Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

My Tour Staff Contest Prizes

Tyk

I've loved seeing what everyone is going with! Seriously top notch effort put into this by the MGS guys and the sponsoring OEMS. Major props for that!

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful - my shoes arrived yesterday as well - this is my first moment to breath so I'll try to get a pic of them up soon. They fit like a glove!

Did you go for your Mizuno fitting yet? I had Brittany Linsicome's fitter do mine. Just sent my order to T - created my own sort of hybrid set between the JPX's and JPX pros. Should be fun once they get here.

T is still working on the reps from my area to get back with him. I have been looking at the Mizuno site daily though. I have an idea of what I like but unsure if they will be the best for my game. Only time will tell... How long did the Mizuno fitting take and what did it consist of?

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Thanks for the review Tyk - I'm so intrigued by these wedges - as the contest was progressing they were what I coveted the most (oops there goes the 10th commandment.) This Taylor Made fitting has my attention now though - Rookie Blue told me at MGS and the first thing that I read here was the blog about the fitting - I can't remember which one of our guys went out to California - it may have been Matt - but when I read what he got to do I thought - now that's a fitting. And now I'm looking at the same thing.

Plus I've been in stores looking at Mizunos - they do make a beautiful golf club.

The Mizuno blades and muscle backs are the most beautiful irons in golf hands down in my opinion. That being said, a buddy of mine was fitted for the JPX-800's last year and I'm telling you, those are some SWEET irons. The ball takes off like a rocket and they feel more solid than any game improvement iron I've ever hit. That includes my G20s (which I love BTW, no complaints at all with them). Another buddy of mine is a positive handicap golfer (used to play the mini tours) and he hits MP 67s and his long irons are MP 64s. I have hit them a few times on the range and was very surprised at how solid they felt to me. I didn't think a forged blade or muscle back could be as forgiving as those clubs seem to be (or either I was just swinging really well that day...LOL).

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

T is still working on the reps from my area to get back with him. I have been looking at the Mizuno site daily though. I have an idea of what I like but unsure if they will be the best for my game. Only time will tell... How long did the Mizuno fitting take and what did it consist of?

I also saw Bumpandrun's comments so this is applicable to both. I know the fitter that I was sent to a bit - he's a character (let the reader understand) and so I knew better than to say boo about what I thought I needed or how well I do or don't play - He regularly does equipment repair and fitting for several LPGA fitters including Brittany and tons of mini-tour and web.com tour players - you aren't going to impress this guy. You could look him up online - BobVanSweden golf - he has a nice indoor studio with a state of the art launch monitor. All of his fittings are done with new Penta TP 5's. The guy has won TMAG's national fitter of the year twice so he knows his stuff even if he's a bit unusual. I actually had a great time with him and he's willing to help my golf team out next spring so it was great morning. The session lasted about 2 hours.

To the nitty gritty: Mizuno has that shaft optimizer device that you've no doubt seen on the website. It goes on the shaft and you hit shots until you've made 3 good swings - I'm happy to report that after one trial swing I went three for three with it. It then spit out 6 recommended shafts which were displayed on a smart board off to the side. That was the only shocker for me - the top three were steel, the next one graphite, the next one steel and the bottom one graphite.

Next came the static measurement - no surprises - standard length, 2 degrees flat on the lie - standard grip. Next we tried all 6 shafts with a JPX 825 pro 6 iron head (proper lie), proper length shaft. The determination was that the stock dynalite R300 was the proper shaft for me - I knew that I'd be in a regular shaft so that part wasn't shocking it was just the steel part that surprised me.

We then moved on to the heads - I wanted to try the JPX 825's, the JPX 825 pros, the MP-4H and the MP-64's. Despite my modest clubhead speed - 94 with a driver - 75 with the 6 iron - my current handicap index is 1.6 so I have a very consistent swing and a good short game. I currently don't have an iron longer than a 6 in my bag and my 6 is bent 2 degrees strong to cover the gap with the Adams Idea pro 5 hybrid that I carry. I put that in because I was half a club longer with the JPX 825 6 iron than my current one and the dispersion was pretty tight. I was most accurate with the MP-4H 6 iron but was 6 yards shorter on average and didn't launch it as high - I did well with the JPX 825 pro as well - I was less consistent with the MP 64 - felt great - all four irons felt great - but I would benefit from the higher launch that I got of one of those other three heads.

Bob recommended the JPX 825's - since I know my game and my current equipment better than he does I have ordered those in the 5-6 iron. My gut was that I would benefit from the JPX 825 pros with my shorter irons and I consulted with a few people on that very concept and all agreed that this choice makes sense for my game so I have a split set there. I haven't carried a 4 iron in 5 years and doubt that I will now so I threw in the MP-FLI-HI 4 for kicks - I know I could unload that thing if need be and who knows if it's as easy to hit as everyone says it is maybe I'll like it.

So to summarize here's what I ended up with:

3 hybrid (Adams a12 Pro)

4 FLI-HI

7-5 JPX 825

GW-8 JPX 825 pros (8,9 bent 1 degree strong to match the 825's)

55,60 Scor Wedges

I'm very confident with everything there except that FLI-HI - if I can hit it I will have to have it strengthened beyond a doubt - it's 24 degrees and the JPX 4 would be 22 degrees - If I can't hit it I'll just through my old Adams Idea pro 4 back in the bag for the time being - the 4 hybrid is a once a round club (if that) anyway. I was hitting the 6 iron 170 plus on the monitor so I'm going to be close to as long with the 5 iron as I was with that hybrid - amazing how hot those clubs are.

I'd caution everyone who looks at this and is tempted to comment one way or another that my game is my game - I do really well with very little in part because I know my limitations and I cover them with the equipment in my bag as best as possible. I was the first of my similar aged good player friends to abandon a 2 iron in favor of the 5 wood. I was the first to use metal woods. I was the first to carry 3 wedges, hybrids, nothing longer than a 5 iron, 4 wedges, and so on. My theory is easier is better because the game is tough regardless. No cart boy has ever mistaken my bag for a touring pro that's beyond the shadow of a doubt. :)

I'm sure I've driven T absolutely nuts with my ruminating and ordering of this or that. He is the best - hug props to Matt, Rookie Blue, RP and Rover Rick for that input and help also.

I remain totally floored by this prize package - enjoy your fitting Matt - have you had your Taylor Made one scheduled yet?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

No date for Mizuno or TM yet. The one thing I'm worried about is I have been casting the club a bit and releasing early. Trying to get that under control before I get fit. The 64's with KBS ctaper tour were what I was hoping would be a match but not sure if my ball striking will agree. Keep us updated, I look forward to reading them daily. I will do the same. Thx!!!

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Will do Matt - remember I'm 56 so there's no growing into anything here. Were I a younger player I would have gone for the 64's - they were so nice - it's not like I hit any of the irons that I tried poorly - I just chose the ones that I hit best -

The KBS tapers were my 2nd best shaft fit.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That sounds like an awesome experience Rev! I was kinda hoping I'd see a Scor box on my doorstep today, they are usually really fast, but not yet! I also want to commend T on a great job. I can only say that I'm doing my best to not bug ya every day, patience is not my strong suit. I have a feeling that you want this done and off your desk more than we do!

Those brown Trues look great, like my favorite leather jacket that is broken in just perfectly.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I vow not to bother T today or tomorrow - the ball is totally in his court and he deserves a break from me - other than I got rained out yesterday and will tithe that missed round when I have the chance later -

It's a great idea by the way guys - I hope all of you work off of a budget that includes your golf - if you get rained out or miss a round for some reason why not donate that money to MyGolfSpy. If 10 of us started doing that and we missed 3 rounds a year at $50 a round we'd raise the donation level by 50 percent.

Something to consider.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My balls were on the doorstep when I got home for lunch today. Figure you don't need a picture or those or the watch - I'm anxious for the wedges, irons and hybrid to arrive. But I've promised T that I won't bother him and I won't - I just sent him a courtesy note to let him know that the balls have arrived and to thank him again.

I'm hoping to have the wedges when I play on Friday - we'll see.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My balls were on the doorstep when I got home for lunch today.

Must have really been a bad morning. :rolleyes:

and sounds painful.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I'm glad he didn't post pictures of that! :lol:

We are not that type of site.

You know............. :angry:

I guess I set myself up for that. :blink: :D :D

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My Bridgestones just showed up!

My Bridgestones just showed up!

That's better than kidney stones I suppose. :lol:

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Here is the stuff to date!!!!!!!

A huge shout out to Bettinardi, True links, Bushnell, Bridgestone and Scor for being so fast. I know that the Mizunos are on their way, the Sub 70 is coming through and Taylor Made has really saved the best for last.

I'll be on the course with my new stuff bagged tomorrow! Can't wait.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Ohh man, I hope my Scor Wedges come in the next hour!

• SPY VIP

Here is the stuff to date!!!!!!!

A huge shout out to Bettinardi, True links, Bushnell, Bridgestone and Scor for being so fast. I know that the Mizunos are on their way, the Sub 70 is coming through and Taylor Made has really saved the best for last.

I'll be on the course with my new stuff bagged tomorrow! Can't wait.

I'd say it's crazy how much of the stuff you guys won either is, or very easily could be in my bag, but since that's how I conceptualized this thing (a tribute to what I think is awesome), I guess it shouldn't be all that crazy.

Still...every time the Bettinardi sneaks into one of your pics I get a little jealous. It will be worse when Matt gets his.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Poor JBones, reduced to cleaning Matt's new clubs with his drool.

The great thing about 3rd place is that I had zero stress involved in trying to win!

Just the mock up picture of Matt's putter makes me jealous too and look at what I've won.

Think about what's in that picture and then consider that the biggest parts of the package haven't arrived yet. It blows my mind really - you could take what I have sitting on my mud room floor and make two incredible prize packages out of it. Except it's not sitting on my mud room floor anymore - the wedges are in back of my van (windows now washed clean) waiting for me to get out of work so that I can try them out. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

You people make me sick.

Too funny -

It's a tough drive from New Zealand ----- or even from Texas

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Too funny -

It's a tough drive from New Zealand ----- or even from Texas

I have made that drive many times. I am waiting until the TMag comes. I do not want to waste gas twice.

Got the Bridgestone's yesterday, got the Bushnell watch the day before. I played yesterday and the Bushnell was spot on! The course we played uses a +/- system for the greens from the center. He was shooting pins and we were getting the exact same numbers. Set up for my TMaG fitting Tuesday and Mizuno might be next week as well. Here are pics.

watch.JPG

balls.JPG

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Awesome Matt -

I'm playing today so I'll be anxious to give that watch a try - I use Golf logix on my cell phone and while the program is good its always dicey as to whether or not I'll have any battery life at the end of the round. When I'm playing a course I'm familiar with I really only need the green info anyway.

Did you try the measuring mode by any chance?

You'll see me decked out but good Tim - for now I'm hoping my Mizunos get here before my 12:30 tee time.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No Scor yesterday :( I'm sure it will all come today since I leave in 10 min for a long golf weekend out of town! My wife will be calling when I'm about an hour out telling me FedEx just dropped off some stuff! At least I'm prepared for it!

How'd you get your TMag fitting set already Matt?!

Rev, I did not try the measuring mode. I'll check it out.

Tyk, I guess my regional TMaG rep got back with Tony yesterday to set everything up. I'm really looking forward to it!!!

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived