way, rather than trying to drive the green.

I've said it many times, I'm way more accurate with a 7I from the fairway than I am with a 3/4 SW from the rough.

I like this advice a lot.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

hi all

i keep reading about course management, and would like to learn more.

i'm currently a 29 handicap, and i feel that i should easily be much closer to a 20, or 24 at the very least.

i would like to hear your thoughts on how courses are designed to 'trick' players into attempting shots they perhaps shouldn't, and some other tips to help as high handicappers shave some shots.

i'm thinking along the lines of the following:

1. close to the green, putt if you can. otherwise chip. pitch is the last option.

2. maybe learn to putt with hybrid from off the green

little things like that, that in your opinion, might help myself, and other high-handicappers get around in a few shots less. i know there are a whole bunch of guys that play to single digits, if you could think back to that time where you were shooting some high scores, and tell us how you managed to play smarter golf.

thanks!

The game is played in the mind and the most important tool is knowing what you actually carry with each club and under what conditions you can carry that distance. Just knowing these two things intimately will pretty much dictate your strategy for the round.

Shambles

Take enough club on your approach shots - you hear it all the time from pros that their amateur partners don't take enough club - I see it all the time with the higher handicappers that I play with - they very regularly don't hit enough club -

I think this goes hand in hand with Shambles' comment -

Bottom line until you have an even division between shots past the pin and shots short - you aren't taking enough club on your approaches.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Take enough club on your approach shots - you hear it all the time from pros that their amateur partners don't take enough club -

Especially, now when those of us North of the Equator are having cooler weather. The temperature today was in the 60's and I was a good 5 yards less than last week on almost every club.

Especially, now when those of us North of the Equator are having cooler weather. The temperature today was in the 60's and I was a good 5 yards less than last week on almost every club.

In the 60's? Goin out to play tomorrow here in Michigan, it's gonna be low 40s. It's gettin cold way too fast. With all the combined factors in this cold I lose some serious distance too. I now take one club more for approach shots, even taking in to account the extra roll I get on the greens. (In the summer I get little to no role, now I get about 10 feet of release.)

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Course management for hackers can be summed up really quickly. Keep the ball in play and work on your short game.

I just finished a round today and we had a new member in the group. After several drinks in the bar he brought up that today I was just about the worst ball striker he had ever seen. He kept count, and I hit 1 fairway and two greens, and shot 80. He on the other hand hit 14 fairways and 11 greens and shot a 79. He did not understand how someone could hit that many bad shots and still make par and the worst I did was bogey.

It is all about short game.

Thanks, guys!

Working on my short game, especially putting. My chipping is getting to a point where I am confident of getting it close.

One of the forum members mentioned elsewhere that the more confident you are with the putter in hand, the easier chipping becomes. And the easier chipping becomes, the easier pitching becomes.

I think it is related to the fact that I know I have a good chance of sinking a 5 footer these days, which takes the pressure off of my chipping. With my chipping confidence on the up, I am hoping that it will take the pressure off my pitching. Pitching is one of my weaknesses right now.

Because I am lacking in confidence, I don't commit to the shot. And I think we all know what that leads to.

But I am working on it, and before long, I WILL be a great pitcher!

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Course management for hackers can be summed up really quickly. Keep the ball in play and work on your short game.

I just finished a round today and we had a new member in the group. After several drinks in the bar he brought up that today I was just about the worst ball striker he had ever seen. He kept count, and I hit 1 fairway and two greens, and shot 80. He on the other hand hit 14 fairways and 11 greens and shot a 79. He did not understand how someone could hit that many bad shots and still make par and the worst I did was bogey.

It is all about short game.

Totally agree. There is two parts to this though in my mind. The first is putting yourself in a position where your short game can at least save par. Keep the ball in play, avoid blow up holes. If you have given the hole away before your short game can save it, then you are in a bad position. Say you hit a bad drive, don't try the savior shot, just give yourself a chance for your short game to save par. The short game doesn't matter if the ole and round is given away before you can even let the short game take effect.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Totally agree. There is two parts to this though in my mind. The first is putting yourself in a position where your short game can at least save par. Keep the ball in play, avoid blow up holes. If you have given the hole away before your short game can save it, then you are in a bad position. Say you hit a bad drive, don't try the savior shot, just give yourself a chance for your short game to save par. The short game doesn't matter if the ole and round is given away before you can even let the short game take effect.

Twice today on the same hole, I played 30 holes, because it is freaking 71* and sunny two days before Thanksgiving. And twice on the sixth hole I drove my ball into a dead area. To go for the green you have to hit over trees and over a lake. Both times I layed up. Since I was laying up I did not aim anywhere near the green. Both times I played it to 50 yards away from the water. Both times I made par. Almost anyone could have made bogey playing it that way. After I made the bad drives, it was simply advance the ball and do not make anything more than bogey. I got lucky and made two pretty long putts for par.

For what it's worth. This year I took the driver and the 3 wood out the bag as I can't keep them in the fairway. I tee off with the hybrid ! And honestly, I only miss the driver, lack distance, on the long par 4's, not on the par 5's.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Twice today on the same hole, I played 30 holes, because it is freaking 71* and sunny two days before Thanksgiving. And twice on the sixth hole I drove my ball into a dead area. To go for the green you have to hit over trees and over a lake. Both times I layed up. Since I was laying up I did not aim anywhere near the green. Both times I played it to 50 yards away from the water. Both times I made par. Almost anyone could have made bogey playing it that way. After I made the bad drives, it was simply advance the ball and do not make anything more than bogey. I got lucky and made two pretty long putts for par.

It almost always pays off too when you make the smart play, I never find myself making more than a bogey that way. On the other hand, it is rare that it every pays off when I try the savior shot, I usually always end up with bogey or worse. Its all about taking your medicine and swallowing your pride.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Bogie or worse? I swallow my pride for the bogie. When I try to play Johnny Miller, circa 1974, I end up in double-trip land, though I've only had two trips this year & 11 doubles, so I am thinkin better than I used to.LOL. I think it's that maturity thing. LMAO

Truly, last year I had 13 rounds where a double or worse kept me from goin in the red. I got no problem makin birds, but I also had no trouble throwin up a double or two, tryin stupid sh*t.

That was my New Year's Resolution. Seriously, to quit thinkin like an *sshole & start thinkin like my hdcp would indicate that I should think.LOL

Good post JHG

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Definitely. Sometimes I find myself taking shots just because I feel like I should be taking them, like I am capable of the, so I should. I find it more when I play by myself which might not be expected, but I am out to not embarrass myself versus sowing off if I'm playing with others. I am getting better though, just have to accept that I can't make the shot most of the time and play it safe. I do agree its a maturity thing, but more of a golf maturity thing that many times comes with golf experience, or I guess sometimes life experience too. I wouldn't have to make birdies though if I just didn't make double bogies.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Archived