Try to place your tee shot so that your second shot has the best chance of avoiding a green side bunker. For example a par four has a bunker guarding the front left corner of a green. I'll try to make my tee shot land on the right half of the fairway, so when I hit my second shot I'm not having to hit over the bunker in the front left corner.

I spy with my little eye something...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow guys, i don't know where to start thanking you all.

RoverRick, first off. you have written some really long posts, and even though you mention you type quite fast, it still must have taken you some time to do. thanks a whole bunch!

Richie3Jack, Tyk, SuperTuna, BobTrumpet, RevKev, WDGolf, finalist...

All of your input is appreciated, and I will take it to the course tomorrow. Now my damn ego must just not get in the way of the smart plays. my best score so far this year was a 100, and i need to break that. but i'm trying really hard not to focus on score, and rather focus on all the great advice and the outcome of each shot.

thanks, Tyk. I just saw my post in the newsletter. This is the second week in a row I got a post in the newsletter. Feels kinda nice. Excuse me while I give myself a little tap on the shoulder ;-)

anyway, really feel like i am much better prepared mentally for tomorrow's round than any of my recent rounds.

as for the ball i'm playing, i'm playing the Wilson True ball (not the Wilson Staff True). supposed to be low spinning.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilson-True-Golf-Balls-24pk/dp/B002XDQHSG

as for my FW, i've got a 4 wood. but it will be staying at home, since i've only hit about 6/7 shots at the range with it.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

hi all

i tried implementing these strategies on saturday during my round. i wish i could post that i played a great round.

unfortunately i couldn't get my 4H to work off the tee. i was hitting it everywhere, but the short stuff. and i wasn't getting much distance with it, as i couldn't make decent contact (i think i pressured myself too much as my opponent was driving it long and straight all day).

and contrary to your advice, i didn't take the driver out of the bag. i did however only hit 2 tee shots, and took 2 penalties. i have to add that these were on holes with a forced carry, where my hybrid might have gotten me into trouble as well. but i really shouldn't have hit driver.

anyways, on the first 9 i shot 59. which is my equal worst score over 9 holes. three putted 3 times, although i'm not too disappointed with this, since i hit some good second putts that grazed the hole (these were 5/6 footers).

at the turn, i was down by 4 shots. and after the 10th hole i was down by 5. i did however pull it back to even with 3 holes to go. and if it hadn't been for my opponent walking across my line of vision on topped tee shot, and an unlucky shot hitting a branch, i might have won by a stroke.

but over the second nine my iron play especially, was much better and i shot a 50 (i think my best score over 9 holes, is a 48. so i'm fairly happy with that).

i sank some big pressure putts. including one from off the green, to pull back to even with my opponent. and over the last three holes i had to sink two 5 footers (after my opponent had holed out), just to remain even with him.

if my tee shots had been better on the day, i would have done much better. i also had about 3 duffed pitch shots.

things that hurt my score the most, was two penalties on my driver on the last two holes of the front 9 (might have meant the difference between 59 and 55ish), and making 6 triple bogeys on the day.

i reckon i have to go see my pro again, to see if we can work on my tee shots. i have to build some confidence, or at least get some kind of go-to shot that can get the ball in the fairway around the 200yd mark. if i were able to do that on saturday, i would have scored much better.

i am proud to say that i did come back from 5 shots down with 6 holes to play, to end at even with my opponent.

my opponent was driving the ball extremely well. and i actually gave him an old 7 wood of mine, and he was creaming it left, right and center. his long game performing so well on the day, probably made me think too much about hitting good tee shots. luckily my short game was better than his, on the second nine.

i might be playing this saturday again, and i hope to do much better.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

although i am fairly happy with my putting, i am still leaving myself with putts that are too long after my first putt. i did however have a couple of great two putts, from 40 feet and out. which previously i wouldn't have been able to do.

all the putting practice is starting to pay off.

just a quick question, when doing putting stats, does one count putts from off the green, or only putts on the putting surface?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

just a quick question, when doing putting stats, does one count putts from off the green, or only putts on the putting surface?

Track it any way that makes sense to you.....when you look at your stats, you want to know where you need to improve.

On the 4H......it's been a while since I used a hybrid under 25Ëš, but when I was trying them out I remember them starting to be inconsistent (for me) at about 22Ëš....anything lower lofted got increasingly less consistent. Take it FWIW.....everyone swings different ;)

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.0 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, March 2021
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B XS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

For me, the best way to improve on long putts is to practice putting with my right hand (I am right handed and putt right hand low, "normal" if you will). I view my right hand as my "distance control hand" and my left as my "accuracy hand". When I have a long putt that I'm primarily just wanting to get close, I make sure my left hand is very relaxed, just along for the ride and my right hand is dominant in the stroke. When I've got a putt I want to make, I focus on my left hand and not letting my wrists break down. Now, obviously, it is never really just one hand or the other, both have to function through the putting stroke from either distance, but the change in focus for me minimizes the really bad putts.

Try practicing putting with both your right and your left hands only, it will give you an idea of how they work together and the right hand particularly will get you a better feel for distance putts, it also shows you how to relax your hands. As you're putting right handed visualize that you are tossing the ball towards the hole, hell, even toss a few balls at the hole to give yourself a sense of the pace you want, then with your right hand putting, "toss" the ball at the hole. Left handed only will keep your left wrist from breaking down in the stroke.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Well, I wanted to implement the advice given, but I didn't and I really should have. Driver was pretty terrible for most of the round. 3 wood was only used twice. I shot a crowd pleasing 92.

Next time out it's 3 hybrid off the tee and on second shots on par 5's.

In regards to counting putts, I don't count it as a putt unless it's actually on the green itself.

Matt

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

A putt only counts as a putt when on the green. If you use a driver and hit the ball on the green it is a putt not a drive. Conversly if you use a putter from 50 yards out it is a chip not a putt. Officially.

I told myself this weekend on long putts, do not worry too much about the line. This is really the case on any putt. You have three putts because you are five feet short or long not five feet left or right. So since it was raining and the greens were breaking differently, one green there would be lots of break and the next it would hold the line. So I told myself, after I picked the line, distance. I would line up just off my line but parrallel to it, and thing "that is the line." Then I would take a swing that was intentionally too short and think "too short", one too hard and think "too long', and then two or three until I felt that was the right speed, and then think. "that is the speed." and then hit it. This also works with chipping. While I did not make near as many putts as I am used to. I did not have any three putts. I played like crap and my putting kept me in the tournament.

My course management is predicated on being able to hit the shots. I did not do that this weekend and was short it seemed like every hole. So I can understand the desire to hit the big club no matter what. I saw that this weekend and could not understand it, but by the end of the weekend, the desire was to get as close to the green as possible in the hopes of getting the next shot on the green. I resisted this impulse and I hoped I could break out of this slump but was trying too hard at the time to recover.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I find it hard to understand what fun is golf if you play from tee to green with 7 / 8 iron from tee to green? Yes your scores would be much better, but you leave the course feeling like you didn't quite had a round of golf.

What's more, golf clubs comes in a set, whether you use it or not, you already paid for your Drivers, Woods and long irons, maybe that's why some people insist on using them on the course against all odds. But the best thing for hackers is to go take some lessons, not go to the golf course and slow other people down. After that, go to the driving range and get your swing working.

Do not waste time and money playing in golf course when you really should be spending time at the practice tee / green. Not only you frustrate yourself, you frustrate others.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I find it hard to understand what fun is golf if you play from tee to green with 7 / 8 iron from tee to green? Yes your scores would be much better, but you leave the course feeling like you didn't quite had a round of golf.

What's more, golf clubs comes in a set, whether you use it or not, you already paid for your Drivers, Woods and long irons, maybe that's why some people insist on using them on the course against all odds. But the best thing for hackers is to go take some lessons, not go to the golf course and slow other people down. After that, go to the driving range and get your swing working.

Do not waste time and money playing in golf course when you really should be spending time at the practice tee / green. Not only you frustrate yourself, you frustrate others.

While I have played one club, or three club rounds, it is for two purposes. The first is to learn to hit different shots with the same club. The second is to teach you course management. To prove to yourself that you do not have to hit the driver on every hole when you end up in trouble with it.

I personally do not like to hit balls on the range. I feel I do not learn near as much when aiming at a 100 yard wide x 300 yard long pasture. I would much rather hit a couple of balls off the teebox or two or five from the fairway or whatever. Now, I also admit that I have to pay for range balls, we have a yearly program but I do not participate in that, but I have my own cart and pay the same monthly rate no matter how many times I go to the course. Therefore, I go almost every day even if just for an hour. I have gone and played 3 holes and left.

I also am not talking about playing during peak time. A couple of times this year we met at 5:30 and played a 3 club match. Actually, it was 4 clubs because any three clubs and a putter. We walked, which is something that we normally do not do, 5 pm in Texas in August is not the best time to walk, and carried our clubs in our hands. We did play with just 6 irons on a Saturday afternoon after our regular round but once again it was not crowded. My club did not allow non members on weekends and when it is 100 degrees the members are there early and late.

I did recommend that since he had trouble with the driver, and hit his 4 hybrid well, to leave the driver in the bag and hit the 4 hybrid.

If you are happy with the scores you shoot, keep doing what you were doing. If not, try something different.

As far as course management goes, I was in the semi finals of a match play tournament yesterday, and my opponant took out his driver on a 330 yard par 4 with a stream running accross the fairway at 220, a lake on the right and trees on the left and everything left of center was blocked from the green. If he clears the creek, trees, and lake he still has a second shot of 60 to 70 yards. But instead he pulled out the driver and hit it right behind the trees and has to pitch back to the fairway. He did stuff like this on 5 holes and as poorly as I was playing that was the only reason it was not over long before the first playoff hole.

Course management and short game were the only reasons I advanced.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

IMHO Course management depends on what you want to achieve.

You want to play the course with the lowest score: play safe when there is bigger than a 30% of hitting it into trouble.

You want to learn how to maximize your game: Take that round to learn how to hit that 4h 180 over water and stopping it quickly instead of bailing out to the left and short with your 6iron at 155 yards. It may cost you a ball but it is part of your development as a player.You will be able to "call on" that shot in your mind later on when it is needed.

I usually take on most shots that I have a 30-40% chance of executing on normal rounds, it's only money (ball and bets). Tournament time I will take it on when I have about 65-70% chance of pulling it off.

Eventually as you learn how to pull those shots off the percentages increase, makes them easier to pull off.

For me, the best way to improve on long putts is to practice putting with my right hand (I am right handed and putt right hand low, "normal" if you will). I view my right hand as my "distance control hand" and my left as my "accuracy hand". When I have a long putt that I'm primarily just wanting to get close, I make sure my left hand is very relaxed, just along for the ride and my right hand is dominant in the stroke. When I've got a putt I want to make, I focus on my left hand and not letting my wrists break down. Now, obviously, it is never really just one hand or the other, both have to function through the putting stroke from either distance, but the change in focus for me minimizes the really bad putts.

Try practicing putting with both your right and your left hands only, it will give you an idea of how they work together and the right hand particularly will get you a better feel for distance putts, it also shows you how to relax your hands. As you're putting right handed visualize that you are tossing the ball towards the hole, hell, even toss a few balls at the hole to give yourself a sense of the pace you want, then with your right hand putting, "toss" the ball at the hole. Left handed only will keep your left wrist from breaking down in the stroke.

thanks for the tip, tyk!

i have tried this before, hitting 30 or so putts with the left hand only, then 30 more with the right hand only. i only did this from 3 feet though. it does give one a very good sense of the role each hand plays in the putting stroke.

what kind of distances to you go up to when practicing like this?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

thanks for all the tips again, guys.

i'm in the lucky position to play two weekends in a row, this coming saturday. and i'm hoping it goes better.

at least i will have some time to hit a few balls at the range beforehand. i've found that helps alot before a round. this past saturday we were teeing off at 7am, and we had a 40 min drive to the course. warm up consisted of about 10 putts, and a few practice swings.

this weekend i'll be much better prepared before teeing off.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I practice long putts with the right hand, about the longest somewhat flat putt on our practice green is about 30', which is long enough! I practice 6-7 footers with the left hand because those are the ones that really irritate me to miss! I'd say the right handed drill is better for distance than the left handed drill is for accuracy, I still miss too many 5-10 footers!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I practice long putts with the right hand, about the longest somewhat flat putt on our practice green is about 30', which is long enough! I practice 6-7 footers with the left hand because those are the ones that really irritate me to miss! I'd say the right handed drill is better for distance than the left handed drill is for accuracy, I still miss too many 5-10 footers!

thanks, tyk.

i'll keep that in mind.

i've got a 13.5ft birdieball putting green at home. so i try to get at least an hour worth of putting practice each week (work is a little hectic right now, would like it to be at least 2 hours, maybe even 3).

i mostly practice the 3 footers, and recently started doing the 3 putts from 3ft, then 3 putts from 6 ft, and finally 3 putts from 9 feet. i'm supposed to make all of them, but it is quite hard.

last night i changed this up, and instead did 4 putts from 3, 4, 5 and 6 feet. in total, i have to make 24 putts in a row before i can put the green away.

i have the green laid out in a spot that is dead straight, so the putts aren't hard. but once you get to the 5 and 6 ft mark, the pressure mounts, as a single missed putt, means i have to start over.

i have probably read of a 100 people recommending putting drills like these, and i think it is already paying some dividends. i sank some pressure putts this weekend, and i wasn't too stressed out when over the ball.

will definitely do the right hand drill when i can get to a practice green.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• 1 month later...

Dwight shrute doesn't play golf, at least I don't think so. If he did, he would be the king of game management.

image.jpg

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I'm not sure who it was, but someone on here gave me this advice and even as a lower handicap, it has helped my game a ton. Take the shortest club you can put in the fairway, still leaving yourself a shot to the green. For example, my home course has a 290yd par 4; I can hit driver on or inside 30yds every time I play it, but there are trees on both sides of the green and a bunker front left.........I bring in a lot of trouble hitting a driver. However, I can take an 8I and hit it 160yds to the widest part of the fairway and leave myself a full PW in; I have birdied that hole many more times this way, rather than trying to drive the green.

I've said it many times, I'm way more accurate with a 7I from the fairway than I am with a 3/4 SW from the rough.

• SPY VIP

I'm not sure who it was, but someone on here gave me this advice and even as a lower handicap, it has helped my game a ton. Take the shortest club you can put in the fairway, still leaving yourself a shot to the green. For example, my home course has a 290yd par 4; I can hit driver on or inside 30yds every time I play it, but there are trees on both sides of the green and a bunker front left.........I bring in a lot of trouble hitting a driver. However, I can take an 8I and hit it 160yds to the widest part of the fairway and leave myself a full PW in; I have birdied that hole many more times this way, rather than trying to drive the green.

I've said it many times, I'm way more accurate with a 7I from the fairway than I am with a 3/4 SW from the rough.

I like this advice a lot.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

hi all

i keep reading about course management, and would like to learn more.

i'm currently a 29 handicap, and i feel that i should easily be much closer to a 20, or 24 at the very least.

i would like to hear your thoughts on how courses are designed to 'trick' players into attempting shots they perhaps shouldn't, and some other tips to help as high handicappers shave some shots.

i'm thinking along the lines of the following:

1. close to the green, putt if you can. otherwise chip. pitch is the last option.

2. maybe learn to putt with hybrid from off the green

little things like that, that in your opinion, might help myself, and other high-handicappers get around in a few shots less. i know there are a whole bunch of guys that play to single digits, if you could think back to that time where you were shooting some high scores, and tell us how you managed to play smarter golf.

thanks!

The game is played in the mind and the most important tool is knowing what you actually carry with each club and under what conditions you can carry that distance. Just knowing these two things intimately will pretty much dictate your strategy for the round.

Shambles